Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

S.B. Nation, Kansas City- "2011 NFL Draft Order: Who Needs QB Blaine Gabbert?". (Mentions Redskins/McNabb) http://kansascity.sbnation.com

bishtw

http://kansascity.sbnation.com/missouri-tigers/2011/1/3/1910669/2011-nfl-draft-order-blaine-gabbert-redskins

2011 NFL Draft Order: Who Needs QB Blaine Gabbert?

by Joel Thorman

The interesting part of the 2011 NFL draft order is complete -- the non-playoff team part. We know the top 20 in the 2011 NFL draft order but the NFL playoff picture will decide how No. 21-32 round out. But we do know that the Carolina Panthers have the top pick in the draft while the Denver Broncos and Buffalo Bills follow them. The top five is rounded out by the Cincinnati Bengals and Arizona Cardinals.

Missouri Tigers QB Blaine Gabbert has been called a first round pick, if he decides to leave Mizzou early, and some analysts even have him as the second ranked quarterback behind Standford QB Andrew Luck. So where will Gabbert go? I'm having trouble finding many teams at the top that need a quarterback.

The Panthers recently drafted Jimmy Clausen and would take Luck first. The Broncos invested a first round pick in Tim Tebow. Ryan Fitzpatrick had a solid year in Buffalo and even got some Pro Bowl votes. The Bengals still have Carson Palmer and Arizona has John Skelton and Max Hall, while Cleveland invested a third round pick in Colt McCoy. The 49ers are certainly looking for a quarterback and it's possible the Titans are, too. The Cowboys aren't looking for a quarterback but the Redskins are.

The Redskins would be the perfect scenario for Blaine Gabbert. He would be going to Mike Shanahan, who has done a solid job with quarterbacks in his day, and with Donovan McNabb likely leaving there wouldn't be much competition for him.

Of course a million things change between now and the 2011 NFL draft in April. There's the all-star games, the combine, interviews and workouts with the teams, free agency and all sorts of things that will make a player rise a round or two or drop a round or two.

Here's the NFL draft order as we know it:

1. Carolina (2-14)

2. Denver (4-12)

3. Buffalo (4-12)

4. Cincinnati (4-12)

5. Arizona (5-11)

6. Cleveland (5-11)

7. San Francisco (6-10)

8. Tennessee (6-10)

9. Dallas (6-10)

10. Washington (6-10)

Click Link at top for the rest of the article.

Missouri Tigers QB Blaine Gabbert has been called a first round pick, if he decides to leave Mizzou early, and some analysts even have him as the second ranked quarterback behind Standford QB Andrew Luck. So where will Gabbert go? I'm having trouble finding many teams at the top that need a quarterback.

The Panthers recently drafted Jimmy Clausen and would take Luck first. The Broncos invested a first round pick in Tim Tebow. Ryan Fitzpatrick had a solid year in Buffalo and even got some Pro Bowl votes. The Bengals still have Carson Palmer and Arizona has John Skelton and Max Hall, while Cleveland invested a third round pick in Colt McCoy. The 49ers are certainly looking for a quarterback and it's possible the Titans are, too. The Cowboys aren't looking for a quarterback but the Redskins are.

All those teams could use one. And knowing WE need one the Cowboys can **** us and trade down with someone like Miami, Seattle, Minnesota just to keep us from getting one.

There's a lot of problems with that article. Carolina needs a QB badly. Buffalo does too, unless they really think Ryan Fitzpatrick can lead them anywhere (He can't.) Cincinatti needs a QB, they must be kidding if they think Carson Palmer has much of anything left. Have they watched him this year? Arizona might have something in Skelton, but he was a late round pick and they have no idea what he can really bring to the table. Max Hall isn't very good. Cleveland may actually believe in McCoy, but SF needs a QB. Tennessee needs a QB unless they can control Vince Young's ongoing head case issues. Hell, even Dallas could take a look. Tony Romo sits to pee is going to be 31 years old next season and just missed most of this last season with a broken something. Not likely, but an outside chance.

Point is, there are a hell of a lot of teams in front of us that could use a QB. And as far as Gabbert goes, I've heard a lot of good things about him, but read something on Walterfootball today that made me curious:

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Height: 6-5. Weight: 240.

Projected 40 Time: 4.71.

Projected Round (2011): Top 20 Pick.

Blaine Gabbert is fat, inaccurate and unprepared to play in an NFL offense. That's why he'll be a top-20 pick. Umm... what?

Can someone shed some light on this? Is that an accurate description by any means?

There are a couple of guys in the "draft database" thread that hype Gabbert endlessly, but I've seen a fairly decent sample size (>10? maybe?) and I don't see it. He's not bad by any means, but he's prone to throw really inaccurate short balls. I can't see Shanahan dumping McNabb for another guy with short range accuracy issues. I'd rather just wait to draft a QB at this point and build a line that could protect the investment first.

