Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 College Football Thread

SkinsHokieFan

To say that VT still has a reputation for being one of the dirtiest teams in the nation is laughable.

Our biggest problems were off the field, not on them. There's a difference between being a hard hitting defense and going after a guy after the whistle and after he's well out of bounds.

The only people who think Tech is dirty are Cavs fans.

----------

Sorry, I'm totally hijacking this thread right now which was not my intent.

Carry on.

To be perfectly honest, we haven't even been dirty or hard hitting ON the field in some time :ols:

I guess people still don't like the 2005 team? :whoknows:

I'll be at Coach Cav's Hokie recruiting night next week. I want the story on what went south with both Grant and Terrel, 2 guys that this time last year were locks for Blacksburg

To say that VT still has a reputation for being one of the dirtiest teams in the nation is laughable.

Our biggest problems were off the field, not on them. There's a difference between being a hard hitting defense and going after a guy after the whistle and after he's well out of bounds.

The only people who think Tech is dirty are Cavs fans.

----------

Sorry, I'm totally hijacking this thread right now which was not my intent.

Carry on.

Sorry, I'll stop too. But to think that the only people that think Tech is dirty are UVA fans is not correct. And again, I am not even saying that it is completely accurate now, but it certainly was and it is a reputation that is believed outside of Charlottesville.

Someone already posted it, but its hilarious and worth a re-post.

:ols:

2 things about that:

1- How did he find a 59Fifty that was able to fit an entire picture of the state of the Georgia on the front? How tall is that hat?

2- He should have signed with Alabama and brought a baby elephant.

Yeah....I think that caught the attention of a lot of people.

I really do feel bad for a lot of these kids that commited to UNC. The UNC President was calling recruits to tell them nothing would happen sanctions wise.

If they get hit like USC did, they'll end up wasting 4 years

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 02:24 PM ----------

Jake Grove was a helluva dirty player at VT.

He left in 2003.

I wish we had more Jake Grove's and Aaron Rouse type players. Not the team we had the last 5 years which got pushed around by Alabama, LSU Boise and Stanford. We haven't had a Jake Grove or an Aaron Rouse in sometime now, which showed on the field

Anytime UVA fans call VT "thugs" I smile :)

2 things about that:

1- How did he find a 59Fifty that was able to fit an entire picture of the state of the Georgia on the front? How tall is that hat?

That hat was ugly. I was trying to figure out how the other guy was going to trot out a baby elephant or tiger depending on where he signed. That would have been tough to beat. And someone will proabably do it next year now.

2 things about that:

1) Must have a big freaking head

2) I loathe Bama, but I would root for anyone that did that. Maybe a recruit should go to a zoo, considering how many teams have animals for mascots and go to the cage of the school of his choice.

I really do feel bad for a lot of these kids that commited to UNC. The UNC President was calling recruits to tell them nothing would happen sanctions wise.

If they get hit like USC did, they'll end up wasting 4 years

One can only hope. I know these are impressionable 18 year olds but how do you NOT think UNC is going to get hit hard?

One can only hope. I know these are impressionable 18 year olds but how do you NOT think UNC is going to get hit hard?

Butch being a great salesman and the President of the school calling recruits.

Everyone knows Butch has lied for years (remember how he left Miami after the 2000 season) and everyone knows Butch is an awful game day coach.

UNC, if they don't end up on sanctions, will find themselves in Tire Bowls consistantly over the next 4 years, because Butch's teams never show any discipline

Buckeye recruit arrested

One of Ohio State's committed players awoke Wednesday in a Cleveland jail.

Chris Carter, a 6-foot-5, 330-pound offensive lineman from John F. Kennedy High, was arrested Tuesday and accused of fondling a 15-year-old classmate under the guise of measuring her for an ROTC uniform.

According to the Cleveland Plain-Dealer, Carter later admitted to police that he had fondled other girls using the same scheme. According to police, Carter recorded the measurements of eight other girls in a book.

Carter committed to Ohio State 11 months ago. Needless to say, the Buckeyes have not received his letter-of-intent.

