Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospects:Ryan Mallett

darrelgreenie

The 2011 Redskins might be in the market to acquire a QB in the upcoming draft and there are several good prospects.

The aim of this series of threads is to conduct a layman's evaluation and discussion of the QBs by look past the stats and the often parroted rhetoric available through media and draft sites.

The goal is to look in depth and discuss the top prospects in action.

The springboard for the discussion will be the commonly available game cut-ups (not highlights) on youtube and may extend to torrents (if there's interest).

All are welcome with the expectation that specific plays will be discussed whenever possible.

The FIRST game we'll look at for Ryan Mallett is the: http://www.secdigitalnetwork.com/SECVIDEO/TabId/468/VideoId/9599/Arkansas-Vs-Miss-State-Nov-20-2010-Full-Game.aspx

Arkansas vs Miss State Nov 20, 2010 Full Game

Arkansas vs Miss St

(1) 2nd & 8-Shotgun:Looks right-throws right from clean pocket 12 (yd) sideline stop route=OT+TR+IS+

(2) 4:02-Pistol-Slot hitch left side open receiver missed throw high=OT+TR-IS-

(3) Shotgun-Quick pressure; receiver falls=Throw away

(4) 14:25 Under Center-Bubble Screen(slot swing) 1 read throw

(5) Pistol-TE slot flare in the left flat 1 read throw

(6) 25:43 Shotgun-(L) Sideline go route between CB and S- overthrown into a very small window probably a poor decision (WR wasn't even expecting it)

(7) 4th & 1Under Center-®Play Action good ballhandling/good fake makes on target pass w/ man in his face

(8) Shotgun-Screen ®-TD!!

(9) Pistol-RB swing pass (L) went through his progressions then checked down

(10) Sack

**(11) 57:10 Shotgun-® TE slot seam over the LB before the Safety 5-man rush picked up patient in the pocket here

(12) Shotgun ®-Sideline comeback? well covered receiver tried to back shoulder give the WR a chance? sailed pass wide looking for a PI call? should have turned down or come off a receiver covered that well with safety help over top

(13) Under Center-(L) Turned down slot slant, threw the post route instead going for the TD-missed through behind receiver

(14) WR screen ®

(15) 74:44 Shotgun Sideline ® miscommunication? same as pass #12 threw a back shoulder go route/throw away pressure on the hit after throw

(16) Pistol ® Slot hitch on target pass under duress-dropped/broken up

(17) Shotgun-Half-Roll (L) nothing open-sack

**(18) Under center Play action ® 10 yd hitch=OT+TR+

(19) Under center-under pressure-bad read/decision go route-Late INTERCEPTOIN!

**(20) 92:00 Under center-Play action Trips (L) near slot post-OT+TR+IS+ Great throw 20 yard strike on a rope in stride for a catch and run TD!!!

(21) Under center-Slot Slant

(22) Under center-Quick Play action-Slot out (L) OT+TR+

(23) Shotgun-Tight window against zone seam sit/stop (M)

(24)Under center-Trips (L) RB stack bubble screen

(25) Under center-Play Action half roll ® pass to the flat

-OT-

(26) Shotgun- Helmet (reads) in the middle of the field-comebacks to the (L) WR on sideline sit/hitch route is a little late which gives

OLB time to buzz underneath the route and TIPS the pass-

IF Mallett throws comes off 1st read earlier or starts his progression w/ this (L) WR he could beat the OLB w/ the throw

Great defensive scheme/play- caused bad decision should have seen the OLB tips pass

**(27) Under center-Twins WRs (L) double slants-hits the outside WR on a slant for 16 yard gain rips a strike OT+TR+IS

(28) Shotgun-Reads from the middle of the field looking at the TE 1st, pressure in his face checks down to the RB in time to avoid a sack OT+TR+IS+ TD!!!!

Summary:

Mallett like most college and more and more NFL QB runs an offense that consists of a lot of 1 read throws: swing passes, WR/RB/TE screens, 1st-read hitches etc.

