Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Ryan Mallett

darrelgreenie

He comes from a pro-style offense and is ahead of the curve in drop-backs his footwork inside the pocket should not be of concern.

Not talking about his drop backs and footwork in a nice, clean pocket. He is fine then. However, when he gets pressured his footwork doesn't look very good; he doesn't move that well up inside the pocket and doesn't seem to move his feet enough and reset when he has to find a new target or is being rushed.

Not talking about his drop backs and footwork in a nice, clean pocket. He is fine then. However, when he gets pressured his footwork doesn't look very good; he doesn't move that well up inside the pocket and doesn't seem to move his feet enough and reset when he has to find a new target or is being rushed.

I figured you grouped all that in with "lack of mobility in the pocket." Since you cited both that and footwork as issues, I assumed you meant two separate concerns.

He comes from a pro-style offense and is ahead of the curve in drop-backs his footwork inside the pocket should not be of concern.

For a pure pocket passer like Mallett footwork inside the pocket is a critical area IMO. It's not the drops which are the problem with Mallett it's what happens at the top of the drop when he sometimes stands flat footed and then throws without setting his feet and critically does not show an ability to slide inside the pocket and reset when he gets pressure.

I know it's been said a few times in this thread and by other scouting reports but he really does remind me a lot of Drew Bledsoe when I watch him. I think Bledsoe is his ceiling as an NFL QB which is not a disaster as Bledsoe had some good seasons and a decent career but was very reliant on good pass protection.

Imo yes Mallett is a reach at 10.

But, its impossible to know if any prospect is actually a reach unless you know another teams draft board.

I think a team's need should dictate whether a player is a reach or not. Only one rule though: you have to fully believe that player is worth your first round pick.

I think Mallett could easily beat Grossman by midseason if not during training camp.

Don't you think that's a much bigger impact for this team? Can't possibly go wrong by upgrading your QB can you. Keeping in mind that Grossman played as good (if not better at times) than McNabb.

Not saying upgrading the DE/OLB/DT etc. position isn't a great thing. But QB trumps those positions; no?

---------- Post added March-31st-2011 at 11:20 AM ----------

If we drafted Mallett at #10 I would have to buy a robotic arm and get it surgically attached to my torso just so I could do a triple face palm. Its possible some team will pick him up in the 1st but it will probably be late if it happens. He just has way too many concerns about his lack of mobility in the pocket, footwork, and character.

This is where we disagree. I've been really impressed with Mallett. The only other question is does Shanahan feel the same way about him?

He has his flaws, mainly just one big one....mobility, but I like his positives more than I like other prospects' positives.

I also like the fact that you can already scrutinize his game almost at the pro level (played pro style throughout HS and College, reads defenses, makes protection calls, poised in the pocket, can throw on the run, great arm strength, already shows the ability to sense pressure etc.)

I always hear that you can teach mechanics...ie. footwork.

I think a team's need should dictate whether a player is a reach or not. Only one rule though: you have to fully believe that player is worth your first round pick.
I guess we have a philosphical disagreement.

A player being a "reach" has no bearing on what type of player they become.

Imo wether a player is reach or not is dependent upon other teams draft boards.

A reach might turn out to be a great pick but that wouldn't change them being a reach at the time.

E.g.

If there is prospect that team X grades as top 1st round but the rest of the league has them at 4th round pick and that player is taken by team X in the 1st round when they would have been available later that's imo is a reach.

---------- Post added March-31st-2011 at 12:31 PM ----------

Don't you think that's a much bigger impact for this team? Can't possibly go wrong by upgrading your QB can you. Keeping in mind that Grossman played as good (if not better at times) than McNabb.

I think a lot of QBs can come in and beat Grossman out by midseason including some mid round prospects.

For a pure pocket passer like Mallett footwork inside the pocket is a critical area IMO. It's not the drops which are the problem with Mallett it's what happens at the top of the drop when he sometimes stands flat footed and then throws without setting his feet and critically does not show an ability to slide inside the pocket and reset when he gets pressure.

I'll rewatch this clip, are there any specific instances you believe demonstrate what you're talking about exceptionally well?

I know it's been said a few times in this thread and by other scouting reports but he really does remind me a lot of Drew Bledsoe when I watch him. I think Bledsoe is his ceiling as an NFL QB which is not a disaster as Bledsoe had some good seasons and a decent career but was very reliant on good pass protection.

