Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

Ah yes, we can all fall back on the fact that with nearly a decade of mismanagement of the football program, VA Tech created a decisive distance between them and their handicapped little brother.

What is nice to see it that the tide, if only for a moment, has begun to turn. Recruiting matters. A lot. And winning the in-state battle matters even more. For the first time in a long while, UVa has won the in-state battle, handily.

So Techies can chalk it up to an anomaly, and we all know the only thing that matters is W&Ls, but some where, in the back of your mind, all the defensive reactions I am seeing today are rooted in the fear that what if UVa isn't being run by an egomanic who made himself a non-factor in the richest part of the state's talent pool, and what if they actually starting recruiting better than us more than once a decade?

Today is nothing more than a dip in the other direction, but it is a hell of a good start, and something to build on.

A great athlete but I wonder where they play him i'd assume DB but maybe they try him at Wr/PR.. David Watford is the key my HOOS need a QB really bad. Mike London kicking in doors in the 757 I love it but even took some good players from Nova as well.

Well with Terrell and also Rob Burns from VA he's made some nice pick ups from the 703. Not many people have realized it yet but the best teams are coming now from the 703 and some very very good football players are as well

Ah yes, we can all fall back on the fact that with nearly a decade of mismanagement of the football program, VA Tech created a decisive distance between them and their handicapped little brother.

What is nice to see it that the tide, if only for a moment, has begun to turn. Recruiting matters. A lot. And winning the in-state battle matters even more. For the first time in a long while, UVa has won the in-state battle, handily.

So Techies can chalk it up to an anomaly, and we all know the only thing that matters is W&Ls, but some where, in the back of your mind, all the defensive reactions I am seeing today are rooted in the fear that what if UVa isn't being run by an egomanic who made himself a non-factor in the richest part of the state's talent pool, and what if they actually starting recruiting better than us more than once a decade?

Today is nothing more than a dip in the other direction, but it is a hell of a good start, and something to build on.

You guys got a fantastic class today. Nothing but credit to London.

Its just a bit early to write the obituary of Virginia Tech in VA. Especially when it was written in 2002, 2004 and 2006.

The class we brought in is the usual Virginia Tech class, a lot of good guys who went under the radar (see the haul from Atlantic High in Florida) with some misses with the big studs (Grant, Hughes, Anthony). Part of it was of course due to the limited scholies available until Williams and Evans left school, along with a few guys who washed out.

Names like Lockhart, Estime, Mandy, Marshall, Harley will be names we'll hear a few November's from now, just not on NSD.

Which is fine for keeping the general status quo that VT has established, which is 10 wins and a trip to the ACCCG. Getting over the top and winning a BCS title or competing with the Alabama's, Florida's, etc, just won't happen with the talent brought in today. We needed a Stephone Anthony or Curtis Grant for that

Good for UVA, you guys did fantastic today.

I had 2 seperate local high school coaches tell me Al Groh was a arrogant douch bag whenever they went to the campus they felt looked down upon. They said when they went to camps at VATECH that everyone was down to earth had big spreads for them laid out to eat and Bud Foster would go out having beers with them. They said they would flatout steer a kid from UVA while Groh was there. From the way they talked Bud Foster was the key at Tech he came to the high schools watching practices/film etc with the coaches.

The thing is Mike London relates very well to those kids in the 757 and it does'nt hurt to be good friends with Mike Smith the Hampton coach [David Watford] and alot of the other 757 coaches.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 05:26 PM ----------

Well with Terrell and also Rob Burns from VA he's made some nice pick ups from the 703. Not many people have realized it yet but the best teams are coming now from the 703 and some very very good football players are as well

Got Jay Whitmore as well a big talented OT from TC Williams. Demetruis Nicholson is the catch though has bigtime lockdown ability.

I just wonder what the plan is for Terrell i'd assume punt returner for sure. But I doubt they let him play QB and while he is a very good DB he is just so electrifying and fast with the ball in his hands i'd almost try him at WR.

Its just a bit early to write the obituary of Virginia Tech in VA. Especially when it was written in 2002, 2004 and 2006.

Which is fine for keeping the general status quo that VT has established, which is 10 wins and a trip to the ACCCG. Getting over the top and winning a BCS title or competing with the Alabama's, Florida's, etc, just won't happen with the talent brought in today. We needed a Stephone Anthony or Curtis Grant for that

I don't think anyone is writing the obituary of VT just yet. The Tris just said that the tide turned a little bit today, which I think is pretty reasonable to say. It's also not fair to bring up what happened in 2002 or 2004 like it really relates to today, since those classes were eventually undone by Al Groh's mismanagement. London hasn't won anything major just yet, so it's not like we can crown him anything compared to Groh, but all signs so far point to him being more competent than Groh ever was.