But, unlike most the college prospects operates a good deal of time under center.

While under center its evident that he's used to making some pre-snap checks and audibles.

During his drop back (which was generally on point) you can see him read through his progressions and generally maintains good helmet/eye discipline down the middle of the field.

The throws I really liked that showed him going through his progressions an making good decisions or good throws:

7,9,11,18*,20*,22,23,27*,28

Doesn't make many throwing errors with off target passes only 2 bad ones by my count.

He occasionally locked to a receiver or had some bad plays (like any QB does in any game)

some of Mallett mistakes imo are a result of him being an aggressive QB he wants to get the ball downfield and make the big play.

#13 is good example of that he turns down an open pass into the flat to try to hit the slot Post route for a TD he missed behind the WR.

But other negative plays: 2 off target, 6 - decision forced tight window/overthrown, 12, 13 & 15, 19 negative decision making.

From this game I would grade:

Instincts+Intuition-3.5 generally made good decisions and went through his progressions often and smoothly;I don't mind the aggressive mistakes too much that can be helped w/ coaching

Competitiveness-4 liked how he battled from a slow start and came back from that INT was solid in OT

Arm Strength-5 self evident

Complete Inventory of passes-5 velocity and touch

Quick delivery-4

Touch-4

Read defense-4 gets a plus for doing some pre-snap work and being fluid in his progressions

Mobility+Avoidance-1 functional mobility but not his strong suit Mallett aint't gonna avoid to many sacks nor run away from anybody

Function while injured-n/a

Not easily rattled-3 didn't get hit too much but wasn't bothered when he was hit, was solid after his INT/OT

Spontaneous decision/play making-1

Footwork/drop backs-3 not light footed or explosive but functional, consistent and in rhythywith his drops and footwork, doesn't like to be moved off his spot

Efficiency-4

What do you guys think?

MartinC's breakdown is on the way shortly (he's actually been finished for 2 weeks, I just finished mine)

Here is my breakdown. Look forwards to your comments - and lets try to stick with the on field stuff as much as possible in this thread although I recognise there are significant off field issues.

Ryan Mallet Breakdown

Normal format for my breakdowns – first the play by play then some overall observations based on the breakdown in terms of mechanics, arm and accuracy, decision making, athletic ability and overall impression. So onto the play by play which is the Arkansas v Miss State game from Nov 2010. Note I’m only charting the pass plays.

Pass 1. 2nd and 8 own 27. ‘Gun 5 wide. One step drop of the gun, quick read and throws a hook to hit the outside receiver on his right for a nice pick up and the first down. Good footwork on that play with a nice base and weight transfer, steps into the throw with excellent shoulder rotation, good wrist snap and a nice high over the top delivery. As advertised the ball gets there quickly and is right on target – excellent arm.

Pass 2. 1st and 10 own 42. Pistol 4 wide. Again a one step drop and quick throw this time to his left, however on this occasion he is lazy with his feet, does not get his shoulder square the target and throws flat footed, the ball sails on him and he misses high. Ball goes off his receivers hands as he stretches to try to reach it tips off his fingers. Thats the type of pass which can easily get picked.

Pass 3. 3rd and 7 own 45. Gun 4 wide. He changed the protection pre snap which suggests he is given the ability to audible. Despite this he still got quick pressure and sort of slid away to his right looking very unnatural as he moved. Throws off his back foot to his right incomplete with the pressure causing the incompletion. The ball did not come out if his hand well as he threw on the move and came out nose down into the ground. To be fair the receiver he was looking at was mugged on the play and on the ground so he may have been throwing it away.

Pass 4. 1st and 10 own 31 . Ace 3 wide. First snap from under centre. One step drop and then quick throw to TE who has off man coverage getting him under the blocks of the two receivers outside him.. Easy pitch and catch.

Pass 5. 1st and 10 Miss 49. Pistol 4 wide. Quick throw to his left to slot receiver running under the block of the outside guy. Easy pitch and catch again but his footwork seems slow and the whole delivery looks a bit lazy almost like it was warm up.

