Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Potential Starters Next Year

Trippster

Both Bryant and Montgomery played adequately.
So did McNabb/Grossman - 9th ranked passing in yards per game. Get a center and maybe you have a running game (30th) and scoring (26th) to match. Montgomery got better as the year progressed, but he's not elite, by any stretch. Keep Rabach to teach a new guy, but don't start him.

I find it curious that Vegas has the odds favoring the Skins opening the season with a QB that is signed in free agency instead of McNabb, Grossman, or a 2011 draft pick....what does Vegas know that we don't?

Too many people take the odds in Vegas as gospel. It has almost nothing to do with what they know vs. what you know. It is all about where the money places. While the Eagles may have been the odds on favorite to win, it basically breaks down to where the Sports Books think the money is going to be bet. The more money bet on one side of the line causes the line to move in the opposite direction. So, if they have if team is at 3 points to win a game and the majority of money is on that team to win the game, the line will move to try and get money on the other side, It may move to 4 points or more to lure the bettors to take the underdog. Same goes for futures bets. They try to lessen the amount of money they will lose as well as try to maximize the money they take in. So, while there is some knowledge involved, in creating the lines, it really doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of betting.

A good example of this is the Cowboys are always early favorites, or close to it, to win the SB. They get a lot of bets on them to win it all. If they open at 3-1 favorites, the odds could drop to 2-1, due to the amount of money bet. In my opinion, that is a sucker bet to bet the futures on the Cowboys to win. The Sports Books win a lot of money off of Cowboy fans. We all know they won't win, but, people bet with their hearts (or rear ends, in the Cowboys case).

And he's not a ZB type of OL by any stretch of the imagination.

And what do you base that on? BMW has very quick feet for his size and is actually pretty athletic, With 2 additional years of strengnth and conditioning under his belt, I'll bet he may surprise you.

He wasn't a first round draft pick for nothing. He had issues keeping his weight down and has seemed to have corrected that problem.

James Harrison was a journeyman, too. Just sayin. ;)

Haha, well I will go out on a limb and say Anthony Bryant "probably" won't be that rare journeyman who becomes NFL defensive player of the year.

I'm not a football expert, but I've heard a bunch of times that in the 3-4, NT is absolutely critical -- maybe even the most important position on the field.

If your NT gets pushed around and doesn't command double-teams, everything else falls apart.

If that's true, then I'm not going to settle for a guy who's started like 5 games in 5 years and has been cut by some really awful teams.

I know he looked okay in those last couple games for us, and if he's a "late bloomer" who turns into a good player, then GREAT. But I'm not putting my eggs in that basket.

And what do you base that on? BMW has very quick feet for his size and is actually pretty athletic, With 2 additional years of strengnth and conditioning under his belt, I'll bet he may surprise you.

He wasn't a first round draft pick for nothing. He had issues keeping his weight down and has seemed to have corrected that problem.

Come on wrecker - do you really think BMW is capable of playing in Mike's ZB system? I personally do not, but hey - I hope I'm wrong and I'm wrong often enough.

Come on wrecker - do you really think BMW is capable of playing in Mike's ZB system? I personally do not, but hey - I hope I'm wrong and I'm wrong often enough.

I absolutely think Mike is capable for the ZBS. He was going to be the starting RG (that he earned in training camp) this year until they found the blood clot and had to shut him down. I was very disappointed at the time because I expected good things from him. He may not have the lateral speed needed to be a great tackle, as was the position he was drafted with the 4th overall pick, but he has very quick feet and is more than adaquate to be a effective guard in a ZBS. I feel he would have been a great upgrade especially to our running game this year. I really hope he can come back next year to prove the doubters wrong.

They should earn their starting spot in training camp. Neither one played so great for so long to just be handed a starting spot. But they should certainly be in the mix and be given the opportunity to win the starting job.

Agreed, and that goes for every position on the field. Let them compete in training camp before any starters are named.

