Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Hokies are the Philadelphia Eagles of College Football

Big Weirdo

They always come up small when it counts. It's too bad. I was really rooting for them because I have friends and family who have all gone to Tech.

I heard some stat driving into school about this being their 25th straight loss to a top 5 team on the road or something to that effect. Is Beamer in hot water? Or does he get to leave whenever he wants.

On a side note Andrew Luck looks really good.

VT just isn't built to compete at the highest levels. They're built to be a very good team. Excellent even. But this whole Top 5 losing streak says something about their overall style.

Stinespring is usually the scapegoat but he's not the only problem.

Foster's defenses are usually too small to square up against elite offenses and o-lines (LSU, Alabama, Stanford) and VT doesn't lock up their recruiting base entirely (Harvin, EJ Manuel, probably Curtis Grant this year unless they pull a shocker, and that's not to say they don't get most of their local talent, but they need all of it plus some more national talent from the Carolinas).

At some point, you have to begin looking at the "Beamer Ball" strategy and the overall design of the program. Is this VT's ceiling under Frank, and if it is, when do the VT big money boosters and the fanbase decide they've gone far enough down this road?

It seemed like every Stanford player was bigger, faster, and stronger than their VT counterparts. I give VT credit for hanging in there, but I wish they would've repd the ACC a little better. Stanford's offensive coaching was money. They knew exactly what formations would give VT problems. If you have a month to prepare that should be expected though.

I ain't complaining

VT still dominates the ACC year after year

An off year for VT is 9 wins :ols: Compare that with what other teams like Florida get, 7-5 and all the Brantley drama

If I was a Tech fan I wouldn't be making fun of a program such as Florida. Yes, they had a down season this year; however, Tech would be lucky to go 7-5 in the SEC (in a good year), and an off year for Tech in the SEC would be under .500. The only reason Tech can have an offseason and win 9 games is because they play in the ACC.

I ain't complaining

An off year for VT is 9 wins :ols: Compare that with what other teams like Florida get, 7-5 and all the Brantley drama

If I was a Tech fan I wouldn't be making fun of a program such as Florida. Yes, they had a down season this year; however, Tech would be lucky to go 7-5 in the SEC (in a good year), and an off year for Tech in the SEC would be under .500. The only reason Tech can have an offseason and win 9 games is because they play in the ACC.

Not to mention Florida's THREE national championship trophies sitting in their athletic complex.

Here is my question: If you are a Hokies' fan' date=' was that a successful season? You win the ACC. But the defining moments of the year are probably the JMU loss and the Stanford blow-out.

Strange season.[/quote']

My opinion would be that you'd have to consider an ACC championship (undefeated in fact) and BCS bowl berth a success.

The one thing I'll give my Tech friends credit for is that they don't act like they are champions of the world and they knowingly admit that they have been terrible in the big game the last several years. Don't know if that holds true for all Tech fans, but I actually felt bad for my friends after I saw the score.

I ain't complaining

1- UF is in a whole different league as a program than VT. So I wouldn't make that comparison.

2- VT's dominance of the ACC ends next year. It's past time that the ACC starting sending a champion that could win big games.

1- UF is in a whole different league as a program than VT. So I wouldn't make that comparison.

2- VT's dominance of the ACC ends next year. It's past time that the ACC starting sending a champion that could win big games.

lol do you have time machine that will let you round up the gang and pull Weinke out of the old people home, and get to the department store and tell Warrick to put back those stolen jeans??? FSU hasn't been in the same lg as a program as VT for a decade, and you want to say they are going to dominate everyone next year and beat some out of conference opponent for a championship?

in the words of your former warden, no dagum way.

People also have to keep in mind that VT is essentially a regional team (with a lot of VA kids) that competes against more national programs. Now, that's certainly something you could knock Beamer for...but I also think it's kind of cool that a "local" school is the class of the ACC almost every, single year and puts up some decent fights against highly-ranked teams.

They always come up small when it counts. It's too bad. I was really rooting for them because I have friends and family who have all gone to Tech.

I heard some stat driving into school about this being their 25th straight loss to a top 5 team on the road or something to that effect. Is Beamer in hot water? Or does he get to leave whenever he wants.

On a side note Andrew Luck looks really good.

it's not that they choke, it's that they are always overrated because they are always #1 or #2 in a ****ty BCS conference (Big East and ACC) everyone has to give lip service to (because if a conference has an automatic qualifier then surely at least one of their teams could hold its own in a BCS :rolleyes: )

With the talent they have, they really do an amazing job though, it's not like they get the best recruiting classes... often times minor teams like UVa get better recruiting classes, so in that sense they over perform as well.

lol do you have time machine that will let you round up the gang and pull Weinke out of the old people home, and get to the department store and tell Warrick to put back those stolen jeans??? FSU hasn't been in the same lg as a program as VT for a decade, and you want to say they are going to dominate everyone next year and beat some out of conference opponent for a championship?

in the words of your former warden, no dagum way.

Drew_Fl everyone. He'll be here all week.

Keep making Bobby Bowden jokes if you want. They will serve you well when you realize that FSU took the last decade off because they kept Bobby around, and now that he's been replaced with a competent HC who follows Saban's model of program building, things are drastically different in Tallahassee compared to how they've been in recent years.

FSU has an excellent shot at pulling in the #1 recruiting class in the country this year (and possibly their best class in at least a decade) and has 6 commits playing tonight in the Under Armour All American game and will likely finish this class with 13 or 14 of the ESPN150 recruits, more than any other program in the country.

FSU's problem over the years hasn't been talent- it's been terrible coaching, conditioning, and player development with the high school talent they've had.

Meanwhile, the book is out on VT. Bud Foster's "lunch pail" defense peaked in 06 and 07 when he was still considered a truly "hot" DC coordinator and his style of defense featuring small front 7's is not going to beat heavy o-lines with depth, and VT's o-line is too small and weak to stack up against athletic, large fronts, regardless of Stinespring's play calling.

I think VT will be an excellent program for as long as they want, the way they're currently built. But that's their ceiling. They don't have access to the amount of talent needed to take the next step and they don't have the coaching or conditioning either.

EJ Manuel is good

And the Hokies just keep on reeling talent, they are a talent factory

Tyrod will just be replaced by the next big Hampton Roads thing

The next big Hampton Roads thing?

That's EJ Manuel.

Archived