Pass 6. 1st and 10 Miss 39. Gun 3 wide. One step drop and then tries to throw fade to outside receiver to his left running a go. Misses by quite a way long and also out of bounds. I have to think he was throwing that way he was so far off, but if he was he had no pressure and could easily have come off to a second read. Again the whole set up and delivery looked slow and just a bit lazy.

Pass 7. 4th and 1 Miss 31. Heavy set. Play action fake and then hits TE on release to his right for the first down. Took deep drop off the play fake and got pressure right in his face, seemed like the play was out of rhythm and the ball came out late. He made a good throw under pressure though getting the ball out as he was being hit.

Pass 8. 1st and 10 Miss 25. Gun 4 wide. Takes 3 step drop from the snap, keeps his eyes down centre of the field and sets up TE screen to his right. Lots of room and some good blocking gets the TE for a TD. Mallet showed good patience and set up the screen well on that play.

Pass 9. 2nd and 8 from own 31 . Pistol 3 wide. 3 step drop. Better footwork on this play with a nice bounce step at the top of his drop to get his weight going towards the direction he is looking. Looks deep middle then comes off to his check down hitting his back to his left for a nice pick up just short of the first down. That play had a better rhythm from Mallet.

Pass 10. 3rd and 8 from own 31 (after penalty). Pistol 3 wide with TE on a wing. Gets pressure from his left, tries to scramble to his right but is easily caught from behind and sacked.

Pass 11. 1st and 10 own 29. Gun 3 wide. Lets see if he can show some urgency in the 2 minute drill at the end of the half. Hits his TE on a nice seam route for a good pick up of 32 yards. Nice throw with good touch and he took something off his gun on that throw.

Pass 12. 1st and 10 from own 41. Gun 3 wide. One step drop, looks to his right and never comes off the outside receiver. He is well covered but Mallet never comes off him and throws off his back foot high and incomplete. He had time to go to a second read there.

Pass 13. 2nd and 10 from their 14. Ace 3 wide. Under centre here. 3 step drop, had slot receiver running slant wide open over the middle but tried to fit it into the outside receiver at the goalline, falls incomplete, throw was behind his receiver – poor throw and decision. The slot guy was the better option and might have scored with a good throw allowing him YAC. Mallet had plenty of time as well but seems to stick with his first read too often.

Pass 14. 3nd and 17 from their 22. Gun 4 wide. They play for the FG and throw a quick slip screen which picks up a few yards but well short of the 1st.

Pass 15. 1st and 10 own 13. Gun 4 wide. Takes one step drop and look immediately to his right to receiver running a go who is well covered. Mallett has lots of time but rather than come off to another read he just throws the ball away way over the head of the receiver.

Pass 16. 1st and 10 own 25. Pistol 2 wide. 1 step drop and tries to hit TE on quick hitter down the seam, linebacker get hand in and knocks the pass away. Pre snap read and got the ball out of his hand quickly again.

Pass 17. 3rd and 7 own 28. Gun 4 wide. Planned roll to the right. Lets just say he does not look much like Newton or Locker when he runs! Looks slow footed, half pumps but brings it down and is then easily caught from behind for a sack.

Pass 18. 1st and 10 own 20. I formation. Play action dive to left, quick set up looking for hook to his right, very nice base and weight transfer, gets the ball to his receiver very quickly and in a good catchable position. Receiver breaks tackle and turns what should have been a 9 yard gain into a 19 yard gain with YAC. Nice rhythm and throw there.

Pass 19. 1st and 10 own 39. Ace. Again under centre. Takes 3 step drop, nice long first step and gets to his release point quickly. He is looking at cover 2 and wants to hit his outside receiver on a go behind the corner and inside the safety. Mallett has to wait and gets the ball out late but also the receiver does not slow his route just keeps going deep. Mallett I think was looking for him to sit down in the hole. Despite this and rather than look elsewhere Mallett tries to fire the ball in late and the safety gets a good break for a really nice pick. I would place some blame here on the receiver but Mallett had to come off that rather than force it in.

