Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SG: Redskins May Need A Nose Tackle More Than They Need A QB

SMOSS89

With the 2010 season now over, there will be plenty of analysis going forward about the Redskins needs, how they will attack free agency, and what they will want to do in the draft. While many inside Ashburn think they need to draft a franchise quarterback this year, I would argue drafting a stud nose tackle could be more important right now. Although drafting the future QB is certainly a priority, the Redskins may run the risk of taking a chance on a project QB who isn't a sure thing (and this draft is littered with those types).

Let's face the facts. The Redskins defense stunk this year. They had their moments when they were able to get a few stops, get some key turnovers, and apply some pressure on the QB. But for the most part, they were gashed. And there's no debate that the area that they were hurting this most this year in the trenches. As a fan watching, it felt like opposing running backs were getting nearly 4 to 5 yards a pop against the Redskins, with the defensive line getting pushed around with relative ease.

They say the 3-4 defense is predicated on having an effective nose tackle. Well, the Redskins have run the scheme for a full season and they still have not found an adequate nose tackle on their roster. Yes, some of the backup nose tackles such as Anthony Bryant were effective in spots, but that position was one where the opposition dominated. Plain and simple, the Redskins NEED to upgrade here. The entire defensive scheme is compromised if you don't have a stud up front.

Click HERE to see the rest of the post.

I hope they pick someone up in FA because I don't know of anyone in the draft that will be able to immediately step in and fill that role. Some of our draft gurus might know of someone, but I'd be happy with one of several FAs (Frank Soliai being my #1 FA) in a rotation with Anthony Bryant.

It would solidify the entire front 7.

I don't agree with this at all, if you're strictly talking 1st round. One, because there's really only a single NT prospect that is worthy of a first round pick, and 10 would be too high....and two, because Bryant has showed some life, while QB is the most important position on the team.

If there's a QB you love available, you take him every time. If there isn't, then yes, you take the BPA in the first round...and that's not likely to be a NT at #10.

Now, after the 1st round, if there's a NT prospect we love that is good value, I'm all for it.

Probably two of the most important positions on either side of the ball. My gut says that the Redskins should go NT here. With exceptions here and there, a top 10 defensive lineman selection is a very nice commodity to have. Quarterback gems can be found later in the draft.

As much as I hate to say it, I can deal with a year of Rex Grossman if it means getting our defense back on track.

I don't agree with this at all, if you're strictly talking 1st round. One, because there's really only a single NT prospect that is worthy of a first round pick, and 10 would be too high....and two, because Bryant has showed some life, while QB is the most important position on the team.

If there's a QB you love available, you take him every time. If there isn't, then yes, you take the BPA in the first round...and that's not likely to be a NT at #10.

Now, after the 1st round, if there's a NT prospect we love that is good value, I'm all for it.

I just want them to draft a nose tackle, doesn't matter which round.

Everyone's talking about QB, QB, QB, for the Redskins in the offseason, but there are important needs on the defensive side that must be addressed as well. Nose is one of them.

I think this is flawed:

1. When you've identified your franchise QB, and he is available to you, you MUST take him. No matter what!

2. Even if we really did have a desire to select a NT with the first pick, where is he? Where is the NT in the first round worth taking this year?

---------- Post added January-10th-2011 at 06:51 PM ----------

:ols:, can't believe we practically posted the samething....:)

NT is important, I completely agree, however I actually believe it's MORE important for them to upgrade at linebacker. Plain and simple the 3-4 adds another linebacker to the field, and this season we only had 3 worthy starters on the roster. Rocky Mac looked awful in the new scheme, Andre Carter proved once again he cannot play outside LB, and as much as I like Lorenzo Alexander he was exposed on the outside as well.

If you look at every great 3-4, they have ELITE linebackers. Pitt has Harrison, Woodley, Timmons, and Farrior. Bmore has McClain, Suggs, Lewis. Jets with Thomas, Scott, Harris, and Pace. Packers have Hawk and Matthews.

I will readily admit you need a good d-line to make these guys effective, however I think our d-line is actually in better shape than our linebackers. 2 starters, Orakpo and Fletcher, that's it .. that is all we have. In a scheme that demands elite, you can NOT get away with having 2 out of the 4 pieces. I'm sticking with my dream plan of getting Woodley and Harris from the Jets, Bethea from Indy, and Hoke at NT from Pitt.

That being said, I'm not saying they don't need a QB. They do as well. I'm just saying don't draft a QB just for the sake of drafting a QB. He has to be the right guy. Same goes for any position really.

But if they won't go QB, or go QB in the 2nd round, taking a look at getting stronger up front on defense wouldn't be a bad idea.

:ols:, can't believe we practically posted the samething....:)

That's pretty funny :ols:

---------- Post added January-10th-2011 at 06:10 PM ----------

That being said, I'm not saying they don't need a QB. They do as well. I'm just saying don't draft a QB just for the sake of drafting a QB. He has to be the right guy. Same goes for any position really.

But if they won't go QB, or go QB in the 2nd round, taking a look at getting stronger up front on defense wouldn't be a bad idea.

Very true. At the same time, you don't draft a NT just for the sake of drafting a NT ;)

Its a need I hope they address in the FA period. Of course, if that happens after the draft, that changes things.

But right now, I'd be very comfortable with a Solaia/Bryant combo at the nose.

I think he's had some attitude type problems in Miami. I don't know if that would make Bruce or Mike gun shy. I'd be happy with Paul though.

Brandon Membane i'm certain could be a great NT for us. I doubt Seattle lets him go though.

if they have talks with him and he seems like a head case, then maybe we back off. but if it was bad enough we'd have heard about it by now. nothing wrong with a little attitude as long as there is production on the field.

We def need a NT. I wanted us to draft Raji that year but he was gone before our pick. Bryant is good but we need elite. That Fairley kid from Auburn is a beast. He may be a lil small to be a NT though im not sure

He'd be a defensive end in the 3-4. Too much height and not enough bulk to be a good NT.

Where are NTs usually taken in the draft?

It's extremely rare for one to go in the top 10. Most of the highly graded prospects for the position (e.g., Wilfork, Hampton, and Ngata) seem to go somewhere between 12th and 25th overall. A decent chunk of the league's starting NTs (Ratliff, Franklin, Soliai, Puha, Rubin, Garay, etc.) were actually mid-to-late round picks, though. Dan Williams was the first NT off the board last year at 26.

Archived