Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does signing Atogwe make resigning Carlos more or less of a priority?

Funky Art Monkey

You mean after he (HALL) got cut mid season by the Raiders for looking absolutely terrible ? Was anyone else actually looking at him as a potential starter after that ? I think the most I heard was the Pats were looking to make him a $25 mil deal and we paid $57 million .

Rogers has shown he is effective against big WRs, like Owens etc, but with a few exceptions CBs don't take over games - they can shut down a single passing threat which is why you really should not throw high draft picks at the position unless the rest of the D is effective . Take the one good game Hall has had since he has been here in B&G against the Bears - 4 ints including a run back for a TD and we just - barely win .

Barnes BTW has played 14 games in 2 season had 5 passes deflected in his career and all 5 of those PD and his single INT came in the final 4 games of last season when he lined up at FS, not CB . He also earned $1.092,500 last season Rogers earnt $1,409,780 ( Buchanan ? $4,405,720 - just so you know how much signing a stop gap No.3 might cost) .

I would not mind if we still had decent developmental prospects at CB like Tryon or Leigh Torrance but we don't - Rogers will need to come down on his demands somewhat but unless we are fine with the prospect of making the secondary worse which makes the signing of the 30 yo Atogwe a real head scratch-er ... then we at least need to be open to the prospect of Rogers coming back .

You're still quoting the Raider's decision making as if they are an organization known for making sound decisions. Also I'd really question the contract offer of $25 million from the Patriots. Maybe guaranteed. That's not what the market value of a #1 CB was, even in '09. At the time of Hall's signing, I could think of many other marginal corners that got paid in that same range, 6 years, $50-something million, with $20-something mil signing bonus, so I don't agree with your opinion of overpaying.

One good game? That was beyond a dominant performance versus the Bears...clearly a historical one. Also we probably don't beat Dallas without his forced fumble, recovery, and TD week 1 against Dallas. That's more than just shutting down a 'man'...when the ball's in the air Hall has the awareness to locate it. When a RB runs at him, he tries to hold them up and force a fumble. If the ball's on the ground and he's in the vicinity, there's a good chance he'll recover it.

If Rogers wanted to be here, he would not have gone in the press and expressed his desire to get paid. He wouldn't have complained about being tendered last year.

Beyond that, he isn't a fit for this defense. It's possible to get a 'lesser', younger player that plays better than he did in this defense, and that we can develop. When it comes down to it, we weren't some elite defense because of him...how many games has Rogers ever won for us?

Barnes would be fine for now. Nothing he's shown says he can't be that guy yet...he has shown the ability to capitalize from mistakes, which is something Rogers just doesn't have.

They should release Rogers anyway. How many interceptions has he dropped?

About a week or two ago, I was listening to 106 The Fan with Lavar and Chad Dukes. They mentioned that if Redskins released Carlos Rogers, the Baltimore Raves would sign him. Lavar agreed and said that Roger's career would never leave Maryland, so he would most likely land in Baltimore. Do you think many teams are going to pay a CB a huge contract to swat balls, rather than intercept them? The Ravens 3-4 zone defense is known for making turnovers, so why would they want Rogers when he clearly can't do that?

Or let's look at it like this. Remember our game against the Chicago Bears this past season? D'Hall got 4 turnovers. If we swaped D'Hall for Rogers, do you think Rogers would have gotten those 4 turnovers? Do you think he would have made it to the NFL Pro Ball? My answer is that the man just doesn't have hands. He has the coverage but his butter coated his are what hold him back. If Rogers was with any other team, they would have released him a long time ago.

Or let's look at it like this. Remember our game against the Chicago Bears this past season? D'Hall got 4 turnovers. If we swaped D'Hall for Rogers, do you think Rogers would have gotten those 4 turnovers? Do you think he would have made it to the NFL Pro Ball?

And to put it in perspective Hall's 4 picks in that one game is half as many as picks as Carlos has in his ENTIRE career (with 8). That alone should speak for itself. For all the reasons that LL gave is the reason why the Skins should let him go regardless. And based on what he and the other tealeafers have said, this will be the case. :)

And to put it in perspective Hall's 4 picks in that one game is half as many as picks as Carlos has in his ENTIRE career (with 8). That alone should speak for itself. For all the reasons that LL gave is the reason why the Skins should let him go regardless. And based on what he and the other tealeafers have said, this will be the case. :)

Carlos only has 8 career interceptions while D'Hall has a solid 32 career interceptions. Rogers have been playing for 6 years. D'Hall has been playing for 8. I doubt in another 2 years Rogers will get 24 interceptions to match up to D'Halls record at 8 years of experience.

I'm sorry, but D'Hall is the better man.

I'm not sure how true it is, but apparently the Redskins are a potential landing spot for Nnamdi Asomugha.... I'd rather take a shot at him if Carlos is demanding top 5 money. I'd rather overpay a REAL top 5 corner then overpay a guy who thinks he's a top 5 corner. With that said, I'd rather now shift focus to spending money to fix both lines. If we are going to end up playing a rookie QB this season, we are going to need our Defense able to make stops/TOs and our O-line to help our running game and pass protection.