Pass 20. 1st and 10 own 11. Single back trips left. Under centre – takes 3 step drop, looks to his left and looks off the safety then comes back to the middle hitting his slot receiver in stride wide open. Nice touch pass – for a guy with a cannon he can take some heat off when he needs to. Receiver runs untouched down right sideline for big TD. Nice read and throw.

Pass 21. 3rd and 7 own 30. Ace 3 wide. 3 step drop, looks to his left with nice base and hits slot receiver on quick slant with very good accuracy allowing receiver YAC. Nice throw.

Pass 22. 1st and 10 own 41. I formation slot left. Play action, looks to his left, outside receiver runs a go and the slot guy runs a square out. Mallet shows nice base and shoulder rotation gives a nice accurate throw again allowing his receiver to catch without breaking stride and pick up the first down. He is getting a nice rhythm now, interestingly since he started operating more from under centre.

Pass 23. 2nd and 8 their 41. Gun 3 wide. 3 step drop, nice base and smokes a stick throw to his TE running an option route on the numbers against zone for the first down. NFL throw and showed off a big arm and good accuracy again.

Pass 24. 1st and 10 their 23. Ace 3 wide. Throws quick to inside receiver on tight split on bubble screen, nice downfield blocks, bad tackling and nice run gets it down to inside the 1.

Pass 25. 3rd and 4 own 35. Brown right (offset I) slot left. Play action to left, slight roll right, gets pressure but uses his height and arm to get a pass out to his left to hit his FB who has released into the flat. Nice throw but again did not look good moving.

Pass 26. 1st and 10 their 25. Gun 3 wide. 3 step drop, nice base, looks down middle and then throws late to his left. Ball is tipped and almost picked off. The DE dropped in a zone blitz and got under the route.

Pass 27. 2nd and 10 own 25. Ace 3 wide. 3 step drop, nice base and a really pretty throw to his right hitting his receiver for a nice 17 yard gain on a skinny post. That was good to watch – when he sets his feet and uses proper mechanics he looks every inch an NFL QB and a good one.

Pass 28. 2nd and Goal from the 7. Gun 3 wide. Looks over the middle for TE who is well covered come off and hits his back to his left on a check down who runs in untouched for the TD.

Mechanics

When he is on he has very good mechanics, good – but slow – footwork, nice long first step and a nice base. Transfers his weight well and holds the ball nice and high with everything happening over shoulder height which is ideal. Add that to his height and he is not a risk to have many tipped balls. His throwing motion is very nice, good shoulder rotation and nice wrist snap. However too often in the first half he got lazy and threw without setting his feet or getting his shoulders through – when he was lazy he had balls sail on him and lost accuracy. I think he may have heard about that at half time as he was much better in the second half.

Arm Strength

Very very strong. Upper echelon NFL arm. What was also impressive is he can take something off when he needs to and showed some nice touch which is something not all strong armed QBs can do.

Decision Making

In the first half there were a number of times he made a pre snap read and then despite having no pressure refused to come off and made very questionable throws or threw it away. Much better in the second half where he came off some reads and showed more patience and poise. A work in progress in this regard I would say but then all the guys coming out are in this regard.

Athletic Ability

Poor. Looked slow and lazy on some drops and even slower when he tried to move. Very much a pocket passer. Reminded me very much of Drew Bledsoe in his lack of ability to move. Edit – he was timed at 5.37 in the 40 which is an average time .....for a 330lb NT.

Overall

There were times especially in the second half when he looked every inch a starting NFL QB and a very good one at that. However too often in the first half there were examples of him being lazy and throwing off his back foot or not getting through his throwing motion – when he did this he was inaccurate and ineffective. Add in his lack of mobility and he is a guy who will need good pass protection. One thing you can’t take away through is the guys arm – he throws a great ball and when he sets his feet he is accurate as well. He also looked a lot better under centre than out of the gun – it was when they put him under centre in the second half that he got into a rhythm.

