Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Shanahan Says Pass-Rushing Linebacker Is Top Need

Oldskool

Using the Patriots as an example is not a good example. Crumpler was more of a blocking TE which leaves Aaron and Rob. I'm pretty sure they caught most of their passes at the slot WR position plus the Pats passed the ball a lot and spread the ball around to actual WRs and RBs lining up as WRs and coming out of the backfield. The impressive thing about the Pats is Aaron and Rob being rookies. Just another reason to trade Cooley, because he is easy to replace...

---------- Post added February-27th-2011 at 04:16 PM ----------

In the 4-3 we had plenty depth. Vinny did a good job in creating a solid defensive roster. Shanahan didn't need to put his greasy hands on the defense...

I'll respectfully disagree. I know the D had solid numbers, but I can't think of a better term to describe them than average. Average, average, average. Rarely got a stop when they needed it. I NEVER felt comfortable when the opponent was making a drive with the game on the line. And more times than not we screwed the pooch.

Because I just left the Portis thread I'll just say that the whole organization has been average at best for the last 5 years. I can't understand how anyone can look back and find any positives. The players were average, the coaching was average, etc., etc., and that's in a best case scenario.

I'd much rather have a Quinn over Miller. With Miller, you'd have to move Orakpo from the Jack to the Sam. Miller is too small to handle the POA at SAM.

That said, I'd be happy with a Watt, Quinn, one of the corners or receivers over Ayers. I'd even take a flyer on one of the three QBs. I think Ayers is a need but wouldn't be BPA. Trade back and get a third? Absolutely!!

I'll respectfully disagree. I know the D had solid numbers, but I can't think of a better term to describe them than average. Average, average, average. Rarely got a stop when they needed it. I NEVER felt comfortable when the opponent was making a drive with the game on the line. And more times than not we screwed the pooch.

Because I just left the Portis thread I'll just say that the whole organization has been average at best for the last 5 years. I can't understand how anyone can look back and find any positives. The players were average, the coaching was average, etc., etc., and that's in a best case scenario.

I'll respectfully disagree with that as well.

An average defense does not give up back-to-back 90+ -yard touchdown drives to an 0-19 team, ever. That was just pathetic. That defense was awful, ONLY giving up the big play when it killed us the most.

Aside from 2007, this team has just been really bad for the past five years.

I would like for us to grab Hokies cornerback Rashad Carmichael. Plus he is a Big Skins fan. lol, I wonder if the second round is to high for him?

I found this in a article after Michael Vick's big game against us, he talks like he is part of the Skins already.

Several current Hokies were cheering along with Beamer last night. Even Carmichael, a big Redskins fan.

“We’ve got a little work to do in that secondary,” he said, calling Vick’s game an “A-plus-plus-plus. He had a great game. It was just like he was in college again. It looked like he was having fun again. I was also watching (DeAngelo) Hall. I try to keep up with him to see if I can learn anything. (Vick) beat (Hall) on a couple plays. I was just wondering what they had to say about that after the game, when D-Hall and Vick got to talk.”

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/11/miami-week-vol-3-hokies-face-miamis-backup-qb-amazed-former-vt-qb

I would love Von Miller as much as anyone, but one of the advantages to having so many holes is that there are so many options for us in the draft. Miller, Green, Jones, Ayers, Gabbert, and the list goes on of people who wouldn't disappoint me at #10.

We have the #30th ranked defense and we are transitioning from a 4-3 to a 3-4 in a draft filled with 3-4 defensive guys.

Anything other than defense at #10 would be a huge dissapointment.

Von is a huge Dallas Cowboy fan. lol :ols:

Here he talks about wanting to play for Dallas or Houston:

http://www.cbs.com/sports/video/?pid=aBOZtqfNo784M7lQfjW8ZLyK5dQGGeqR&vs=homepage&play=true

He'll learn how to hate the Boys once he has on B&G for a lil while.

---------- Post added February-27th-2011 at 08:54 PM ----------

I haven't been too impressed with what I've been seeing from Ayers. Hopefully we can get Von Miller.

Yeah I have a feeling Ayers will be a bust. Hopefully the Cowboys take him and the two CBs are gone by #9.

---------- Post added February-27th-2011 at 08:57 PM ----------

I would like for us to grab Hokies cornerback Rashad Carmichael. Plus he is a Big Skins fan. lol, I wonder if the second round is to high for him?

I found this in a article after Michael Vick's big game against us, he talks like he is part of the Skins already.

Several current Hokies were cheering along with Beamer last night. Even Carmichael, a big Redskins fan.

“We’ve got a little work to do in that secondary,” he said, calling Vick’s game an “A-plus-plus-plus. He had a great game. It was just like he was in college again. It looked like he was having fun again. I was also watching (DeAngelo) Hall. I try to keep up with him to see if I can learn anything. (Vick) beat (Hall) on a couple plays. I was just wondering what they had to say about that after the game, when D-Hall and Vick got to talk.”

http://hamptonroads.com/2010/11/miami-week-vol-3-hokies-face-miamis-backup-qb-amazed-former-vt-qb

Yeah we had talked to him but he is projected to go in the fourth. I'd take a chance on him if he is there in the 5th round. I would like to put him at FS.

I would love Von Miller as much as anyone, but one of the advantages to having so many holes is that there are so many options for us in the draft. Miller, Green, Jones, Ayers, Gabbert, and the list goes on of people who wouldn't disappoint me at #10.

Von would be nice, but I really like Ayers. Been watching him all year. If Miller is gone @ 10, which he will be, I would love to see us fall back in the 1st and pick up Ayers.

This also could be a smoke screen, so a team won't trade up before the 10 spot, to pick a QB that Shanny wants.

---------- Post added February-28th-2011 at 08:08 AM ----------

Casey Mathews anyone? Just because its a priority doesn't mean we need to use our first rounder. Dareus then Mathews would be nice.

Maybe in the 4th round. He is too small.

Shanahan will not be drafting Mark Ingram with the 10th pick.

I tend to agree. Ingram is a great back but Shanahan has never placed high priority on that position. He tends to get by with a combination of late draft picks and second tier free agent signings. With the short lifespan of the position I think it's a little foolish to spend a high pick on one. He also seem to be a fairly similar, although better, version of Ryan Torain.

I'm on board with addressing OLB but I'd like a guy with some coverage ability. Orakpo is a great speed rusher but he doesn't have a ton of moves or much coverage ability. It would be nice to get a guy that somewhat contrasts that rather than having two of the same player. That being said it would still be extremely difficult to block two Orakpos.

I agree. I'd take any of those at 10.

And to everyone: Don't put it past Shanahan to blow smoke up the media's butt. He rarely shows his hand.

I agree. I'd take any of those at 10.

And to everyone: Don't put it past Shanahan to blow smoke up the media's butt. He rarely shows his hand.

The 10th pick is getting better each day. At this point it seems like one of the top QBs, WRs, DTs, or CBs will be on the board when we pick. We need help everywhere, so we can add a player if someone we covet is there or I think we'll have a great shot to move down. 10th overall isn't that difficult to trade out of. Top 5 is brutal with the bonuses. Of course if a new CBA is agreed upon that could all be moot... but I think we'll be receiving a lot of calls from teams looking to move up.

I wouldn't trust Shanahan as far as I could throw him.

Archived