Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

ODU Football landed one of the top QB recruits in the country, Taylor Heinicke. He is one of the Old Spice 50 top HS recruits and was the Georgia Offensive player of the year. His passing yards (4,216) and touchdowns (44) are the second most all time for a season in the state of Georgia.

We also got RB Tyree Lee, who is expected to be named Virginia's Group AAA Player of the Year.

We are also signing Defensive end Dontez Tyler, defensive back Aaron Matthews, and outside linebacker Rob Mahan. Tyler will probably replace Daron Mayo, little brother o the Patriot's Jerod Mayo as our stand up defensive end.

Landing Heinicke is huge for ODU, especially with DeMarco leaving after this year, even though I'm not a big fan on his as a passer, but by getting Heinicke and redshirting him this season and having Nate Ong transferring in from California to be DeMarco's back up, even though Ong is unproven I'd rather have him be the back up and allow Heinicke to learn Wilder's system and watch for a year.

Signing these 2 QBs is even more important with the Dominique Blackman transferring to Idaho, which I don't understand why he came to ODU in the first place. I know for a fact he stated at practice that he hated ODU. It also appears as if Penn State QB Kevin Newsome will be staying at Penn State instead of transferring, so picking up these 2 QBs was critical.

Bobby Wilder is very quietly building a solid program at ODU, and I'll be interested to see how ODU does in a real CAA schedule this season. There aren't many cupcakes on the schedule, really the only game I'd consider an easy game is the opening game at home vs. Campbell, besides that we'll see how good ODU is this upcoming fall.

Oh well, Grant to OSU. Screw Tressel. Although I wish Curtis well, he has handled this process very well.

Still a great class for UVA.

A bummer no doubt but still a big time class for UVA, Grant would have been the cherry on top to the class

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 01:59 PM ----------

Landing Heinicke is huge for ODU, especially with DeMarco leaving after this year, even though I'm not a big fan on his as a passer, but by getting Heinicke and redshirting him this season and having Nate Ong transferring in from California to be DeMarco's back up, even though Ong is unproven I'd rather have him be the back up and allow Heinicke to learn Wilder's system and watch for a year.

Signing these 2 QBs is even more important with the Dominique Blackman transferring to Idaho, which I don't understand why he came to ODU in the first place. I know for a fact he stated at practice that he hated ODU. It also appears as if Penn State QB Kevin Newsome will be staying at Penn State instead of transferring, so picking up these 2 QBs was critical.

Bobby Wilder is very quietly building a solid program at ODU, and I'll be interested to see how ODU does in a real CAA schedule this season. There aren't many cupcakes on the schedule, really the only game I'd consider an easy game is the opening game at home vs. Campbell, besides that we'll see how good ODU is this upcoming fall.

Oh trust me JMU @ ODU will be a good one. We're rebuilding up the offense and with adding Billy Cosh at QB it was a huge pickup for us. Another solid recruiting class for JMU not a spectacular one but a very solid one

This is one of my least favorite days of the year.

The next person who says "We'll take ours and play theirs" will get a swift kick in the shins.

Its about time that we get a young, hungry recruiter who can bring in the top tier athletes or we're going to continue to plateau.

Though honestly, you Wahoos shouldn't pound your chests too much. The only difference I saw in the London coached teams was a general lack of class. There were so many pathetic late hits and personal fouls on the part of the Cavs this year it made me sick.

That was our shtick years ago, but it doesn't have to go hand in hand with a turnaround in your program. For all the times I've heard people in Charlottesville complain about the thugs that play for Tech...they were very silent when I brought up the horrible behavior of the UVA team this year.

Oh well, Grant to OSU. Screw Tressel. Although I wish Curtis well, he has handled this process very well.

Still a great class for UVA.

That hurts, but I honestly believe Mike London will have UVA being an ACC contender is 2 to 3 years max. He's already shown he's turned the program around and now he's starting to lay the foundation. Tech fans should begin to worry about UVA because they'll be a legit threat very soon.

This is one of my least favorite days of the year.

The next person who says "We'll take ours and play theirs" will get a swift kick in the shins.

Its about time that we get a young, hungry recruiter who can bring in the top tier athletes or we're going to continue to plateau.

Though honestly, you Wahoos shouldn't pound your chests too much. The only difference I saw in the London coached teams was a general lack of class. There were so many pathetic late hits and personal fouls on the part of the Cavs this year it made me sick.

I'm sorry, but no Tech fan can get on any other team and their fans about their team not having class, when the guy who took your program and made it a household name is a convicted felon, and an overall horrible human being. Not to mention his little brother who stomped on a player's leg and gave the finger to WVU fans, sounds classy to me.

Pot meet kettle. Kettle meet pot.

Tech fans should begin to worry about UVA because they'll be a legit threat very soon.

Honestly, I was far more worried in 2002 with the Brooks, Parham, Johnson class.

That was three 5 star guys right there. Also I thought the actual "coaching" was better for UVA in 2003.

I wasn't impressed with the coaching this year UVA had, but then again there was 0 talent on that team that London coached this past fall

Again, as I stated earlier in this thread, I'll worry about UVA when UVA can keep within 4 TD's of us in a game. 42-13 and 37-7 (with a last minute garbage TD) doesn't have me shaking in my boots right now

I'm sorry, but no Tech fan can get on any other team and their fans about their team not having class, when the guy who took your program and made it a household name is a convicted felon, and an overall horrible human being.

You mean the guy that played at Tech a decade ago?

Yeah, yeah I can.

On the first play of the game a UVA player clotheslined our returner after he'd been out of bounds for about 5 yards. It was like that all day.

Players faking being hurt and then getting congratulated as soon as they got to the sideline, late hits, tons of trash talk (which our guys were just laughing at), the list goes on.

