Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Boycotting the NFL draft

Lavarleap56

I don't think I've ever met anyone that has gone to the draft. Has anyone ever attended or plan to? I feel like it's mostly for hardcore fans of teams that live in NYC. Ever notice there's always a large contingency of Giants and Jets fans? It's a local thing.

I know a few guys that have gone. Simply not my thing.

Kind of boring to sit there for hours and hours just to see a guy get his named called. I typically watch the first 20 in segments, but never the entire show, even when I did look forward to the draft.

I was hoping there would be a thread like this. No matter how it's argued, the NFL, like all businesses, revolves around us.

The consumers.

Every business, from the NFL and MLB to Tide and Coke, exist ONLY because of the people who utilize their products. Without us, they are nothing.

I personally think that we could collectively make our voices heard. I know boycotting games and TV broadcasts are completely outside of the realm of possibility. Too much money is spent and the events mean too much for people to give up voluntarily. But there are other ways to make a point.

Selling out the draft would be easy. Hell, faking it would be, too. The NFL could give the tickets away to fill those seats, or even pay people to be there if it came down to it. But they can't fake the ratings.

Think about it: The whole format of the draft was changed and put into primetime just because people watch it every year. They make additional money from ad time being sold while they sit there and do nearly nothing.

The solution to showing our displeasure is simple. DON'T WATCH THE DRAFT.

With the world we live in from a technology standpoint, you can get every detail of every pick from a source other than seeing it live on TV. You can see who is selected as soon as it happens, but you don't need to watch the 15 commercials between each pick during their broadcast.

The draft is the NFL's offseason highlight. This will be our only chance to show them who REALLY owns the NFL.

Let's make a little noise for once during all of the tussling over OUR money.

You all aren't taking into account taxes. Are the players employees or 1099ers? If they are employees, their tax burden isn't as large. If they are 1099ers, then their tax burden is larger. Figuring for state income taxes as well, if they are 1099ers, their tax burden is about 55%.

I grateful to unions throughout history who have made life better for all working people. If you have paid vacations, you have unions to thank. If you have health care through your employer, you have unions to thank. If you have Federal paid holidays, you have unions to thank. In fact, everything from higher wages to comprehensive benefits have unions to thank. Just think about it. Companies before unions could pay whatever they wanted without benefits. Breaking unions will again give companies the freedom to make all Americans second or third class citizens. And the rich keep getting richer and poor keep getting poorer.

I'm on the players' side, and will be throughout. We have only to look at Dan Snyder and how much the value of the Redskins has grown since he took ownership. That's why I don't buy season tickets or merchandise. He's making money hand over fist. So are most of the other owners. And when they want new stadiums, who pays for it? The local taxpayers. Is that the way company ownership is supposed to work, get the money any way you can as long as it doesn't affect the bottom line?

I'm fine with people boycotting being in the building, but I'm definitely going to watch it live...at least the first three rounds, I find it rather exciting, but that's just me.

No, I'm with you. While drinking with friends during the first round, and hanging out posting on here during the subsequent rounds the rest of the weekend, its exciting.

I really couldn't imagine attending or even watching an NFL draft. It is dreadfully boring. I normally bring it up on my phone minimize it on my PC and check it as I do something else.

That's why I was personally unhappy when they moved the draft to prime time. When the draft was on the weekends, I could look in when I was taking a break from my chores or listen in while I was running errands. The only picks I really care about knowing ASAP are the ones the Redskins take and the rare ones I know personally (usually now only via the player's parents).

A fan boycott of the draft would only be effective, if it was accompanied --made very clearly through the media -- by a clear MESSAGE of why the fans chose to boycott. Otherwise both sides in the labor dispute would be free to interprete this boycott as fan action in support of their own position. I would not want my protest simply being rolled up as another bargaining chip as both sides lawyers continue to quibble.

MY SENSE OF WHAT THE FANS' MESSAGE SHOULD BE:

It must be made clear this is NOT a boycott in favor of the players. It's the fans saying to BOTH sides how they'd better start doing what it takes to start bargaining in good faith. That both sides better start realizing that the rest of America is scrambling to simply to keep their jobs and homes, and Americans are having a little difficulty empathizing with how these associations of wealthy owners and fairly wealthy players continue on with all their their quibbling and legal maneuvering. Both sides need to realize that it's a two-way street, not only with each other -- but mainly between the NFL owners/players and the American public this group supposedly serves.

The message should be that if both sides don't start considering sacrifiices NOW to get the NFL system quickly back on track -- the public must assume these disputing parties don't really care enough about what it takes to keep pro-football in its lofty role in American society. Because if that's the case . . .
then maybe Americans -- either in their role as fans, as merchandise consumers, as media consumers, and especially as TAXPAYERS -- don't really need to keep contributing to all that is involved in supporting pro-football lofty status in America as well

The last point is that the American public is starting to show their displeasure with the boycott of draft, but everything including nation-wide petitions to prohibit funding of building football stadiums could be on the table, or even special tax rates on signing bonuses to re-coup what the tax-payers have already had to pay out for funding these stadiums.

Just my ideas of course -- but I haven't sees a lot coming out of EITHER side that impressed me as good-faith bargaining. And I'm already starting to reflect on how there are a lot of other worthy things outside NFL related activities whereI'd be better served in devoting my time and attention to as well as my resources.

If this worked, and it's highly unlikely that it would, the NFL would probably go to the streets and give tickets away. One way or another that place is going to be packed to show that fans are still engaged with the NFL.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL has hired some extras, ala the MTV award shows.

Archived