As for whether these two showed enough to make them potential starters, I'd say Bryant looked better, but both showed enough that they could start (on the Redskins). :)

Offense:

WR: Moss, Armstrong, Austin, Banks, Kelly, Furrey, Williams

One proven WR, four with potential, two need upgrading. Unless Kelly steps up, will need the #1 receiver. May be first pick of draft.

RB: Torrain, Portis, Williams , Davis, McNeal, Brown, Simpson

No proven RBs, two with potential, four that need upgrading.

Need a change of pace/screen back. Portis should do well as a 3rd down back and depth for Torain.

OT: Brown, Williams, Heyer, Capers, Fulton, Oldenburg

Two quality tackles with Capers with potential. Look to be set at the Tackle spot for now. Will need quality depth and a replacement for Brown.

G: Williams, Montgomery, Hicks, Lichtensteiger, Dockery, Cook

Will Montgomery seems to be a player, may be better suited to replace Rabach. Would be nice to have Mike Williams back but with his size, may not be fluid enough to play in this offense. Hicks and Dockery need to go. Need one starter.

C: Rabach, Montgomery, Cook

If Montgomery slides here, will need two starters at guard. Rabach must go. Need depth.

FB: Sellers, Young

Need a new full back.

TE: Cooley, Davis, Paulsen

Set.

QB: McNabb, Grossman, Beck

Need young Franchise QB. Can get by with Grossman for a year.

Defense:

DE: Golston, Daniels, Carriker, Jarmon, Scott, Holliday, Haynesworth, Joseph, Duncan,

Need a starter opposite Carriker. If Jarmon is it, need depth. Daniels and Holliday are too old, Haynesworth is a nut, Golston is no good, should be traded to a 4-3 team.

NT: Bryant, Kemoeatu

If Bryant is the answer here, need depth. Competion.

OLB: Carter, Alexander, Jackson, Orakpo, Wilson

Need a Woodley type OLB opposite Orakpo. Alexander should only be for depth. Carter needs to be traded.

ILB: Fletcher, McIntosh, Riley, Blades, Henson

Need a WILB to replace McIntosh, Riley possible solution. Will need compitition for Riley and replacement depth for Fletch.

CB: Hall, Rogers, Buchanon, Barnes, Jones, Westbrook

Will need to replace Rogers if he is gone. Rest are no better than Nickel.

SS: Landry, Horton, Doughty, Harris

Set.

FS: Moore, Rashad, Russell, Barnes

Barnes played okay but lacks experience. Moore would be solid depth. Need true starter.

KR/PR: Banks

K - GaNOOOOOOOOOO!!!

P - Bidwell, Paulescu

LS - Sundberg - Whatever.

In summation, we need a starter at Wide Receiver, Left Guard, Center, Defensive End, OLB, WILB, Cornerback, Free Safety, Kicker, Punter.

We need starter competition at Right Guard, Nose Tackle, Running Back, Quarterback.

We need improved depth at WR, RB, QB, T, G, C, FB, DE, NT, OLB, ILB, CB, FS, SS

Haha, well I will go out on a limb and say Anthony Bryant "probably" won't be that rare journeyman who becomes NFL defensive player of the year.

I'm not a football expert, but I've heard a bunch of times that in the 3-4, NT is absolutely critical -- maybe even the most important position on the field.

If your NT gets pushed around and doesn't command double-teams, everything else falls apart.

If that's true, then I'm not going to settle for a guy who's started like 5 games in 5 years and has been cut by some really awful teams.

I know he looked okay in those last couple games for us, and if he's a "late bloomer" who turns into a good player, then GREAT. But I'm not putting my eggs in that basket.

The last couple of games, Bryant did very well. He wasn't getting pushed back into the secondary. Can the skins build around Bryant? Yes. That's not to say the skins shouldn't draft a NT. But going into next year, Bryant should be the starter. Watch the giants game again. The giants didn't have success around the ground.

---------- Post added January-18th-2011 at 11:15 AM ----------

I definitely think Bryant is. But we need someone besides Kemo to rotate him with. A 370 lb man gets tired after a while.

