Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

db: Gibbs: America Will Not Take Sides in Egypt

JMS

Remembering that one article somebody posted, where they floated the idea of Mubarik announcing that he won't run for reelection.

That's starting to look like a really good option, to me. My opinion (which isn't worth much) is that the mere announcement will end the demonstrations. Mubarik gets to make a graceful exit. All of the anger goes from getting rid of Mubarik into the upcoming election. There's a peaceful transition of power.

To me, that's looking like a really good option.

Interesting that military stepped in to protect the demonstrators and allow peaceful demonstrations.

I think Mumbarak will have to come out promise open elections monitored by people outside in order to make peace and release people from prison and house arrest.

From what I've heard from my peeps over there, if Mubarak steps down, the person replacing him is most likely to be pro-Western since the US isnt going to give 1B to see Egypt fall into the hands of extremists.

wouldnt it then be logical for us to simply not give the $1Billion regardless of whom is in power?

Actually, this is one of those times when I find myself wondering if maybe the thing that Carter was most ridiculed for, if Carter wasn't right.......

........How much of the currently rampant anti-Americanism in the Middle East, wouldn't exist if we demanded that we won't support people who repress religious minorities?

I agree with Larry here

I always thought that one of the Few successes Carter had was bringing Egypt over to the West

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/egypt/8289686/Egypt-protests-Americas-secret-backing-for-rebel-leaders-behind-uprising.html

The American Embassy in Cairo helped a young dissident attend a US-sponsored summit for activists in New York, while working to keep his identity secret from Egyptian state police.

On his return to Cairo in December 2008, the activist told US diplomats that an alliance of opposition groups had drawn up a plan to overthrow President Hosni Mubarak and install a democratic government in 2011.

The secret document in full

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/world/middleeast/29iran.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

“I am more optimistic about Egypt,” Mr. Larijani said in comments published Friday on the Web site Khabar Online, which is closely linked to his brother, Ali Larijani, the Parliament speaker.

“There, Muslims are more active in political agitation and, God willing, they will establish the regime that they want,” Mohammad-Javad Larijani said.

Some here have even echoed the pan-Islamic rhetoric of the founder of the Islamic Republic, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

“Today, as a result of the gifts of the Islamic revolution in Iran, freedom-loving Islamic peoples such as the peoples of Tunisia, Egypt and nearby Arab countries are standing up to their oppressive governments,” said a leading hard-line cleric, Ayatollah Mohammad-Taghi Mesbah-Yazdi, who is believed to have influence with President Ahmadinejad.

In comments published Friday on the Web site of the semiofficial news agency ISNA, Ayatollah Mesbah-Yazdi, who favors a political system in which elections merely endorse “divinely chosen” clerical leaders, congratulated the people of Tunisia and Egypt, stating that they had acted “based on the principles” of Iran’s Islamic revolution.

.....The American Embassy in Cairo helped a young dissident attend a US-sponsored summit for activists in New York, while working to keep his identity secret from Egyptian state police......
Maybe playing both sides?

We are always gonna be an Evil Empire to the Middle East.....but this way we can say.."But we gave you $$$$$$"

It's very similar to the US position in the Philippines. They supported a horrible dictator in Ferdinand Marcos. When there was an uprising against Marcos, the US stayed, publicly, on the sidelines until it was clear the "People's Power" movement was going to oust him.

It is military aid...they use it to buy our weapons/ships/planes which in return, gives American companies work and money.

thats a stretch. you could make that claim about any form of aid but its weak rationalization when our overall economic position is considered. If its American jobs and money we are concerned with, I wouldnt think sending that oney out of American would be the first mode of operation when logic is applied.

thats a stretch. you could make that claim about any form of aid but its weak rationalization when our overall economic position is considered. If its American jobs and money we are concerned with, I wouldnt think sending that oney out of American would be the first mode of operation when logic is applied.

That process is how I make money...I work with the transferring of weapons/planes/ships to Egypt ;)

That process is how I make money...I work with the transferring of weapons/planes/ships to Egypt ;)

I'm glad for you on a personal level (always like seeing someone make money!)

