Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Shanahan Says Pass-Rushing Linebacker Is Top Need

Oldskool

The 10th pick is getting better each day. At this point it seems like one of the top QBs, WRs, DTs, or CBs will be on the board when we pick. We need help everywhere, so we can add a player if someone we covet is there or I think we'll have a great shot to move down. 10th overall isn't that difficult to trade out of. Top 5 is brutal with the bonuses. Of course if a new CBA is agreed upon that could all be moot... but I think we'll be receiving a lot of calls from teams looking to move up.

I wouldn't trust Shanahan as far as I could throw him.

I hope you are right. With all the quality in this years draft, more picks would be ideal.

I don't understand the hate on Casey Matthews? Talent runs in blood streams. If he goes on the juice like Clay did for a bit, his figure would be very similar. If he is available in the later rounds, I would hope we exhaust the option of picking him. Look at him, 2 months of juice, he would look like a raging animal just like his brother.

I just saw that the Jets plan to release a boatload of players- Woody, Jenkins, Gholston, and Taylor. Although he's fading, it would be nice to bring Jenkins in at NT if we don't end up addressing the position at the draft. that way, we can stick to OLB for defense in the first 2 rounds and use the other on G, WR, or QB.

I tend to agree. Ingram is a great back but Shanahan has never placed high priority on that position. He tends to get by with a combination of late draft picks and second tier free agent signings. With the short lifespan of the position I think it's a little foolish to spend a high pick on one. He also seem to be a fairly similar, although better, version of Ryan Torain.

I agree with unlikely, but not entirely out of the question. Shanahan has taken running backs in the second round.

I figured we already had that in Orakpo... You can get a good LB in the 2nd round I think we should go in a different direction in the first.

Yes but to be really effective in a 3-4 you need a pass rush threat from both outside linebackers or its too easy for the offense to adjust blocking schemes and slide protection one way or another.

I thought Bryant was solid at NT when he played late in the year and while an upgrade is needed he is serviceable. Getting a RDE who can hold his ground against a double team and also provide some pass rush (JJ Watt - 290 and an a 4.7 40 at the combine ?) and an outside linebacker who can bookend Orakpo would transform our front seven and whole defense.

Of course we only have one pick and so cant cover both positions at the 10 spot. I tend to think Von Miller will be gone before we pick and we might get better value taking Watt at the DE spot than any linebacker who will be available when we pick.

This is music to my ears, and what I've been saying.

Von Miller needs to be on top of our board.

If he's not there when we pick, fine. But if he is there should be no question as to who we pick.

This would make Rak more effective, and in turn it would make Miller more effective. Teams can't slide protect to Rak's side anymore. Now they have to guess who's coming and when.

I hope Miller falls to us.

We could use a top pass rushing linebacker, but Shanny seems to play poker when it comes to this kind of stuff. It's very unlike him to telegraph his moves Vinny style and if anything he likes to throw people off the scent. So am guessing it likely means with pick #10 watch for Gabbert if he's there or J Jones. You can get your pass rushing linebacker at #10 in the 2nd round with guys like Houston who might fall, B. Carter, etc.

My bet is Jake Locker at 10. After watching NFL network, two guy's that I really admire (Mayock and Casserly) both had no problem with Locker going 10. That tells me that despite whatever concerns that people have about him, he is worth a top ten pick and would not last until a later pick. Also coach very rarely tips his hand and all the talk has been around a pass rushing lb. My bet is they go after one in the second.

I'm still a Quinn over Miller guy.

Miller didn't look fluid in the lb drills at all. Rushing the passer, sure, but he's light in the pants, can't play the SAM. Quinn gives you as much explosiveness with 20 extra pounds. Both need to adjust more to playing in space.

This is music to my ears, and what I've been saying.

Von Miller needs to be on top of our board.

If they could get Von Miller,.....that's the guy I want now. I saw his combine,....that dood is a straight up stud. I have man love for him.
That guy just looks better and better. He's played well as both a 3-4 OLB and a 4-3 End. He seems like the real deal.

Pass rushing LBs are a huuuuuge potential for a bust. Orakpo seemed like such no brainer when we drafted him but as a 3-4 OLB it was a huge gamble.

• 1 month later...
That might have changed somewhat had Locker been there though. I hope he gets asked that from a local reporter covering the team.

In his interview on the OS, closing out day 3 of the draft, he alluded to hearing a strong rumour of Locker going at #8. He said that story broke, essentially within the walls of the draft war rooms, about an hour or so prior to the pick being made. Thought that was interesting, as jumping to SF at #7 wasn't a back breaker if he really wanted Locker.:whoknows:

Archived