Extremeskins

ESPN: Raiders Hire OC Al Saunders

dsciambi

Is Bin Laden alive?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Is Bin Laden alive?

• Yes- He is still alive and plotting against America
    • No- He is dead and 6 feet under

The Raiders hired former Ravens assistant coach Al Saunders as their offensive coordinator, a league source told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Thursday.

Saunders was given permission to talk to the Raiders by Ravens coach John Harbaugh, who said Tuesday he would never want to deny a coach an opportunity.

"Obviously you never want to lose really good coaches," Harbaugh said. "Al Saunders is a great coach and a great man. He's tremendous and he's been huge for us."

Saunders has been an offensive consultant for Baltimore the past two seasons, working on the staff with new Raiders coach Hue Jackson in 2009. Jackson went to Oakland last year as offensive coordinator and was promoted to head coach in place of Tom Cable earlier this week.

Click link for more... http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6043918&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

Looks like Campbell will finally have a familiar offense for the first time in a decade.

Looks like Campbell will finally have a familiar offense for the first time in a decade.

Jackson's offense was probably heavily influenced by Al Saunders' offense, so there probably won't be much difference for Campbell. I'm glad he's finally getting some of the stability that he's lacked for most of his football career. Hopefully, he does something with it.

just seeing the name Al Sounders....and in connection with being an "OC" makes me smile at how the reaction was to many Skins fans, when he was hired as the OC here, and Gregg Williams was the DC.........it was one of those "put the SB trophy in our case" moments. hilarious!

I know its off topic, please don't chew my head off....but c'mon you all have to see the comedy in it as well....

and yes, I know the comedy in JJ saying "we are hosting the SB" then finishing tied for LAST in the NFCE and the comedy of Dallas going 13-3 and losing to the Giants, or the Comedy of Dallas being the media darling and SB favorites, only to end up with the 9th pick in the draft! all very good comedy indeed..so yes, I do laugh at Dallas almost as much as i do the Skins!

But that little moment of having Al Sounders as the OC and all the hype surrounding it!!! Priceless. Some one with great searching skills and with a lot of time on your hands.......go search that out and bump those threads! LOL

Nice...I can't see this not working out. I mean, Campbell did so well in this offense in 2007 and took the Skins to the playoffs.

I actually thought toward the end of that season he was on the edge of breaking out. While he did make some critical mistakes, I also thought there was a lot good in the games against Philly, Dallas and Tampa. Course, then Saunders left, Campbell was put into a system he wasn't really suited for, and the OL deteriorated. It would have been interesting to see how things would have been different if Gibbs stayed another year.

Interesting. I remember John Keim saying in a chat that Saunders didn't think much of JC and had pleaded with Gibbs to bench him even before he got hurt. Course, that was a couple years ago and situations change. AFC West should be damn tough next year.

just seeing the name Al Sounders....and in connection with being an "OC" makes me smile at how the reaction was to many Skins fans, when he was hired as the OC here, and Gregg Williams was the DC.........it was one of those "put the SB trophy in our case" moments. hilarious!

I know its off topic, please don't chew my head off....but c'mon you all have to see the comedy in it as well....

and yes, I know the comedy in JJ saying "we are hosting the SB" then finishing tied for LAST in the NFCE and the comedy of Dallas going 13-3 and losing to the Giants, or the Comedy of Dallas being the media darling and SB favorites, only to end up with the 9th pick in the draft! all very good comedy indeed..so yes, I do laugh at Dallas almost as much as i do the Skins!

But that little moment of having Al Sounders as the OC and all the hype surrounding it!!! Priceless. Some one with great searching skills and with a lot of time on your hands.......go search that out and bump those threads! LOL

I don't see it as being that funny, but if you go to most fanbase websites during the offseason, every fan has hope that that one move will put them over the top. Gibbs offense was deemed outdated when he came back, so hiring Saunders was supposed to boost the offense. We had talent, but there was too much of a conflict amongst the coaches as to how the offense was supposed to be run. Saunders had been in the NFL more recently then Gibbs, so he was supposed to help us. It didn't happen, just as other team's moves didn't put them over the top either.

I don't see it as being that funny, but if you go to most fanbase websites during the offseason, every fan has hope that that one move will put them over the top. Gibbs offense was deemed outdated when he came back, so hiring Saunders was supposed to boost the offense. We had talent, but there was too much of a conflict amongst the coaches as to how the offense was supposed to be run. Saunders had been in the NFL more recently then Gibbs, so he was supposed to help us. It didn't happen, just as other team's moves didn't put them over the top either.

damn you and your logic, putting me in my place :(

It was funny for me....for at least 10 minutes, but now i come back and see this and it isn't that funny anymore. Have a nice weekend pjfootballer..........who ya got this weekend. my hear would like to see the Jets VS the Packers (as much as i hate the pack, my hate for Cutler is way BIGGER) , but my Brain is telling me Steelers VS Packers!

