Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Kyle Shanahan Exclusive Interview On 'Redskins Nation'

authentic

Good article/transcript.

I'm glad that Kyle acknowledges that the offense wasn't up to snuff and that he has room to do a better job.

I'm kinda old school and prefer to lean on the running game but doing a better job doesn't have to equate to running the ball more.

If Kyle can create an dynamic passing offense that's also efficient and contains a ball control component I'm all for it.

Kyle thought he would have better receivers. I think he needs to take some of the blame with the McNabb results as well. A coach can look like a genius when he has awesome talent but what does he do when he has only average talent. Last year, little Shanny found out its hard to shine right now as the offensive coordinator. The Skins are not getting any requests from other teams to hire Little Shanny as their next head coach. Hope he is willing to modify his offense to fit the current talent he has on this team.

Kyle thought he would have better receivers. I think he needs to take some of the blame with the McNabb results as well. A coach can look like a genius when he has awesome talent but what does he do when he has only average talent. Last year, little Shanny found out its hard to shine right now as the offensive coordinator. The Skins are not getting any requests from other teams to hire Little Shanny as their next head coach. Hope he is willing to modify his offense to fit the current talent he has on this team.

This!!! :applause::applause:

-No plays to take advantage of our 2 stud tight ends

-No Possession WR to move the chains on 3rd down

- To worried about personnel rather than calling plays!

-No trick plays

- Bad timing with Banks wild cat in the red zone

It wasn't just his fault that our offense underachieved, but it rests with him because he obviously fell short of our expectations. He's got to do better at calling plays for the personnel and stop worrying about trying to get the personnel to ru his plays. Or he's going to be in for a rude awakening.

---------- Post added March-10th-2011 at 01:25 AM ----------

I do find it a little troubling that even when his offense was 4th in the league it only managed 15th for 3rd down completion.

That's a telling sign. For all the slack Gibbs and Brunell got while they were here. That 2005 season they were 7th in the league in 3rd down percentage.

You must dictate the offense to your personnel!

-No plays to take advantage of our 2 stud tight ends

Actually, one of our most successful "big" plays consistently came when both TE's were on the field...I'm sure you remember it, McNabb bootlegging out right, throwing it up the left sideline to Davis for a big gain every time.

But I agree that they should both be involved more, together.

-No Possession WR to move the chains on 3rd down

Not Kyle's fault, but its definitely a problem. Davis should have been this player, along with Cooley, which is obvious.

- To worried about personnel rather than calling plays!

You just said that he didn't have an essential player. That's personnel. Now personnel is fine, he's got plenty of talent to work with, and his play-calling should have made up for it?

-No trick plays

I'm totally fine with this. Trick plays shouldn't be used to compensate for a ****ty offense. They should be used by an offense that knows the playbook back to front, so that they're effective. We need to work on executing the offense and converting more third downs before we start with the trickery. That was amateur Zorn ****.

- Bad timing with Banks wild cat in the red zone

Agreed, but I loved seeing that that wrinkle existed. Especially since they followed it up with a screen pass to him right away. I think they were just trying to see what he could do, and were comfortable taking a FG there if it didn't work...not the best plan, but its the only way to get a live evaluation.

I'm sure we would have seen much more of it with Banks to end the season, but that was when he was playing through injury. No need to risk him on gimmicky plays when he's not 100% healthy anyways.

All in all, I agree that this offense needs some tweaks, and needs more talent. But I don't agree with some of the specific things that you said.

It wasn't just his fault that our offense underachieved, but it rests with him because he obviously fell short of our expectations. He's got to do better at calling plays for the personnel and stop worrying about trying to get the personnel to ru his plays. Or he's going to be in for a rude awakening.

This is pretty well said, I think.

I liked much of what I saw from Shanahan's offense -- concept wise. Execution was spotty, especially when Torain was out and McNabb was in decline. Grossman showed what a reliable short passing QB could do in the scheme but also revealed what would happen to a less mobile QB behind the Skins sub-par offensive line.

