Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does signing Atogwe make resigning Carlos more or less of a priority?

Funky Art Monkey

What do you guys think this signing does to Carlos? This is probably about the contract he is pushing for.

Personally I am a fan of Los and I think that this signing will upgrade his use in the new scheme. He can be more physical at the line without as much fear of getting beaten over the top. This style of play would suit him well.

Whats the ES outlook on the situation?

:logo:

Well, I think if we gave Carlos some money like Atogwe, and assuming we plan on re-signing Landry, that would look to be an awful lot of money tied up in the secondary coupled with too much uncertainty in the front 7, and I'd rather keep Landry around then Rogers. I think I'd like to see Kevin Barnes try to take over that spot.

Rogers is good, no denying that, but he's had kind of a rough attitude at time and seems to think he's worth much more than he actually is. I'd like to have him back, but I wouldn't bend over backwards to make sure he stays. And frankly I think the front office feels the same way I do. I never got the vibe that re-signing Carlos was much of a priority at all. We'll see though.

Signing Atogwe makes him less of a priority. I'd feel perfectly comfortable with Buchanan, Barnes, or another marginal CB since we wouldn't be getting beaten over the top that often. If Los gets into free agency and gets humbled, and then wants to be reasonable, I'd be perfectly fine with that too.

But upgrading the front seven has to be our priority on defense. Collectively we probably have the most talented secondary in the league, but they still need help up front...

Signing Atogwe means putting a defensive playmaker in our backfield, one that's proven to cause turnovers. Letting Carlos walk means removing someone that can't cause turnovers and doesn't make many big plays.

That's a good thing on both ends and the right direction to go in by the FO.

I don't like Buchanan much either, he shows flashes of being decent but he's not consistent and gets beat too much. I actually really like giving Barnes a chance to step up this year. With Atogwe, LaRon, and Hall back there, if Barnes can hold his own we've got a great secondary. We don't need to sign any other big name DB's, just find someone else to contribute with Barnes (as #2 CB / nickle), either a blue collar FA or a late round draft pick would suffice.

We help our secondary the most by addressing our weak 3-4 front 7, especially our DL. The DL and OL should be the positions we're heavily evaluating in FA. I like the FA OL available this year and the DL in the draft, I hope we end up with some exciting young talent from both those groups.

Rogers has two bad things going for him in his contract year... his failure to make plays and his inability (and even worse unwillingness) to come back from injuries. You don't sign a guy to a big contract who was injured most of the year and couldn't come back from a sprain. Who knows what player he will be when he finally recovers? Is a Rogers who is a step slower a keeper? He's good in run support, vulnerable to double moves, gets beat a lot for a "top" corner, and last year looked like he was breaking down. That's not the guy you give a big contract to.

i dont think signing rogers now is a PRIORITY or MORE IMPORTANT but i think it would be foolish to let him go if we can at all keep him. so yeah i get frustrated with the drops just like ya;;, but he is a good cover corner and a beast tackler! i think if we can get him to sign a rasonable deal our secondary could be set for years to come.

I would love to bring Rogers back, however I would be surprised if we do. The man seems to want to be paid like a top 5 corner, without putting up the important stats of a top 5 corner. Maybe if he could catch the ball he would have a chance. If he ends up back, its because no team would pay him the big money he wants and he comes back here because he likes the team/players/coaches.

i dont think signing rogers now is a PRIORITY or MORE IMPORTANT but i think it would be foolish to let him go if we can at all keep him. so yeah i get frustrated with the drops just like ya;;, but he is a good cover corner and a beast tackler! i think if we can get him to sign a rasonable deal our secondary could be set for years to come.

I'd say he is an above average corner and a very good tackler. He gets beat way too often, doesn't scare corners, and gives up way too many first downs and big plays to be considered a good cover corner. D Green didn't have very good hands, but qbs avoided him and offensive game planners stayed clear. Now, Rogers doesn't have to be in Green's class to be considered a good corner, but he is very far from an elite corner. I have to imagine there's a reason that every defensive coach insists that he plays 10 yards off the receiver presnap. It has to have something to do with Carlos himself.

I think I'm also tired of players whose bark is so much worse than their bite, but never stop yapping.

I think this is more if a message from the front office...they did not and would not pay Los what he wants, but had no problem paying A J. I think that it is pretty clear they have no intention of paying him top 5, and he does not deserve top 5. I see little chance of him back and think we operate fine without him.

I think the CBA could have more bearing on Carlos than the signing of Atogwe. The later an agreement is reached, the further likelihood this season could be uncapped as well. If we're going to throw money at that spot, I'd rather sign Nnamdi Asomugha and let Carlos head to the Raiders. While it's a danger, as we saw with Fat Albert, throwing a lot of upfront money to Asomugha would alleviate cap space when the cap goes back into effect. If a new CBA happens soon and there IS a cap this season then re-signing Carlos could be more likely.

Doesn't matter. I don't think 'Los was a priority regardless. He already said that he's all about the big $$ in the neighbor hood of $57mill (see Dunte Robinson). His attitude mixed with his lack of playmaking ability pretty much makes it a lock that he's not coming back.

Los is ghost, so on the next one. Skins will be perfectly fine and better without Carlos. Los wants top corner money, sat himself towards the end of last season while healthy and openly said it in interviews. So really its not gonna happen. Skins train is going in the right direction but los isn't going to be on it and I agree 100%.

Landry is the contract priority. With Landry, Hall and Atogwe, Rogers and Buchanan are expendable. Go with Barnes and a draft pick and a modest and younger FA CB. This secondary is much better than last year, with or without Carlos. If he wants big money, more power to him, but let it be in Buffalo or Oakland or Arizona.

Los is ghost, so on the next one. Skins will be perfectly fine and better without Carlos. Los wants top corner money, sat himself towards the end of last season while healthy and openly said it in interviews. So really its not gonna happen. Skins train is going in the. right direction but los isn't going to be on it and I agree 100%.

Thanks for the insight LL56. :cheers:

I agree...and that's before your comment. 'Los' ego has gotten the better of him.

Los is ghost, so on the next one. Skins will be perfectly fine and better without Carlos. Los wants top corner money, sat himself towards the end of last season while healthy and openly said it in interviews. So really its not gonna happen. Skins train is going in the right direction but los isn't going to be on it and I agree 100%.

yeah, 'los have run his big mouth for a long time in the media regarding alot of different things. Let him drop picks and make excuses for lack of making plays somewhere else. Very Good!

We need to let Carlos walk and sign the younger Jonathen Joseph. I'm confident Shanny will not overpay for Carlos and he will find a great CB in free agency.

Our priority needs to be front seven at this point. Landry, Atogwe, D. Hall in our backfield is nasty. We can settle with a decent corner in FA to replace Carlos. If we build up our NT, OLB spot....then our defense has promise.

Archived