Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This day in Redskins History : Dec 31, 1972 Redskins 26 - Dallas 3

MarkB452

• 1 month later...

Looks like MTH was right about it not being on in the DC area.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/in-1972-redskin-fans-couldnt-watch-nfc-championship-on-tvs-in-washington/2012/01/27/gIQANXwCqQ_story.html

No, the game was not broadcast in Washington. In a story the morning of the game, Dec. 31, 1972, The Washington Post wrote: “CBS television is transmitting the game to 210 stations around the country and Puerto Rico, Canada, Hawaii and Mexico — but not to Washington.”

In another story that day, The Post’s Ken Denlinger wrote: “NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle re-emphasized the league’s television blackout policy yesterday and said the closest station carrying the game would be WMAR-TV, Channel 2, in Baltimore.”

Answer Man is sure plenty of Redskins fans spent the day crimping tinfoil around the rabbit ears of their TV sets, hoping to pull in a ghostly signal from Baltimore.

The television blackout rules back then were in*cred*ibly restrictive. NFL games could not be shown within 75 miles of the home market. The league argued that if games weren’t blacked out, fans would stay home, especially if the weather was lousy on game day, even if they had already bought tickets.

(......more at the link)

BTW, check the quote from the guy from the NFL about the blackout rules and how people should not get what they want...wow...talk about ticking off the fans.

Article on Richard Nixon's attempts to get the blackout of the '72 playoff games lifted:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7565229/nfl-rejected-president-nixon-blackout-proposal-white-house-tapes-reveal

In another previously unreported taped White House conversation the week before the first 1972 playoff game, Nixon vented to Kleindienst and White House aide John D. Ehrlichman about the game not being televised locally.

"The folks should be able to see the god---- games on television," he said. "Playoff games. Playoffs -- all playoff games should be available.

"Now, you might say this. You might also point out, and say listen, just so you understand ... the president is not speaking for himself in this instance, because he's going to be in Florida. And he's going to be watching the game in Florida -- it's going to be carried there. But he's speaking for all the people in Washington that didn't vote for him," Nixon said to laughter. The president had lost only the District of Columbia and Massachusetts in his landslide 1972 victory over Democrat George McGovern.

"Put it right that way."

Jim Mora + Richard Nixon = "P-P-playoffs? Don't be talkin' about blacking out the &^% playoffs! Are you kiddin' me?"

---------- Post added February-12th-2012 at 02:43 PM ----------

I can't comment on whether or not the game was shown locally - a little too young to remember. But this game is DEFINITELY the Holy Grail for Redskins video collectors. I've been looking for it for years. I know it was broadcast on CBS, and I've heard all sorts of rumors over the years, things like a fire destroyed many master game tapes in some warehouse somewhere, etc. Who knows what's true? It seems insane to me that a broadcast of this NFC Championship game is nowhere to found, when games like the 1971 Monday Night Football game vs. the Rams are available in crystal clear picture and sound.

Best I've ever found is the radio broadcast of the game (the CBS raido broadcast, sadly, not the local broadcast), which is enjoyable, and about 23 minutes of NFL Films highlights. It's a game I actually have dreams about acquiring. It's gotta be out there somewhere.

>> You have to figure if NFL Films has a 22 minute highlight, then they should have a TON of unused footage lying around somewhere. I think a letter writing/email campaign may be in order to produce this game. I'm thinking these should go to NFL Films and the NFL. It would be nice if we could get the support of the Redskins and/or Bruce Allen behind this as well. I think without a doubt this was the crowning achievement of George Allen's career in DC.

• 1 month later...

I am still in pursuit of getting this game.

Check out this auction item from Ebay. It appears to be the Vikings copy of the NFL Films footage from the 1973 NFC Championship game.

Does this mean the Redskins would have a copy of the 1972 game?? I can only assume that Dallas burned their copy.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Original-1973-NFC-Championship-16mm-game-films-Dallas-vs-Minnesota-Vikings-/140661537808?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c014bc10

• 2 months later...

Found this on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/THE-REDSKINS-PLAY-BY-PLAY-HIGHLIGHTS-1972-1973-SEASON-LP-FCLP-3068-/230775515426?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item35bb4ae922

Check the picture on the back of the album. It is the "alternate" 1972 team picture. There's Sonny peaking out on the far left side in the 3rd row. Also in this pic and not in the "official" pic are #20 Tommy Mason and #30 Bryant Salter...maybe others?

