Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Kyle Shanahan Exclusive Interview On 'Redskins Nation'

authentic

click for the rest

"Throughout the year I gained more confidence [as play-caller]," he said. "You have to get to know your team. I think I’ll do a better job next year calling plays...It was kind of a work in progress for everyone last season. You [have to] get in a rhythm, start getting first downs and get going on long drives.

"We really struggled on third downs last season -- we finished 31st. Whenever you struggle on third downs, it’s tough for anyone to get a rhythm. That’s the main thing going into next season. We have to be able to move the chains. It starts with that first first down. If you can get some first downs going, then you can mix in some more runs and some more passes. You can get a little better feel."

Though I don't think the stats reflect this opinion, I think the offense did look better last year than the year before. I felt like a big play could happen at any moment, unlike before where I felt like I was waiting for a miracle.

Despite all the **** Kyle got this past season (and Mike got for hiring him), I actually think that he's going to be a great OC given time and more talent.

Agreed its more of the fact that he's just needing to gain the confidence in his team to call those plays. Last year he was learning on the fly with a new team with new personnel. In Houston he knew the guys as he worked his way up from a position coach and then became a OC so he knew what he had personnel wise. In Washington he kind of knew what he had,but wasn't as familiar as he was in Houston

"You’re always looking for that franchise quarterback and if you get one, then good things will happen."

Wow, must have read my quarterback post in prior threads. Get a franchise QB and everything else will fall in place.

Of course we need help along the lines and a number one WR to name a few problems. But, none of it matters without a franchise QB.

That said, it does not mean reach for a QB at number 10.

I think a work in progress is about right. I don't think he got the best out of what we had last year, limited though it was in some area notably on the offensive line. He highlighted third downs and I would add red zone and getting away from the run too much as areas he needs to look at.

Clearly he and McNabb did not mesh and there is blame on both sides there IMO and that impacted a lot of things. I do feel though we have an opportunity to have a very productive offense if we can address the O'Line issues and also of course get a QB who can stabalise that position.

Agreed its more of the fact that he's just needing to gain the confidence in his team to call those plays. Last year he was learning on the fly with a new team with new personnel. In Houston he knew the guys as he worked his way up from a position coach and then became a OC so he knew what he had personnel wise. In Washington he kind of knew what he had,but wasn't as familiar as he was in Houston

Exactly. And its not just the players that he was more familiar with in Houston...the offense, as well. This is the first time he's created an offense from scratch. It can only get better from here, and I actually liked our offense last year. It was the execution that I didn't like, for the most part.

Of course there were some things I'd like tweaked, but those specifics are probably in the meaty part of the playbook that are hard to get to when you can't convert a 3rd down to save your life.

Clearly he and McNabb did not mesh and there is blame on both sides there IMO and that impacted a lot of things.

I don't think McNabb picked up the offense as well as they thought he would. I don't think he is as smart as they thought he would be. Did Kyle tailor the offense to fit McNabb's skill set, probably not. But, he played in a WCO for years and should have been able to play in this one.

McNabb's poor accuracy killed us on first down. Instead of 2nd and 5, it would be 2nd and 10 because McNabb consistently missed open guys.

Because of this, I just can't see any scenario where McNabb is under center here next year.

The offense is lacking in the talent department. Just compare our team with our divisional rivals. How many of our offensive starters could start for the Giants, Eagles, or Cowboys? I think Trent Williams could for all three teams. Our TE's could make a run at it too. Other than that, everyone else is seriously debatable and that's being kind.

Though I don't think the stats reflect this opinion, I think the offense did look better last year than the year before. I felt like a big play could happen at any moment, unlike before where I felt like I was waiting for a miracle.

In every significant offensive category except for red zone efficiency, completion percentage and total rushing yards, this offense was better and the stats DO reflect that, though several were just marginally better. Our biggest jump was in terms of the big play, doubling the number of big runs and almost a 19% increase in the number of big pass plays.

Which is almost why I can see the argument for spending our 1st and 2nd rounder on the "flashy" positions, to give our team some explosion, something to make opposing defenses afraid. I'm confident in Shanahan's ability to upgrade the interior of our line in the later rounds/FA. The main argument against my first sentence is that this draft has some seriously great DL/OLB talent that we'd be missing out on.