The guy has first round talent but there are off field flags and inconsistency in his play which would worry me about him as a first rounder. His background checks and team interviews will be key to where he goes with a number of teams already rumoured to have taken him off their draft boards.

havent read it yet, but i had heard it was coming, so thanks in advance. this is the kind of stuff we, as fans, can get into. especially given the current situation with the NFL. something to kick around, and all....

Any thoughts on his elongated wind up?

Clearly he is better ( as most QBs are) in a comfortable pocket - did you all feel that his (im)mobility and throwing motion required larger pockets than other QBs you evaluated?

How, in your opinions, do you see our offensive scheme mirroring a Petrino passing attack, how would we be able to amplify his positives, or what plays/areas of our scheme would he excel in, based on this tape?

Generally I thought his throwing motion was good. His release is not as quick as say Blaine Gabbert but I don't see him having a really big wind up like say Byton Leftwhich. However he does get lazy at times with his mechanics and when he does he losses accuracy and has balls sail on him. I don't think his mechanics or throwing motion are going to be an issue at the NFL level if he can stay focused.

Clearly he is better ( as most QBs are) in a comfortable pocket - did you all feel that his (im)mobility and throwing motion required larger pockets than other QBs you evaluated?

Well given we have looked at Newton, Locker and Gabbert three very athlectic and mobile QBs (Newton and Locker in particular) Mallet is bound to suffer by comparison. Even allowing for that though I do think that his lack of mobility will be an issue at NFL level. Now Peyton Manning for example does not run well, or Tom Brady for that matter - but they keep their feet moving, are constantly resetting in the pocket and move just enough in the pocket to get the ball away. On this tape Mallett did not get much pressure, but when he did he tended to slide out of the pocket not move inside it and he was sacked twice from behind very easily as he just does not have the foot speed to get away.

So yes I would say he will be much more reliant on above average pass protection especially early in his career than the other top ranked QBs in this draft.

How, in your opinions, do you see our offensive scheme mirroring a Petrino passing attack, how would we be able to amplify his positives, or what plays/areas of our scheme would he excel in, based on this tape?

Good question. I think Kyles version of the offense which we run is much less dependent on an above average athletic QB than Mikes version. We do feature waggle plays and play action roll outs of that stretch a lot and that's not what Mallett is good at by any means, but I don't think that rules him out alone as a possible fit in our offense.

Our offense is much more complex than the passing game Mallet has been running. Like most College schemes there was a lot of one read stuff on this tape so not a lot of carry over scheme wise. He did work under centre a lot and looked much better under centre than out of the gun interestingly. What Mallet does well is throw the ball down field and when he sets his feet he is accurate. That fits with our liking putting the ball down field in the passing game. He can make those stick throws and deep outs with no problem.

If you can pass protect for him, get him to step up rather than slide with pressure he can stretch a defense with his arm and then pick them apart in the intermediate areas. He also has good touch for a strong armed guy.

I do think though that his lack of mobility is a negative and I don't think he is such an overwhelming prospect that you significantly adjust your play book to take him top 10.

Mallett's motion is solid, I didn't notice an out of the ordinary amount of wind up.

I don't think his throwing motion requires a larger pocket then normal.

But his lack of escapability is gonna put a high premium on a quality OL.

He's not going to able to mask/help an OL look better by avoiding or escaping sacks.

If the pass protection up front breaks down the play is basically over.

Mallett is rarely going to be able to make a play when the pass pro breaks down.

I think a lot of what Petrino (that douche)* asked of Mallett translates to the NFL.

*having lived in ATL for a few years i'm obligated to refer to Petrino as such

Mallett has a better understanding of passing concepts, is more used to making progressions and managing an offense at the LOS then most of the prospects in this draft.

Specifically to Kyle's offense Mallett has the arm (and imo the mentality) to push the ball downfield.

He's more used to operating a rhythm passing offense with the routes synched to his drop back then most of the other prospects.

He can sell play action fakes and he's effective, if lumbering, when executing action passes: bootlegs, roll outs, sprints out etc.

