Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNET: Nintendo 3DS official details revealed: March 27, $249

Homercles82

In case you missed our live blog coverage of the Nintendo 3DS press conference, we're rounded up the salient details here, some of which we've seen before, some of which are new.

• US release date: March 27, 2011
  • MSRP: $249.99
  • Confirmed third-party launch window games: The Sims (EA); Ridge Racer 3D (Namco Bandai); Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition (Capcom); Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D (Capcom); Dead of Alive: Dimensions (Tecmo); Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 (Konami); Madden Football (EA); Asphalt 3D (Ubisoft); Combat of Giants (Ubisoft): Dinosaurs; Lego Star Wars (Lucasarts)
  • Confirmed Nintendo launch window games: Pilotwings Resort; Nintendogs + Cats; SteelDiver; Kid Icarus Uprising; Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time;
  • DS and DSi backwards compatible, including downloadable games
  • 2GB SD card included
  • Comes in blue and black
  • The d-pad is augmented by a new analog mini-stick
  • Includes a gyroscope and accelerometer
  • Includes a charging dock instead of a traditional A/C cable
  • Two camera lenses for 3D photography, plus one inward-facing camera

Stay tuned for further photos, video, and hands-on impressions of the Nintendo 3DS and its games

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-20028802-1.html#ixzz1BUnzgIfA

$249? Ugh. I am excited about the product. The games look great but $249 with no internal memory mention and a 2GB SD card only? And as a commentator on there said, a handheld system that costs more than the Wii is a bit annoying.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I STILL don't know how it could be 3D w/o glasses.
It's basically moving the glasses to the screen. Or more accurately, a "parallax barrier" that sits right on top of the screen. Since people are generally holding the DS pretty close to their face, it can project one image towards the left eye and another image towards the right eye just by angling the image to the right and left.

http://mediakick.org/2010/06/21/nintendo-3ds-how-it-works/

I STILL don't know how it could be 3D w/o glasses.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallax_barrier

My understanding is that it is a technology that the downside is a very limited viewing angle. For something like a 3DS, it probably fits perfectly.

I have also heard concerns about battery life with the 3DS, but until people actually get it in their hands, it is just rumors.

You mean you weren't playing kick the can?

No way, all bottles back then and you got a nickel each to return them to 7-eleven. Paid for pinball and candy while waiting for the bus.

Oh and the pinball machines had white rotating score wheels, not digital. :ols:

No way, all bottles back then and you got a nickel each to return them to 7-eleven. Paid for pinball and candy while waiting for the bus.

Oh and the pinball machines had white rotating score wheels, not digital. :ols:

We actually had a long discussion about kick the can over the weekend because my friend wouldn't shutup about soccer so I told him point blank, kick the can is more fun than watching soccer. That's what my parents played back in the 50's or so they tell me.

Analyst: Nintendo will 'regret' $249 3DS pricing

Consumers may be happy to see the Nintendo 3DS selling for $249 when it launches March 27, but at least one analyst thinks its price tag will cause severe supply shortages and hurt the company.

In an IndustryGamers interview published yesterday, Wedbush analyst Michael Pachter said he believes Nintendo is "going to regret" pricing the 3DS so low.

"It's going to sell out and they're leaving money on the table," Pachter told IndustryGamers. "It's not shareholder friendly, but consumers are going to love the $249 price point."

Pachter added that "most consumers" would expect the device, which allows users to play 3D video games without wearing glasses, to be priced at "$300 or more." The 3DS will look like a "bargain," he said. As a result, consumers will scoop them all up.

In fact, Pachter asserts that consumers will "never see one in stores in 2011" and that the lucky few who get the device will put it "on eBay for $500 immediately."

Supply shortages are nothing new for Nintendo. When the company launched its Wii console back in 2006, it experienced shortages for years. Consoles were sold by owners online for much more than their sticker price.

Leaving money on the table, however, is not necessarily something that Nintendo wants right now. During the six-month period that ended September 30, the company posted a $24.6 million loss on lower DS and Wii sales. The company also saw its hardware sales decline in 2010, led by the Wii, which hit just 7 million unit sales. In 2008, Nintendo sold over 10 million Wii units, and hit nearly 10 million unit sales in 2009.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-20029038-17.html#ixzz1BgHLbs6c

Sorry Mr. Analyst but I think $249 is the sweet spot even though I think it is high but I am cheap.

Sorry Mr. Analyst but I think $249 is the sweet spot even though I think it is high but I am cheap.

When I saw that title, I thought they were going to suggest that Nintendo was charging too much for it, not too little. There are going to be a lot of people where paying more for a portable game system than what they could pay for a Wii is going to be a tough pill to swallow, particularly when DS lites can be gotten for under $100. I also think DS XLs will still be popular for a while, since they have bigger screens than the 3DS.

Archived