Though, I still feel that sending $1B to Egypt is fairly worthless and even detrimental in some aspects to our national economy at this moment in time

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2011/01/29/nr.lee.cairo.gunshots.cnn?hpt=T1

An eyewitness details the scene at Egypt's Ministry of the Interior building where gunshots erupted Saturday.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/01/29/egypt.protests/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

The world's attention fell on central Cairo where the Army was deployed to replace police forces that clashed brutally with demonstrators. But with many Cairo neighborhoods left without any security, Egyptians began to feel the sting of politics cutting into personal safety.

Shops and businesses were looted and abandoned police stations stripped clean of their arsenals.

In one area, residents set up barricades and handed out sticks and kitchen knives as defense measures. Another group of men armed themselves and planned to sit outside all night to guard their houses.

After days of silence, the embattled Mubarak acted swiftly Saturday. He fired his entire cabinet, then tapped two new leaders to stand by his side.

Military replace police in Alexandria Mubarak appointed his trusted and powerful intelligence chief, Omar Suleiman, as his deputy, the first time the authoritarian regime has seen such a post. He also asked Ahmed Shafik, the civil aviation minister in the cabinet that just stepped down, to form a new government, state-run Nile TV reported. Shafik is a former Air Force officer with strong military connections.

But Egyptians fed up with with what they see as Mubarak's hollow promises for reform were hardly appeased. In a fifth day of protests engulfing the Arab world's most populous nation, people took to the streets, chanting "Down with Mubarak" and burning pictures of the authoritarian leader.

The demonstrations Saturday in Cairo and other cities were boisterous but largely peaceful. One exception was near the cordoned-off Interior Ministry, where security forces clashed violently with demonstrators Saturday afternoon.

At least one person was killed, Dr. Ragab Ali said at the Ebad Al-Rahman Clinic, a medical center near the Interior Ministry, though another doctor treating the wounded said at least five people had been shot to death.

The clashes injured at least 60 people, Ali said.

There was confusion about the human toll in the demonstrations thus far.

At least 31 people were killed in Alexandria, Egypt, hospital authorities told CNN. Earlier, the state-run Nile TV earlier reported 38 people died. It was unclear whether the Alexandria deaths were part of that toll.

Chaos reigned at Alexandria's short-staffed hospitals, where injured protesters hurled anger at doctors for not treating them quickly enough.

At the Interior Ministry in Cairo, police surged forward, shooting live ammunition and burning tear gas as protesters rumbled towards the building, an Alamo of sorts for the police and an outpost that stood as a highly visible and potent symbol of state authority.

Nearby, tension simmered in Tahrir Square, now littered with rocks, glass, garbage and other debris after five days of tumult. People picked up spent shotgun cartridges and tear gas canisters that said "Made in the U.S.A." They called Mubarak a puppet of America.

---------- Post added January-29th-2011 at 02:53 PM ----------

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/world/middleeast/29iran.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

“I am more optimistic about Egypt,” Mr. Larijani said in comments published Friday on the Web site Khabar Online, which is closely linked to his brother, Ali Larijani, the Parliament speaker.

“There, Muslims are more active in political agitation and, God willing, they will establish the regime that they want,” Mohammad-Javad Larijani said.

Some here have even echoed the pan-Islamic rhetoric of the founder of the Islamic Republic, Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini.

“Today, as a result of the gifts of the Islamic revolution in Iran, freedom-loving Islamic peoples such as the peoples of Tunisia, Egypt and nearby Arab countries are standing up to their oppressive governments,” said a leading hard-line cleric, Ayatollah Mohammad-Taghi Mesbah-Yazdi, who is believed to have influence with President Ahmadinejad.

In comments published Friday on the Web site of the semiofficial news agency ISNA, Ayatollah Mesbah-Yazdi, who favors a political system in which elections merely endorse “divinely chosen” clerical leaders, congratulated the people of Tunisia and Egypt, stating that they had acted “based on the principles” of Iran’s Islamic revolution.

Ha ha ha! The Iranian goverment is so full of ****.

They don't know how to do anything other than bs.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/29/latest-developments-in-egypt-protests/?hpt=T1

The Iranian government urges Egypt to react peacefully to public demonstrations and respond constructively to demonstrators' demands, Iran's state-run Press TV reports.