London apparently thinks that's how he's going to compete in the ACC and I'm not impressed.

Honestly, I was far more worried in 2002 with the Brooks, Parham, Johnson class.

That was three 5 star guys right there. Also I thought the actual "coaching" was better for UVA in 2003.

I wasn't impressed with the coaching this year UVA had, but then again there was 0 talent on that team that London coached this past fall

Again, as I stated earlier in this thread, I'll worry about UVA when UVA can keep within 4 TD's of us in a game. 42-13 and 37-7 (with a last minute garbage TD) doesn't have me shaking in my boots right now

Well having Marc Verica as your QB will also do that to you, I think you'll see a different team under Metheney at QB if he ends up being the starter. Not saying UVA is a world class team right now but Verica was a terrible QB for UVA.

You mean the guy that played at Tech a decade ago?

Yeah, yeah I can.

On the first play of the game a UVA player clotheslined our returner after he'd been out of bounds for about 5 yards. It was like that all day.

Players faking being hurt and then getting congratulated as soon as they got to the sideline, late hits, tons of trash talk (which our guys were just laughing at), the list goes on.

London apparently thinks that's how he's going to compete in the ACC and I'm not impressed.

No, I mean the player that built Tech's program to what it is today, because without Vick, Tech would most likely still be playing in the Big East.

Well having Marc Verica as your QB will also do that to you, I think you'll see a different team under Metheney at QB if he ends up being the starter. Not saying UVA is a world class team right now but Verica was a terrible QB for UVA.

I'll wait for it on the field. The last time UVA showed a pulse we went up to CVille and worked a Chris Long led team to win a spot in the ACCCG. We'll see if London can build off a 4 win season.

Congrats on an outstanding signing day. You guys should be very happy

No, I mean the player that built Tech's program to what it is today, because without Vick, Tech would most likely still be playing in the Big East.

It was 10 years ago, let it go.

Plus, his issues all happened after he left Blacksburg. I can't deny the problems we've had in the past but I was fuming after I left the Tech/UVA game this year, I couldn't believe the way that the Cavs were playing.

:ols:

I remember that. I don't think anything is as bad as Clint Sintim tackling Sean Glennon after he kneeled down in the 2007 game in CVille :ols:

Considering that it was Glennon, I just laughed.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 02:14 PM ----------

Maybe this picture of 5 star RB Isaiah Crowell signing with Georgia, and using an actual white English bulldog puppy as a prop, will cool some of guys down:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/3047/screenshot20110202at135.png

Someone already posted it, but its hilarious and worth a re-post.

I'm sorry, but no Tech fan can get on any other team and their fans about their team not having class, when the guy who took your program and made it a household name is a convicted felon, and an overall horrible human being. Not to mention his little brother who stomped on a player's leg and gave the finger to WVU fans, sounds classy to me.

Pot meet kettle. Kettle meet pot.

I agree with your sentimentm, but it has nothing to do with Michael Vick since he did not do anything wrong when he was there. I do think it is absurd to talk about how London "thinks that is what it takes to win in the ACC" when VT has the reputation as one of the dirtiest teams in the nation. Maybe not this past year, but the reputation is there for a reason.

And yes UVA did play a little chippy at times this year, and I don't really like that, but it was not consistently that way all year. So you can not characterize a team just by apparenltly one game that is being picked out. I like seeing a little more fire and passion, but not to the degree of being dirty. But for VT fans to call any team out for being dirty is laughable.

It was 10 years ago, let it go.

Plus, his issues all happened after he left Blacksburg. I can't deny the problems we've had in the past but I was fuming after I left the Tech/UVA game this year, I couldn't believe the way that the Cavs were playing.

His dog fighting issues actually began while he was still at Tech back in 2000.

I can understand you being upset about how the game went last year, but for a Tech fan calling another team/program dirty is just a bit ironic, wouldn't you say?

How about UNC pulling another "Marvin Austin"

4 star DT (can't think of his name) doesn't even visit UNC, didn't even have them in his top 5, signs with them today

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 02:16 PM ----------

His issues actually began while he was still at Tech back in 2000.

I can understand you being upset about how the game went last year, but for a Tech fan calling another team/program dirty is just a bit ironic, wouldn't you say?

Any proof that MV1 was running a dog fighting ring in 2000? Or do you want to end the thread hijack now?

I agree with your sentimentm, but it has nothing to do with Michael Vick since he did not do anything wrong when he was there. I do think it is absurd to talk about how London "thinks that is what it takes to win in the ACC" when VT has the reputation as one of the dirtiest teams in the nation. Maybe not this past year, but the reputation is there for a reason.

And yes UVA did play a little chippy at times this year, and I don't really like that, but it was not consistently that way all year. So you can not characterize a team just by apparenltly one game that is being picked out. I like seeing a little more fire and passion, but not to the degree of being dirty. But for VT fans to call any team out for being dirty is laughable.

To say that VT still has a reputation for being one of the dirtiest teams in the nation is laughable.

Our biggest problems were off the field, not on them. There's a difference between being a hard hitting defense and going after a guy after the whistle and after he's well out of bounds.

The only people who think Tech is dirty are Cavs fans.

----------

Sorry, I'm totally hijacking this thread right now which was not my intent.

Carry on.

I remember that. I don't think anything is as bad as Clint Sintim tackling Sean Glennon after he kneeled down in the 2007 game in CVille :ols:

Yeah, and Will Barker's cheap shot on Kiwanuka a few years back. I hated that play then and I hate that play now. There is no question UVA has had some cheap plays like this in the recent past, every team does. But other than a few plays, that is really it. Single plays can be picked out for Virginia, but players and teams can be picked out for Tech.

Archived