Imma a Rex Ryan fan......love that mans defense, and look to model my own playbooks after his.

I actually thought toward the end of that season he was on the edge of breaking out. While he did make some critical mistakes, I also thought there was a lot good in the games against Philly, Dallas and Tampa. Course, then Saunders left, Campbell was put into a system he wasn't really suited for, and the OL deteriorated. It would have been interesting to see how things would have been different if Gibbs stayed another year.

He was showing incremental improvement...you might be right. The difference in the offense the second Collins came in though was jarring. Maybe I'm swayed by how much smoother our offense looked behind a career backup? I believe if Gibbs and Saunders had returned in 2008, Todd Collins would have been our starting QB and we'd have tried to piggy-back off of our playoff berth in 2007.

are you being sarcastic?

Very much so.

Nice...I can't see this not working out. I mean, Campbell did so well in this offense in 2007 and took the Skins to the playoffs.

You are kidding right. The offense started to work wants Campbell got injured and Collins got the nod.

The more I think about this, I don't think I'm willing to concede the point that he was improving. I think he played better earlier in the season, to be honest.

Now, I do agree that he had strong games (overall) against Philly and Dallas in the middle of the season. His critical mistakes aside, I'd imagine he had very good statistics in those two games. However, the last three games he played were against TB, Buffalo, and Chicago and he looked progressively worse (to me). He accounted for 3-4 of our turnovers against TB, did nothing on offense against Buffalo (I realize the team was down for that game, but you see QBs step up in emotional games like that all the time), and he was doing nothing in the first part of the Bear game before Collins came in and dropped 24 points on Chicago in 3/4 of a game.

Campbell finished with more turnovers than TDs in 2007 while Collins had 5-6 TDs and no turnovers in his 3+ games.

He was showing incremental improvement...you might be right. The difference in the offense the second Collins came in though was jarring.

The "second Collins came in"? Not quite.

When Collins came into the Bears game to replace Campbell, he did the following:

- Incomplete pass

- 4 yard completion

- Sack and fumbled, giving the ball back to the Bears around the 50 yard line

Collins was bailed out, though, by Shawn Springs intercepting Greise and taking the ball all the way back to the Bears' 20 yard line. Collins then threw a 20-yard TD after that.

Collins started out the 3rd quarter with a pass behind the LOS to Portis, who then ran 55 yards down to inside the Bears' 5 yard line.

That's not exactly a "jarring" start to his playing time in that game lol :)...Collins did start to shine in the 4th quarter, where he was damn near perfect. But up until then he was pedestrian, at best.

He was showing incremental improvement...you might be right. The difference in the offense the second Collins came in though was jarring. Maybe I'm swayed by how much smoother our offense looked behind a career backup? I believe if Gibbs and Saunders had returned in 2008, Todd Collins would have been our starting QB and we'd have tried to piggy-back off of our playoff berth in 2007.

Very much so.

The only reason Collins looked so good was that he wasn't yet looking to get hit on every throw. Once he did, he was actually worse.

The "second Collins came in"? Not quite.

When Collins came into the Bears game to replace Campbell, he did the following:

- Incomplete pass

- 4 yard completion

- Sack and fumbled, giving the ball back to the Bears around the 50 yard line

Collins was bailed out, though, by Shawn Springs intercepting Greise and taking the ball all the way back to the Bears' 20 yard line. Collins then threw a 20-yard TD after that.

Collins started out the 3rd quarter with a pass behind the LOS to Portis, who then ran 55 yards down to inside the Bears' 5 yard line.

That's not exactly a "jarring" start to his playing time in that game lol :)...Collins did start to shine in the 4th quarter, where he was damn near perfect. But up until then he was pedestrian, at best.

:ols:

Talk about your ultimate nit-pick.

Fine, it took him a couple possessions to shake off 10 years of rust before he was able to easily outplay our first-round draft pick/four-year veteran/two-year starter.

yeah, i mean, with a solid and competent front office leading this team, how could we not make the playoffs. we were a well oiled machine with Vinny leading the way.

The only reason Collins looked so good was that he wasn't yet looking to get hit on every throw. Once he did, he was actually worse.

That's the only reason?

Collins played 3 very good games in the 4 regular season games he played in. The only bad outing was against the Giants where the wind gusts were apparently ridiculous. I don't remember his numbers, but I remember them being very, very bad despite making a couple nice throws/big plays.

By your logic, if the two QBs were comparable until they started getting hit, shouldn't Campbell have put up similar numbers in his first 4 games? By my count, in Campbell's first 4 games of 2007 he had a 59% completion rate, about 870 yards, and 4/3 TD-to-INT ratio (note that this included possibly his best game as a pro against the Lions). Collins had a 64% completion rate, just a few more yards (888), and a 5/0 TD-to-INT ratio.

Archived