Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is it wrong for us to talk trash about our past accomplishments?

HLF

So I find it kind of strange that whenever I bring up the argument about teams not having any Super Bowl victories, they feel the need to bring up that the Skins was so long ago it doesnt matter. Is this true in your opinion? Isnt the big one the only thing that matters whether it was in 1973 or in 2005?

I live in Eagle territory and hell no it isn't wrong. They are so annoying, but I'm extremely happy that I can explain that they can't even comprehend how it feels to win a super bowl. Taking a pack of smokes, flipping it over and pulling the plastic up and displaying it as an empty eagle trophy case is always a hoot. Plus, congratulating them on breaking their 50 year anniversary of not having been the best team in football is epic. It might be the only way to shut them up.

I believe it's all tied together. As a fan, I certainly enjoy the ride, but I like to hang my hat on tangible accomplishments at the end of a season. So, making the playoffs, winning the division, winning the conference, and winning the Super Bowl are all check marks that go on our "permanent record" so to speak...and each one is increasingly more powerful or important. I enjoy being able to look back through time and have things that are locked into history and written in stone.

So, to me, I think it's very relevant to discuss a franchise's accomplishments. That's why, on some level, I'd prefer to have a decade like Tampa Bay had (a Super Bowl win and modest success from 2000-2009) than a decade like the Eagles had (countless division titles, countless NFC Championship game berths, one Super Bowl appearance, etc. but no rings during that same time). I realize it might have been more entertaining to be an Eagles fan during that decade, but what do they really have to hang their hat on?

So, I understand the argument that THIS team hasn't accomplished anything. But we're fans of the Redskins...past, present, and future.

I live in Eagle territory and hell no it isn't wrong. They are so annoying, but I'm extremely happy that I can explain that they can't even comprehend how it feels to win a super bowl.Taking a pack of smokes, flipping it over and pulling the plastic up and displaying it as an empty eagle trophy case is always a hoot. Plus, congratulating them on breaking their 50 year anniversary of not having been the best team in football is epic. It might be the only way to shut them up.

i'm pretty sure some of our younger fan base say they feel the same.

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 10:12 AM ----------

to me, its justified, but after 20 years, it is getting weaker.

when it comes to talking the redskins up, of course, 3 super bowl trophies is one of the first things to talk about.

when talking down the Eagles, for a fan of a team that hasnt done **** in 20 years...i prefer to come up with other arguments to try and put them down (crap fans, lack of football knowledge, etc)

but thats just me :D

when it comes to talking the redskins up, of course, 3 super bowl trophies is one of the first things to talk about.

when talking down the Eagles, for a fan of a team that hasnt done **** in 20 years...i prefer to come up with other arguments to try and put them down (crap fans, lack of football knowledge, etc)

I agree with you, but I still wield it as my trump card. I'm a huge dog person and am pretty relentless about letting them know he didn't actually "do his time".

It depends on who you're talking smack too but I don't really bring up past accomplishments anymore. It is going on 20 years since the last title.

I think the most I'd do now is just talk about how the Skins are tied for 6th all time in World Titles. Only the Packers (12....soon to be 13), Bears (9), Giants (7), and Steelers (6) have won more NFL Championships than the Skins. But other than that there is no point in talking smack to say a Falcons fan about the 56-17 win back in 1991. It really has nothing to do with what is going on now.

Imagine what we all would have said to say a Browns fan in 1991 if they started talking about a butt kicking the Browns gave the Skins back in 1965 or something. We all would have laughed at them.

Well, the things you hang your hat on as a fan are personal for sure. For the younger fans, I could understand why they don't want to use a Super Bowl played 10 years before they were born just as I don't talk about how the Redskins beat the Bears in the NFL championship game in the 1940s.

But, for me, I feel the 1982, 1987, and 1991 teams represented me just as much as any current team does or will. In some ways, given my age at the time, they will always mean more to me since they happened during the innocence of my childhood. I would almost bet that a Redskins Super Bowl win from this point forward will mean slightly less to me as a grown man than those championships did when I was somewhere between 5-14.

So, I think it depends on if you're in the age bracket that can actually "claim" a Super Bowl victory. Though I'm not thrilled to be speeding into my mid-thirties, it's a good age to be in the specific world of Redskin fandom!

Our biggest problem as a team has been the inability to adapt our past successes with our present teams. If we adopted a more productive approach that worked for us in the 80's...strong defense, one of the best offensive lines, great receiving group, clever offensive game plans....we'd likely have a winning team again. Our past is a blessing and a curse. We know how we won in the past but can't seem to replicate it. I blame that on the people in the organization who choose not to follow the successful winning formula and instead of concentrating on those areas decided to play the same game other teams were using. Our Superbowls are important but it's a curse because until we go back to what worked for us we can't expect winning seasons. We know the way to win, we just don't know how to evaluate personnel to make the new Hogs, the new Posse, or the new dominating defense.