Phil Taylor, NT Baylor

Does anyone think we have a shot at Ryan Kalil?....would be a huge upgrade....I am sure it would be pricey....I believe he is a free agent and Carolina hasn't extended him a contract that I know of

We have a shot at anyone I think. I have to think he's on our radar. I also hope Mike and Kyle are aware of the need, which even Vinny tried to address when Jason Brown was available. I think Kory might get a shot too.

Offense:

WR: Moss, Armstrong, Austin, Banks, Kelly, Furrey, Williams

One proven WR, four with potential, two need upgrading. Unless Kelly steps up, will need the #1 receiver. May be first pick of draft.

RB: Torrain, Portis, Williams , Davis, McNeal, Brown, Simpson

No proven RBs, two with potential, four that need upgrading.

Need a change of pace/screen back. Portis should do well as a 3rd down back and depth for Torain.

OT: Brown, Williams, Heyer, Capers, Fulton, Oldenburg

Two quality tackles with Capers with potential. Look to be set at the Tackle spot for now. Will need quality depth and a replacement for Brown.

G: Williams, Montgomery, Hicks, Lichtensteiger, Dockery, Cook

Will Montgomery seems to be a player, may be better suited to replace Rabach. Would be nice to have Mike Williams back but with his size, may not be fluid enough to play in this offense. Hicks and Dockery need to go. Need one starter.

C: Rabach, Montgomery, Cook

If Montgomery slides here, will need two starters at guard. Rabach must go. Need depth.

FB: Sellers, Young

Need a new full back.

TE: Cooley, Davis, Paulsen

Set.

QB: McNabb, Grossman, Beck

Need young Franchise QB. Can get by with Grossman for a year.

Defense:

DE: Golston, Daniels, Carriker, Jarmon, Scott, Holliday, Haynesworth, Joseph, Duncan,

Need a starter opposite Carriker. If Jarmon is it, need depth. Daniels and Holliday are too old, Haynesworth is a nut, Golston is no good, should be traded to a 4-3 team.

NT: Bryant, Kemoeatu

If Bryant is the answer here, need depth. Competion.

OLB: Carter, Alexander, Jackson, Orakpo, Wilson

Need a Woodley type OLB opposite Orakpo. Alexander should only be for depth. Carter needs to be traded.

ILB: Fletcher, McIntosh, Riley, Blades, Henson

Need a WILB to replace McIntosh, Riley possible solution. Will need compitition for Riley and replacement depth for Fletch.

CB: Hall, Rogers, Buchanon, Barnes, Jones, Westbrook

Will need to replace Rogers if he is gone. Rest are no better than Nickel.

SS: Landry, Horton, Doughty, Harris

Set.

FS: Moore, Rashad, Russell, Barnes

Barnes played okay but lacks experience. Moore would be solid depth. Need true starter.

KR/PR: Banks

K - GaNOOOOOOOOOO!!!

P - Bidwell, Paulescu

LS - Sundberg - Whatever.

In summation, we need a starter at Wide Receiver, Left Guard, Center, Defensive End, OLB, WILB, Cornerback, Free Safety, Kicker, Punter.

We need starter competition at Right Guard, Nose Tackle, Running Back, Quarterback.

While I agree somewhat with the assessment, except that it is lacking in overall vision. Today's back ups are tomorrow's stars.

Armstrong, Bryant, Barnes, Jackson and Capers will be stars in this league.

We grow them from within, these days. Vinnie is no longer here to mess us up.

Clinton Portis will not be back. He will retire.

you are correct sir. that is the same exact conclusion I came to.

The harder part is putting them in order of priority, because it's obviously too much to address in 1 offseason. And you have to consider too.. if NT, FS, CB, and DE are priorties... those are all 1st or 2nd round picks for top talent.. of which we could only address 2 of the 4. We'd have to try to get the other 2 in FA.. but it will probably cost us as those are important positions.

If you look at the draft and who's available when... I think our first 2 picks have to be 1st round DE and 2nd round FS/NT.

While I agree somewhat with the assessment, except that it is lacking in overall vision. Today's back ups are tomorrow's stars.

Armstrong, Bryant, Jackson and Capers will be stars in this league.

