Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cliff Lee did the same thing as Lebron James! (Where's the outratge)

Parsec2010

This is why race relations are deteriorating in America. When I was at the barbershop today (Black Barbershop) this was the subject of debate. The double standard placed on White and Black athletes during the freeagnecy period. And how no-one eviscerates the notable White free agents. So I guess it's ok for MLB players to defect but not NBA?

Also, I doubt it was the ESPN one hour special, no one forced anyone to watch that. Plus it raised millions of dollars for needy children, I know that matters not, but still, I believe the benificiaries are more important then the emotional response of those people who were offended.

Trust me. It was the special.

It's like a really, really annoying frat. Sure, they'll do some nice charity work; but that doesn't change the fact that they run around, promoting themselves and doing whatever they can to get everyone's attention.

This is why race relations are deteriorating in America. When I was at the barbershop today (Black Barbershop) this was the subject of debate. The double standard placed on White and Black athletes during the freeagnecy period. And how no-one eviscerates the notable White free agents. So I guess it's ok for MLB players to defect but not NBA?

Also, I doubt it was the ESPN one hour special, no one forced anyone to watch that. Plus it raised millions of dollars for needy children, I know that matters not, but still, I believe the benificiaries are more important then the emotional response of those people who were offended.

Let me break it down for you. Race is always going to be an issue in society. Did race play a role in how some people viewed Lebron post Decision? Absolutely. Was it the driving force behind the reaction that he received? No, it wasn't. He handled that situation very poorly, and when you handle a situation the way he did, people are going to react negatively to it, no matter what color you are. And there many ways to give back to charity, other than by way of a one hour reality show. Sorry...

This is incredibly frustrating. There is a double standard, but the comparison just doesn't work. People are not angry about the defection . They are angry about how it was done.

This is incredibly frustrating. There is a double standard, but the comparison just doesn't work. People are not angry about the defection . They are angry about how it was done.

Yet people still want to say that race is the main motivator behind this.

Seriouisly, folks. Why don't you talk to some black merchants in Clevelands or black Cavs fan. See how they feel about it? I promise you, there's no love from them toward Lebron, either.

Well, there's only room for one. I think at this point, we've expected this kind of childish behavior from Farve. To have a 1 hour special announcing your departure from your home state, and from a city you promised, YOU PROMISED, to bring a championship to is low. It's oh, so low.

Did he promise Cleveland a championship? If he did, he is not the first to fail to live up to a promise.

---------- Post added December-16th-2010 at 12:41 AM ----------

Yet people still want to say that race is the main motivator behind this.

Seriouisly, folks. Why don't you talk to some black merchants in Clevelands or black Cavs fan. See how they feel about it? I promise you, there's no love from them toward Lebron, either.

Yes, I do tend to think race was the main motivator. The outrage was so over the top and ridiculous. You mean Lebron was a narcissistic seeking attention whore, Newsflash : a lot of athletes are. It's a part of the culture.

Did he promise Cleveland a championship? If he did, he is not the first to fail to live up to a promise.

Yes, I do tend to think race was the main motivator. The outrage was so over the top and ridiculous. You mean Lebron was a narcissistic seeking attention whore, Newsflash : a lot of athletes are. It's simple a part of the culture.

Newsflash: It wasn't race.

If it was, people would still be going crazy over Michael Vick. They don't.

It was the douche tv special, and the attention whoring.

Yes, I do tend to think race was the main motivator.

Yeah.

That or the fact that one guy has had trouble deciding whether or not his body can handle another season, and another, and maybe still another of the sport he loves; and the other said, "Watch me Clevetown, while I hold a one-hour special dedicated to telling y'all you can kiss off."

I've kind of learned over the years that if I care too much about who my favorite athletes are off the field/court, I won't have many favorite athletes. I mean for God's sake. Art Monk played for two other teams when he thought he could keep going, and the team that drafted him was ready to move on. If y'all really want to lump something like that in with what LeBron did, I truly don't know what to tell you.

Oh, and I love Monk and hate LeBron AND Favre. For whatever that's worth.

Yes, I do tend to think race was the main motivator. The outrage was so over the top and ridiculous. You mean Lebron was a narcissistic seeking attention whore, Newsflash : a lot of athletes are. It's a part of the culture.

Funny how Michael Jordan is one of the most revered athletes on the planet and one of the richest.

But Lebron is getting dissed because of race :ols:

OK, no, it's because he is a douche bag.

I don't believe so, if Lebron never did that one hour special he would still be hated.

"I got a goal...and that's to bring an NBA championship to Cleveland; and I won't stop 'till I get it."

Don't get the impression I'm singling out Lebron. He's just part of a long line of sports personalities that didn't keep their word.

And no, he wasn't; but that doesn't excuse him from this. I mean, try mentioning the name "Robert Irsay" in Baltimore. Hell, they got another team AND another Lombardi, and that name still stings for the promise he broke; and that was in 1983.

Art Model? Need I say more?

