Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This day in Redskins History : Dec 31, 1972 Redskins 26 - Dallas 3

MarkB452

In late 1972, I was sixteen living at my parent's house in Bethesda, MD. I watched both playoff games on a small portable black and white Sears TV with one rabbit ear because I could set it up in my sister's bedroom. My sister's bedroom was the only room in the house I could get any kind of reception from Baltimore. I sat on a desk chair with the TV sitting on my sister's canopy bed. The picture was extremely snowy, and barely watch-able. It was horrible. But that is what I watched because it was my only option. That is how I watched both playoff games.

Re the 75 mile thing - there was no 75 mile rule in 1972. I specifically remember my best friend's father having a super-duper TV antenna installed on his roof, replacing his ordinary antenna. It was the talk of the neighborhood. The sole purpose of it was so that he could watch blacked-out Redskins games being broadcast from Baltimore. He had two season tickets, but he didn't go to all games - sometimes he'd give them to one of his four kids. Hence, the need for the antenna. So his house was where we watched home games.

"Mark - good to see you. Now sit down and keep quiet." -friend's Dad.

Um, so if your friend's family had this super duper antenna, why did you watch the playoff games in your sister's room?

Mark was disinvited after he lectured his friend's father on how he was paying too much for his season tix and could get better deals on the secondary market :)

haha ... you guys are hilarious....

My friend's father had season tickets ni 1972. But he also had five kids who were all Redskins fans. So he let them go to games sometimes. Hence, the need to watch some of the home games at home.

Re the two 1972 playoff games, my friend and his Dad attended those games.

I remember this so very clearly. I'm surprised nobody else does...

haha ... you guys are hilarious....

My friend's father had season tickets ni 1972. But he also had five kids who were all Redskins fans. So he let them go to games sometimes. Hence, the need to watch some of the home games at home.

Re the two 1972 playoff games, my friend and his Dad attended those games.

I remember this so very clearly. I'm surprised nobody else does...

>> I think tailgating on the guy's front lawn for 6 hours before the game may have had something to do with it too........ :)

• 2 months later...
The Over the Hill gang routs Tom Landry, Roger Staubach, and company in the 1972 NFC Championship game at RFK.

Many of us would love to see this game in its entirety.

This game, like a lot of rare games, can be found on Hulu.

I'd love video of the Redskins - Green Bay Packers 1972 playoff game. I've been hearing about George Allen's five man line for so long. I want to see it for myself.

What chance do you think that the '72 season would end up in a DVD collection?

This game, like a lot of rare games, can be found on Hulu.

I'd love video of the Redskins - Green Bay Packers 1972 playoff game. I've been hearing about George Allen's five man line for so long. I want to see it for myself.

What chance do you think that the '72 season would end up in a DVD collection?

I have looked for this game on HULU and all I can find are the 1972 Highlights. Can you post a link? Much Thanks

1972 Highlights:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/151796/team-highlights-1972-washington-redskins

• 9 months later...

Box score from the game:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197212310was.htm

>> Hmmm, I dunno, but I'll still take MTH's recollection over his.

The 1972 season will forever stay with me as the experience of what it means to be a real fan. My dad managed to score a pair of tickets to the final home game, a loss to OJ Simpson and the Buffalo Bills. It didn't matter much, the Redskins had already clinched the NFC East and star running back Larry Brown was being rested for the playoffs. We happened to be in Pennsylvania for the opening playoff game against Green Bay. Good thing. That game was blacked out in the D.C. area, thanks to the final year of the NFL's policy of blacking out ALL home games. We watched the win over the Packers in Holliday Inn. That put the Skins in the NFC title game against Dallas at RFK. Championship games didn't get the blackout treatment, so we got to watch that one in the basement. Oh what a night! The Redskins won 26-3. It was great. Two weeks later we went up the street to watch the Super Bowl at our neihbor's house. It was terrible. The Redskins lost 14-7 to cap Miami's undefeated season. It took me weeks to get over it.

The NFC Championship game was ABSOLUTELY shown on local TV. I watched it from beginning to end, screaming my lungs out. DC hasn't partied that hard on New Years Eve ever since. The 50 yd bomb that Kilmer threw to Charley Taylor was a thing of beauty. The Washington Post captured that moment with Taylor's eyes locked in on the ball and the Dallas defender in full futile dive mode. One of the best sports photographs in DC history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSewoJtXg58

Taylor pic is here:

http://gallery.pictopia.com/wpost/gallery/S710116/photo/xt-mt-25-130907/?o=17

Drawing of this pic with logos removed. A few years ago, a friend was cleaning up some stuff and gave me the Charlie and Chris posters.

http://www.redskinscardmuseum.com/1973-74-mcdonalds-redskins.html

Interesting story on the pic itself:

The Post’s Dick Darcey, the best newspaper sports photographer of his time, knew the Redskins so well that they sometimes swore him to secrecy, then told him parts of their game plan so he could be in the best position to get shots of key plays. For Dallas, they had scripted a bomb up the right sideline from Billy Kilmer to Hall of Famer Charley Taylor but wanted to save it for a pivotal moment. When the time came, Dick had a tipster.

