Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gallup: Mississippi Rates as the Most Conservative U.S. State

ljs

I found this interesting. Especially the vast difference between Washington and Idaho. I live on the boarder of the 2, and I really do see both ends of the spectrum. Not much middle ground.

I found their explanation of how they interpret the poll pretty good as well.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/146348/Mississippi-Rates-Conservative-State.aspx

PRINCETON, NJ -- Mississippi is home to the largest percentage of conservatives among U.S. states, with a slim majority identifying their political views as conservative. Several other states, including Idaho, Alabama, Wyoming, and Utah approach 50% conservative identification. Vermont, Rhode Island, and the District of Columbia have the greatest percentages of self-identified liberals.

When I searched to see if anyone had posted this, I did find an old thread from '09 that Jumbo started- An article stating Mississippi was deemed the most religious state.

Thankfully Virginia is slowly crawling out of the conservative nonsense it once was, even if it is only a couple of counties up north.

I still dream of Northern Virginia statehood.

It's interesting how big the numbers are for the conservative states (40-50%) vs the liberal states (20-30%). I bet that's just a semantics thing. If you asked people what they believed in and then labeled them according to their beliefs, rather then asking them simply for a label, the numbers would be much more comparable.

It's interesting how big the numbers are for the conservative states (40-50%) vs the liberal states (20-30%). I bet that's just a semantics thing. If you asked people what they believed in and then labeled them according to their beliefs, rather then asking them simply for a label, the numbers would be much more comparable.

NOVA statehood FTW.

I found it interesting that many of the states that were listed as a majority conservative state had a much higher Democrat percentage. Some of the traditionally "conservative" states actually had a higher Democratic lean than a Republican lean, or a Democratic lean that was not that far behind (that's taking into account states that were listed as "average"). Shows you where the moderates are voting.

It would be nice, but you might need a revolution to get it. However, have to see if the new census restructuring does anything. I am tired of the rest of the state dictating what happens in NOVA. A conservative state that takes from the rich, NOVA, and feeds the rest of the state. Not saying that is necessarily wrong, just typical of hypocrite conservatives and politicians in general.

Article at: http://wtop.com/?sid=2261436&nid=25

I dont consider tracking of children through adulthood, using funding from the Dept of Ed as "conservative".

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/constitution/6425-mississippi-house-passes-bill-to-track-children

Des, ridiculous posting of obesity rates. Has no place nor bearing in the thread and comes off as a childish reach for no valid reason.

I found that part interesting as well. And agree that its probably more of a semantics thing. The vast majority of democrats I know don't consider themselves liberal. But on the other hand, I know many people who label themselves conservative, but not republican. (like me)

I agree if we just labeled people on how they think a number of issues the majority of people prebably fall somewhere in the middle leaning slightly left or right. Of course the percentage for conservative is going to be higher because there are true conservatives, the ones that actually want lower deficits & smaller government, & those that call themselves conservatives because they vote a republican ticket everytime even though they don't talk about smaller government & lower deficits until a democrat gets into office. Many liberals also refer to themselves as independents because somehow the right has turn being a liberal into something bad, when in fact this country is based on liberal principles of individual freedom. People like Glenn Beck & Rush Limbaugh have convinced their listener that being a liberal is the samething as being a communist. Of course anyone with a sane mind knows that that can't be true because both political & socially liberal & communist are the exact opposites. I will point one thing out the more conservative states or a more correct term would be right wing are also the states that have the lowest education ratings also.

If Northern VA ever did finally separate itself from it's dumber lower section, I may actually consider living in VA. Till then I gotta stick to the comfortably Blue MD.

Weird...I feel like moving to VA where my vote actually matters unlike here in MD where people just vote straightline democrat *cough* PG County *cough*

I think that obesity chart could be analyzed by looking at what foods are typically eaten.

The NorthEast is particularly lean...possibly because their diet usually involves fresh seafood?

The SouthEast is pretty obese....possibly because their diet usually involves fried food and hearty portions.

I'm guessing Colorado is probably an outlier because of all the olympic athletes living there for training, that seems like it would throw the scale off.

Hmm, MS the most religious, the poorest education (or close), and the most conservative. Coincidence?

:stir:

Probably not a coincidence.

http://www.catalogueforphilanthropy.org/cfp/db/generosity.php?year=2004

They are the poorest, least educated, most conservative AND the most generous people in the nation.

Better than a state full of selfish, liberal, educated atheists. ;)

I dont consider tracking of children through adulthood, using funding from the Dept of Ed as "conservative".

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/usnews/constitution/6425-mississippi-house-passes-bill-to-track-children

Des, ridiculous posting of obesity rates. Has no place nor bearing in the thread and comes off as a childish reach for no valid reason.

Quite correct. But it's still amusing to see that those lean, rangy Texans and rugged, independent Alaskan outdoorsmen are less fit than the potsmoking liberals in Cali and the Northeast.

Archived