Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Walter Football latest mock has Blaine falling to #10

pram11

I watched everything I could find online, but there were a couple of workout videos that were more helpful than the game clips. I know he's considered a top prospect and a favorite of some of our more knowledgeable posters.

Oh you mean me right? ;) just kidding OF yes the workout videos of him in HS are actually very interesting to watch because coming out of HS he was rated as the top pro style QB and instead of going to a pro style system he stayed in state and went to Mizzou who runs a spread. Yes he will have issues at first with reading defenses but this guy has the mental make up to be a leader on your team and one that can thrive in this offense

Oh you mean me right? ;) just kidding OF yes the workout videos of him in HS are actually very interesting to watch because coming out of HS he was rated as the top pro style QB and instead of going to a pro style system he stayed in state and went to Mizzou who runs a spread. Yes he will have issues at first with reading defenses but this guy has the mental make up to be a leader on your team and one that can thrive in this offense
Just a guess... I don't think Mike Shanahan will take him even if he falls to #10. He doesn't remind me at all of Cutler or Elway who had similar skillsets.

Just a guess... I don't think Mike Shanahan will take him even if he falls to #10. He doesn't remind me at all of Cutler or Elway who had similar skillsets.

I think though he does in some respects because he's mobile and has a big arm. His throwing motion is probably the best in the class with maybe Locker beating him out on that. I almost wonder that if Gabbert isn't there we move back a little bit and take Locker who is very similar to Cutler in terms of skill set

I think though he does in some respects because he's mobile and has a big arm. His throwing motion is probably the best in the class with maybe Locker beating him out on that. I almost wonder that if Gabbert isn't there we move back a little bit and take Locker who is very similar to Cutler in terms of skill set

I don't know, D&S. I don't think Shanahan takes a chance of trading down in the 1st if Locker is there. I think he takes Locker at #10.

I don't know, D&S. I don't think Shanahan takes a chance of trading down in the 1st if Locker is there. I think he takes Locker at #10.

I could see it happening but who knows right now maybe they are confident Locker will be there but then again it goes back to the idea of you don't trade back for your franchise QB you take him where you are drafting at and don't look back

I could see it happening but who knows right now maybe they are confident Locker will be there but then again it goes back to the idea of you don't trade back for your franchise QB you take him where you are drafting at and don't look back

It's a crapshoot right now. As things play out and we get closer to the draft we will know more.

O LINE

O LINE

O LINE

O LINE

Every single pick

I've been yelling for a QB for 5 years now, but there is no candidate this year, now that Luck is out, to pick. Maybe one is a diamond in the rough, but none of them look like they are it. Sadly, Grossman is better than anyone available in the draft is going to be for us. Draft line and speed. We'll lose 12 games again next year and be in better position for Luck.

I've been yelling for a QB for 5 years now, but there is no candidate this year, now that Luck is out, to pick. Maybe one is a diamond in the rough, but none of them look like they are it. Sadly, Grossman is better than anyone available in the draft is going to be for us. Draft line and speed. We'll lose 12 games again next year and be in better position for Luck.

BIG IF but if the CBA goes through, then I think we spend money on holes that need to be filled during FA. With the draft, I think our record will be better than it was last year, JMO. I don't think we see a repeat of last year. Meaning that we grab our franchise QB this year beings that we are drafting with the #10 pick.

2 things here but there are 2 candidates for us Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert and also if we lose 12 games next year we still might not even have a chance at Luck we'd probably need 13 or 14 losses

2 things here but there are 2 candidates for us Jake Locker and Blaine Gabbert and also if we lose 12 games next year we still might not even have a chance at Luck we'd probably need 13 or 14 losses

agreed. i think its between locker and gabbert. and i doubt we lose anywhere near 13 games, unfortunately or furtunately depending on how you look at it. i think luck is sick. if it was close next year, i could actually see teams tanking it to get him.

agreed. i think its between locker and gabbert. and i doubt we lose anywhere near 13 games, unfortunately or furtunately depending on how you look at it. i think luck is sick. if it was close next year, i could actually see teams tanking it to get him.

Yeah he's a ridiculous prospect there's no doubt but Gabbert and Locker can equally be a franchise QB for us, maybe not a Peyton Manning type but one could be our Matt Ryan/ Jay Cutler type who is our franchise QB and is a stud for us

IDK if you think the QB you want will be there later then it makes sense to trade down then move back up if need be.

Look at the Browns and Colt McCoy.

IDK if you think the QB you want will be there later then it makes sense to trade down then move back up if need be.

Look at the Browns and Colt McCoy.

Oh I know I'm saying though if they think he'll be there then move back but also you have to wonder "okay who's potentially going to move up for him?" that also leads to wonder and then you might end up having to take him at 10

Oh I know I'm saying though if they think he'll be there then move back but also you have to wonder "okay who's potentially going to move up for him?" that also leads to wonder and then you might end up having to take him at 10

The key is to having a grasp on their evaluation of player vs other teams evaluation of the same player.

Teams that draft well know how to make moves like that happen.

(the Browns w/ McCoy was an extreme example)

But, you're right its very risky b/c so much can happen.

On your recommendation of Gabbert, I checked out the videos of him online. I wasn't impressed.

He's a good athlete, but not a really good one. The really good ones make everything they do look effortless. I didn't see that. I wanted to see a nice fluid motion in his delivery. Instead, it looked "mechanical."

Terrific velocity, which receivers love. But in one particular workout clip, almost every pass he threw wobbled. Those hard wobblers are tough to catch.

He's using the now-conventional approach to throw, the training that starts with one knee on the ground. I think the conventional approach is more likely to cause shoulder and elbow injuries than the approach Dan Marino's father taught Dan which starts with both knees on the ground. It's a more compact motion with less shoulder involvement.

Not trying to pass myself off as an expert... So, this is "for what it's worth."

Interesting. I think his throwing motion when in the pocket is really good. From the feet up, good base, nice step and weight transfer and a compact throwing motion with good wrist snap and shoulder rotation. His sound mechanics are why he is very accurate.

Now when he throws on the run I would agree with you, he does look more robotic in his motion and much less natural and I think that shows up in a relative lack of accuracy. He is still my pick of the top rated QBs - not without question marks and not someone who I think can start from day 1 (he is very young and I think would really benefit from a year holding a clipboard) but Ithink a good fit for our system and a guy who can be a really good NFL QB. I think he is the best bet of the Newton, Locker, Gabbert group.

I discount Mallet personaly because he does not have the athletic ability of the three above which I think Shanny wants and also because of the serious questions about his character and work ethic.

Based on my model, Blaine Gabbert has a good chance of being a productive NFL starter. By the model, he's the top-rated QB in the draft among 4 QBs touted for the first round (Gabbert, Newton, Mallett, Locker).

A majority of QBs rated ahead of Gabbert in the past 20 years, drafted in the first round, became franchise QBs or are currently on that path (Bradford, Freeman). 94% of QBs rated below him, busted. So, Gabbert is almost precisely on the fulcrum between bust and NFL starter / franchise QB.

I can't grade him as franchise QB with confidence, because he's at the very low end of that range. My franchise QB projection has an accuracy rate of 75% for the group, and my bust projection has an accuracy rate of 83%. Since Gabbert is on the extreme end of both groups, we should downgrade our confidence. His junior year was extremely strong, so that helps to improve confidence. Let's say the model has 80% confidence in Gabbert's sophomore score. Applying an 80% confidence factor, we can say that he has a 60% chance of being an NFL franchise QB and a 67% chance of not being a bust.

That description sounds like "productive NFL starter" as most probable projection, with a shot of being better, and a 1/3 chance of being a bust. I like those QBs later in the first round for better value. Picking at #10 is a reach, but reasonable if the team likes the player a lot. Based on QBs picked in the past 20 years in the first 32 picks, Gabbert is about 32rd percentile.

Pickng Gabbert at #10 isn't stupid (like I think Newton, Mallet or Locker would be), but it's hard to get very excited. I think the odds of Gabbert outperforming Grossman in the next 3 years are low. Grossman is more likely to be better in that period. Facing this choice, I would trade back and get the best C/G in the draft or BPA if that guy is gone. For BPA in general, I'd keep a close eye on C, G, FS, OLB, NT and WR for value picks in the first two rounds. However, I'm not sure that the Redskins know how to scout and grade for good value.

