Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

S.B. Nation, Kansas City- "2011 NFL Draft Order: Who Needs QB Blaine Gabbert?". (Mentions Redskins/McNabb) http://kansascity.sbnation.com

bishtw

Fair enough -- I just hadn't seen him play or heard that he was that good.

For everyone's viewing pleasure:

Good video one thing I think that isn't being talked about is that he was the top rated pro style QB coming out of high school IIRC. That means he's going to be able to transition to the pro style and not have a lot of issues with it

Point is Blaine Gabbert has ONE HELL of an agent to be able to get his name into the national media. Or that agent has good friends in the national media, who he has paid to be his friends, so this stuff can happen.....once we as fans realize that all national sports media is controlled by agent lobby money we will be better off.

And once fans realize that "agents" don't always encompass financial advisors, marketing professionals, and PR people, we won't attribute everything bad in sports to their contract representatives.

Some agents are scum, yeah, but a lot of the time its the players' marketing people that cause all the mess (even in recruiting players with money during the college season).

---------- Post added January-4th-2011 at 12:57 PM ----------

There is something i just dont like about this guy. Cant put my finger on it but i really hope we dont draft him.

Inconsistent accuracy, out of a spread offense where he rarely had to make "NFL type" throws, makes bad decisions at times, and doesn't seem to have the best footwork.

But hey, he's tall and has a big arm. Championship!!

http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2010ttebow.php

Weaknesses:

Absolutely horrendous footwork; has not gotten better since freshman year

Plays in run-option offense

Doesn't throw smooth ball; bad touch

Inaccurate on intermediate routes

Extremely long release

Very bad passing mechanics

Locks onto primary receiver

No pro reads in offense

Left-handed

Tucks and runs

Doesn't make pro-style passing progression reads

Comes from program with bad QB pedigree

Summary: If I could take Tim Tebow's mind and put it into the body of some college quarterbacks, then they would be No. 1 overall picks. However, we have seen quarterbacks with outstanding intangibles bust at the next level. It will take Tebow 3-4 years to learn an NFL offense to where he could actually start a game.

Tebow's best fit at the next level will be at fullback or H-Back because his best skills are his running abilities; there's too much development involved to draft Tebow as a franchise quarterback, though the success of Pat White in the Wildcat offense could help his draft stock. Looks to be a second-round pick with his great intangibles and versatility.

Player Comparison: Byron Leftwich (Passer)/Mike Alstott (Runner). Tebow has a very similar release to Leftwich and he will also struggle to read defenses in NFL. He also has Mike Alstott's elite power running attributes with the ability to get yards after contact.

Good video one thing I think that isn't being talked about is that he was the top rated pro style QB coming out of high school IIRC. That means he's going to be able to transition to the pro style and not have a lot of issues with it

The major knock on spread offense QBs are mostly:

Arm strength

System QBs that won't translate due to not being able to make "all the throws".

Just in watching the Iowa game, Gabbert has plenty of arm strength. One problem I noticed was that he seems to put a very flat trajectory on the ball. Perhaps it was just the game I watched but he doesn't have that touch where the ball angles directly into the "breadbasket" of a receiver while in full stride. Though, to be fair, very few QBs possess this ability.

Personally, I think he's got more upside as an NFL QB in a PS system than Mallett, Newton, Locker, etc. I'm surprised with the meteoric rise in expected draft position. Last I heard before he declared was 2-3rd Rounder due to unimpressive (regardless of justifiable reasoning) stats and no collegiate work in a PS system.

I'm not saying stats are everything, and I haven't see Gabbert play, but his college stats (especially for being considered a first round pick and in a program that was pretty good this season) are AWFUL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=381364

He got sacked more times than he has TDs, and he's not even a good running QB. I really don't see how this is a good thing. I'm sure someone who's seen him will prove me wrong, I hope so if we're really considering this guy, but I can't see how 16 TDs justify a top 10 pick.

wait, what? LoL,

You haven't seen him play?

Two things that stood out to me when watching Blaine Gabbert this year were this:

1) Pocket presence. He sat in the pocket looking downfield with little to no effort at all. He moves well when the rush is near.