"Iran expects Egyptian officials to listen to the voice of their Muslim people, respond to their rightful demands and refrain from exerting violence by security forces and police against an Islamic wave of awareness that has spread through the country in form of a popular movement," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast said Saturday.

Tehran attaches great importance to the fulfillment of public demands in Egypt, he said.

"Iran regards demonstrations by the Muslim people of this country as a justice-seeking movement in line with their national-religious demands.

In 2009, the Iranian government carried out a bloody crackdown on political demonstrations following the suspicious landslide re-election victory of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/01/29/latest-developments-in-egypt-protests/?hpt=T1

[update 12:53 a.m. Cairo, 5:53 p.m. ET] - In front of military tanks, people have gathered arm in arm outside the Egyptian Museum, protecting the famed building from looters.

[update 10:47 p.m. Cairo, 3:47 p.m. ET] - CNN's Ben Wedeman (#bencnn) sent these tweets within the past 20 minutes:

•Neighborhood protection groups wearing white arm bands in Cairo. People getting organised to end chaos and looting.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/01/29/egypt.protests/index.html?hpt=T1&iref=BN1

Not new stuff here, but I think it bears looking at again in a specific focus.

I saw a lot of people today in the news talking about having to become vigilantes and protect their businesses and homes.

There's a lot of rumors going around that the police and plainsclothed thugs are behind some of the looting.

On CNN they showed guys riding around on motorcycles with swords attacking places and being chased off.

In one area, residents set up barricades and handed out sticks and kitchen knives as defense measures. Another group of men armed themselves and planned to sit outside all night to guard their houses.

"There have been no police officers on the streets since this morning," Cairo resident Sherief Abdelbaki said. "All the men are trying to protect the ladies, their wives and children."

Military replace police in Alexandria "We have all become vigilantes ... it's like the Wild West," he said. "Where is the security?"

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2045124,00.html#ixzz1CTHFIXzf

In some neighborhoods, civilians had taken on the role of providing security themselves. "There aren't enough soldiers, so I'm here protecting the neighborhood," says 23-year old Mohammed Karim, who was part of a gang of stick-wielding men checking traffic and IDs in the neighborhood of Zamalek. "The regime wants the people to be against the revolution so they want them to think it's unstable," adds Osama Lotfi, a lawyer who blames the looting on interior ministry forces.

It's interesting to see the ways in which people have responded to the lack of police protection.

More updates from the museum and elsewhere:

[update 1:16 a.m. Cairo, 6:16 p.m. ET] - CNN's Ben Wedeman (#bencnn) tweeted that angry crowds dragged two looters to soldiers. The army is in control of the Egyptian Museum.

In Alexandria, CNN's Nic Robertson (#NicRobertsonCNN) tweeted that gangs of machete- and iron bar-wielding youths are stalking the deserted streets of Alexandria despite a curfew.

Apparently the police haven't completely disapeared from every city.

They seem to be uh...protecting some police stations and government buildings still.

[update 1:33 a.m. Cairo, 6:33 p.m. ET]– Seventeen people have been shot to death by Egyptian police, according to Reuters.

Twelve people were killed trying to attack a police station in Beni Suef governorate, south of Cairo, Reuters reported. Another five people died in an attempted attack on a station in Nassar city, according to Reuters.

---------- Post added January-29th-2011 at 06:56 PM ----------

Oh ****.

[update 1:50 a.m. Cairo, 6:50 p.m. ET] - About 1,000 prisoners have escaped from Fayoum Prison, located about an hour from Cairo, according to Nile TV. The inmates are "on the streets causing chaos and families are scared," Nile TV reported.

Mubarak has completely lost control of the country. I think it's time for him to resign.

I wonder what the chances are of international peace keepers or the UN stepping in soon.

I wonder what the chances are of international peace keepers or the UN stepping in soon.

You're joking, right?

Although I bet Iran would be perfectly willing to help out. Bet they could sent thousands of people who'd be willing to help.

----------

I keep flashing back to the post that suggested that if Mubarik says he won't run for reelection, then the protests evaporate. Seem to recall that there's an election already scheduled for later this year? If Mubarik is willing to announce his retirement at the end of this term, then the focus shifts from getting rid of him to "Who are we gonna vote for?" There's a peaceful transition. I think it would be the best possible outcome.

Archived