That being said, I don't know how much longer the "general status quo" for VT can be maintained the way you put it, if London is a legit coach and is bringing in top 25 classes. Give it another year or two and the status quo could possibly change pretty quickly.

I respect the "I'll believe it when I see it" approach in this situation, but I wouldn't rest so easy either.

Groh got into some sort of row with some local 757 coaches (can't remember the school of origin exactly), and then simply dismissed the area, claiming he could win with out it. For years, Tech has been the only in-state player in the tidewater.

Additionally, even to his own players, Groh had no idea how to communicate with 18 year old kids, never mind 18 year old kids from vastly different backgrounds. He was patronizing, deferential, and demeaning to his own players! That works if you are Nick Saban and have the hardware to back it up. When you are Al Groh, it does not. (Unsurprisingly, Saban and Groh are both Belichick guys, and coach in the Belichick ******* style - which only works at the college level when you have supreme talent and prior success, neither of which Groh had or would ever have had). London is a much better fit for the program.

Today is further evidence that that is changing, and hopefully that among other things, will turn a one-sided affair back into a rivalry.

It wouldn't surprise me if that was a lot of the reason why.

They were behind well before the coaching situation began. The first thing that comes to mind is that may be one of the reasons for the coaching situation, but even when Franklin (regarded as a very good recruiter) was still around, this class was not looking too good.

That being said, I don't know how much longer the "general status quo" for VT can be maintained the way you put it, if London is a legit coach and is bringing in top 25 classes. Give it another year or two and the status quo could possibly change pretty quickly.

I respect the "I'll believe it when I see it" approach in this situation, but I wouldn't rest so easy either.

I agree. 1 year is a blip to me, in particular in state in a year when we started off with possibly only 14 or 15 scholarships.

If it continues next year in recruiting and THEN on the field the following year (UVA still doesn't have the talent to beat us this coming fall) then I'll start to get concerned :)

For now though, we brought in a quality class with good players and still have outstanding talent from 2008, 2009 and 2010.

I just wonder what the plan is for Terrell i'd assume punt returner for sure. But I doubt they let him play QB and while he is a very good DB he is just so electrifying and fast with the ball in his hands i'd almost try him at WR.

Terrell will be playing offense, and this is why Tech didn't get serious consideration from him. He wanted to play offense on the next level and Tech wanted him as a DB.

They were behind well before the coaching situation began. The first thing that comes to mind is that may be one of the reasons for the coaching situation, but even when Franklin (regarded as a very good recruiter) was still around, this class was not looking too good.

Maryland is paying the price for that 2-10 season.

He'll be a slash type guy I bet one who they line up at WR,QB, RB just trying to use his speed and elusiveness

I don't see him playing RB much UVA is stacked with young RB's and Clifton Richardson coming in is another very good running back.

He will be nasty in the wildcat if they implement it but i'd assume he will eventually be a WR/PR but hey maybe they do give him a shot at QB.

Additionally, even to his own players, Groh had no idea how to communicate with 18 year old kids, never mind 18 year old kids from vastly different backgrounds. He was patronizing, deferential, and demeaning to his own players! That works if you are Nick Saban and have the hardware to back it up. When you are Al Groh, it does not. (Unsurprisingly, Saban and Groh are both Belichick guys, and coach in the Belichick ******* style - which only works at the college level when you have supreme talent and prior success, neither of which Groh had or would ever have had). London is a much better fit for the program.

Groh flashed that Super Bowl ring in 2002 and told players that he knew what it took to get them to the NFL. And in all fairness, Virginia did send a lot of players to the NFL during Groh's tenure and many that have had a lot of success. But it was maddening how we had those players, but only mediocre and then bad teams. But top recruits stopped listening to Groh's pitch after a few years as he turned off high school coaches and like you say, even his oen players with his arrogance.

You hit the nail on the head. Groh was coaching UVA like it was a pro team, but there are distinctly different skills involved. I even think Saban is a little softer than Groh is/was. You just can't put 18 year olds in college through the same mental obstacles that you can put a 28 year old in the NFL through. Some will flourish, but you still have a lot of fragile kids in college that are not mentally tough enough to deal with some of that. You can be hard on them, but you still have to teach and positively reinforce. Al was good at the first one.

I don't see him playing RB much UVA is stacked with young RB's and Clifton Richardson coming in is another very good running back.

He will be nasty in the wildcat if they implement it but i'd assume he will eventually be a WR/PR but hey maybe they do give him a shot at QB.

I just seem him as a slash guy he'll play multiple positions and if they run a wildcat with him it would be a huge pickup. He'll be like Randall Cobb is for Kentucky a guy who can do multiple things and be a very dynamic player

Archived