It's just that he's the most recent guy to do it. Plus, it's not like Cliff Lee told anyone "hey, I'm gonna make it my life's goal to bring this city a championship." He played for...what4 teams already? The Mariners, the Indians, the Phillies, the Rangers, and now the Phillies again.

Lebron, on the other hand, was Ohio's home grown talent and he said it himself that he was going to bring that title to Cleveland and that "he wouldn't stop" until it happened. Lee never said such a thing. He's just a pitcher (albeit a very talented one) who's been shopped around Major League Baseball like most other players.

Edit: And I'm so glad other posters have pointed this out. Michael Jordan is a national freaking hero and he's black. Furthermore, he left the Bulls only to reappear in Washington (of all places). Jim Brown? Considered the greatest NFL player in history by most. Before it turned out he was a horn dog, Tiger Woods was a demi-god.

Should I go on? We could be here all night listing revered black athletes in the D.C. area alone, much less the whole country.

This is a statement I agree 100% with.

It was the douche tv special, and the attention whoring.

Yes, the attention whoring is why he received so much flak. The thing is black athletes tend to receive more flak by fans and the media when they commit crimes/or misbehave compared to their white counterparts. I suspect you don't agree with that. Look there are different levels of racism. I don't believe it's intentional. Rather is more benign and unconscious.

I don't believe so, if Lebron never did that one hour special he would still be hated.

Well he may be disliked, but I honestly don't think anyone would react ( worldwide ) with the amount of vitriol they did, if he simply gave Dan Gilbert a call, informed him of his intentions, and simply declared that he was signing with Miami, without doing the Decision.

Yes, the attention whoring is why he received so much flak. The thing is black athletes tend to receive more flak by fans and the media when they commit crimes/or misbehave compared to their white counterparts. I suspect you don't agree with that. Look there are different levels of racism. I don't believe it's intentional. Rather is more benign and unconscious.

No Favre is a douche as well. But call a spade a spade.

Yeah.

That or the fact that one guy has had trouble deciding whether or not his body can handle another season, and another, and maybe still another of the sport he loves; and the other said, "Watch me Clevetown, while I hold a one-hour special dedicated to telling y'all you can kiss off."

I've kind of learned over the years that if I care too much about who my favorite athletes are off the field/court, I won't have many favorite athletes. I mean for God's sake. Art Monk played for two other teams when he thought he could keep going, and the team that drafted him was ready to move on. If y'all really want to lump something like that in with what LeBron did, I truly don't know what to tell you.

Oh, and I love Monk and hate LeBron AND Favre. For whatever that's worth.

I am sorry, but I find that take on Farve incredibly naive. I want to be clear. I am not defending Lebron here. He is a douche. I just found the reaction to his douchiness ridiculous and over the top.

The thing is black athletes tend to receive more flak by fans and the media when they commit crimes/or misbehave compared to their white counterparts.

I'd love to discuss this in detail if you want to throw out an apples-to-apples comparison.

*edit* BTW, who here wants Leonard Little hit by a bus besides me? Who here knows why without googling it? Seriously.

"I got a goal...and that's to bring an NBA championship to Cleveland; and I won't stop 'till I get it."

Don't get the impression I'm singling out Lebron. He's just part of a long line of sports personalities that didn't keep their word.

And no, he wasn't; but that doesn't excuse him from this. I mean, try mentioning the name "Robert Irsay" in Baltimore. Hell, they got another team AND another Lombardi, and that name still stings for the promise he broke; and that was in 1983.

Art Model? Need I say more?

It's just that he's the most recent guy to do it. Plus, it's not like Cliff Lee told anyone "hey, I'm gonna make it my life's goal to bring this city a championship." He played for...what4 teams already? The Mariners, the Indians, the Phillies, the Rangers, and now the Phillies again.

Lebron, on the other hand, was Ohio's home grown talent and he said it himself that he was going to bring that title to Cleveland and that "he wouldn't stop" until it happened. Lee never said such a thing. He's just a pitcher (albeit a very talented one) who's been shopped around Major League Baseball like most other players.

Edit: And I'm so glad other posters have pointed this out. Michael Jordan is a national freaking hero and he's black. Furthermore, he left the Bulls only to reappear in Washington (of all places). Jim Brown? Considered the greatest NFL player in history by most. Before it turned out he was a horn dog, Tiger Woods was a demi-god.

Should I go on? We could be here all night listing revered black athletes in the D.C. area alone, much less the whole country.

I understand the Cleveland reaction ( on many levels justified), it was the rest of the country's reaction that I found puzzling.

Really? What team did Lee defect from? The Rangers? The team he had only been with for a few months? The team he had almost no history with? To go to a team that he was familiar with?

Dude, go learn baseball. That's how free agency in the sport works.

hey, did you know that Carl Crawford, one of the best black players in the game, "defected" and went to Boston? Oh the outrage!!!!!!!!

The special was by far the reason that people hate LeBron. No doubt about it. Who cares about the charity? If LeBron really cared that much about the kids, he would have written the check himself.

It's people like YOU who are killing race relations in this country. People who cry racism every time a black guy is treated differently. Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf?

Grow up.

Archived