Click on the link for more

And can anyone still explain to me how USC is able to pull this class under the cloud of sanctions they are under now?
I wonder is Spartacus87 is willing to admit that these "sanctions" USC was hit with wouldn't kill them. Like I said then, USC will have a natural down year and then be fine. Signing day the very next year? #4 ranked class. Oh, BTW, USC is appealing to have the sanctions reduced as we speak, hoping to be eligible for BCS bowls THIS year. Wonder why? If their program would be down for 5 years......

Yeah, and Will Barker's cheap shot on Kiwanuka a few years back. I hated that play then and I hate that play now. There is no question UVA has had some cheap plays like this in the recent past, every team does. But other than a few plays, that is really it. Single plays can be picked out for Virginia, but players and teams can be picked out for Tech.

Wasn't that Brad Butler? And not every team has plays like that in their past.

I wonder is Spartacus87 is willing to admit that these "sanctions" USC was hit with wouldn't kill them. Like I said then, USC will have a natural down year and then be fine. Signing day the very next year? #4 ranked class. Oh, BTW, USC is appealing to have the sanctions reduced as we speak, hoping to be eligible for BCS bowls THIS year. Wonder why? If their program would be down for 5 years......

Probably because the sanctions haven't actually kicked in yet.

With their appeal, it delays the start of the scholarship reductions by one year (NCAA rulings can't officially start until the final decision has been handed down). That's the tricky part of this that I guess you didn't know.

So they pulled a smart move by trying to load up on kids now. But that doesn't change what will happen to them once their punishment sets in (unless, of course, the NCAA doubles back on their outrage from last summer).

Wasn't that Brad Butler? And not every team has plays like that in their past.

You are right about Butler. Good call.

I had something long typed up, but I am trying to not threadjack more than I already have. Maybe not all teams have a play like that, but they have something like a questionable hit on a WR. Call it a momentary lapse in a player's judgment or whatever, but some teams have (or had) more of those moments than others.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 03:09 PM ----------

(unless, of course, the NCAA doubles back on their outrage from last summer)

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens. I don't know if they can keep this punishment for USC if they let UNC slide by. Although I guess that has not been decided just yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens. I don't know if they can keep this punishment for USC if they let UNC slide by. Although I guess that has not been decided just yet.

Yeah, it is weird, because they brought the hammer down on USC without even thinking twice about it.

But since then, they've been pretty quiet on the UNC front and they made a public mess of their handling of the Cam Newton situation. I don't think either stories are over just yet, but it's strange how lax the NCAA has seemed so far on both cases.

---------- Post added February-2nd-2011 at 03:58 PM ----------

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2011/2/2/1970862/joe-paterno-welcomes-his-new-recruits-to-penn-state

joepasigningday.jpg

Joe Paterno Welcomes His New Recruits to Penn State

Though Penn State hasn't had a glitzy day recruiting, Joe Paterno is more than happy with his recruiting class. You could even say he bordered on ecstatic.

"Eh, whaddya, ahhh we'll see how they turn out."

5'11, 185 pound defensive end Johaan Van der Faas, the "Dutch Oven" out of Manhattan PS 12, sent his telegram to Paterno early this morning and was the first Penn State recruit in on National Signing Day.

"I was Harvard-bound, but father going to Kansas City with a gin-soaked floozy and leaving mother paralytic with the vapors has me bound to my footballing skills," said Van der Faas in an interview at his stylish Manhattan brownstone. "I have suffered many the fate of a young Manhattoan: abandoned on the shores of rocky fate, and dependent on my skills alone to survive in a cold world."

"I shall play the spinning fullback if they need me to."

This was followed up by commits from several other recruits targeted by Penn State. 185 pound tackle Steiny Horricker of Queens Boys' Town joined the Nittany Lions by way of public bus earlier this morning. Known for his physical play and a somewhat checkered past, Horricker was present but not talkative in a brief encounter on campus.

"Youse guys didn't see me, and you won't be seeing me, even when youse sees me, okay?"

Horricker then asked for directions to the nearest YMCA, where he wanted a room, a hot plate, and none of your peekin' into his business.

