Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: five Redskins who need more playing time

themurf

montgomery121610.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

This isn’t exactly breaking news, but the Washington Redskins are done. After losing five of their last six points, it’s officially time to close the book on the 2010 season and start looking ahead to how to fix this mess.

The Redskins don’t play in the NFC West, so they’re not going to make the playoffs, and honestly, this team is so flawed that it’s for the best anyway. In order for Washington to have any real chance at building a consistent winner, the franchise has to fundamentally change the way they conduct business.

High-priced free agents should be the cherry on top – judiciously added to an already established team in hopes of pushing your talent level over the top. Of course, anyone familiar with the Redskins knows that free agency has been a way of life for the burgundy and gold.

But honestly, how many of the free agents that head coach Mike Shanahan brought in last offseason actually made an impact? Guys like running back Ryan Torain and cornerback Phillip Buchanon have shown flashes, but far too often you find there’s a reason other teams discarded the players you’re picking from.

The key, of course, to building a long-term winner is to embrace a youth movement. (Well, technically the key to fixing the problem is to first admit you have a problem, which isn’t something Shanahan and the Redskins seem overly eager to do, but that’s a conversation for another day). Build through the draft and discover your own younger, less-expensive talent rather than overpaying for a player who made a name for himself elsewhere.

It’s okay to have a few veteran players in your locker room to serve as leaders (guys like defensive end Phillip Daniels, receiver Santana Moss and middle linebacker London Fletcher instantly come to mind), but there’s not much to get excited about when you have one of the oldest teams in the league and you’re still finding new and creative ways to lose each week.

At least if you’re playing younger guys there’s reason for optimism. Your fans know that the team might be taking its lumps now, but that brighter days are ahead once the youngsters learn the ropes. Instead, you’re seeing more of the same with the Redskins – slapping a band-aid on the problem and praying like hell you get lucky enough to stumble into the playoffs.

Here’s what I’d like to see the final three games – an all-out youth movement. Start signing any and all youngsters that are available and give them playing time instead of a guy like Roydell Williams, who clearly isn’t a long-term solution to the Redskins’ woes.

With that in mind, here are six players I’d love to see more of in the final few weeks of this disappointing 2010 season:

Will Montgomery – At 27, the fourth year pro out of Virginia Tech is the graybeard of this list. Everyone else I’ve included is 24-year-old or younger, but Montgomery makes the list because he very well may be the future starting center here in Washington.

I like Casey Rabach and fully admit he’s one of the best quotes in the Redskins locker room, but he’s also 33 and has not had the best season of his 10-year career. Rabach signed a three-year contract worth $12.3 million back in March, but I still find it hard to believe any at Redskins Park thinks he should be considered a premiere center.

When Rabach was knocked out of the game against Tennessee earlier this season, Montgomery stepped in and did an admirable job in the middle of the Redskins offensive line. So why not throw the Centreville native into the starting lineup at center and see if he can handle the pressure?

If he works out, then you can let Rabach go and start worrying about upgrading the two guard positions. If he can’t hold his own, then you can let him continue to earn a minimal salary as a backup. This makes too much sense not to happen. Of course, Shanahan is devoting his free time to debating the merits of Donovan McNabb versus Rex Grossman, so he’s clearly too busy to focus on the center position.

Click here for the full article.

Couldn't agree more, and I'd go further and have guys like Austin, Cook, Jarmon, and Blades out there to assess with serious playing time.

BTW Mr. Murphy Sir, total aside, but if I wanted to e-mail McNabb, would you know if the team would forward it on?

Hail.

*Edit* Hell, get ALL the youth out there. They **** up and we lose out, we lose out. But at least we get a look at what we have in a full speed game scenario.

I agree, murf, but we represent the minority view in this forum. The majority thinks that Mike Shanahan should put his best players on the field, regardless of age, to make an all-out effort to win out. Their rationale is that it's more important to build "momentum" going into next season. They can't define the word momentum as used in this context or offer evidence of its existence, but that doesn't seem to bother them.

Casey Rabach is being paid that much? Every time I notice the guy its not because of a great block or anything, its because he gets pushed around like he is undersized. Oh because he is undersized and can't block those huge guys that other teams have on their defensive line.

I take issue with the Fred Davis entry. They have been using him.. and when he gets an opportunity he hasn't made a play of late. How do you take away catches from Cooley if Davis doesn't make plays when he has been given some opportunities to make a name for himself?

Let's disregard last year, because we all know this is a league of what have you done for me lately.

Thanks

SKF

I agree, murf, but we represent the minority view in this forum. The majority thinks that Mike Shanahan should put his best players on the field, regardless of age, to make an all-out effort to win out. Their rationale is that it's more important to build "momentum" going into next season. They can't define the word momentum as used in this context or offer evidence of its existence, but that doesn't seem to bother them.