Nothing against you, but I hate it every time I hear Ryan Mallett mentioned with Bledsoe. They're both big and slow, I get it. Manning/Brady are also big and slow. Any comparison is silly in my opinion, Mallett's ceiling is Mallett's ceiling.

A reach might turn out to be a great pick but that wouldn't change them being a reach at the time.

E.g.

If there is prospect that team X grades as top 1st round but the rest of the league has them at 4th round pick and that player is taken by team X in the 1st round when they would have been available later that's imo is a reach.

Fair enough...but don't you think with every team diligently scouting each prospect (all of them more-or-less use the same methods) most draft boards across the country probably look very similar. Especially on day 1 of the draft?

So if the Redskins give Mallett a 1st round grade then the chances of him slipping out of the first is slim; whether they draft him or not.

The Patriots probably have a better chance at succeeding in your scenario since they have 2 picks in the 1st.

I think a lot of QBs can come in and beat Grossman out by midseason including some mid round prospects.

Any of them available for the taking?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/draft-2010/04/25/riders.sliders/index.html

2010: Trent Williams

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/nfl/draft-2009/04/26/steals.reaches/index.html

2009: Alex Mack, Jarius Byrd

(many said Josh Freeman as well at the time)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/specials/draft/2008/04/27/steals.reaches/

2008: Sam Baker, Chris Johnson, Josh Sitton

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0704/gallery.nfl.draft.reaches/content.1.html

2007: Michael Griffin, Ryan Harris, Justin Medlock

2006: Mario Williams (VY was considered a "steal")

---------- Post added March-31st-2011 at 12:50 PM ----------

The Patriots probably have a better chance at succeeding in your scenario since they have 2 picks in the 1st.

The Patriots have a better chance at succeeding at every level of the draft because they have more picks. Belichick isn't anymore skilled than the other top 10-15 talent evaluators - he has just learned that whoever has the most swings over the long haul will produce the most hits.

I'll rewatch this clip, are there any specific instances you believe demonstrate what you're talking about exceptionally well?

Take a look at these plays below. Its more than just a lack of mobility its the slow footwork and him reacting by pressure by trying to get out of the pocket rather than keeping his feet moviing at the top of his drop and movin within the pocket. This is a game when he did not get a lot of pressure and generally had a lot of time to throw.

Pass 3. 3rd and 7 own 45. Gun 4 wide. He changed the protection pre snap which suggests he is given the ability to audible. Despite this he still got quick pressure and sort of slid away to his right looking very unnatural as he moved. Throws off his back foot to his right incomplete with the pressure causing the incompletion. The ball did not come out if his hand well as he threw on the move and came out nose down into the ground. To be fair the receiver he was looking at was mugged on the play and on the ground so he may have been throwing it away.

Pass 10. 3rd and 8 from own 31 (after penalty). Pistol 3 wide with TE on a wing. Gets pressure from his left, tries to scramble to his right but is easily caught from behind and sacked.

Pass 17. 3rd and 7 own 28. Gun 4 wide. Planned roll to the right. Lets just say he does not look much like Newton or Locker when he runs! Looks slow footed, half pumps but brings it down and is then easily caught from behind for a sack.

Pass 25. 3rd and 4 own 35. Brown right (offset I) slot left. Play action to left, slight roll right, gets pressure but uses his height and arm to get a pass out to his left to hit his FB who has released into the flat. Nice throw but again did not look good moving.

Nothing against you, but I hate it every time I hear Ryan Mallett mentioned with Bledsoe. They're both big and slow, I get it. Manning/Brady are also big and slow. Any comparison is silly in my opinion, Mallett's ceiling is Mallett's ceiling.

No problem - I know comparing a prospect to an existing or old NFL QB can be lazy but with Mallett I really do see a lot of Bledsoe in him and the reason I think its relevant is that like Beldsoe he will be as good as his blocking lets him.

Martin I hate to nitpick you, but I was referring to his footwork inside the pocket. 2 of the 4 plays you bring up are designed roll-outs, another he is forced to scramble outside of the pocket because his protection was breaking down MISS St was bringing at least 5 on literally every single play.

The first play you bring up is a perfect example of why I like Mallett. Protection breaks down from the snap, Mallett immediately feels the pressure and gets rid of the ball, not a great throw as you mention but I'll take it over a sack, and like you said his receiver was pushed to the ground on the play.

