Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Bruce Allens Letter to Redskins Fans On Labor Negotiations

SMOSS89

The letter is just a bunch of finger-pointing; there is nothing classy or impressive about it. Not that the players aren't without blame, but if the owner's want another billion off the top because their State-funded operating model somehow isn't working, then open your books and prove it.

I'm not taking a side with either the players or the owners. What a bunch of crap. All are well compensated for their parts in this game. In a time when there is well over 10% unemployment and people are making life decisions at the gas pumps they can all go to where the sun don't shine. Get a deal done, do without some of the things you want and don't drag your brand through the crapper. Bunch of jerks, all of them, get a daggone deal done and go back to playing football, after all you do get paid to PLAY for a living. Rant is over, 33 yrs. old and these guys make me feel like a grumpy old man.

With all due respect to Mr. Allen, and i mean that sincerely. But the next thing i want to hear from any player, owner, or league exec is "A deal is done"...Otherwise, it would be nice if they could put a firm padlock on anything regarding the negotiations. Really!!

---------- Post added March-15th-2011 at 08:14 PM ----------

Vinny would have written it in crayon and it would have read "lol sry guyz no footballs rite now, and stuff- VinnY"

There, fixed it for you. :ols:

It's not that the "state funded operating model isn't working"...the owners have said they want to utlize the funds for reinvestment into stadiums and other infrastructure to build the league for the next few decades. Can't blame them for that. And I for one am a little sick of the "open your books" stuff. NOBODY opens their books unless they are obligated to do so by the SEC.

The letter is just a bunch of finger-pointing; there is nothing classy or impressive about it. Not that the players aren't without blame, but if the owner's want another billion off the top because their State-funded operating model somehow isn't working, then open your books and prove it.

Ah, some sanity. How owners can claim "poor" and want $1billion back from the players and then not prove it is beyond me. I'm not a union member but I support them all the way. All owners care about is greed and the bottom line.

It's not that the "state funded operating model isn't working"...the owners have said they want to utlize the funds for reinvestment into stadiums and other infrastructure to build the league for the next few decades. Can't blame them for that. And I for one am a little sick of the "open your books" stuff. NOBODY opens their books unless they are obligated to do so by the SEC.

That bit about stadium funding is just a smoke screen. If they can get local taxpayers to pay for it, they will.

Maybe, but running a multi billion $ league doesn't come without expenses and a need to re-invest. I guess the money invested by JKC into Fedex and JJ into Cowboys Stadium were smoke screens?

That bit about stadium funding is just a smoke screen. If they can get local taxpayers to pay for it, they will.

I don't get this...if your not an "owner" you probably work for someone who is an owner of the the place of work your at.

That being said,why don't the "players" just walk away from the MILLIONS of dollars they make and get job elsewhere?

The solution is simple. Now that the union has de-certified, somebody needs to start a new league to compete with the NFL. The new league will offer player contracts (at a lower pay of course) and build their teams from unrestricted free agents and college rookies.

Watch both sides come to an agreement real quick.

Ah, some sanity. How owners can claim "poor" and want $1billion back from the players and then not prove it is beyond me. I'm not a union member but I support them all the way. All owners care about is greed and the bottom line.

I can agree with this if the employees are factory workers where they dont get paid millions of dollars. The players here are being just as greedy. They want complete financial transperancy which is retarted IMO. When was the last time you went to your employer and asked to see exactly where all the money goes so you can see if they can pay you more? Its a privately owed business, its none of their damn buisness where all the money goes. Im not picking a side here, but it just sounds like a bunch of spoiled brats complaining to me. The players really do have it made. Yes they get banged up pretty bad, but I've been working in a hospital here in Iraq for a few months now and I have seen some people way worse off than they are and they get paid a hell of a lot less. Its no fun to have to take a weapon with you when you take a dump. Its no fun to have to share a room with 3 other people especially when it was only built for 2. Its no fun to get shot at on a regular basis. Tell me Mr. Brees, when was the last time you flew coach or had to worry if you were going to have enough money to pay rent this month?

When was the last time you knew how much everyone else in your office was making? Obviously this isn't the every day work place so using that "I couldn't ask my boss how much money he was making" logic is very flawed. The players financial situations are out there for everyone to see; I don't see why it's so outrageous for the owners. Every cent a player receives is broadcast for anyone and everyone to analyze. The owners have brought about a situation where revealing there financial situation would seem very appropriate.

The solution is simple. Now that the union has de-certified, somebody needs to start a new league to compete with the NFL. The new league will offer player contracts (at a lower pay of course) and build their teams from unrestricted free agents and college rookies.

Watch both sides come to an agreement real quick.

Somewhere Mark Cuban is figuring out a plan of action.

You really want to get fan support behind this, add that you need to the billion so that you can now pay taxes instead of using the same line to get out of paying taxes to local and state governments.

Oh and finding out you had a 4 billion dollar side deal cut does not help you in the PR game

And it was the owners that chose to opt out of the CBA

You really want to get fan support behind this, add that you need to the billion so that you can now pay taxes instead of using the same line to get out of paying taxes to local and state governments.