But, Mallett's bootlegs will have little positive effect on the running game because he's no threat to run which makes doesn't help maintain backside contain.

Imo Mallett is mobile enough to be used in a similar fashion as Schaub and Mallett has a much stronger arm.

I think a lot of what Petrino asked of Mallett translates to the NFL.

Mallett has a better understanding of passing concepts, is more used to making progressions and managing an offense at the LOS then most of the prospects in this draft.

What happened with Stefan Lefors, Brian Brohm, and Hunter Cantwell? Petrino has a reputation for a sophisticated passing attack that in theory should translated readily to the pros - why, considering it never has?

- This is all said with the full knowledge that one can have a reputation for producing bust QBs that only needs one exception to be proved wrong (please be sure to read the last sentence of this article so funny with the advantage of six years hindsight) -

[fun aside I just remembered - Petrino was one of Campbell's four college OCs]

What happened with Stefan Lefors, Brian Brohm, and Hunter Cantwell? Petrino has a reputation for a sophisticated passing attack that in theory should translated readily to the pros - why, considering it never has?

- This is all said with the full knowledge that one can have a reputation for producing bust QBs that only needs one exception to be proved wrong (please be sure to read the last sentence of this article so funny with the advantage of six years hindsight) -

[fun aside I just remembered - Petrino was one of Campbell's four college OCs]

Why?

I think it has less to do with Petrino (that douche) then with the prospects themselves.

I never really put a lot of stock into scheme/system arguments against a QB prospect.

I figure a prospect is gonna fail or succeed because of their physical talents and mental make-up rather then what system they came from.

Mallett could fail/succeed just like any prospect regardless of his college system but based upon his own skills.

Was he? I didn't remember that douche coaching Campbell, I only remember Al Borges.

-What's your thoughts on Mallett in general and in Kyle's offense in particular?

Mallett could fail/succeed just like any prospect regardless of his college system but based upon his own skills.

Was he? I didn't remember that douche coaching Campbell, I only remember Al Borges.

-What's your thoughts on Mallett in general and in Kyle's offense in particular?

I only brought it up bc you made the comment that based on what Petrino asked of Mallett, he would be more adept at a pro style offense - As far as I can remember, this is the same passing attack from Louisville, and the same complexity for those other guys - I thought Brohm would be a good pro based on that very rationale combined with his high levels of production and intangibles, and Im still not sure what happened to him.

Yep, 2002 he was Auburns OC before getting the UL job.

I think that Mallet has the best pure arm and ability "to make all the throws" of any QB in a good long while. Unfortunately, I think he is the unholy cross between Drew Bledsoe and Matt Jones. I think his ceiling is Bledsoe and his floor is Leaf. I don't know how successful a QB Bledsoe would be coming into the league today - with the speed of defenders and the needs of QBs to extend plays either like Rodgers scrabbling or Big Ben being light on his feet and difficult to bring down in the pocket, I don't see how a statue like Bledsoe could have the success he had in today's NFL. And this is assuming his career is a best case scenario on and off the field*.

As far as Kyles offense, Schaub is a better athlete than he is given credit for, and he can roll out of the pocket and make plays when he needs to reset - I just don't see how Mallett has that skill set, or the ability to develop it. I think we would be changing much of our offense to fit Malletts skills, and if we are going to do that, I'd rather try and swing for the fences and develop a new offense around Newton.

*I completely, 100% believe that Mallett has some significant personal issues. I have been hearing this for years, not just since he declared for the draft. This alone is a deal killer for me.

Nice! I was waiting for this.

I'm right now watching the Arkansas game....and I'm impressed. Now if only Shanahan can somehow trade down into the late teens/low twenties, pick Mallett; not to mention more picks in the bank.

- with the speed of defenders and the needs of QBs to extend plays either like Rodgers scrabbling or Big Ben being light on his feet and difficult to bring down in the pocket, I don't see how a statue like Bledsoe could have the success he had in today's NFL. And this is assuming his career is a best case scenario on and off the field*.
Personally I place a lot of weight on how well a QB can throw the ball but I also place a lot of weight on their mobility and playmaking. Its the main reason why I liked Colt McCoy last year and its also why I like Newton and Locker this year.