He's good I'll admit but with a 5th rounder we could get, Nevada QB, Colin Kaepernick...6'6"...225lbs...4.53 40 time. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/TSX/2011_QB

01/09/2011 - PLAYERS TO WATCH: QB Colin Kaepernick has enjoyed a stellar senior season in guiding Nevada to its highest-ever ranking in the AP poll and a 12-1 regular season. In the regular-season finale, Kaepernick tied the record for most rushing touchdowns by a quarterback set by former Nebraska star Eric Crouch. Kaepernick has 59 rushing touchdowns in his career, passing former Boise State star Ian Johnson for the most all-time in the WAC. Kaepernick is the only player in college football history to pass for at least 9,000 yards and rush for 4,000 in his career. - The Sports Xchange

O LINE

O LINE

O LINE

O LINE

Every single pick

Nah, we've got a LT. We need to find the gems at the other spots, but we need to fill in the positions like WR, NT and QB as well as O-Line.

---------- Post added January-15th-2011 at 03:35 PM ----------

On your recommendation of Gabbert, I checked out the videos of him online. I wasn't impressed.

He's a good athlete, but not a really good one. The really good ones make everything they do look effortless. I didn't see that. I wanted to see a nice fluid motion in his delivery. Instead, it looked "mechanical."

Terrific velocity, which receivers love. But in one particular workout clip, almost every pass he threw wobbled. Those hard wobblers are tough to catch.

He's using the now-conventional approach to throw, the training that starts with one knee on the ground. I think the conventional approach is more likely to cause shoulder and elbow injuries than the approach Dan Marino's father taught Dan which starts with both knees on the ground. It's a more compact motion with less shoulder involvement.

Not trying to pass myself off as an expert... So, this is "for what it's worth."

Interesting. Do you think that his delivery could be "changed" like Campbell's was, or do you just think this is too early to pick him?

With no real quality Oline players to pick at #10 I hope they find a quality Dline player and pick up a Interior lineman with the 2nd pick.

I don't mind a QB drafted at either position if the FO concludes that player is worth the risk at that pick.

Still a longgggggggggggg way to go before the draft. Have to see how things shake out some more as we learn more about the players and hopefully see some more evaluations to include the combine/school workouts.

I like Locker, but a lot of time and effort needs to be made by our FO to determine if he can translate to the next level. He does have some question marks.

Please no pick at 10.

Trade down if at all possible and acquire more picks to address more holes.

We can find a QB to groom later in this draft. :)

So, from your sig, I'm assuming you believe we will be able to get Locker later on in the 1st? Where do you think he'll go.

I'm all for trading down and picking up a QB in the first still, I'd also like to get Jerrell Powe (NT) in the 2nd.

I really hope not, I would rather move back and pick an Oline, or Dline

Move back and take Paea or Allen Bailey, maybe Stefen Wisniewski

I don't know where all this blaine hype came from. Right after that bowl game everyone started to put him in there mocks. Before that you would hardly see the guy out of the second round.

Hype machine and big arm qbs, it happens every year.

Blaine Gabbert is a glorified game manager. I can't wait to see him behind our oline

None of the qbs are worth a top 10 pick.

I really hope not, I would rather move back and pick an Oline, or Dline

Move back and take Paea or Allen Bailey, maybe Stefen Wisniewski

I don't know where all this blaine hype came from. Right after that bowl game everyone started to put him in there mocks. Before that you would hardly see the guy out of the second round.

Hype machine and big arm qbs, it happens every year.

Blaine Gabbert is a glorified game manager. I can't wait to see him behind our oline

None of the qbs are worth a top 10 pick.

Seems that way to me too. Living in St. Louis, I still have yet to talk to a single Missouri fan that isn't happy Blaine Gabbert is gone, not that fans opinions mean much, but that's a strong reaction to a guy that is supposedly the top QB in the draft.

I'm always wary of guys that suddenly become big prospects overnight (whether from a bowl game or the combine). I'd feel much better if there were several QBs who were big prospects the entire year (who performed to expectations or better). Doesn't seem there are any.

Archived