Juregenson's allegation that George left him out of the team pic seem a little unfair in my opinion given that other players were left out as well. My guess is he wanted to use the pic that had the SuperBowl roster (but not sure why Jim Snowden is in the pic).

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I broke down and shelled out $60 to get the 23 minute "Game of the week" highlight reel of this game...just watched it...very cool. BTW, "40 men together can't lose!" and "Die you dogs die!" was not part of it.

Youtube video (some of this is in the GOTW hightlights): << BTW, watch the credits and hear players talk about what Redskins fans meant to them.

The Dallas game this year is 12/30...this will be 1 day short of the 40th anniversary of this game. Here's hoping we win 26-3 again.

If we win by that margin in that big of a game (especially after the whooping I assume Philthy will receive), Shanny may have a juggernaut on his hands :beavisnbutthead:

Seriously, though... first things first. Let's beat the birds. HTTR:helmet:

Incorrect......we played the Packers in the divisional round (won 16-3), and then the Cowboys in the conference championship.

I'm still unclear on whether this game was shown on local DC television due to the rules at the time about broadcasts in local markets. Some on this board claim that they saw the game on TV, while Andy Pollin on 980 has always claimed the game was not on TV here.

I hate to contradict Mr. Pollin, but I was 13 years old and I watched that game on TV. Back then every Redskins game was sold out. Just as they are today. The waiting list at RFK was huge. I started a thread about this game earlier this week. Many younger Redskins fans did not know what I was talking about. Be assured, I saw it on TV. Then again, Redskin lore is so much a part of my history, I could just be imagining things. But, I don't think so.

I hate to contradict Mr. Pollin, but I was 13 years old and I watched that game on TV. Back then every Redskins game was sold out. Just as they are today. The waiting list at RFK was huge. I started a thread about this game earlier this week. Many younger Redskins fans did not know what I was talking about. Be assured, I saw it on TV. Then again, Redskin lore is so much a part of my history, I could just be imagining things. But, I don't think so.

You are correct, I have heard people from MD say they did not get the game, but my mom and sisters watched it and my dad and I were there

You are correct, I have heard people from MD say they did not get the game, but my mom and sisters watched it and my dad and I were there

:ols:

Another typical internet discussion. The facts are right in front of us, but some choose to refuse to acknowledge it.

There was never any doubt the game was televised. The point is, it wasn't broadcast from the district.

From links earlier in the thread:

In a story the morning of the game, Dec. 31, 1972, The Washington Post wrote: “CBS television is transmitting the game to 210 stations around the country and Puerto Rico, Canada, Hawaii and Mexico — but not to Washington.”

and

In another story that day, The Post’s Ken Denlinger wrote: “NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle re-emphasized the league’s television blackout policy yesterday and said the closest station carrying the game would be WMAR-TV, Channel 2, in Baltimore.”

But some in this thread, of course, will believe these dated newpaper article quotes above are fabricated.

This is a good example of why I don't get too deep into discussions such as this. There is no point in arguing with people who aren't capable of being reasonable.

Thanks MarkB452 and hail2skins for the above links.

For all the game NFL Films has floating out there, they need to find this one. I wanna see this more than any game ever

i have been looking for this a long time. nfl most likely has footage they could cobble together and produce something longer than the gotw release.

i know radio broadcasts are out for this game, do not know if they are complete.

i have been looking for this a long time. nfl most likely has footage they could cobble together and produce something longer than the gotw release.

i know radio broadcasts are out for this game, do not know if they are complete.

I included a printed copy of the recent Post article about how the game was blacked out in DC. I asked/begged if they would release more footage for this game. You got to think they were running at least one camera on every play. For instance on the long Taylor TD, the DVD footage had 2 angles of that play. One from across the field (the one you see whenever they talk about this game) and another from the near sideline.

I would also think the Allen family has the coaching films as well. Besides the 1963 Bears championship and teaching Charo to be a shut down cover corner on Battle of the Network Stars, this may have been his greatest coaching achievement.

(......and I'm looking for the Charo footage as well)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived