Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Surprising Praise from Don Banks

The Wicked Wop

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/don_banks/12/26/snap.judgments/1.html

So much for the delusional notions that the Redskins were tanking their games late this season to improve their draft status and maybe land a franchise quarterback. No matter how you feel about Washington's handling of veteran quarterback Donovan McNabb, let's at least be honest enough to admit the Redskins offense has looked better these past two weeks with Rex Grossman in the lineup and McNabb on the bench.

Grossman was 19 of 39 for 182 yards with a touchdown and an interception in the overtime win at Jacksonville, and he's thrown for five scores and three interceptions in his two starts replacing McNabb. He's not the future in D.C., but he's far from a disaster at present.

About the only real quibble you can have about Grossman right now is his decision to do the Gator chomp after firing a touchdown pass to tight end Fred Davis on Sunday. Maybe it was being back in Florida that got him all nostalgic for the Spurrier era.

Don't know how much better on offense we actually looked today, but the defense contributions by our young guys should not be understated. A couple back to back weeks where a number of different youngsters stepped up......very encouraging. Get on Shanny all you want for not being politically correct, but getting to know who can play and who can't is critical before the start of next year.

I'd say Grossman had a pretty good day... he completed 19 of 39, but had about 4 or 5 intentional throw aways and another 4 or 5 nearly perfect passes to Cooley that were drops. So, in terms of being on target he was 19 of 29 for about 250 or so... he did his job.... not fantastically, but pretty well.

Why do so many have trouble acknowledging that Grossman is doing well?

He's led us on long drives, put the ball where it was supposed to be, and has had his fair share of passes dropped.

All of this behind a very, very suspect o-line.

He's a breath of fresh air.

Look, I really really really like McNabb. I freaked out when he was benched. I did not think he was the source of our problems. But Grossman has out played McNabb. Why is it so hard for people to say that?

I saw this stat today and it really stood out to me:

McNabb's first 2 games - 1-1 with 1 throwing TD (this includes his Houston game - his best game of the year)

Grossman's first 2 games - 1-1 with 5 throwing TDs

5 to 1.

Of course Rex has played far better than TwoFace but try telling that to TwoFace's sycophants. They still refuse to give Rex an ounce of credit. It's okay though. I really have found it entertaining watching people like Pumpkinhead on the Comcast postgame show continue to make excuses.

Let it go scruff. He's gone. You won't be seeing him in a Redskins uni again, all things being equal. No need for any more name calling

Let it go man.

BTW, did we decide if last week's outing was better than Week 2's? I'm easy either way, but the offer still stands for you to give me that sig. if you feel vindicated that it was.

Hail.

I think the Grossman experiment confirms that Kyle's system works. If an average quarterback can operate it, imagine what a good QB can do in it. McNabb is a v. good quarterback, but he had not desire to change his way of doing business. So, the Skins really do need a rookie to groom. As for the criticism that Mike doesn't know personnel-he was salivating for Sam Bradford!

i for one am happy to admit i may have been wrong. i never in a million years thought that Grossman would be equal to or better than Mc5. he is arguably playing as well if not better than Mc5 and who knows... maybe getting full time snaps in practice and consistently starting he may turn out to be pretty good after all.

my point is... if Grossman is playing at this level and has not consistently started the last few years... it is expected that he would be rusty. maybe some regular work and he may be true starter material again?

---------- Post added December-27th-2010 at 08:44 AM ----------

also i would like to say he has surely thrown some pretty passes!

I'd say Grossman had a pretty good day... he completed 19 of 39, but had about 4 or 5 intentional throw aways and another 4 or 5 nearly perfect passes to Cooley that were drops. So, in terms of being on target he was 19 of 29 for about 250 or so... he did his job.... not fantastically, but pretty well.

I would prefer to say it was average rather than good. It was really a mixed bag. Definately didn't have the game he had last week. But he did contribute to the win.

I would prefer to say it was average rather than good. It was really a mixed bag. Definately didn't have the game he had last week. But he did contribute to the win.

I'd agree. He got a C yesterday. I'm not on the McNabb side of things, but it felt like a game that we'd have won with either QB. Now, the Dallas game, in my opinion, ends in a blowout with McNabb in there.

The offense is still putrid. Moss did well, Torain did well when they gave him the ball. Grossman did poorly, although the one int shouldn't have counted ( i mean really?!). Even with Cooley's drops, he still barely completed 50% and didn't put up much yardage. Reminds me of Mark Brunell. Ugh. Growing pains.

Archived