2) Lightning quick release. Reminded me of Dan Marino's release. He not only got the ball out quickly, he routinely hit the open guy. With us rebuilding our line, his quick release will help.

Only thing is, like Bradford (who I thought we'd get at 4 last year) has skyrocketed up the charts and I don't believe he'll be at 10 if he declares for the draft. That really bums me out. Maybe he'll have a bad combine, other teams will pass on him and we take him anyway.

Inconsistent accuracy, out of a spread offense where he rarely had to make "NFL type" throws, makes bad decisions at times, and doesn't to have the best footwork.

But hey, he's tall and has a big arm. Championship!!

I will agree he has some accuracy issues when throwing on the run but when he sets his feet he is very accurate. I watched about 4 games of his this year and I saw him make all the throws including stick routes like digs, deep outs and deep crossing routes. In fact one of the things that appealed to me about him was his intermediate passing game and the way he could beat zone coverage at the second level rather than either throwing deep or underneath.

His footwork and overall throwing mechanics are excellent. Great set up, good width on his base, steps into his throws and a lightening fast release. He has worked out of shotgun so it's fair to ask about his drop back and how he would work on play action etc.

Go watch some film, there is a lot more to him than being a big kid who has a fast ball.

I'm not saying stats are everything, and I haven't see Gabbert play, but his college stats (especially for being considered a first round pick and in a program that was pretty good this season) are AWFUL.

QUOTE]

I have watched him play more than I would like living in St. Louis... he SUCKS. Doesn't win big games, has 5 wide open guys to throw to at any given time and still can't get the ball there. I think if you watched their bowl game against Iowa you would see a pretty awful NFL ready QB.

There's a lot of problems with that article. Carolina needs a QB badly. Buffalo does too, unless they really think Ryan Fitzpatrick can lead them anywhere (He can't.) Cincinatti needs a QB, they must be kidding if they think Carson Palmer has much of anything left. Have they watched him this year? Arizona might have something in Skelton, but he was a late round pick and they have no idea what he can really bring to the table. Max Hall isn't very good. Cleveland may actually believe in McCoy, but SF needs a QB. Tennessee needs a QB unless they can control Vince Young's ongoing head case issues. Hell, even Dallas could take a look. Tony Romo sits to pee is going to be 31 years old next season and just missed most of this last season with a broken something. Not likely, but an outside chance.

Point is, there are a hell of a lot of teams in front of us that could use a QB. And as far as Gabbert goes, I've heard a lot of good things about him, but read something on Walterfootball today that made me curious:

Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri

Height: 6-5. Weight: 240.

Projected 40 Time: 4.71.

Projected Round (2011): Top 20 Pick.

Blaine Gabbert is fat, inaccurate and unprepared to play in an NFL offense. That's why he'll be a top-20 pick. Umm... what?

Can someone shed some light on this? Is that an accurate description by any means?

In Buffalo there defense was the problem. Fitzpatrick put up some nice numbers in that offense. Buffalo needs a pass rusher. Titans will roll with Vince Young because Fisher has worn out his welcome and it is time for a change. Cowboys have more needs than the Skins so why would they pass up an opportunity to add a safety, line backer, or offensive lineman that the Cowboys desperately need. San Francisco definitely needs a qb because Alex Smith is done and so is anybody else on that roster at qb.

I have watched him play more than I would like living in St. Louis... he SUCKS. Doesn't win big games, has 5 wide open guys to throw to at any given time and still can't get the ball there. I think if you watched their bowl game against Iowa you would see a pretty awful NFL ready QB.

In Mon, you really think so, man? I've seen him play probably 4 or 5 times, and I was pretty impressed. Just surprised to hear that coming from you...

bishtw - nice find, hope that eye's feelin better brotha :)

Thx, the eye is fine. It turned a little purple and there is a small scab over my eye brow but no pain other then having to explain what happened every 5 min or so it seems. It was cool that you were able to come out for the game all the way over from Middle Earth. When I found the article I thought about you and MTH's girl.

Then you shouldn't comment on him, as a prospect, until you do. That's my honest opinion. We have enough uninformed posters spouting their opinion just to see it on the screen in front of them...if we want intelligent conversation about prospects, especially QB's, we really need to all educate ourselves by watching whatever prospect we're commenting on...otherwise, you're just more white noise to wade through, sorry.

