Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Ryan Mallett

darrelgreenie

• 2 weeks later...

per rotoworld:

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero does not believe the Dolphins would draft Ryan Mallett with the 15th overall pick.

This aligns with previous reports from NFL.com's Jason La Canfora and the South Florida Sun-Sentinel's Omar Kelly. Salguero believes the Fins would only consider Mallett in round one if they're able to trade down. A source tells Salguero that Mallett had "consumption" issues at Arkansas. "That is a fact all teams know about." Salguero also relays concern about Mallett's "unimpressive leadership" and tendency to "shrink in big moments."

per rotoworld:

So the Dolphins would not take him at 15 because they worry about drug/alcohol issues but they would take him later in the first round or early second? That makes no sense to me. If teams really have evidence and or real concerns about substance abuse they will drop him way down or even take him off their board not just drop him ten spots in the first round.

I have no idea if all the off field stuff is real or how serious it is if it has some basis in reality but based on his on field ability I would say he should be a late first round pick.

I don't know how legitimate these concerns are either. On one hand it could all be a bunch of rumors with zero evidence but it makes you wonder why there's so much conflicting opinion on the guy.

I still hope he drops to 41. It might be a tough decision if we hold on to that pick but I trust the coaches to make the right call.

It seems to me, and I dont think it is all smokescreening, that the QB needy teams are going to run on QBs in the first. teams are going to trade up into the lower first and grab their guy because there won't be anyone left later, even at the 9th pick.

This hurts the Skins because we are going to have to reach for a QB with our 10th pick...whereever it ends up.

Im in the mindset that its better to get your QB even if its a reach than not. Locker at 10, if we think he is the guy, is better than a DL at 14 and a 3rd round pick, in this passing league.

At the end of the college season Mallet was a top-5 player. He wasn't too slow to tear up the SEC and he wasn't so much of a jerk to not be named team captain.

This kid is trending upwards both on and off the field. Mallet in the late-first or later is a better value than Newton/Gabbert in the top 5 and Dalton/Ponder/Locker in the first or second.

The Mallet episode of the Gruden QB camp was awesome, he handled Gruden well, he understood protections, coverages, route combo's, and surprisingly he looked decent in the QB movement drill...I have Mallet as my second rated QB overall behind Newton, and ahead of Ponder, Locker, and Dalton...Before you ask, No I don't have Gabbert in my top 5...I don't like him at all...

per rotoworld:

After speaking to 19 people around the league he "trusts," Jerry Jones of The Drugstore List predicts that Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett will be a first-round pick.

League insiders tell Jones that four quarterbacks will be drafted in round one, with Jake Locker following Mallett, Cam Newton, and Blaine Gabbert into the frame. Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, and Colin Kaepernick would obviously then fall to round two. After a bevy of negative reports on Mallett early this offseason, feeling in the media seems to have become much more positive lately. (ESPN's Trent Dilfer predicted this would happen.) Apr. 15 - 1:17 pm

This brings back the question of "would you take him with the #10 pick?"

Archived