Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Could Alex Smith be a Jake Plummer-like reclamation signing for Shanny?

pram11

So does your boy Jake Locker, according to some reports.

That said, I don't like Smith at all. No journeyman we sign is going to be a better stopgap guy than Grossman, who already knows the offense.

Yup, Grossman has a few years in this system i feel fine going into THIS season with him. Hopefully we draft someone this year or next. We need to find our guy for the next 10-12 years.

At his best Alex Smith is a high risk/high reward QB. There is a reason he was benched, starter, benched, starter....etc etc in San Francisco. The guy could make some plays, but also did a lot to take the team out of the game.

He actually kind of reminds me of Rex Grossman (on the Bears).

If Grossman is on the roster in 2011, I see no need for a younger version of him, in Alex Smith.

Holy hell,.....why would the Skins want a retread like Alex Smith, damaged goods, and hope that he can have a similar outcome to Jake Plummer's time in Denver? What exactly did Plummer do that was so good in Denver?

This is the kind of thinking that keeps the Skins wallowed in mediocrity. Loser mentality.

Holy hell,.....why would the Skins want a retread like Alex Smith, damaged goods, and hope that he can have a similar outcome to Jake Plummer's time in Denver? What exactly did Plummer do that was so good in Denver?

This is the kind of thinking that keeps the Skins wallowed in mediocrity. Loser mentality.

Actually Plummer in Denver wasn't as bad as people say. They did beat the Patriots in the playoffs in 2005 before losing to the Steelers in the AFC Title game.

Actually Plummer in Denver wasn't as bad as people say. They did beat the Patriots in the playoffs in 2005 before losing to the Steelers in the AFC Title game.

I agree, he wasn't that bad for the most part in Denver.

But, I wouldn't say "he" beat the Patriots. He never really did light it up in the playoffs.

I just wish the coaches had worked with McNabb to maximize his ability. It would have required Kyle tweaking his offense a bit - but it could of worked. I think having Kyle's pal Grossman already there and waiting was the worst thing that could have happened to McNabb. Kyle knew if he kept the offense as is he would eventually get his way and have Rexy under center.

Now we have humilated and thrown away a quarterback who was in the probowl in 2009, who was on pace to set the all-time Redskins passing record, all so we can enjoy such quarterback treasures as Rex Grossman or journeymen like Alex Smith. I had faith that McNabb could do something great - like that last second touchdown pass he threw on his last play as a Redskin. I don't have that kind of faith in Grossman at all.

If one thing makes me mad about this past season, it was how badly this offense utilized McNabb and basically treated him as the team scapegoat.

Now we have humilated and thrown away a quarterback who was in the probowl in 2009, who was on pace to set the all-time Redskins passing record, all so we can enjoy such quarterback treasures as Rex Grossman or journeymen like Alex Smith. I had faith that McNabb could do something great - like that last second touchdown pass he threw on his last play as a Redskin. I don't have that kind of faith in Grossman at all.

Grossman outplayed McNabb. So compared to the Eagle, Grossman certainly was a quarterback treasure.

If that's the case then one could argue Hasslebeck "could" be an Elway-like reclamation signing for Shanny. It's always possible, but not likely. And I'd sooner take an older, injur-prone Hasslebeck over Alex Smith.

Why would anyone want to take an old Hasselback over a much younger Smith? I don't get that

---------- Post added February-1st-2011 at 10:30 AM ----------

How is it a loser mentality? Low risk, possibly high reward. We need to stay away from players who are already "established" stars and instead bring in young guys with something to prove. Our mentality of signing that high priced Free Agent who was great on his last team and us thinking that they can replicate that on our teams never worked for us. We need hungrier younger players who know if they don't make it here they are likely out of the league forever. That way they are motivated to find success instead of getting guys who just come here for Redskin money and don't play up to potential. Those players will fit nicely under the cap and if they can't perform they wont hurt us in dead cap space if cut

For me there's only one question that needs to be answered. Is he better than Rex Grossman? I'm going to say yes, and not because I think he's that much better from a talent standpoint. Simply put, I think he exudes a lot more mental toughness than Rex. If Grossman makes one mistake in a game, might as well just call it quits and take the L cause he's rarely going to recover from it. Smith on the other hand, might make some bad decisions, but it's not because he becomes timid and is afraid to fail. It really depends on what happens with the CBA though. I don't want to give up McNabb for nothing, because without a doubt he's still a starting QB in the league, even if it's not with us. So if things don't get worked out in time for us to trade him to somebody, then keep him for another year hope like hell he picks up the offense. Then that leaves one backup spot cause I'm assuming their keeping Beck as the 3rd QB to see if they can develop him. It's either Grossman or Smith than, and I say go with Smith cause Grossman isn't the answer anyway. Smith can get a year to learn the system as Grossman did and then we get a chance to see what he does next year if he can win the starting job over whoever else we bring in the year after. If we trade McNabb this season and don't draft a QB then sign Smith and re-sign Grossman and may the best man win.

Archived