I'm not trying to argue that Mallett has great or quick feet, all I'm saying is that inside the pocket Mallett's footwork doesn't concern me that much. I also think that with good coaching, Mallett could improve come his movement sliding around inside the pocket.

Martin I hate to nitpick you, but I was referring to his footwork inside the pocket. 2 of the 4 plays you bring up are designed roll-outs, another he is forced to scramble outside of the pocket because his protection was breaking down MISS St was bringing at least 5 on literally every single play.

The first play you bring up is a perfect example of why I like Mallett. Protection breaks down from the snap, Mallett immediately feels the pressure and gets rid of the ball, not a great throw as you mention but I'll take it over a sack, and like you said his receiver was pushed to the ground on the play.

I'm not trying to argue that Mallett has great or quick feet, all I'm saying is that inside the pocket Mallett's footwork doesn't concern me that much. I also think that with good coaching, Mallett could improve come his movement sliding around inside the pocket.

Your right that two were designed roll outs and so not really what I was talking about in terms of his movement inside the pocket but I used them as examples of why its so important for Mallett that he plays inside the pocket rather than trying to move outside it - he just does not move well or have the foot speed to get away from pressure when he is outside the pocket. He does not throw well on the move either - or at least not as well as when he is in the pocket.

Pass 10 is a better example - when he gets pressure rather than step up or try to slide under the rush he bails and he is eaily caught from behind. This was also a game where he had very good protection overall - they did blitz him but the O'line and backs did a good job picking up the blitz and to be fair Mallett did a good job recognising it and on a few occasions he changed up his protections.

Pass 3 as you say at least he got the ball out of his hand but I would have liked to see him hitch step up in the pocket to gain a half a second and then throw it away if he had where to go with it rather than try to move out of the pocket.

I think this is all coachable and comparing him to HOF guys like Brady and Peyton may be setting the bar a tad high but if he is going to develop into more than just an decent starter and become a Pro Bowler and a difference maker he needs to work on his pocket presence and his footwork inside the pocket IMO. That along with getting him to be more consistent in setting his feet rather than throwing flat footed which he did a few times in the first half would be where I would focus if I was his QB coach.

One last observation it was interesting to me that he looked much better in terms of both footwork and overall when he went mainly under centre in the second half. In the first half he was out of the oistol of 'gun more and when he tool the ball in those sets is when I really noticed him being flat footed and seeming a bit lazy with his whole delivery. I think he is a better QB operating from under centre right now - and for me thats not a bad thing.

Pass 10 is a better example - when he gets pressure rather than step up or try to slide under the rush he bails and he is eaily caught from behind. This was also a game where he had very good protection overall - they did blitz him but the O'line and backs did a good job picking up the blitz and to be fair Mallett did a good job recognising it and on a few occasions he changed up his protections.

I'll have to go back and re-watch this play.

Pass 3 as you say at least he got the ball out of his hand but I would have liked to see him hitch step up in the pocket to gain a half a second and then throw it away if he had where to go with it rather than try to move out of the pocket.

In the ideal world yes he steps up and avoids the pressure, but I won't complain about a QB not taking the sack and throwing possibly a catchable ball if his receiver isn't pushed into the dirt.

I think this is all coachable and comparing him to HOF guys like Brady and Peyton may be setting the bar a tad high but if he is going to develop into more than just an decent starter and become a Pro Bowler and a difference maker he needs to work on his pocket presence and his footwork inside the pocket IMO. That along with getting him to be more consistent in setting his feet rather than throwing flat footed which he did a few times in the first half would be where I would focus if I was his QB coach.

I was only comparing him to Manning/Brady in the sense that they're also big and slow, much like Bledsoe.

I noticed the same thing with his feet, but I see a lot of college QB's doing this, Gabbert/Locker/Newton included. In shotgun/pistol formation rather than performing any drop-back, these guys do a pivot and it tends to leave them very flat footed. I understand some plays are designed to get the ball out of your hand so you can't really drop back, but there were other instances.

One last observation it was interesting to me that he looked much better in terms of both footwork and overall when he went mainly under centre in the second half. In the first half he was out of the oistol of 'gun more and when he tool the ball in those sets is when I really noticed him being flat footed and seeming a bit lazy with his whole delivery. I think he is a better QB operating from under centre right now - and for me thats not a bad thing.