This article is confusing.

"Arizona has John Skelton and Max Hall."

Ummmm, on what planet is that a good thing?

The writer seems to think Arizona doesn't need a QB because they have those two stiffs.

From reports I've read, many people think Arizona has the QB they want to build around for the next few years in Skelton. Not saying I agree, just repeating what I've heard.

bishtw - nice find, hope that eye's feelin better brotha :)

Point is Blaine Gabbert has ONE HELL of an agent to be able to get his name into the national media. Or that agent has good friends in the national media, who he has paid to be his friends, so this stuff can happen.....once we as fans realize that all national sports media is controlled by agent lobby money we will be better off.

I can see Arizona going after McNabb, someone that would give Skelton some tutoring.

Buffalo does seem genuinely satisfied with Fitzpatrick.

Carolina will go for Luck if he comes out, if not they wont use a #1 pick on Gabbert.

Cinncinati and the 49rs are the real unknown.

Depending on what the new head coachs will want, Cinn. could jettison Palmer.

And where Palmer lands could impact some of the other spots.

The 49rs are really hot for Harbaugh, if they land him then they may make a trade up with Carolina to grab Luck.

Then there is Tennessee, if Fisher is gone they keep V. Young. IMHO, if Fisher stays then V. Young is gone.

If Shanahan really likes Gabbert then I would not be surprised to see him trade up with Buffalo to get his man.

Me, I wouldnt do it, but there is no telling what Coach Mike would do.

Even if he is the second best QB prospect, Skins don't have good enough draft position to get him.

I think you're right. Todd McShay has him going 5th to Arizona. I wouldn't rule out Buffalo or Cincy if they decide to select Palmers replacement as possible landing spiots in the top 5 as well.

Our next full mock first round is still a couple of weeks away, but here's a quick look at how I see the top five playing out right now.

All five of the players below are underclassmen who have until mid-January to decide whether they will enter the draft, so this is obviously subject to change. But as things stand today, there is little question who the top pick would be.

1. Carolina Panthers -- Stanford QB Andrew Luck

Luck is the highest-graded quarterback since Matt Ryan in 2008 and will be the face of the franchise that drafts him for years.

2. Denver Broncos -- Auburn DT Nick Fairley

A versatile lineman with the ability to disrupt plays in the backfield, Fairley would help shore up a defense that has been a mess for some time now.

3. Buffalo Bills -- LSU CB Patrick Peterson

Peterson's combination of size, instincts and athleticism would be an instant upgrade for the Bills both on defense and in the return game.

4. Cincinnati Bengals -- Clemson DE Da'Quan Bowers

The Bengals managed only 27 sacks in 2010 and could use Bowers' quickness and athleticism off the edge. He also can play the run.

5. Arizona Cardinals -- Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert

Gabbert has risen up the board late in the season thanks to the size, arm strength and pocket mobility to develop into an effective starter in the NFL.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/blog?name=nfl_draft&addata=2009_insdr_mod_nfl_xxx_xxx&id=5984118&addata=2009_insdr_mod_nfl_xxx_xxx

From reports I've read, many people think Arizona has the QB they want to build around for the next few years in Skelton. Not saying I agree, just repeating what I've heard.

bishtw - nice find, hope that eye's feelin better brotha :)

I also know that they liked Hall in preseason. I'd say that they'd probably pass on drafting a QB and probably try to find another veteran to go along with their young guys.

Edit: Wow, I didn't know they had Richard Bartell on their roster as well....

I also know that they liked Hall in preseason. I'd say that they'd probably pass on drafting a QB and probably try to find another veteran to go along with their young guys.

This is where I wondered (purely hypothetical) how likely it would be that Arizona would be a candidate for us moving up to grab Gabbert (if Shanny even wanted him) if we needed to? (i.e. McNabb and our 1st for AZ's first and 5th or something similar?)

Every team on this list could use a franchise QB. There's little or no chance that San Fran gets Harbaugh as coach and Luck as QB. I wouldn't mortgage the farm for Luck. There are other quality QB's available like McElroy, Dalton, Mallett, and Gabbert.

I'm not saying stats are everything, and I haven't see Gabbert play, but his college stats (especially for being considered a first round pick and in a program that was pretty good this season) are AWFUL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=381364

He got sacked more times than he has TDs, and he's not even a good running QB. I really don't see how this is a good thing. I'm sure someone who's seen him will prove me wrong, I hope so if we're really considering this guy, but I can't see how 16 TDs justify a top 10 pick.

