Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SG: Redskins May Need A Nose Tackle More Than They Need A QB

SMOSS89

Kind of makes you wonder why Haynesworth wasn't able to play a similar role with Rak rushing on his side.

Probably cause he would rather rest and complain about his lack of playing time.

IMO I think ILB is a more need position than NT.

How is it a need position when the guy there is still playing at a high level? You should think about the future, but NT is an immediate need (I'm referring to Fletcher here, but I would put NT ahead of replacing Rocky as well if they don't think Bryant is the answer). I think a solid OLB would have a bigger impact than a ILB on the defense too, but what do I know.

Just out of curiosity...do you really think the offensive line (and that side of the ball in general) is in such good shape that we shouldn't draft any offensive players until the 5th round? or am I misreading your post?

we need gaurds and a center. But i don't think they'll address center.

so i think we'll get a gaurd and maybe a back up LT in FA and re-address that next year.

as much as people have screamed about OL... the defense is in far worse shape after Andre, Rocky, Blades and Haynesworth are all gone.

Anthony Bryant not only has the size and strength, but he's also agile for a big guy. He's a legitimate starting NT. He was out with an injury most of the 2010 season which is why he wasn't noticed as much.

Exactly. He was easily our most impressive DL during preseason, and then was injured most of the season...our entire defense looked better the last few games that he actually played.

I agree, that it the biggest priority right now outside of receiver. It would be great if the coaching staff thought that bryant would be the guy so we could use our picks elsewhere. I thought bryant held his own over the last 5 or 6 games of the season, but he doesn't dominate at the level of raji (packers) but he is alot better than maake.

To say that we need a NT over a QB to me is foolish. We need a franchise QB, plain and simply.

And, it doesn't matter what round you find said franchise QB, just get one. Plenty of time to then find a NT.

there are no franchise QB's in this draft.

Peyton and Hasselbeck may be available in FA.. but those are the best options besides Grossman for next year.

So the defense, specifically LB and NT (the most important positions in a 3-4) must be addressed.

1st round - Blaine Gabbert, Robert Quinn, Blackmon

2nd round - Hudson, Wisniewski

3rd round (Haynesworth or Mcnabb trade)- Sione Fua (NT out of stanford)

Sione could be a legitimate starter at NT while Bryant is our backup. This of course meaning that we didnt get Paul Soliai or Aubrayo Franklin out of FA

Always a bit of a risk trying to draft a 3-4 NT, since College game is different than NFL - difficult to project whether success can occur. Also, I understood that a quality NTs takes some time to develop, so perhaps this is a position better filled through free agency, or developing Bryant.

If thats what the team decides to do then I'm cool with it.

1st round- NT

2nd round- OL (Center or RT)

Hopefully we can get a third round draft pick from somewhere or package the 4th with one of our 6th or 7th round picks to move up and draft QB Andy Dalton.

But I'm really getting the feeling that doesn't happen. More like we draft a QB at #1, a NT at #2, and simply finish out the draft. Maybe this would be a good year to drop out of the #10 spot for more picks.

In the perfect world I'd say it all depends on what the team does in FA. They get a NT then obviously there is no need to draft one. I doubt we look to FA for a QB unless one is available that either Shanahan has worked with before cause other wise we are in the same boat as McNabb with a QB having to learn the scheme and play calls in a short period of time which didn't work out well this yr.

I suspect we draft one somewhere and let Grossman run the team next yr while the drafted QB and Beck learn the scheme better.

Bryant will be an uknown moving into next year. Sure he showed a little to end the year. In the words of Benny Hill, big.... deal. He should have gotten a lot more reps this year. Kemo was horrible yet kept his job until the season was over.

Book on us bringing in a stud NT and then going back to the 4-3.

I don't agree with this at all, if you're strictly talking 1st round. One, because there's really only a single NT prospect that is worthy of a first round pick, and 10 would be too high....and two, because Bryant has showed some life, while QB is the most important position on the team.

If there's a QB you love available, you take him every time. If there isn't, then yes, you take the BPA in the first round...and that's not likely to be a NT at #10.

Now, after the 1st round, if there's a NT prospect we love that is good value, I'm all for it.

I'll use this post as an example, but there is a difference between need and availability. This is a good example. It might very well be that NT is a greater need than QB, but that doesn't mean that you draft a NT if the QB prospects are better and that is also a need. You take what the draft gives you and you don't draft strictly on need.

As for Bryant, he's shown some things here and there, but he's the only NT on the team right now. We need another guy to push Bryant.

I'll use this post as an example, but there is a difference between need and availability. This is a good example. It might very well be that NT is a greater need than QB, but that doesn't mean that you draft a NT if the QB prospects are better and that is also a need. You take what the draft gives you and you don't draft strictly on need.

As for Bryant, he's shown some things here and there, but he's the only NT on the team right now. We need another guy to push Bryant.

Or trade down and acquire picks if our QB is gone and there is nobody we like that would be deserving of the #10 pick.... there is so much talent in this draft that the 2nd and 3rd rounds could be legitimate first rounders if they would have gone back for the next season. The top NT's will be 2nd and 3rd rounders

Peyton and Hasselbeck may be available in FA.. .

No, Peyton will not be "available" to anyone in FA.

Hasselbeck is old and busted. I don't care what 1 playoff game says, the man has had back problems for years. I'd much rather go with Rex for another year than waste time with Hasselbeck

I think it's funny regarding everyones perspective. I'm not bashing anyones in particular just saying it's funny to hear all the different oppinions. As an example, I have said we should draft a Center in round 1 or drop back for more picks and draft a Center or RT. However if there are none worthy of picking in the 1st round then perhaps picking up a NT would be best.

Someone else says; "you don't pick OL in the 1st round unless they are LT's. Other OL positions usually are not drafted that high and you can get a good one in the 2nd round on."

Someone else says; "NT's are easy to come by and we should look for one after the 1st round. Pick up a QB in the 1st round."

Someone else says; "You need to take a stud LB/DE in the 1st round, because all the other positions would be reaching for the 1st round."

Basically my point is.... it seems each and everyone has a different oppinion as to who should be drafted with the #1 pick and for whatever reason they think all the other positions should not be drafted in the 1st round cause it's too high for them and you can usually find a stud at the other positions in mid to late rounds. lol.

However we all can agree we need: OL, NT, LB/DE, CB, FS, WR, and now QB. Not in any particular order. Plus it all depends on who we can pick up during FA.

I think it's funny regarding everyones perspective. I'm not bashing anyones in particular just saying it's funny to hear all the different oppinions. As an example, I have said we should draft a Center in round 1 or drop back for more picks and draft a Center or RT. However if there are none worthy of picking in the 1st round then perhaps picking up a NT would be best.

Someone else says; "you don't pick OL in the 1st round unless they are LT's. Other OL positions usually are not drafted that high and you can get a good one in the 2nd round on."

Someone else says; "NT's are easy to come by and we should look for one after the 1st round. Pick up a QB in the 1st round."

Someone else says; "You need to take a stud LB/DE in the 1st round, because all the other positions would be reaching for the 1st round."

Basically my point is.... it seems each and everyone has a different oppinion as to who should be drafted with the #1 pick and for whatever reason they think all the other positions should not be drafted in the 1st round cause it's too high for them and you can usually find a stud at the other positions in mid to late rounds. lol.

However we all can agree we need: OL, NT, LB/DE, CB, FS, WR, and now QB. Not in any particular order. Plus it all depends on who we can pick up during FA.

Dude, we all know that we need a TE in the first round!

Archived