Bill Walsh refers to this as spontaneous genius which he considers a trait that separates good QBs from great.

Mallett isn't very mobile and isn't a playmaker especially when compared to the other top prospects: Newton, Locker and to much lesser extent Gabbert.

Darrick, I've this before: Mallett is really the wild card in this draft. I'm not sure if he goes 20 or 42. He throws the ball as well as anyone in the draft. But he didn't run well at his Arkansas Pro Day, and he was not impressive in the other measurables like the broad jump that indicate athletic ability. And you need to be a good athlete to make it as an NFL QB these days.

But, at the same time I think he's more mobile then Bledsoe and certainly mobile enough to be an NFL QB.

As far as Kyles offense, Schaub is a better athlete than he is given credit for, and he can roll out of the pocket and make plays when he needs to reset - I just don't see how Mallett has that skill set, or the ability to develop it. I think we would be changing much of our offense to fit Malletts skills, and if we are going to do that, I'd rather try and swing for the fences and develop a new offense around Newton.
By that same token that Schaub's athleticism is underrated; I think Mallett ,despite his lack of speed, is more mobile then he gets credit for.

Even in this game he executes some movement passes.

I know that a highlight reel is a poor way to judge a QB but indulge me:

Take a look at this clip and focus only on his footwork and movement and tell me if its in keeping with your view of Mallett's mobility:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdagmnnKUx0

I don't think we would need to change Kyle's offense very much if at all to suit Mallett that's one of the reason why I think he would be a fit in Kyle's offense.

But, the offense would be a complete prisoner to the quality of pass protection and lack the benefit of spontaneous playmaking.

I like Cam as prospect, always have, but I can't imagine that Kyle would want to tweak his offense much less to develop a new offense around Cam or any prospect. (I would re-post Kyle's comments about Tebow but I'm sure you've already seen them)

At this early stage in Kyle's coaching career as an OC I'm not sure he capable of handling building a new offense around a young QB yet.

And I don't mean that as a slight against Kyle just a nod to experience.

Now; if we drafted Cam I would rightly or wrongly assume/hope that Mike Shanahan would have a big role if not the lead role in Cam's development and if that were the case I have little doubt that Cam would be a success.

I think Cam would be deadly in an offense similar to Mike Shanahan's Denver WCO's w/ Elway/Plummer and Cutler w/ some Tebow/Young option stuff mixed in.

As it stands now I can't imagine that if Cam was available with the 10th pick the Burgundy and Gold would select him.

But, if they did I would be pleasantly surprised.

But, at the same time I think he's more mobile then Bledsoe and certainly mobile enough to be an NFL QB.

Based on this tape, and the other things I have seen of him, I have to disagree with you here DG. I think he showed that when he is forced to move outside the pocket he becomes very ineffective and he reminded me a lot of Bledsoe. He did not face much pressure on this tape but when he did he did not show an ability to move much within the pocket to aviod pressure or buy a half second to get the ball off which good pocket passers like a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady posses - he tended to slide out of the pocket and was easily caught from behind.

He did show toughness in standing in against the rush a couple of times yhough and his size helps him get throws off with pressure in his face.

As I said in my breakdown I think there were times especially in the second half when he looked like he could become a very good NFL QB. But it will need to be in a system which gives him good pass protection, features his ability to stretch the field and hit intermediate throws down the field and which does not ask him to move that much. There have been lots of QBs who have been good or even great QBs who had arguably less mobility than Mallett - Dan Marino springs to mind. But the pocket passers who have been successful have a very quick release and and ability to move within the pocket.

Malletts release is OK but its not a very quick release like Blaine Gabbert and he has not shown me the movement within the pocket I would like to see.

I personally have no interest in Mallett, no matter the round. He's an overrated QB with a strong arm and little athletic ability. To add to that, he seems like a mental midget. However, the teams know more about that than I do.