Early in the fourth quarter, the Redskins led, 10-3, at the Dallas 45-yard line. A score for a 17-3 lead would be a Cowboy crusher. In the press box, one of our writers said: “Look at Darcey. Here it comes.”

Carrying equipment that seemed to weigh as much as he did, Dick was sprinting from midfield, where all the other photogs were, toward the north end zone. He got to the goal line just in time. Kilmer threw it about as far as he could. Taylor beat his man by a stride. And Darcey snapped one of the best Washington sports shots ever taken, with the ball on Taylor’s fingertips just as he’s about to run straight off the page and into your breakfast cereal bowl.

The NFC Championship game was ABSOLUTELY shown on local TV. I watched it from beginning to end, screaming my lungs out. DC hasn't partied that hard on New Years Eve ever since. The 50 yd bomb that Kilmer threw to Charley Taylor was a thing of beauty. The Washington Post captured that moment with Taylor's eyes locked in on the ball and the Dallas defender in full futile dive mode. One of the best sports photographs in DC history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSewoJtXg58

I watched it in my basement as well. Sitting on a folding chair next to the TV. Parents were having a NYE party that night and had cleared out the furniture.

We did have an antenna up on a telephone pole, but I don't recall being able to get Baltimore TV stations as we lived in the Shenandoah Valley about 35 miles south of Winchester, VA.

I can't attest to what station it was on, but I do remember watching it.

Taylor pic is here:

http://gallery.pictopia.com/wpost/gallery/S710116/photo/xt-mt-25-130907/?o=17

Drawing of this pic with logos removed. A few years ago, a friend was cleaning up some stuff and gave me the Charlie and Chris posters.

http://www.redskinscardmuseum.com/1973-74-mcdonalds-redskins.html

Interesting story on the pic itself:

The Post’s Dick Darcey, the best newspaper sports photographer of his time, knew the Redskins so well that they sometimes swore him to secrecy, then told him parts of their game plan so he could be in the best position to get shots of key plays. For Dallas, they had scripted a bomb up the right sideline from Billy Kilmer to Hall of Famer Charley Taylor but wanted to save it for a pivotal moment. When the time came, Dick had a tipster.

Early in the fourth quarter, the Redskins led, 10-3, at the Dallas 45-yard line. A score for a 17-3 lead would be a Cowboy crusher. In the press box, one of our writers said: “Look at Darcey. Here it comes.”

Carrying equipment that seemed to weigh as much as he did, Dick was sprinting from midfield, where all the other photogs were, toward the north end zone. He got to the goal line just in time. Kilmer threw it about as far as he could. Taylor beat his man by a stride. And Darcey snapped one of the best Washington sports shots ever taken, with the ball on Taylor’s fingertips just as he’s about to run straight off the page and into your breakfast cereal bowl.

THANK YOU for the link to Taylor's catch!!! My new signature!!

I lived in Rockville back then....my parents went, it was actually the last game my father ever attended. I cant remember seeing it, although the "snowy picture" reference rings a bell. Whats the correct answer? Was it televised or not?

>> I think the question is: "Was it on in the DC area?". If you lived in NOVA or MD, you might have been able to pull it in from another area. As for myself, I was living in Richmond VA at the time. My older brother said that my dad was sick and we brought the TV into the bedroom so he could watch the game (btw, he had access to a season ticket at that time, so not sure who actually went to the game). At the time, our sole TV consisted of a 19"(?) B/W TV. I don't remember watching the NFC Championship game, but I distinctly remember watching SB VII. My guess is it was kind of crowded in the bedroom and there was no place to really sit (damn my 9 year old self - should have grabbed a chair from the kitchen).

More info on the broadcast...LOL, it must of killed Pat Summerall to see Dallas get stomped.

He and Phyllis George sure did love those Cowboys.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1636713/

I can't comment on whether or not the game was shown locally - a little too young to remember. But this game is DEFINITELY the Holy Grail for Redskins video collectors. I've been looking for it for years. I know it was broadcast on CBS, and I've heard all sorts of rumors over the years, things like a fire destroyed many master game tapes in some warehouse somewhere, etc. Who knows what's true? It seems insane to me that a broadcast of this NFC Championship game is nowhere to found, when games like the 1971 Monday Night Football game vs. the Rams are available in crystal clear picture and sound.

Best I've ever found is the radio broadcast of the game (the CBS raido broadcast, sadly, not the local broadcast), which is enjoyable, and about 23 minutes of NFL Films highlights. It's a game I actually have dreams about acquiring. It's gotta be out there somewhere.

This game was absolutely televised on local tv, it was a sellout, of course, therefore not blacked out.

According to the Wiki page I linked earlier in the thread, prior to 1973 games were blacked out in the local market regardless of whether it was sold out or not.

From what Andy Pollin is saying, the Packers game was blacked out in DC, but the Cowboys game was not.

Archived