I agree that I'd like a QB who performs better when taking snaps from under center, and this isn't the first time this has been mentioned about Mallett. I remember a quote from his HC I believe it was saying that, Mallett gets into a rhythm when he takes snap from under center, and he's just more comfortable going through his progressions as he drops back.

Its pretty interesting, the discrepancy in "views" for this thread about Mallett and pretty much every other QB thread (Gabbert, Locker, hell, even the Taylor one)

Mallett is really not of interest to a LOT of people.

No point here, just making an observation. The guy has killed his draft stock with his personality/rumored problems.

Its pretty interesting, the discrepancy in "views" for this thread about Mallett and pretty much every other QB thread (Gabbert, Locker, hell, even the Taylor one)

No point here, just making an observation. The guy has killed his draft stock with his personality/rumored problems.

Yea because public hype (especially on a redskins board) is always an accurate predication of where people will go in the draft.

I think a lot of this stems from the fact that most people here just flat out don't believe there's any chance we'll draft him.

If we know our coach has no use for the guy, why should we spent a lot of time thinking about him?

He doesn't fit the mold of Shanny-preferred QBs, and our club apparently has shown zero interest.

Of course, knowing Shanny's history of ignoring the players he really likes in a draft, this could mean we end up taking him.

Yea because public hype (especially on a redskins board) is always an accurate predication of where people will go in the draft.

I made two separate statements. That people here aren't interested in discussing him (or at least, he doesn't generate as many "hits" because he isn't as controversial, which is interesting), and that he's killing his draft stock with his personality and rumored problems.

Both are true, and aren't necessarily connected.

---------- Post added March-31st-2011 at 04:54 PM ----------

I think a lot of this stems from the fact that most people here just flat out don't believe there's any chance we'll draft him.

If we know our coach has no use for the guy, why should we spent a lot of time thinking about him?

He doesn't fit the mold of Shanny-preferred QBs, and our club apparently has shown zero interest.

Of course, knowing Shanny's history of ignoring the players he really likes in a draft, this could mean we end up taking him.

There were no signs, or reasons for, us to be drafting a guy like Tebow, especially with Kyle Shanahan's comments on the guy, and his likely draft position in the 2nd (where we didn't have a pick), yet he was talked to death here, and a very hot topic. I know he is one of the best NCAA players ever, but still.

I just find it interesting that Mallett isn't a more controversial topic on ES: We need a QB, and he's got the best arm in the draft. It shows how much his image has taken a hit, and probably how much Mike Shanahan's previous offense is being perceived as the goal here...when its actually been much more like Kyle's offense so far, which was run by Schaub.

I'm not a Mallett fan at all. I'm just looking at it without bias, and observing that it seems there should be more discussion around here about the guy.

Our problem is that we need a QB and there won't be any real QBs left at our 2nd round pick, I believe.

Trade down a couple of times, get a third and fourth rounder, and gamble on one of these guys, locker, ponder or mallett. You have to have a QB in this league.

I've held this in for a littlee while recently, especially as ES is down on Mallet, but I'm going to let it out. I'm pro Mallet. I rate him and if we get him in the draft at some point in the draft I wouldn't be devastated. I think the focus on roll outs etc is over-stated as it's more Kyle's than Mikes so the ability ot run bootlegs isn't as important. I don't know why but I'm pro-Mallet.*

*Disclaimer: I was pro Jimmy last year s maybe I'm not a college QB guru....

From Rotoworld:

>>>>>One NFC executive describes Arkansas QB Ryan Mallett as being like "Jeff George as a passer, Jim Everett as a person."

The exec also called Mallett, "The best pure passer in the draft, hands down." Everett was known as easily rattled during his career, on and off the field. He notoriously got physical with Jim Rome on ESPN 2, and also forced a trade from the Oilers to the L.A. Rams after he was the third overall pick in the 1986 draft. According to Breer, in the league "there is concern that (Mallett's) personality will come off poorly to teammates." <<<<<

From a Dolphins website, but a really interesting, and detailed breakdown of Ryan Mallet. Enjoy.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2011/03/draft_winds_lies_damn_lies_and_1.html

Quoting this just to emphasize the point. This is a very revealing article, showing just how much the media has exaggerated these "character issues" Mallett is reported to have.

After reading this and watching game footage of Mallett play, I'm definitely a supporter.

Archived