Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

False Report: Packers don't tender RFA James Jones

PokerPacker

I haven't seen that many Packers games but from what I saw that dude seems to drop a **** ton of passes.

He'll have a bone-headed drop one play, but come back with a spectacular play the next. I think it was against the Eagle's he dropped the sure TD to end the half, but then in the second half leapt up over the philly D and grabbed the ball for a spectacular TD. If he can get some consistency in his hands (catching and not-fumbling), he's a #1 receiver.

Dukes: I think they'll try to re-sign him, but I no longer feel comfortable saying they'll go all out trying to keep him. We still have Jennings and Nelson who can be around for a long time, and getting Finley back gives us 3 long-term serious receiving threats. Maybe we'll find someone in the draft to replace Jones? We still have Driver for now, I think, so we're set for short-term receiving threats. I just don't know our plans for Jones anymore.

If he can get some consistency in his hands (catching and not-fumbling), he's a #1 receiver.

This is what they've said about Braylon Edwards ever since his one spectacular season. And he still isn't a real #1, in my opinion.

Doesn't mean Jones will end up the same way. But superior focus and hands are a couple of things that are really tough for a WR to learn, if they don't naturally have them.

Edit: But then you have a guy like Lloyd who's always had amazing hands and ability to make the ridiculous circus catch, but also always had focus issues....and he blows it up after 7 years in the league. So its possible that Jones' story isn't written yet.

The only thing that worries me is that Jordy Nelson is an unspectacular WR, who is about half a season (at the most) from being the #2 WR in GB without James Jones there (but still the #3 target, behind Finley and Jennings). So that tells me that James Jones wants WAY too much money, or GB would be re-signing him.

This is what they've said about Braylon Edwards ever since his one spectacular season. And he still isn't a real #1, in my opinion.

Doesn't mean Jones will end up the same way. But superior focus and hands are a couple of things that are really tough for a WR to learn, if they don't naturally have them.

Edit: But then you have a guy like Lloyd who's always had amazing hands and ability to make the ridiculous circus catch, but also always had focus issues....and he blows it up after 7 years in the league. So its possible that Jones' story isn't written yet.

it is indeed a big if. He's shown he has all the tools, he just needs to get his head on straight and make some of those catches. He won't ever be an elite #1, in my opinion, and he may never be the #1 option, but he certainly has the potential to be somebody's #1.

The only thing that worries me is that Jordy Nelson is an unspectacular WR, who is about half a season (at the most) from being the #2 WR in GB without James Jones there (but still the #3 target, behind Finley and Jennings). So that tells me that James Jones wants WAY too much money, or GB would be re-signing him.

I don't think you're giving Jordy Nelson enough credit. He and Jones have practically been 3a and 3b. He may not make very many eye-popping spectacular plays, but he's a consistent threat who runs good routes, gets open, and keeps the chains moving. When Driver finally decides to hang it up, I'd be content with he or Jones as our #2 (though preferably we'd retain both).

I'm starting to think our decision to try to retain Jones this offseason hinges on what we do in the draft. I would think we'd look to go after one with Jones' future uncertain and Driver's arthritis starting to set in, but then again TT has his infamous Best Player Available approach.

He'll have a bone-headed drop one play, but come back with a spectacular play the next. I think it was against the Eagle's he dropped the sure TD to end the half, but then in the second half leapt up over the philly D and grabbed the ball for a spectacular TD. If he can get some consistency in his hands (catching and not-fumbling), he's a #1 receiver.

Dukes: I think they'll try to re-sign him, but I no longer feel comfortable saying they'll go all out trying to keep him. We still have Jennings and Nelson who can be around for a long time, and getting Finley back gives us 3 long-term serious receiving threats. Maybe we'll find someone in the draft to replace Jones? We still have Driver for now, I think, so we're set for short-term receiving threats. I just don't know our plans for Jones anymore.

I didn't know that Carlos Rogers was one of your receivers.

I didn't know that Carlos Rogers was one of your receivers.

Jones drops some passes but he's not nearly 50/50 like Gardner was, or like Braylon Edwards is. I watched the Packers last half of the season and he dropped a handful of passes he should have caught (and some were pretty big plays, usually long bombs), but I'd bet Moss dropped more passes than Jones did.

I'd be really happy to get Jones, and I honestly think if people here can stomach Moss' drops, they'd be fine with Jones.

Rather surprised nobody posted this as he's been a big topic of discussion regarding FAs, but the Packers didn't even tender him leaving him a FA regardless of the CBA.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/41914779/ns/sports-player_news/

Yo they did tender Jones:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/07/james-jones-says-he-did-get-a-rfa-tender/

I'd change that title.

As for Jones in the B&G nope not interested at all. He's way to inconsistant for me.

Yup, he got tendered but tenders right now are as useful as $19 in your bank account and having an ATM card.

James Jones: Packers did offer RFA tender

James Jones indicated Sunday that he was, in fact, extended a restricted free agent tender by the Packers.

Jones' word on the tender obviously carries more weight than the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's. While the tender will likely end up meaningless for a player of four years' service, it does change the perception that the Packers are ready to move on from Jones. He may end up landing bigger money and a starting job on the open market, but it's not because the Packers sent him packing. Mar 6, 11:34 PM

Source: Jason Wilde on Twitter

He's a solid #2, marginal #1 WR for most teams. Doubt that the Packers will be able to afford his salary once he hits the open market.

One can hope, can't he? Assuming Von Miller is gone and no one like Fairley inexplicably drops to #10, I don't think someone like Jones is out of the question.

You've still got a chance at Blaine Gabbert, Robert Quinn, Cameron Jordan. All of which should get consideration over Jones, even if he wasn't having surgery to repair a broken foot.

Devin Thomas would be making a lot more plays if he was a Packer. Rodgers would make him a better WR. I thought Jordy Nelson was great too, but he drops a lot of passes too.

No he wouldn't. People need to get off Devin Thomas's nuts. He is a terrible football player. After we cut him the only team interested in him was the Giants and that's because they had their top 3 WRs all hurt I believe, and even then he pretty much never played.

Archived