But its hard not to smile thinking about Julio Jones and Ryan Williams in this offense (If Gabbert and the impact DE's/OLB's are gone). This team has NO ONE that scares a defense. Unless you count punt returns.

I don't think McNabb picked up the offense as well as they thought he would. I don't think he is as smart as they thought he would be. Did Kyle tailor the offense to fit McNabb's skill set, probably not. But, he played in a WCO for years and should have been able to play in this one.

I think Kyle expected/wanted McNabb to adjust to his system and McNabb expected/wanted Kyle to adjust his system to his strengths and comfort zone. They never found a way to come to an accommodation and Kyle did not find a comfort zone with play calling with McNabb that he seemed to have with Gossman.

It's seems as well McNabb did not pick up the system and terminology as quickly and easily as anticipated.

I just wanted to add that I don't think our passing offense or offense is in particular need of a bigtime overhaul either.

I think we should re-sign Moss and develop the young talent on the roster this year.

I think that with Moss, Armstrong, Cooley and Fred Davis the receiving corps has talent.

From my view we just need a little more production that could easily come from: Kelly, Austin and Banks.

Last year was Kyle's 1st time putting an offense together from scratch (in Houston he inherited an already assembled offense) and I look to see improvement next season.

I expect to see better run/pass balance and better use of our personnel.

I think the offense as a unit will improve (including efficiency) simply because of Kyle's growth as an OC which will have a trickle down effect to improved play from the QB position

now sprinkle in some upgrades along the OL (RT-RG/C) and imo you have a decent offense.

Kyle needs his QB.

Kyle needs a QB that he believes in and can mold the offense around.

A QB will execute the offense exactly as Kyle expects.

Fwiw, Kyle never wanted Donovan as his QB to begin with. At least according to Jason Reid.

Maybe he didn't.

But I never trust anything Jason Reid writes/says. The players and their agents have been using them as their mouthpiece for years. He's a jocksniffer who never gets the coaches side of things.

Per RotoWorld:

Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan acknowledges that Ryan Torain has to be "helped out with other guys" in the backfield because of his checkered injury history.

"His problem has always been staying healthy," said Shanahan. "This was his first year he didn't have a major injury, but again he could not put together a string of more than three games." Both Shanahans are huge Torain backers, but they realize he runs "a little reckless." We have consistently recommended Torain as a Dynasty "sell." If the Redskins are smart, they will pair him with another back in a committee attack

Wow, must have read my quarterback post in prior threads. Get a franchise QB and everything else will fall in place.

Of course we need help along the lines and a number one WR to name a few problems. But, none of it matters without a franchise QB.

That said, it does not mean reach for a QB at number 10.

There is no such thing as reaching for a Franchise QB imho. If a franchise QB is there, whether it is at #1 or #32, you have to take him because you will absolutely go nowhere without one.

The offense is lacking in the talent department. Just compare our team with our divisional rivals. How many of our offensive starters could start for the Giants, Eagles, or Cowboys? I think Trent Williams could for all three teams. Our TE's could make a run at it too. Other than that, everyone else is seriously debatable and that's being kind.

Not just the offense the D is sorely lacking but is further along the road .

I would really like to get Quinn or man Von Milller (he has jumped up the board) at 10 but if we cannot get an impact OLB then would I be upset if we got Jones - not really would I be upset if we got Locker ( i really like the intangibles with this kid) at 10 - not really. . . my dream draft was the Walters football from a couple of weeks ago with Jones in the first and Locker in the 2nd .

There is no such thing as reaching for a Franchise QB imho. If a franchise QB is there, whether it is at #1 or #32, you have to take him because you will absolutely go nowhere without one.

Thing is there is no such thing as a Franchise QB at the time of their specific draft draft, EVER. There are guys who will very likely be like Bradford AT THE TIME OF THE DRAFT in 2010 or Luck next year and those who have a shot like Tom Brady AT THE TIME OF THE DRAFT in 2000. If our brain trust thinks say Stanzi has the highest potential to be a Franchise QB, it would still definitely be a reach to take him at 10.

Archived