The most intriguing case reported late off the back of a dusty pony: Cale Tracker, the rough-and-tumble wingback from Laramie Wyoming Paterno unearthed when he viewed the young man's cow-tackling skills at a traveling rodeo circus.

"I had to get a wiggle on to make it by sundown, but if the ride through Ohio didn't put ol' Roustabout into the glue factory nothing would! I can't wait to play for Coach Joseph Paterno, as I've always respected both the Eye-talian people and the bespectacled."

He did have one reservation with the proposed plan for his career with the Nittany Lions.

"Coach mentioned something about me contracting the Spanish Influenza and dying in two years to serve as an inspiration to my team. I'm not too keen on that, but I'm a wait-and-see kind of fella anyway!"

155 pound quarter-back Arsene LaFollette of Andover Academy, aka "The Ascoted Assassin," was a surprise, however. He credited family as a key factor in his decision making.

"I have impregnated a Jewess, and must flee Massachusetts post-haste."

Rumors of Jadeveon Clowney (super 5 star DL recruit of the past few years, possibly a cyborg of some sort) putting off his LOI decision because Clemson is now back in the mix.

I'm fine with Clemson getting most of the guys they've landed today. But I'm not going to be pleased at all if they land Clowney.

Rumors of Jadeveon Clowney (super 5 star DL recruit of the past few years, possibly a cyborg of some sort) putting off his LOI decision because Clemson is now back in the mix.

I'm fine with Clemson getting most of the guys they've landed today. But I'm not going to be pleased at all if they land Clowney.

You think he saw Steward and a few others go there and is thinking about making it a super-class now?

Probably because the sanctions haven't actually kicked in yet.

With their appeal, it delays the start of the scholarship reductions by one year (NCAA rulings can't officially start until the final decision has been handed down). That's the tricky part of this that I guess you didn't know.

So they pulled a smart move by trying to load up on kids now. But that doesn't change what will happen to them once their punishment sets in (unless, of course, the NCAA doubles back on their outrage from last summer).

I told you way back when the sanctions first came down that USC would not suffer too much. One down year, and maybe 2 mediocre years (8-9 wins). There postseason ban is 1/2 over, they only have 3 years of probation left, and the scholarship reduction is likely to be cut. USC will most likely compete with Oregon to win the PAC-10 this year. They will likely win it next year and be in a BCS Bowl Game. Does that sound like a "punishment" to you?

I told you way back when the sanctions first came down that USC would not suffer too much. One down year, and maybe 2 mediocre years (8-9 wins). There postseason ban is 1/2 over, they only have 3 years of probation left, and the scholarship reduction is likely to be cut. USC will most likely compete with Oregon to win the PAC-10 this year. They will likely win it next year and be in a BCS Bowl Game. Does that sound like a "punishment" to you?

What about Stanford? If this next guy is half the coach Harbaugh was, they could have something special cooking.

You think he saw Steward and a few others go there and is thinking about making it a super-class now?

It's possible that that's part of it. Clemson's class is stacked and it's largely split, they've got a 5 star WR, 5 star RB, two 5 star LBs, so if you're a 5 star DL, you can join some other highly ranked guys but it's also not crowded at your position (not like Clowney would have to wait to see the field anywhere in the country, but still).

Clemson's also a great recruiting program. Kevin Steele gets it done and can offer great coaching, and Dabo Swinney seems pretty far in over his head as a HC, but he's always been a good recruiter himself and an excellent closer.

Put those two factors together and Clemson has big time momentum with a staff that knows how to seal the deal. Makes me worried, for sure. I'd much rather see him at South Carolina.

What a name. Jadeveon. Clowney.

What a name, and what a highlight reel:

LTkmiBdoBDc

However, if we're going to hand out awards for best name for today, then I'd give 2nd place to:

4 star DE and UNC commit Norkeithus Otis

and 1st place to:

2 star DE and Wake Forest commit Godspower Offor

If the scholarship reduction gets cut then we're not talking about the same thing we originally were. So that's kind of a moot point.

If the scholarship reduction stays in place starting next year, then yeah, they will be in a lot of trouble.

Archived