Oh and finding out you had a 4 billion dollar side deal cut does not help you in the PR game

And it was the owners that chose to opt out of the CBA

The actual CBA was up, wasn't it?

The actual CBA was up, wasn't it?

No the owners opted out

From 2008

NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw had been anticipating the early termination of the agreement. He met with owners two weeks ago, and from that meeting he asked for audited financial reports from owners to document their economic problems.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3404596

No the owners opted out

From 2008

NFLPA executive director Gene Upshaw had been anticipating the early termination of the agreement. He met with owners two weeks ago, and from that meeting he asked for audited financial reports from owners to document their economic problems.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3404596

We would have had the same problem in 2012. Except perhaps a strike rather than a lockout. The owners struck first.

No, the logic is not "very flawed". I just might not have articulated my point well enough. Its not a matter of how much the boss or my co-worker makes. I'm in the military, I know exactly how much my boss and co-workers make. Its not even a matter of the owners opening their books (which they have to a point). Its the purpose in which those requests are being made. The player want to scrutinize the books and point out things that they think is frivolous spending to show that they don't need more; and that they could give the players more. Its also a matter of "information security" in a way. I'm sure some owners have investments and investment parteners that they don't want everyone to know about, maybe political reasons, I dont know. I'm not saying its right or wrong, Im just saying that "FULL" transparency is a little overboard.

I think it should be simple

How much revenue have you got coming in from all sourced in connection with the NFL operations

How much is going out is taxes wages and etc

I think the problem here is the level of detail about expenses that the players want, which is just not going to happen. My understanding is that they want detail expense dollar values broken out by team. So they can see if the NFL is wasting money on frivolous things (private jets, fancy hotels, etc.) or if they are spending money on investments, and further, they want it broken out by team.

Forget the NFL, this just doesn't happen in the course of business. Employers don't turn over that type of money to their employees. It just doesn't happen.

Somewhere, there is a way to make both sides happy, but if the NFLPA is going to stick to it's guns on this issue, they are gong to lose. The owners are not going to open up their books that way, and they will be willing to cancel games until the players accept a deal. Or the court rules an injunction.

The best situation for fans might be for the Minnesota court to rule in favor of the players, grant an injunction, and then they play the 2011 season under the same rules as 2010. I don't know what that does for the free agents.

I also don't know what would happen if the court rules that the NFLPA de-certification is truly a sham. (Which it is.) If that's the case, then I think that the leverage REALLY goes over to the NFL. Because that removes the litigation option from the players.

Sigh. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I long for the days of arguing about who was better, JC or CB. :) When can we talk about football again?

I stopped reading the email after the first paragraph. A simple propaganda piece, and one that really isn't really as well crafted as some of you all are making out. Blah, blah, blah, party line BS.

The owners largely created this cluster**** and, imo, are being more greedy and underhanded than the players. The owners want to be guaranteed to make even more money than they already are... if they are really "losing money," the afflicted owners should sell their business to someone who thinks they can make money with the business. It's that simple. While D.Smith gives me the creeps and leaves a lingering slime trail behind him, the owners opted out of the CBA, claimed they needed another 11% of the revenue to "reinvest," and didn't want to prove it. They went to the bargaining table without a real interest in getting something done. They jerked around the player reps (saying they would meet with the reps again and leaving town without letting them know), they apparently give in at the last minute with an agreement close to the old CBA, but right at the deadline so the union could closely inspect the language of the agreement fully. They say after the fact that they would have agreed to an extension again... easy to say after the fact. Why wait until the 11th hour for that proposal? I think the union correctly smelled a rat.

I think the problem here is the level of detail about expenses that the players want, which is just not going to happen. My understanding is that they want detail expense dollar values broken out by team. So they can see if the NFL is wasting money on frivolous things (private jets, fancy hotels, etc.) or if they are spending money on investments, and further, they want it broken out by team.

Forget the NFL, this just doesn't happen in the course of business. Employers don't turn over that type of money to their employees. It just doesn't happen.

Somewhere, there is a way to make both sides happy, but if the NFLPA is going to stick to it's guns on this issue, they are gong to lose. The owners are not going to open up their books that way, and they will be willing to cancel games until the players accept a deal. Or the court rules an injunction.

The best situation for fans might be for the Minnesota court to rule in favor of the players, grant an injunction, and then they play the 2011 season under the same rules as 2010. I don't know what that does for the free agents.

I also don't know what would happen if the court rules that the NFLPA de-certification is truly a sham. (Which it is.) If that's the case, then I think that the leverage REALLY goes over to the NFL. Because that removes the litigation option from the players.

Sigh. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I long for the days of arguing about who was better, JC or CB. :) When can we talk about football again?

Here is the thing though, if player contracts are based on revenue share then they can ask to see what the actual revenue is, if the NFL wants that changed then there were have to be a whole new way of doing things

Archived