I meant to label the italics as potential. They have potential and I'm not counting on them to "get it together". If they do, great, but that's a lot of optimism. At the end of the day, potential is all they have and haven't proven their ability consistently as the players in bold. Underlined players need not remember how to get to Redskins Park.

Armstrong, Bryant, Barnes, Jackson and Capers will be stars in this league.

Not every draft pick turns out man. What makes you think Capers will be a star? He very possibly may never even be servicable in the NFL. The other guys have their place.. but none of them are ever gonna be all world players.. They can all be decent players.. but those are positions where we need studs in this offense/defense. NT and WR.

you are correct sir. that is the same exact conclusion I came to.

The harder part is putting them in order of priority, because it's obviously too much to address in 1 offseason. And you have to consider too.. if NT, FS, CB, and DE are priorties... those are all 1st or 2nd round picks for top talent.. of which we could only address 2 of the 4. We'd have to try to get the other 2 in FA.. but it will probably cost us as those are important positions.

If you look at the draft and who's available when... I think our first 2 picks have to be 1st round DE and 2nd round FS/NT.

I think you have to look at it as who's on the roster?

No quality FS, SAM, Guard (or Center whatever Montgomery doesn't play). I think those three should be taken care of in FA.

I think players we must target in the draft are WR, CB, Dline. I don't want anything to do with FA Dlineman anymore (essentially diva positions). If we don't resign Rogers Cornerback becomes our #1 priority.

Banking on Jarmon and Bryant to fill in our needs for dline starters is risky. Bryant could do it but he'll need a backup. If Jarmon is it, excellent. We have depth. So in short, I think you have to use that 1st (if not on Mr. Franchise) on a WR or if one of those two CBs drop. I know that's crazy talk, but it seems the right thing to do. I know everyone likes Von Miller, but he's too much like a Will 3-4. We need a SAM 3-4 and fill comfortable picking one in FA.

I think you have to look at it as who's on the roster?

No quality FS, SAM, Guard (or Center whatever Montgomery doesn't play). I think those three should be taken care of in FA.

I think players we must target in the draft are WR, CB, Dline. I don't want anything to do with FA Dlineman anymore (essentially diva positions). If we don't resign Rogers Cornerback becomes our #1 priority.

Banking on Jarmon and Bryant to fill in our needs for dline starters is risky. Bryant could do it but he'll need a backup. If Jarmon is it, excellent. We have depth. So in short, I think you have to use that 1st (if not on Mr. Franchise) on a WR or if one of those two CBs drop. I know that's crazy talk, but it seems the right thing to do. I know everyone likes Von Miller, but he's too much like a Will 3-4. We need a SAM 3-4 and fill comfortable picking one in FA.

that's why you gotta look at the mock drafts.

DE is really going to be best player available to us at 10. The first 20 are pretty loaded with DE's and DE/OLB'ers.. there's a couple WR's and CB's in there. But none of them worthy of a 10 pick is likely to fall to us.

We'll probably be choosing between Von Miller, Kerrigan and JJ Watt with our first pick.

that's why you gotta look at the mock drafts.

DE is really going to be best player available to us at 10. The first 20 are pretty loaded with DE's and DE/OLB'ers.. there's a couple WR's and CB's in there. But none of them worthy of a 10 pick is likely to fall to us.

We'll probably be choosing between Von Miller, Kerrigan and JJ Watt with our first pick.

I know a JJ Watts isn't as sexy as a Jones, Locker, Newett, Prince... but if he grades out higher than the next receiver after AJ and both CBs are gone, I'm okay with going with a DE with #10.

I know a JJ Watts isn't as sexy as a Jones, Locker, Newett, Prince... but if he grades out higher than the next receiver after AJ and both CBs are gone, I'm okay with going with a DE with #10.

Julio Jones would be the 1 WR option at 10 (a slight reach?) and Brandon Harris at CB. But Brandon Harris is definitely a reach at 10.

the only other hope we would have for options is if Prince fell to us, but I doubt it.

JJ Watts is probably not a good fit for our defense. Von Miller is who I would guess we will pick if you forced me right now.

Archived