Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This day in Redskins History : Dec 31, 1972 Redskins 26 - Dallas 3

MarkB452

The Over the Hill gang routs Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, and company in the 1972 NFC Championship game at RFK.

Many of us would love to see this game in its entirety. I recently sent the following email to NFL Films and this is the response:

Do you have game footage of the 1972 NFC Championship of the Redskins vs. Dallas? I wish this had been part of the Redskins beating Cowboys DVD set that came out earlier this fall. From what I understand, NOBODY has this game in its entirety. I met Bruce Allen at a function last summer and asked him if his family had any of the game films from that game and he said to contact you.

>>>

I'm sorry ... most entire games are not available to the public from NFL Films or any other source for personal use. However we have released a limited amount of entire games through our Greatest Games series. To see what teams have released a greatest games series please visit Warner Bros web site.š If you do not find the game you are looking for there then it is not available to the public.š Keep checking the site as new releases are added all the time. http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/dvd_sports.jsp šIf you enter NFL in the WHV search box, it will give you a list of the titles available through their website. Or please try www.nflshop.com If you think you might be interested in our special order catalog, you may view our catalog online at www.NFLFilms.com/specialorders Everything that is available to the public is listed on these sites. If you can’t find what you are looking for on either of these sites then it is not available for the public. Thank you for your interest in NFL Films.

---------- Post added December-31st-2010 at 10:32 PM ----------

http://www.nflfilms.com/specialorders/

“Game of the WEEK” was a TV SHOW produced by NFL Films. It was produced for broadcast in less than 24 hours after the game was played. Usually only one game was highlighted. However, sometimes two games were highlighted on the same SHOW. Each program is approximately 23 minutes long, unless otherwise indicated.

Please order programs by Year, GOW, SHOW # on the enclosed order form

Example: 1971 GOW #6

*Each disc is $50, unless otherwise indicated *

YEAR: 1972

SHOW: #16

GAME: Cowboys 3 - Redskins 26

(NFC Championship)

Tape ID: 57995

23 minutes

The Holy Grail of game collectors. The closest I've ever come is a fellow collector telling me that he knew someone who claimed to have this game but never provided proof.

I suspect the original broadcast of this game does not exist otherwise one would think it would have been on that Dallas/Skins DVD instead of the crap they provided.

One of th greatest days in Skins' history, it was an unbeliveably balmy 68 degrees - - portending the dramatic occurences that afternoon when we destroyed the Cowboys. Diron Talbert went nuts. At 4 pm after the game was over, no matter where you lived in DC, you could hear car horns blaring and everyone drove with their lights on - - an unheard of occurrence at that time. We then went on to destry the Packers the next week. The Pack had one of the best running attacks in the league, led by the brusing Heisman Trophy winner, John Brockington of Ohio State. Bruce Allen's Dad foiled their attack by deploying for the very first time that year a five man defensive front, inserting huge DT Manny Sistrunk into the line. The result: Game over!

The Over the Hill gang routs Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, and company in the 1972 NFC Championship game at RFK.

Many of us would love to see this game in its entirety. I recently sent the following email to NFL Films and this is the response:

Do you have game footage of the 1972 NFC Championship of the Redskins vs. Dallas? I wish this had been part of the Redskins beating Cowboys DVD set that came out earlier this fall. From what I understand, NOBODY has this game in its entirety. I met Bruce Allen at a function last summer and asked him if his family had any of the game films from that game and he said to contact you.

>>>

I'm sorry ... most entire games are not available to the public from NFL Films or any other source for personal use. However we have released a limited amount of entire games through our Greatest Games series. To see what teams have released a greatest games series please visit Warner Bros web site.š If you do not find the game you are looking for there then it is not available to the public.š Keep checking the site as new releases are added all the time. http://whv.warnerbros.com/WHVPORTAL/Portal/dvd_sports.jsp šIf you enter NFL in the WHV search box, it will give you a list of the titles available through their website. Or please try www.nflshop.com If you think you might be interested in our special order catalog, you may view our catalog online at www.NFLFilms.com/specialorders Everything that is available to the public is listed on these sites. If you can’t find what you are looking for on either of these sites then it is not available for the public. Thank you for your interest in NFL Films.

---------- Post added December-31st-2010 at 10:32 PM ----------

http://www.nflfilms.com/specialorders/

“Game of the WEEK” was a TV SHOW produced by NFL Films. It was produced for broadcast in less than 24 hours after the game was played. Usually only one game was highlighted. However, sometimes two games were highlighted on the same SHOW. Each program is approximately 23 minutes long, unless otherwise indicated.

