Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Houstontexans.com: Texans hire Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator

21MadFan

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/article-3/Texans-hire-Wade-Phillips-as-defensive-coordinator/1eca9d2f-1d85-4aaf-b6d1-84004718eef9

The Texans have hired NFL coaching veteran and Orange, Texas, native Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator, the team announced today.

Phillips brings 35 years of coaching experience with him to the Texans, including the last 29 years spent as a defensive coordinator or head coach. In that time, Phillips has helped orchestrate 12 top-10 defensive performances and has helped lead teams to 11 playoff appearances, all of which have come since 1988. He has reached the playoffs in the first season with each of the last seven teams he has taken over as head coach or defensive coordinator.

4-3 defense and they're going to switch immediately to a 3-4 equals the same defense as last year. Kubiak is hoping for a quick turnaround with Wade, but it won't happen in one season.

Someone just mentioned it, Mario Williams is strictly a 4-3 end, while there will be questions/problems with Okoye also being a 3-4 DL; that's 2 fairly recent top 10 picks that they will have to figure if they need to switch them to fit into the 3-4 or move them to another team

yeah i saw this and was very confused. their 3 best players on D are Ryans, Williams, and Okoye, and NONE of them are 3-4 compatible. no friggin idea what theyre going to do with those 3 dudes, considering theyre all young, very good, and are soon going to be out of place on their D. poor texans.

I see Okoye and Williams as square pegs in round holes by why do you say Ryans would not be 3-4 compatible? He seems to be a prototypical 4-3 MLB but I don't see any reason he couldn't play ILB. He's the same size or larger than Fletcher, Willis, or Ray Lewis so that shouldn't be an issue. Cushing would also kick inside.

They have Jarvis Green and Antonio Smith both of which played in a 3-4 the majority of their careers as DE's. Mark Anderson can be moved out to OLB but he may have similar struggles to Andre Carter as a career 4-3 end. Okoye could probably be okay as an end or he could be traded as they already have two starting quality players at those positions. Mario Williams will likely have to lose a little weight and play the Demarcus Ware role or fetch a bounty of draft picks. I'd imagine he would demand similar compensation as Jared Allen a few seasons back only he doesn't carry the DUI history. Connor Barwin could play the other OLB spot. He'll need to gain a few pounds but as a former TE/DE he should have the athleticism for it.

The only issues I see are at NT and the secondary which was already a problem. If Williams can be a factor at OLB I'd venture to say the 3-4 is actually a better fit.

Interesting player tidbit on the 3-4 change. Barwin is 6'4" 255 and was their 2009 2nd round pick. He went on the IR after dislocating ankle the 2nd week of the season.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

John McClain of the Houston Chronicle predicts that Connor Barwin will be a starting rush-outside linebacker in the Texans' new 3-4.

McClain expects Barwin to be bookended by Brian Cushing, who can run, hit, and cover and projects as a strong-side, outside 'backer. Barwin will have to face competition, but if he wins will be counted on for the bulk of pass-rushing duties. Pegged by many as a future 3-4 rush linebacker coming out of Cincinnati in 2009, Barwin is a good fit for the role. At least on paper.

Source: John McClain on Twitter

---------- Post added January-6th-2011 at 08:41 AM ----------

McClain Tweeted this on December 31st:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5267

The Texans will implement a 3-4 defense if they hire Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator, as expected.

It's a major adjustment, and one that will require the Texans to pursue a true 3-4 nose tackle. At 6'6/295, Mario Williams will probably stay at defensive end. John McClain of the Houston Chronicle notes that Bruce Smith had 65 sacks in six seasons under Phillips in Buffalo, including a high of 13.5 and never fewer than seven. The Texans' top 3-4 outside linebacker candidate would be Connor Barwin. SLB Brian Cushing would kick inside.

Source: John McClain on Twitter

Number 1...this is good for Houston. Say what you will about Wade, but he knows a lot about running a defense, and has a great body of work for it. I think it is just what Houston needs. I honestly think they will be a playoff team next year because of it. Number 2....If Wade wants to keep the 4-3 scheme in Houston, as his BASE D..... he will. Wade is more then capable of coaching in the NFL, no matter what system that is in place for the teams "base" D. Fans get way too caught up in the 3-4 vs 4-3 and what system coaches like and dislike.........its crazy for any of us to think that an NFL coach with the track record of Wade Phillips would be incapable of running a defenses based on it being a 4-3 BASE D.

Fans get nuts about this 3-4 VS 4-3 thing, but truth be told, in the NFL coaches view all defenses through the same pair of glasses, and all base Defenses are a 7 man front. No matter which way its spelled out, its a 7 man front....

At 6'6" and 295 lbs they'll try him at DE

Frank Bush

I bet they play him all over the place. Phillips defense is a one-gap defense so wherever they put Williams he can still be very disruptive. In passing situations if they were to put him at OLB and have him walk around only to rush off the edge they could probably get him singled up on a back or tight end quite often.

Archived