---------- Post added January-4th-2011 at 12:31 PM ----------

This is where I wondered (purely hypothetical) how likely it would be that Arizona would be a candidate for us moving up to grab Gabbert (if Shanny even wanted him) if we needed to? (i.e. McNabb and our 1st for AZ's first and 5th or something similar?)

I've been thinking McNabb would be the perfect fit for Arizona. He'd probably want to go there too. They're a good QB away from being in the playoffs, especially in that division. Plus, he could give their younger guys time to figure out how to play.

There's a lot of problems with that article. Carolina needs a QB badly. Buffalo does too, unless they really think Ryan Fitzpatrick can lead them anywhere (He can't.) Cincinatti needs a QB, they must be kidding if they think Carson Palmer has much of anything left. Have they watched him this year? Arizona might have something in Skelton, but he was a late round pick and they have no idea what he can really bring to the table. Max Hall isn't very good. Cleveland may actually believe in McCoy, but SF needs a QB. Tennessee needs a QB unless they can control Vince Young's ongoing head case issues. Hell, even Dallas could take a look. Tony Romo sits to pee is going to be 31 years old next season and just missed most of this last season with a broken something. Not likely, but an outside chance.

Point is, there are a hell of a lot of teams in front of us that could use a QB. And as far as Gabbert goes, I've heard a lot of good things about him, but read something on Walterfootball today that made me curious:

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Height: 6-5. Weight: 240.

Projected 40 Time: 4.71.

Projected Round (2011): Top 20 Pick.

Blaine Gabbert is fat, inaccurate and unprepared to play in an NFL offense. That's why he'll be a top-20 pick. Umm... what?

Can someone shed some light on this? Is that an accurate description by any means?

Check out the draft thread there has been a lot of talk about and analysis of Gabbert. I have watched a number of his games this year and think he is the real deal and could be a really good NFL QB - he has great size, a very good arm, hits what he throws at out of the pocket, has excellent footwork in his throwing motion and a lightning quick release. He spins the ball really well so it gets where its going quickly and has good footspeed and mobility. He also reads coverages well and throws internediate routes finding holes in zones - so many QBs even in the NFL either throw deep or check down, Gabbert also hits those 15 yard dig routes and deep outs against cover 2. I think he is a perfect fit for our offense.

On the down side he has played totally out of shotgun out of a spread offense so his footwork from under centre will need some work along with play action etc. Also when he throws on the run he does lose some accuracy which might be a mechanical issue or it could be a mental thing not sure.

As ever opinions will be split but I would love to draft him. I think there is a chance though he goes before we pick at 10 as there are at least 4 teans drafting ahead of us who need QB help and Gabbert will probably be the second QB off the board with Newton being the wildcard who some team might fall in love with ahead of Gabbert. I think Carolina, Buffalo, Frisco and Arizona all need QBs whatever the writer thinks.

---------- Post added January-4th-2011 at 11:40 AM ----------

I'm not saying stats are everything, and I haven't see Gabbert play, but his college stats (especially for being considered a first round pick and in a program that was pretty good this season) are AWFUL.

He got sacked more times than he has TDs, and he's not even a good running QB. I really don't see how this is a good thing. I'm sure someone who's seen him will prove me wrong, I hope so if we're really considering this guy, but I can't see how 16 TDs justify a top 10 pick.

This is one of those deals where you need to see him play and put into context what he had around him. He has no outside receivers who could get deep so the passing game involved a lot of shorter crossing routes, if you look at his stats the year before when he had some good receivers he put up a lot more yards and TDs. Also this year Mizzou ran a lot in teh red zone with lots of rushing TD's reducing his TD total. Go and watch some footage of him and then form an opinion - the stats tell you very little.

The Redskins need to be patient and let the draft come to them. We're not going to get Luck...so that leaves us with a group of hit or miss prospects (Gabbert among them) who have different talents, but comparable value. I wouldn't take any of them in the first round. If the last three years of the draft show us anything, we will probably be able to get one of the four (Newton, Gabbert, Locker or Mallett) in the 2nd round. If that's the case, we should try to trade down in the first round with a team like San Diego (pick 18), who would give us their first and second round picks. We could take the QB later in the 1st round if we're really anxious. Otherwise, we could grab a solid receiver like Blackmon at that spot. Our first two rounds might yield us the following: Justin Blackmon, one of the above QBs, and Justin Houston (OLB, Georgia). If we take the QB in the first round at pick 18, we could net the QB, Jonathon Baldwin (WR), and Houston. Either scenario would be fine. If we could land Arizona, Tennessee, Miami, San Francisco or Minnesota's 3rd round pick for McNabb, we could try to land a solid NT (say Kendrick Ellis or Sione Fua) or a OC/G (O'Dowd, Pouncey, Hudson). In any case, we need to stick to our board and let the draft come to us.