Wow, that was a bit over the top. I've been on here for a while and I wasn't trying to piss anyone off but it's apparent you're just having a ***** day because normally you don't respond lethally to people who have questions like that. All I said was that I haven't seen him play and I wanted to know what someone who has thought of him and why he was a top 10 prospect. I'm not sure how this was so bad:

"I'm not saying stats are everything, and I haven't see Gabbert play, but his college stats (especially for being considered a first round pick and in a program that was pretty good this season) are AWFUL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player...layerId=381364

He got sacked more times than he has TDs, and he's not even a good running QB. I really don't see how this is a good thing. I'm sure someone who's seen him will prove me wrong, I hope so if we're really considering this guy, but I can't see how 16 TDs justify a top 10 pick."

All I said were his stats were awful, which they are, and that he's not a great runner (based on his awful rushing stats), which he's not, so there must be some other reason and I hope someone can inform me. Where in there did you hear, "This guy sucks and should never play in the NFL and everyone who things otherwise is a joke." I definitely wasn't trying to "see my name on the screen". Sorry you felt that way. I wanted to get a genuine opinion from someone who knew more than I do about him, and that's all I asked for.

Come on man, we're all on the same team here.

---------- Post added January-4th-2011 at 09:34 PM ----------

I know if I were a better college football fan, I probably would have watched him more too, since I'm also in St. Louis. I just don't like the Big 12 much. Most of the games I watch are ACC or SEC. Thanks for the post though.

---------- Post added January-4th-2011 at 09:36 PM ----------

wait, what? LoL,

You haven't seen him play?

lol, yes I said see instead of seen, finger twitch. Since I hadn't seen him play, all I have is stats, or highlight videos (which show less than stats do), and that's what the stats showed, not a runner, and didn't throw many TDs, but thanks to Dukes, I understand why that is now.

EDIT:

In reality, I don't care who we draft in the first round, Kicker or QB, as long as we win more games next season. If it's Blaine Gabbert or Luck and whoever we get turns into Steve Young, then fantastic.

Thx, the eye is fine. It turned a little purple and there is a small scab over my eye brow but no pain other then having to explain what happened every 5 min or so it seems. It was cool that you were able to come out for the game all the way over from Middle Earth. When I found the article I thought about you and MTH's girl.

Good to hear. Ya, Sunday was a damn blast man, I'll definitely be back out next year @ least once & hopefully more. As far as Gabbert goes, I'm all on the Mizzou product's bandwagon for sure, and even came up w/ my own name I like more than the Gang of Gabbert....still think it should be labeled the Gift of Gabbert...

In Mon, you really think so, man? I've seen him play probably 4 or 5 times, and I was pretty impressed. Just surprised to hear that coming from you...

Yeah, def not a Blaine G fan. He runs up stats but doesn't impress me withthe game on the line and rushes too early without looking downfield. That pick against Iowa sums him up for me. Not a fan, plus he's not running anything like an NFL offense.

---------- Post added January-5th-2011 at 12:33 AM ----------

Good to hear. Ya, Sunday was a damn blast man, I'll definitely be back out next year @ least once & hopefully more. As far as Gabbert goes, I'm all on the Mizzou product's bandwagon for sure, and even came up w/ my own name I like more than the Gang of Gabbert....still think it should be labeled the Gift of Gabbert...

Not to hi jack the thread... But the skins play here again next yr!

Yeah, def not a Blaine G fan. He runs up stats but doesn't impress me withthe game on the line and rushes too early without looking downfield. That pick against Iowa sums him up for me. Not a fan, plus he's not running anything like an NFL offense.

Interesting - yeah, I'm starting to hear both sides of Gabbert. I, for one, am a fan, but I'm also firmly planted that I wouldn't mind a few of the QB's coming out (I think I'd be happy with about anybody but Newton), and will be much more confident in Shanny's pick, than my own. April can't get here soon enough.

Not to hi jack the thread... But the skins play here again next yr!

Was the first thing that jumped off the page about the new schedule. We'll be tailgating at that one again, without a doubt.

Archived