Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: "Ed Reed's brother missing after jump"

Reic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6001561

The 29-year-old brother of Ravens safety Ed Reed is missing after jumping into the Mississippi River in Louisiana, several media outlets are reporting.

Officers from the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office had been pursuing Brian Reed, 29, in St. Rose, La., on Friday, WWLTV.com in New Orleans reported. The man was seen jumping into the river at about 10 a.m.

Deputies say they saw Brian Reed jump into the river, go underwater and disappear, the website reported.

"The suspect jumped into the river, went about 15 feet according to the deputy," Sgt. Dwayne LaGrange, a spokesman for the St. Charles Parish Sheriff's Office, told WWLTV.com. "At some particular point they said he did witness hands and head come up and go under the water and never resurface again."

Brian Reed had been involved in a chase with police, WWLTV.com reported. Brian Reed's car matched the description of a vehicle that almost ran another driver off the road.

Ed Reed and the Ravens are scheduled to play the Chiefs Sunday in Kansas City.

Ravens coach John Harbaugh spoke briefly about Reed during a Friday night teleconference that had been scheduled to discuss the hiring of his brother Jim as coach of the San Francisco 49ers, the Baltimore Sun reported.

"We've been in contact as an organization," John Harbaugh told the Sun. "All I want to say is, our thoughts and prayers are with the Reed family at this difficult time. We're just praying for them. I love Ed Reed, I know he's fighting something now and hopefully it'll turn out OK."

As much as it is bad to run from the cops, drowning is considered one of the worst ways to die, hopefully he is alright.

Man, this news could not have come at the worse possible time.

Unless he's found and in the hospital, I think Reed might play. It's a horrible thing to have happen, but playing is the best way to get your mind off of a tragedy, and since there's nothing Ed can really do about it, he doesn't seem like a guy who would just sit and dwell on something like that.

If he survived the initial impact, and didn't take in any water through the lungs, I doubt that he would've survived in the water beyond an hour at most. Those are some seriously cold water temps. Sad story.

I heard somewhere that in 40 degree temps the body lasts about 30-35 minutes before the core temp drops to about 85 or so.

I heard somewhere that in 40 degree temps the body lasts about 30-35 minutes before the core temp drops to about 85 or so.

Water temperature: 32.5 to 40 degrees

Time until exhaustion or unconsciousness: 15 to 30 minutes

Expected time of survival in the water: 30 to 90 minutes

Water temperature: 40 to 50 degrees

Time until exhaustion or unconsciousness: 30 to 60 minutes

Expected time of survival in the water: 1 to 3 hours

I wonder if he knows how to swim. According to the quote he was seen jumping, going under obviously, coming up once and then never resurfacing. He might have swallowed a bunch of water after he dove in. Horrible news but running from the cops is never smart.

Why the hell would you run a) from the cops for a driving infraction/road rage incident to begin with, and then B) jump in the goddamn Mississippi River in the winter to get away? Your brother is Ed Reed. Get a lawyer.

Death is death though. I hope he's just hiding out somewhere but I doubt it at this point. Feel horrible for his family.

Super sad story, he should not have jumped in the

Mississippi river in January. Ugghh hope they can

atleast find the body to get the" whatif" out of your head.

Always respected you Ed reed, and you further proved it to

me last Sunday . Drugs had to be involved, noone connected

to Ed reed would of thought that was a rational decision. No

matter the crime

That being said go steelers!!!

And to add to the temperatures of the Mississippi River, the other danger is the current. I lived in Memphis and learned alot about the River. It can drag you under in a heartbeat and not let you up. One of the strongest undertows around. Add in the silt (sand and dirt) and it's near impossible to see anything under the water. If he didn't wash up on shore by now, he's gone. His body may float back up sometime miles down the river.

And to add to the temperatures of the Mississippi River, the other danger is the current. I lived in Memphis and learned alot about the River. It can drag you under in a heartbeat and not let you up. One of the strongest undertows around. Add in the silt (sand and dirt) and it's near impossible to see anything under the water. If he didn't wash up on shore by now, he's gone. His body may float back up sometime miles down the river.[/QUOTe

very intresting facts there,i wanna do some research, just to find out more about the currents or undertows

Archived