Near the end of the season, I felt the offensive game plan took on the extra purpose of trying to assess who on the roster could play within Kyle's system ... and who could not. And as the pieces of the O-line 'sort of' settled in, and we had a 'somewhat adequate' running back --you could start to see how the running plays could enable the short outside passing-game and how the mix could sustain the offense down the field. I even saw flashes of how a Skins offense getting in rhythm that could keep defenses on their heels. (Unfortunately, the Skins defense has really started to unravel and that was putting a lot of pressure on the offense.)

As for the all- important QB? -- As the season wore on, McNabb (perhaps because the injuries were affecting him?) seemed less reliable in running the offense the way K. Shanahan wanted it to play out. I was underwhelmed by McNabb's performance, and thought that Grossman (in spite of his faults) showed better how the QB role fit into the offense.

Maybe McNabb can pick up these nuances in the off-season and be the Skins QB in 2011. However, it seems more probable that McNabb will not be a good fit for the offense in 2011. As the hits on Donovan mount up, his throwing accuracy seems to go down. Also McNabb seems to favor the scrambling, ad-hoc, 'what seems to be breaking open and go-for-it' style that made him successful in Philly. For this to work, McNabb's offensive line needs to keep him relatively unscathed, to prevent him wearing down from the hits early in the season, and Donovan would really need to buy into Kyle's vision of his role. I don't see either consistently happening and hopefully the Skins can move Donovan into the right situation and re-coup some value as well.

Thanks! I've enjoyed reading many of your posts as well.

This off-season and especially the draft will be extremely interesting. I can't wait to see if Shanahan/Allen spend early round picks rebuilding the offense or the defense.

While the defense was somewhere around 31st in the league -- player-wise it was a bit younger and a higher-level talent. It was weaker at the front seven, but fixing the free safety and getting a little more mileage out of Riley, Barnes, and Bryant might actually put the defense in better position than the offense!

From my perspective, the offense seems cobbled together with no-name RBs, journeymen interior linemen, one 'known' WR, two good tight-ends, and questions at QB. Torain hasn't shown he can stay healthy all season, Rabach is running out his string, and Armstrong needs to show that last season wasn't a fluke year. And between McNabb and Grossman ...?

So, it will be interesting to see if the Skins spend the picks to provide Kyle Shanahan with players he's probably been asking for. (Somehow I can't help but think Locker might be headed our way, especially if Kyle really presses for him.)

3rd down is what killed our season last year. Everyone thinks we had this terrible defense last year but our offense kept going three and out leading the defense coming back out on the field.

Many times last year our defense got a turnover only for us to give the ball to the offense and go three and out and give it right back.

While the Redskins were the 31st ranked defense in terms of yards they were actually tied with the Eagles as the 21st defense in scoring per game. The eagles obviously made the playoffs with a similar defense to ours so it's safe to say our weak link is by far the offense.

Hell even the Colts had a worse scoring defense then ours.

Sure we gave up alot of yards but on defense there was still 11 teams in the league worse then us in scoring defense.

We were bad last year because we couldn't score and couldnt keep the chains moving. We need to get better offensively. I dont care for any of the QB's but there are some solid WR prospects, interior lineman, and a RB or two worth of our picks in the first two rounds.

While the defensive talent is impressive this year, offense is by far are weaker part of the two.

Even if say we get a Robert Quinn or Miller in the first and a Phil Taylor or Pea for NT in the second, if we dont fix our offense then this year wont be much different then last year.

Imagine trading down far enough into the first round to acquire an extra second round pick, getting Mike Pouncey in the first, then still having two second round picks to maybe get a guy like Torrey Smith, Leonard Hankerson, Titus Young, and still having and extra second to focus on BPA whether that be a quality player for our front seven or potentially another Guard.

Archived