Rogers has two bad things going for him in his contract year... his failure to make plays and his inability (and even worse unwillingness) to come back from injuries. You don't sign a guy to a big contract who was injured most of the year and couldn't come back from a sprain. Who knows what player he will be when he finally recovers? Is a Rogers who is a step slower a keeper? He's good in run support, vulnerable to double moves, gets beat a lot for a "top" corner, and last year looked like he was breaking down. That's not the guy you give a big contract to.

Sums it up for me. He doesn't do enough to make the kind of money he wants.

I'm not sure how true it is, but apparently the Redskins are a potential landing spot for Nnamdi Asomugha.... I'd rather take a shot at him if Carlos is demanding top 5 money. I'd rather overpay a REAL top 5 corner then overpay a guy who thinks he's a top 5 corner. With that said, I'd rather now shift focus to spending money to fix both lines. If we are going to end up playing a rookie QB this season, we are going to need our Defense able to make stops/TOs and our O-line to help our running game and pass protection.

I'd rather keep who we have in the secondary, minus Carlos and spend that money on the front 7 , the Oline and other areas on the team. If we do happen to add another corner, then lets do it in the later rounds of the draft.

Carlos is a solid starter. As long as we don't pay big money to him, we should keep him, not "Ryan Clark" him.

'Course, if another team realizes what a good cover and tackler he is, please don't get into an expensive bidding war. Best of wishes to 'Los, and take the comp pick (if available)

When I think of Carlos, The image of him dropping a Pick 6 in seattle during the PLAYOFFS is burned into my brain. Sure, the guy is a good cover corner, but he can't catch a cold. Let him test the market, and find out that he is Not worth the $$$$ he is asking for.

Lets let him walk. Barnes and Buchanon are decent depth, we need to add a CB in the draft for more depth.

---------- Post added March-7th-2011 at 02:51 PM ----------

When I think of Carlos, The image of him dropping a Pick 6 in seattle during the PLAYOFFS is burned into my brain. Sure, the guy is a good cover corner, but he can't catch a cold. Let him test the market, and find out that he is Not worth the $$$$ he is asking for.

Im for this aswell. I remember a huge missed INT against the Steelers would of been a pick 6 aswell.

Buchanan is a FA older and cost us about 4.5 mil this year - Rogers is better and will not cost a massive amount more . I am not sure why skins fans are happy to settle for other peoples trash ....

Speaking of trash Barnes why do people think he can take the load as No.2. CB when he only made it onto the field with the starters because everyone else (everyone else) we tried at FS either sucked or found their way to IR .

Buchanan is a FA older and cost us about 4.5 mil this year - Rogers is better and will not cost a massive amount more . I am not sure why skins fans are happy to settle for other peoples trash ....

Speaking of trash Barnes why do people think he can take the load as No.2. CB when he only made it onto the field with the starters because everyone else (everyone else) we tried at FS either sucked or found their way to IR .

By all accounts, Rogers actually WOULD cost quite a bit more than that. He's got much too high an opinion of himself.

The same reason people skipped Tom Brady for six rounds. Seriously, what kind of question is that? Barnes is young, physical, and he's showed some potential. You have to give players a shot to prove themselves. Carlos Rogers wants too much. Unless he lowers his asking price he's gone. So what's the downside to trying to play Barnes, or maybe even Westbrook? You either find your young CB you can keep starting for years, you find that they're just quality depth guys, or you find they're a waste of a roster spot and move on. I don't see any reason to keep Barnes basically in limbo on the roster. We need to play him extensively this season and see what he's got, if anything at all.

We signed Buchanon to a one year deal worth $1.5 million, with another $750,000 possible in incentives. Detroit cut him because he was going to make $3.5 mil.

Who is Antogne or who ever he is? Really? My take is the 'skins paid way too much for a guy past his prime that was never that great anyway. I'd be happier with a drafted rookie or current pro-bowler. Maybe someone I've heard of.

Who is Antogne or who ever he is? Really? My take is the 'skins paid way too much for a guy past his prime that was never that great anyway. I'd be happier with a drafted rookie or current pro-bowler. Maybe someone I've heard of.

Wow. You are my least favorite kind of fan.

How do you know if he was never that great if you've never heard of him? ATOGWE is not past his prime. While I agree he is not "great", he is Above average. He is a turnover causing safety.

I'm going to pretend this is a joke and laugh at it: hahahaha.

Now I'm going to pretend this is not a joke and laugh at it even harder: hahahahahahahahahahahaha :ols:

----------------

Anyway, I've always found it odd how people around here will completely dog out a player on the team, just so that they can elevate the guy they like. I mean seriously, someone called Barnes garbage? Surely we can all make intelligent arguments as to why we're on one side of the fence or the other without insulting guys that are still on our team, especially when in their playing time they played well (goes for both Rogers and Barnes).

Archived