Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Alex Smith be a Jake Plummer-like reclamation signing for Shanny?

pram11

No. I hope not.

I'm not sure he has quite the arm that Shanahan is looking for, nor have I ever thought he had the mobility he was advertised as having.

But most importantly, I don't think he makes good decisions with the ball. Watch any 9ers games this year?

The new coach in 49er land recently came out saying he really liked what he saw in Smith and was a distinct change from whats come out of there for some time. Could be a smoke screen but I like Smith and would be down with bringing him on in this year. In fact guys like this are whom I think we'd be best to target in Free Agency. My offensive target list:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?343449-Offseason-Free-Agent-Moves&p=8122345&viewfull=1#post8122345

The new coach in 49er land recently came out saying he really liked what he saw in Smith and was a distinct change from whats come out of there for some time. Could be a smoke screen but I like Smith and would be down with bringing him on in this year.

Coachspeak. There aren't any better options in FA and the trade market is non existent without a CBA. Harbaugh just doesn't want to burn any bridges.

That being said Smith is still young enough that he could be developed. He went through a similar ordeal as Campbell in that they changed coordinators every season. He also had to deal wtih an injury to his throwing shoulder. He's the kind of guy you want to bring to camp but you don't want to hand him a starting job. He might be best served in a Vick-like situation where he can sit for a year and really learn the offense and then compete the next season.

If that's the case then one could argue Hasslebeck "could" be an Elway-like reclamation signing for Shanny. It's always possible, but not likely. And I'd sooner take an older, injur-prone Hasslebeck over Alex Smith.

I would agree with this statement but MH is much older injury prone and has reached his potential, which cannot be said for Smith.

Alex Smith has major issue reading a defense and going through his reads.

So does your boy Jake Locker, according to some reports.

That said, I don't like Smith at all. No journeyman we sign is going to be a better stopgap guy than Grossman, who already knows the offense.

So does your boy Jake Locker, according to some reports.

That said, I don't like Smith at all. No journeyman we sign is going to be a better stopgap guy than Grossman, who already knows the offense.

see now you're getting personal

He can read defenses fine, its the football's fault. It floats away from WRs and it makes locker inaccurate. Plus the wind has something to do with it too... :silly:

Sorry -- didn't mean to come off as making it personal.

There were just reports from the senior bowl that he was having trouble reading defenses in practice.

Hail.

Actually, I was just kidding. Did you see the :silly: face at the end?

hmmm... kinda sounds like Donovan McNabb being the next John Elway to me...
One can hope that Grossman went in for evaluation purposes only. Or to motivate McNabb and the team. And that being in a new offense for the first time in his career since being a rookie over a decade ago, had something to do with McNabb's so-so last season.

Hate for Reid to be proven right trading him to us, like Parcells humiliated us with the Jason Taylor trade a while back.

One can hope that Grossman went in for evaluation purposes only. Or to motivate McNabb and the team. And that being in a new offense for the first time in his career since being a rookie over a decade ago, had something to do with McNabb's so-so last season.

Hate for Reid to be proven right trading him to us, like Parcells humiliated us with the Jason Taylor trade a while back.

Can't see McNabb taking one snap for the Redskins next season. As much as I'd like us to move forward with him, draft Julio Jones at 10, and continue to build this team until we find a QB that we absolutely LOVE, Shanny has burnt the McNabb bridge to ash.

Alex is smart in terms of intelligence but he clearly lacks leadership skills. After six years, the 49er players do not view him as their quarterback. He can throw the short ball but not great throwing the long ball. I think he had trouble reading defenses his first few years. He will end up as the number two quarterback in San Diego. He and Norv Turner seemed to click before. The Redskins do not need a reclamation project after dealing with Campbell.

Jake Plummer was famous for his 4th quarter comebacks and he actually lead a team, that was less talented than the modern 49ers, to the playoffs. Alex Smith hasn't done anything that would lead me to believe that he has any future as a good NFL QB. So, I'd say no.

The new coach in 49er land recently came out saying he really liked what he saw in Smith and was a distinct change from whats come out of there for some time. Could be a smoke screen but I like Smith and would be down with bringing him on in this year. In fact guys like this are whom I think we'd be best to target in Free Agency. My offensive target list:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?343449-Offseason-Free-Agent-Moves&p=8122345&viewfull=1#post8122345

wow...this sounds like the exact thing Shanahan came in and said about JC...and we see what happened there.....LOL for sure a smoke screen

Archived