I'd qualify that. I believe that Shanny should be playing to win. Playing youngsters isn't throwing up the white flag, esp. when the oldsters haven't been getting it done. Has Roydell Williams been getting it done? Give Austin a shot and maybe he can? Has Rabach been getting it done? Try Montgomery. That's not throwing in the towel. That's trying and not spinning your wheels.

Keeping the same guys out there who haven't been getting it and have not been productive isn't trying to win... it's playing it safe.

Where have you read those points and determined that "the majority" of the people here want that? I've read a lot of support for playing younger players over the past couple weeks. Personally, in a perfect world, we'd be playing ALL young players within reason. But, in the real world I'd be thrilled to see 5-10 younger guys get a shot.

---------- Post added December-16th-2010 at 09:39 AM ----------

I take issue with the Fred Davis entry. They have been using him.. and when he gets an opportunity he hasn't made a play of late. How do you take away catches from Cooley if Davis doesn't make plays when he has been given some opportunities to make a name for himself?

Let's disregard last year, because we all know this is a league of what have you done for me lately.

Thanks

SKF

You take away catches from Cooley to see what you have in Davis because Davis could be a younger, cheaper, and potentially more talented option at TE. If so, you can recoup a much-needed draft pick if the right offer comes along for Cooley. Oh, and short-term success on the field (the last three games) really doesn't matter.

Only argument here, OF, is that I don't believe starting the incumbents is the playing the best players necessarily.

Take a look at the TE stats on this site and compare Davis with Cooley.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/te

---------- Post added December-16th-2010 at 09:47 AM ----------

Only argument here, OF, is that I don't believe starting the incumbents is the playing the best players necessarily.
It is when you take the incumbents as a whole because the chances that their replacements as a whole will be better is very unlikely unless Shanahan selects his starters by throwing darts at a board.

Casey Rabach is being paid that much? Every time I notice the guy its not because of a great block or anything, its because he gets pushed around like he is undersized. Oh because he is undersized and can't block those huge guys that other teams have on their defensive line.

Well, part of it is because this is an uncapped year. Also, he's not likely to see all three years.

The problem with putting Monty at center right now is the practical matter that he might be needed more at guard. Fact is, I don't know the last time Rabach played guard, but you really don't want to be doing that where you can get other players hurt. Generally, you don't want to move players along the line in mid season as much as possible. Also, I don't even know if the coaching staff views Monty as the future at center. It could be Lichtensteiger, it could be Cook, it could be someone not even on this team right now.

Davis and Harris have the same issues: they are young players who have come on this team midseason and are still trying to catch up to everyone else. I would suspect that we won't truely know what they will give us until next year, when they can have a full offseason with the team. Both will get playing time, but it would be unfair to judge based on that.

One who should be on that list is Austin, who has been on the team all year long and should be mostly up on the offense. Let's get him on the field and see what he can do.

It is when you take the incumbents as a whole because the chances that their replacements as a whole will be better is very unlikely unless Shanahan selects his starters by throwing darts at a board.

Sure... But many of the positions we're talking about I don't know that it's the case...

Roydell Williams versus Terrence Austin

Casey Rabach versus Erik Cook/Will Montgomery

Selvish Capers versus Stephen Heyer

Perry Riley versus Rocky McIntosh (this is based more on the fact that we may not have Rocky next year, rather than talent)

Kevin Barnes over Phillip Buchanon/Carlos Rogers (same as McIntosh)

But yes, in some cases, obviously the incumbent is better...

Take a look at the TE stats on this site and compare Davis with Cooley.

http://footballoutsiders.com/stats/te

I have a feeling if Davis got receptions like Cooley, his rating would drop. When they have been throwing to him, it has mostly been designed plays to get him the ball, where Cooley has often been one of many options.

Anyways, I think the person throwing the ball is more of an issue than the people catching the ball.

More like Capers versus Brown. Heyer only plays because Brown has struggled at times with health and with his play. I would guess that Brown is still trying to play his way in and the coaching staff would see that as a higher priority.

Where have you read those points and determined that "the majority" of the people here want that? I've read a lot of support for playing younger players over the past couple weeks.
http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?341470-A-Higher-Draft-Pick-Vs.-Organizational-Momentum-(Final-Three-Games)

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?341453-It-s-Dallas-week!-Keep-your-quot-tank-the-season-quot-talk-to-youself.-(Hello-!-You-play-to-win-the-game!)

Sure... But many of the positions we're talking about I don't know that it's the case...

Roydell Williams versus Terrence Austin

Casey Rabach versus Erik Cook/Will Montgomery

Perry Riley versus Rocky McIntosh (this is based more on the fact that we may not have Rocky next year, rather than talent)

Kevin Barnes over Phillip Buchanon/Carlos Rogers (same as McIntosh)

But yes, in some cases, obviously the incumbent is better...

If the majority of those younger guys are better than the incumbents then Mike Shanahan would have to be the worst judge of talent among NFL coaches. While I don't have as high an opinion of his judgment as he undoubtedly has, I think he's pretty good. So, I really doubt that we will find much help on the roster, but even one keeper is worth the search effort.

Archived