Blaine Gabbert is fat, inaccurate and unprepared to play in an NFL offense. That's why he'll be a top-20 pick. Umm... what?[/i][/u][/b]

I would say its an inaccurate description.

I'm mean seriously: fat?

Waltersfootball has some good info b/c of the sheer volume.

But, i think you've got to take some of their player evaluations w/ a huge heaping of salt.

My guess is that the above opinion on Gabbert comes from McGuire?

They aren't a professional site meaning they aren't former NFL execs or actual scouts.

In a sense they're no different from me or you and consequently, (McGuire especially) has a tendency to let his personal bias color his scouting reports and often includes statements that are flat out untrue, while down playing the positive attributes a player may have.

You remember his scouting report of Colt McCoy from last year?

Well here's part of it:

[quote name=Matt McGuire

]Weaknesses:

Average frame

Offensive system exaggerate strengths, masks weaknesses

Mobility doesn't translate to NFL with zone reads and scripted runs

Weak arm

Aims ball and it doesn't look natural; passive thrower

Absolutely no stick throws (18-yard deep out, curl, dig, etc.)

Footwork needs a ton of work

Doesn't take many hits

Never operated under center

Stares down receivers

Floats deep ball

Limited upside

Summary: Colt McCoy is the next overhyped collegiate quarterback who really doesn't have much of a chance in the NFL. He is a late-round talent, and don't let ESPN fool you. His talent is pretty mediocre when you consider the things he will have to do in the NFL in terms of the transition to a more West Coast or pro-style spread scheme. He won't stretch a defense in the NFL and the system makes him look far better than he is at Texas.

McCoy is a great college quarterback, but simply isn't an NFL mold. He's a projected fifth-to-seventh-round prospect. McCoy might develop into a solid backup quarterback at the next level, but he is simply not the prospect ESPN wants you to think he is.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since i became a draftgeek i've kept a list of empty critiques that can be applied to any QB.

And imo whenever i see them listed as negative (especially w/o further support) i automatically question the validity of the source.

The top 3 most cited all purpose knocks that can be applied to any QB are:

o he 'holds' the ball too long

o doesn't/can't make reads or its variation can be stated as 'stares' down receivers

o is inaccurate

Those knocks are easy to make and can be applied to almost any QB b/c every QB will do any of those over the course of season sometimes over the course of a game.

Those knocks are so non-specific they're nearly impossible to disprove.

And its seems kinda of an empty way to knock a QB without really knowing a whole lot about a QB.

oh, another all purpose knock for college QBs: he plays in a spread

---------- Post added January-4th-2011 at 12:31 PM ----------

I've been thinking McNabb would be the perfect fit for Arizona. He'd probably want to go there too. They're a good QB away from being in the playoffs, especially in that division. Plus, he could give their younger guys time to figure out how to play.

JFlow I broke down the Gabbert stats in the draft thread but I'll repeat it here. Missouri's offense this year was more designed to be a running team in the red zone and that led to a lot less TD's for Gabbert. Also Steve pointed this out in the thread but Gabbert was sat once the games got out of hand instead of letting him pad stats. I believe someone said that Missouri had 28 rushing TD's this year which is higher than the norm for them. What I'm getting at here is that you need to watch him play and see the pro potential and not really look at the stats because they don't tell the true story

So, I have a question. Why, all of the sudden, has Blaine Gabbert's stock rocketed? Is he really that good?

People thought he was going to stay in school and be the #1 QB in the 2012 draft, he also put on a show against Iowa except for his one bad pass he made that led to a INT TD. He's someone that wasn't the best college QB and had those gaudy stats, but has better pro potential then a lot of QB's

I haven't see Gabbert play

Then you shouldn't comment on him, as a prospect, until you do. That's my honest opinion. We have enough uninformed posters spouting their opinion just to see it on the screen in front of them...if we want intelligent conversation about prospects, especially QB's, we really need to all educate ourselves by watching whatever prospect we're commenting on...otherwise, you're just more white noise to wade through, sorry.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Yn-CewbF1ns/S_7TsRvUESI/AAAAAAAAAkw/hGHPUeCwWzo/s400/james-spader-pink_l1.jpg

Blaine? I don't know, he doesn't seem like a good character guy for our team. I mean didn't you see him in Pretty in Pink?

Seriously though, I don't know how I'd feel about a guy named Blaine being our leader on offense.

If we draft him and he wins I gurantee the name will grow on you quickly :D

People thought he was going to stay in school and be the #1 QB in the 2012 draft, he also put on a show against Iowa except for his one bad pass he made that led to a INT TD. He's someone that wasn't the best college QB and had those gaudy stats, but has better pro potential then a lot of QB's

Fair enough -- I just hadn't seen him play or heard that he was that good.

For everyone's viewing pleasure:

Archived