Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Just doing the math, the Redskins could have lots of cap space if we get a CBA

pram11

I used to be a bit of a cap junkie, and not to toot my own horn, understand the ins and outs a little more intricately than most of your average fans. That said, due to not having as much idle time on my hands, I no longer track every bit of cap info and chart the contracts and cap space like I used to. I rely on guys like PCinOZ to get a feel for where our cap situation is. But the guy the Post has, J. I. Halsell, has some really good info from time to time. And based on the attached link, the Redskins could have as much as $50 million to spend if and when we get a CBA, assuming the salary cap returns with it.

In this piece, Halsell has the Redskins with $97.6 million committed to a 2011 cap. The 2009 cap was around $128 million. If I'm not mistaken, the old CBA had a clause that stipulated the cap cannot decrease from one year to the next. I'm not sure if that will be the case in the next CBA, and if so, will the 2011 cap be based off the 2009 number, meaning we'll have a cap of more than $128 million; or will a new CBA allow a "fresh, new" number to be the starting point going forward, meaning it could be less than $128 million.

Just for a minute, let's say the 2011 cap is at least what the 2009 number was, and we'll put it at $130 million for argument's sake. Right now, the Redskins would have a little more than $32 million in space, citing the number of $97.6 million Halsell provides. But there's a list of players that will save money by being cut or traded. I don't think every player on that list will be cut or traded, but I'm going to make a guess that Portis, McNabb, Haynesworth, Rabach, Kemo, Dockery, Hicks, Daniels and Carter will be let go. That would save the Redskins another $20.6 million, putting our cap commitment at about $77 million. If the cap returns and is at least the $130 million I threw out, that would give the Redskins $53 million in space.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/roster-analysis/roster-analysis-the-redskins-c.html

That list is a total joke how could you get rid of London Fletcher & D Hall come on now thats two of the best players on defense.I agree with some on the list but some just make me laugh

That's not the point of the thread.

I think that it's amazing that we're NOT talking about cap hell or anything like that. Over $32 million under? That's unheard of for us, and that's exactly how you start getting pieces in place.

Interesting read.

Dirtfreak, it's just a list of players and nothing more. Nothing to get worked up about.

What I see is that the brain trust's moves so far have given this team a lot of flexibility. Last year, the pickings were slim so they signed what they thought could contribute to short term incentive laden deals. I think they always had an eye to this upcoming free agent class where the talent pool will be much deeper. ( laws of supply and demand should produce better value for the team)

I think this is a very important off-season for Allen and Shanahan though. Providing a new CBA, they will not be hamstrung and will have the cap room to build the roster they envision. I don't suspect you will see any mega-deals but you will see a few significant contracts signed.

I think that it's amazing that we're NOT talking about cap hell or anything like that. Over $32 million under? That's unheard of for us, and that's exactly how you start getting pieces in place.

The best part is we have someone smart doing the contracts, so we shouldn't be in cap hell again for a very long while.

That's unheard of for us, and that's exactly how you start getting pieces in place.

Exactly - granted, there are a lot more steps to be taken, but just the fact that were in a position with a lot of flexibility is a great start.

I know this is off topic - but damn, I'm going to be sad to see PD93 go if and when he's gone....dude is a quintessential Redskin in and out...

Hail.

Exactly - granted, there are a lot more steps to be taken, but just the fact that were in a position with a lot of flexibility is a great start.

I know this is off topic - but damn, I'm going to be sad to see PD93 go if and when he's gone....dude is a quintessential Redskin in and out...

Hail.

Maybe Daniels will end up working with a team as a coach some day. Listening to interviews, he comes off as a very personable guy and has always worked with younger guys to help them improve. At the very least, he would be one heck of a strength coach. Take a look at this link. 722 pounds

Maybe Daniels will end up working with a team as a coach some day. Listening to interviews, he comes off as a very personable guy and has always worked with younger guys to help them improve. At the very least, he would be one heck of a strength coach. Take a look at this link. 722 pounds

Exactly - would LOVE to see him continue to be associated with OUR organization if possible. He's just a straight class act.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, back on topic...please can we get a damn CBA already and start USING this cap space? :silly:

would me nice if they hired him as part of the Strength and Conditioning staff. :)

Just because we have cap space does not mean we need to immediately blow it.

FWIW, I believe the Packers were $32MM under the cap last season.

The Packers are a good example because I can't think of them really cutting any dead weight in the uncapped year but many teams were able to do the same as we did and restructure/release players with large contracts. Rather than seeing we are $x under the cap I would like to see where we are in comparison with others.

The Packers are a good example because I can't think of them really cutting any dead weight in the uncapped year but many teams were able to do the same as we did and restructure/release players with large contracts. Rather than seeing we are $x under the cap I would like to see where we are in comparison with others.

I think our top 3 or 4 contracts were restructured to pay the bulk of the cap hit last year, when there wasn't a cap.

thats if our head is in the right place. if were saving a ton of cap space so we can go out and sign logan mankins and nmandi asomoguh to 100 billion dollar haynesworth contracts, nothing will have changed.