Please order programs by Year, GOW, SHOW # on the enclosed order form

Example: 1971 GOW #6

*Each disc is $50, unless otherwise indicated *

YEAR: 1972

SHOW: #16

GAME: Cowboys 3 - Redskins 26

(NFC Championship)

Tape ID: 57995

23 minutes

That's sad, the have some lame game for sale and they don't have this one

We then went on to destroy the Packers the next week

Incorrect......we played the Packers in the divisional round (won 16-3), and then the Cowboys in the conference championship.

I'm still unclear on whether this game was shown on local DC television due to the rules at the time about broadcasts in local markets. Some on this board claim that they saw the game on TV, while Andy Pollin on 980 has always claimed the game was not on TV here.

One of th greatest days in Skins' history, it was an unbeliveably balmy 68 degrees - - portending the dramatic occurences that afternoon when we destroyed the Cowboys. Diron Talbert went nuts. At 4 pm after the game was over, no matter where you lived in DC, you could hear car horns blaring and everyone drove with their lights on - - an unheard of occurrence at that time. We then went on to destry the Packers the next week. The Pack had one of the best running attacks in the league, led by the brusing Heisman Trophy winner, John Brockington of Ohio State. Bruce Allen's Dad foiled their attack by deploying for the very first time that year a five man defensive front, inserting huge DT Manny Sistrunk into the line. The result: Game over!

Actually we had already played the Packers the week before, and won 16-3, as we shut down John Brockington and Co

---------- Post added January-1st-2011 at 09:55 AM ----------

Incorrect......we played the Packers in the divisional round (won 16-3), and then the Cowboys in the conference championship.

I'm still unclear on whether this game was shown on local DC television due to the rules at the time about broadcasts in local markets. Some on this board claim that they saw the game on TV, while Andy Pollin on 980 has always claimed the game was not on TV here.

It was on local TV,because my Mom watched every play, while waiting on New Years eve guests.

I think it was Tom Brrokshire and Pat Summeral

"40 men together can't lose."

-George Allen (said prior to the 1972 NFC Championship game)

The problem with his logic was, the other team also has 40 men. If they "play together," too, they can't lose either, therefore, the game must end in a tie.

It would be a 0-0-14 season.

That's sad, the have some lame game for sale and they don't have this one

Great. Now I gotta put on my mod uniform again. <sigh>

11. Please do not use the “Quote” feature to quote pictures, large blocks of text or embedded YouTube videos.

It wastes space and unnecessarily extends and clutters threads

.....we played the Packers in the divisional round (won 16-3), and then the Cowboys in the conference championship.

What was especially cool about that Packers game is - we had practiced in secret out of sight of the media the week prior. Game day - I believe the Packers had possession first. We shocked the world when Coach Allen opened the game with a 5-man defensive front, which successfully completely shut down Green Bay's feared running game and catapulted us to the NFC Championship.

It was on local TV,because my Mom watched every play, while waiting on New Years eve guests.

I think it was Tom Brrokshire and Pat Summeral

It was on TV, I remember watching it.

lol

It was absolutely NOT on local TV. Guaranteed. Yes, I'm sure. Yes, I'm positive.

It was broadcast out of Baltimore, and it could be picked up in the DC area if you had a good roof antenna, or if you were willing to watch an extremely snowy picture. DC was blacked out.

dcp4099ss.jpg

I remember listening to the Skins-Packers game on the radio and hearing the Skins starting a five-man defensive front, including three defensive tackles; Diron Talbert, Bill Brundige and Manny Sistrunk. The Packers didn't have much of a passing attack with 2nd year QB Scott Hunter at the helm. Hunter had only thrown 6 TD passes all season against 9 INT's so George Allen gambled that Hunter couldn't beat the Skins with his arm. He was right. With that 5-man front, the Packers couldn't run inside and when they tried to run outside, CB's Pat Fischer and Mike Bass were able to come up for run support. With no MLB, LB's Jack Pardee and Chris Hanburger ran around like mad men with Hanburger picking off a Hunter pass and setting up a Curt Knight FG.

Thankfully, the next game WAS on TV. Would love to have that 23 minute video but until then, this will have to suffice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSewoJtXg58&feature=related

lol

It was absolutely NOT on local TV. Guaranteed. Yes, I'm sure. Yes, I'm positive.

It was broadcast out of Baltimore, and it could be picked up in the DC area if you had a good roof antenna, or if you were willing to watch an extremely snowy picture. DC was blacked out.

I watched it in black & white on rabbit ears from Wheaton and had a clear picture. I don't think I would have gotten Channel 11 in Baltimore with a clear picture. 1972 was the first year home blackouts were lifted if the game was sold out 72 hours before kickoff, so why would that game be blacked out?

Archived