It depends on who you're talking smack too but I don't really bring up past accomplishments anymore. It is going on 20 years since the last title.

I think the most I'd do now is just talk about how the Skins are tied for 6th all time in World Titles. Only the Packers (12....soon to be 13), Bears (9), Giants (7), and Steelers (6) have won more NFL Championships than the Skins. But other than that there is no point in talking smack to say a Falcons fan about the 56-17 win back in 1991. It really has nothing to do with what is going on now.

Imagine what we all would have said to say a Browns fan in 1991 if they started talking about a butt kicking the Browns gave the Skins back in 1965 or something. We all would have laughed at them.

Yea but those werent Super Bowl games tho. Unless Its right now I wouldnt discuss any other game in the past unless it was a Super Bowl cause that is the only thing that matters right?

Not necessarily, but the problem is that while 3 SB wins (and other pre-SB titles) are nice, it's been 20 years since we last made the NFCCG, despite 3 Divisional round appeareances since then. It won't be much longer before this sort of empty bravdo starts sounding like the guy who won't shut up about his 4 TD performance in his HS state championship game.

Al-Bundy.jpg

It's a nice thing to hang your hat on when the chips are down, but after a couple of decades of mediocrity it starts to ring hollow.

What's the point of all of this then?

Who cares who wins the Superbowl? We've won 3. Hell yeah I'm going to brag about it. Why? Cause I cheered for those (well at least 2 of those) like I cheered for my teams last game against the Giants.

If you can't brag, what's the ****ing point?

Our biggest problem as a team has been the inability to adapt our past successes with our present teams. If we adopted a more productive approach that worked for us in the 80's...strong defense, one of the best offensive lines, great receiving group, clever offensive game plans....we'd likely have a winning team again. Our past is a blessing and a curse. We know how we won in the past but can't seem to replicate it. I blame that on the people in the organization who choose not to follow the successful winning formula and instead of concentrating on those areas decided to play the same game other teams were using. Our Superbowls are important but it's a curse because until we go back to what worked for us we can't expect winning seasons. We know the way to win, we just don't know how to evaluate personnel to make the new Hogs, the new Posse, or the new dominating defense.

Well sure...I think any team that assembled a great D, great OL, great skill players, and a top game plan would succeed. I'd also bet that every team in NFL history is TRYING to do that. To me, that's not really a secret, the secret is in the HOW, not the WHAT.

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 11:30 AM ----------

What's the point of all of this then?

Who cares who wins the Superbowl? We've won 3. Hell yeah I'm going to brag about it. Why? Cause I cheered for those (well at least 2 of those) like I cheered for my teams last game against the Giants.

If you can't brag, what's the ****ing point?

Wow...you just said what I tried to say above...but much more concise and effective!!

Exactly right...if you don't get to use Super Bowls as ammo moving forward, then you essentially are cheering from minute to minute and day to day. If you do that, every team is on equal footing every week in the NFL.

I'd say that if you weren't born, or can't even remember the old Super Bowl victories then it's stupid to brag about them. I certainly don't remember bragging about the times Sammy Baugh won us championships to Dallas fans, lol.

Only Oldfan can still do that and be credible with his buddies but even Cardinals fans can remember being Champs that long ago, hell even the Lions.

Ultimately, I can't respect anyone who brags about something someone else did - that's just pathetic. It's fun as a fan to talk a little trash in jest, but I'm not going to have a pissing contest with someone over a sport neither of us plays.

So I take it that you dont feel that its "your" team then cause you didnt buy it?

So I take it that you dont feel that its "your" team then cause you didnt buy it?

It's "my" team because I'm a lifetime fan of the 'skins and no other, but I also see it for what it is - entertainment. I'm happy when they win and sad when they lose, but I'm going to pretend "my" team winning a Super Bowl is some sort of personal accomplishment on my part. Too many fans act like they're actually out there, making plays. That's just silly.

It's "my" team because I'm a lifetime fan of the 'skins and no other, but I also see it for what it is - entertainment. I'm happy when they win and sad when they lose, but I'm going to pretend "my" team winning a Super Bowl is some sort of personal accomplishment on my part. Too many fans act like they're actually out there, making plays. That's just silly.

lol I feel you. Some take it to heart more then others. I am one of those people *Jordan shrugs*

That's an interesting take. I don't see it that way at all, but it's an interesting take.

To me, just because we don't add anything to the team, I think it's perfectly justifiable to take pride in how they do.

The history is nice to think back on but it has no place in arguments/discussions unless they are specifically about that topic. Teams fluctuate on a year-to-year basis. It's all about the here and now. It's not like the past is going to change so you have to focus on what's happening and the present and look forward to the future. I hate when Cowboys fans are like we won 3 Superbowls in the 90's. It's like that's all they can cling too, especially after a dismal season. If they want to talk history, then hell, in recent history they've only been just as far as us since then.

Archived