Here's a different view of the matter...

http://redskinshogheaven.com/2010-articles/june/salary-cap-analysis-redskins-wont-have-to-mortgage-the-future-in-2011-to-buy-a-new-team.html

One of the expected outcomes of any new NFL-NFLPA collective bargaining agreement is the re-institution of the NFL salary cap, because of it's value to overall league parity, and how it works hand in hand with the NFL draft in forcing teams to build organically. It is not yet known exactly where the new salary cap total will be placed (this is a negotiation point), but we do know that in 2009, the cap sat at $127 million thanks to an exemption for the uncapped year. We can safely estimate that the 2011 NFL salary cap (or 2012 NFL salary cap if there is no 2011 season) at somewhere between $130-$135 million per team.

Thanks to some leaky faucet repairing by GM Bruce Allen, and some creative contract leveraging by cap maven Eric Shaffer, the Redskins do not have very much committed money for the 2011 season. In fact, they would be paying just over 91 million to 31 different players, causing them to have nearly $40 million in available cash to spread to fill up the rest of the roster.

Click the link to read the entire article

I really think that if we have anywhere near that number ($30-$50 million) available once the CBA situation gets resolved, Shanallen could do some amazing things with the roster.

We usually go nuts for the big named vet who gets a 'New Record Deal' for his position or whatever. But, I don't see that happening again in the near future.

With the number of players who will be available in free agency this year, we could have almost a whole new team next season. I'm not a huge fan of it from the Vinny days, but this should be different.

Hopefully we can aquire younger talent that will fall in line with the 'new way' we're run, while also fitting into the scheme well. I really hope we get a number of 'character guys' who won't cause many distractions for the rest of the team.

So much depth should definitely make it interesting.

We may disagree on somethings but not this. Your point needs to be heard by all of fandom who think that we are about to go hog wild in Free Agency because that really doesn't fit in with the history of the men who we have running things now. Allen's resume is best looked at as a guy who can get a teams financial situation on the right track. He did that in Tampa and he did that last year. He's known to be a guru for contracts not someone who is like Ceratto who goes out and spends money just to spend money. Its more in line with his track record to see us dabble in Free Agency with this much space but not to use all of the money we can.

Shannahan on the other hand is a guy who is willing to spend money but again with the recent failures of Hanyesworth it's doubtful to me that we get back in the business of getting near the top of the cap like before. We are likely to spend some money in Free Agency but I doubt we would use half or all of the monies we have available. If the contracts aren't worth the players they wont get written.

So you calling it now? Are they the next NFC dynasty?

This is year two in Mike and Bruce's plan. This past year was an audition for many players while the front office went about clearing cap space. Once the CBA is finalized, I think the Redskins will be astute in free agency. I don't expect any huge contracts, but I do expect several mid range deals.

I know it's hard, but we have to remain patient and allow the roster turnover to continue. We are still one more off-season from contending in my opinion, but THIS off-season can prove to be pivotal to future success.

And I hope it's by many slightly above average players instead of a couple big name guys.

---------- Post added February-8th-2011 at 12:20 PM ----------

I would not be surprised if the next 4 Super Bowls were Packers vs. Pats, judging by the core of players, organization, and draft picks those teams have.

So you calling it now? Are they the next NFC dynasty?

They certainly seem well positioned. I just think it's impossible to have a true dynasty this day and age, especially since so much is riding on the QB position. I thought the Saints were positioned well for a run as well - then Brees has a banged up knee this year, and he throws 20 picks. Maybe they shouldn't have relied so much on FA?:evilg:

Rodgers has had a handful of concussions - he gets banged around scrambling - who knows.

But this is obviously the blue print to follow - and by not relying on free agency (only one "top 5 deal" since they drafted Rodgers - Woodson), they have a team with only 3 starters 30+ (Woodson, Pickett (also a FA), and Driver). By not signing FAs, they kept their team young, and saved reps for young developmental guys - they didn't sign Randy Moss in 2006, and instead drafted Jennings that year, Jones the next, and Nelson the next.

Now they, by averaging 9.7 draft picks per years since 2005, and avoiding big splashes in FA, are positioned for sustained competitiveness. Dynasty? Maybe. But they will be in the mix for a while.

It's pretty obvious what to do in the NFL - the hard part is the patience and discipline required to do it. Hopefully we have the discipline to not blow our load.

I can get on board with one, just one, of the "big name" guy who will require top 5 money. Any more than that, well, we know how this story ends.

This is will be a very interesting offseason. Not so just because of how much cap room we will have or even how we will spend it. Because I believe Shanahan and Allen will be judicious in their spending. However now we will see how well the RECRUIT. Think about it, in the past we won the prize because we offered the most money. Well if we are no longer offerring the most money why would anyone come here to play? I'm thinking of any of the free agents that will be available. What sets us a part from other teams that they would want to come here and not somewhere else if it isn't the money?

Archived