I don't want him in the first round, second round, third round, fourth round, fifth round, sixth round or seventh round. He's the only prospect I feel this strongly about. He just doesn't have anything that I feel is necessary for the Washington Redskins.

I think he's a one trick pony. He has an arm. That's all.

I agree with you about not wanting Mallett as a Redskin but I think you are being a bit harsh when you say he is an arm and thats all.

He is probably the best pure passer in the draft as a combination of arm strength and accuracy. When he sets his feet his mechanics are excellent, he generally makes good decisions with his reads (although the reads he has been asked to make are normally pretty simple ones) and he shows good paitence in the pocket.

There is no question he is limited from an athletic standpoint but there are lots of QBs who have been poor athletes who have made successful and sometimes Hall of Fame NFL QBs. You dint need to be able to run a 4.5 to be a good NFL QB.

My knock on Mallett though on the field is that I have not seen him feel pressure and show the pocket presence to move within the pocket and reset his feet the way a Manning or a Brady do. His performance is going to be highly sensitive to pass protection which is true of every QB to be fair but much more so with Mallett than most.

Then you add all the off field flags ........

Bottom line I just dont think his upside in terms of arm and accuracy from the pocket are enough to offset the lack of athletic ability and off field flags. I would not draft him in the first round for sure and probably not in the second either. If the background checks show there is truth in some of teh rumours about him I would probably take him off my board altogether.

I agree with you about not wanting Mallett as a Redskin but I think you are being a bit harsh when you say he is an arm and thats all.

I can respect that stance. I don't like him. I have a bias.

He is probably the best pure passer in the draft as a combination of arm strength and accuracy.

Very much disagree with this statement. When he sets his feet his mechanics are excellent, as you said, but let's face it, quarterbacks in the NFL aren't always able to set their feet. With his lack of athleticism and his poor ability to throw on the move he's a major liability. I don't think he's as accurate as you're saying, either.

There is no question he is limited from an athletic standpoint but there are lots of QBs who have been poor athletes who have made successful and sometimes Hall of Fame NFL QBs. You dint need to be able to run a 4.5 to be a good NFL QB.

I never said that. But let's not pretend this guy is at ALL on the same plane as Peyton, or Marino, or Brady. He's not. He doesn't have the caliber of character or skills that they possess. Even saying that there are poor athletes who are HoF NFL QBs is an insult to those quarterbacks.

My knock on Mallett though on the field is that I have not seen him feel pressure and show the pocket presence to move within the pocket and reset his feet the way a Manning or a Brady do.

This is due to poor athleticism. Being an athlete isn't all about 40 times. Agility is a part of it. Pocket Presence is both mental and physical.

Then you add all the off field flags ........

And really not a whole lot to offset those red flags.

Based on this tape, and the other things I have seen of him, I have to disagree with you here DG. I think he showed that when he is forced to move outside the pocket he becomes very ineffective and he reminded me a lot of Bledsoe. He did not face much pressure on this tape but when he did he did not show an ability to move much within the pocket to aviod pressure or buy a half second to get the ball off which good pocket passers like a Peyton Manning or Tom Brady posses - he tended to slide out of the pocket and was easily caught from behind.

I'm not sure which part you disagree with.

Mallett being more mobile then Bledsoe or that he's mobile enough to be an NFL QB?

Your description of Mallett's ability to avoid pressure is similar to my view.(both in my grade and in my discussion w/ Tris)

I think Mallett scores low in the ability to avoid pressure but at the same time I think he's mobile enough to execute movement passes required for an NFL offense.

They ran some movement passes in the game we reviewed and you can see him execute movement passes in the youtube clip.

I'm not sure which part you disagree with.

Mallett being more mobile then Bledsoe or that he's mobile enough to be an NFL QB?

Mallet being more mobile than Bledsoe. He reminds me a lot of Bledose.

I think Mallett CAN be a good NFL QB but his success will not be based on his mobility. If he can learn to move inside the pocket to aviod pressure and he gets good pass protection he has the arm to be effective. The question then is about the six inches between his ears .....

Archived