Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Dallas week! Keep your "tank the season" talk to youself. (Hello?!? You play to win the game!)

s0crates

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I think it all started with that conspiracy thread. You know the one. http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?341057-Andrew-Luck-theory-After-the-bye-did-Shanahan-tank-the-Redskins-season-on-purpose-Was-there-hidden-purpose-in-the-McNabb-extension&highlight=andrew+luck

Redskins fans can always be counted on to overreact when somebody says something about a quarterback. Serioiusly though guys, we have gone too far with this.

There is this group of fans, and I use the word "fans" very loosely here, who want us to tank the season for a better draft pick or something. Somebody dubbed these folks "tankers," a perfectly fitting monicker in my opinion.

I've been hearing a lot of this lately. Let me show you what I mean:

Tank job is in full effect. Shanahan will make sure Dallas doesn't get a better draft pick than us.
I may end up wanting Washington to lose to Dallas for the first time in my 44 year life. We need the higher draft picks. :(
It doesn't matter, a win doesn't mean anything. Two sucky teams playing each other. I'm surprised that it'll even be televised in the local area lol.
So you hate them, more than you want to win in the future?

Who cares about Dallas? Screw Dallas. You want the best players possible in the upcoming draft.

I doubt many people are actively ROOTING for us to lose, but I don't think most will MIND if we do. I hardly batted an eye when we botched the kick last week. It worked out pretty well for us the last two years when we tanked down the stretch and got Rak and Trent. If we manage to move ahead of Dallas, thats a good player that they don't have the chance to draft.
I'll take a higher draft pick over a meaningless W over Dallas. Think with your brains my fellow Skins fans.

This is only a small sampling. There are tons of simliar posts. Now, normally I would not start a thread about ESer's off-the-wall comments, because the fact that a lot of 'skins fans are totally bonkers is hardly news-worthy, but this is Dallas week for God's sake.

We have before us an opportunity to sweep the freaking Dallas Cowboys! We lost every division game last year, and this year we have a chance to sweep Dallas. Let me say it one more time, Sweep Dallas!

Dallas? Yeah, that Dallas. You know, our archrivals. If you cannot see the magnitude of this game . . . Seriously?!?

I am at a loss for words.

If you want us to lose this game, I think you are not much of a fan. If you think Shanahan would purposely lose, I think you are out of your mind.

In closing, I leave you with the immortal words of Herm Edwards:

IMk5sMHj58I?fs=1&hl=en_US

This is our regular season Super Bowl right here. Hail!!!

I agree with the sentiment of the thread, but using this phrasing is why Dallas fans use our hate of their team as proof that we are mediocre, if not lousy.

Not saying its right or fair, but they are usually the ones who say "this is your superbowl, because you don't have the chance for a real one".

Luckily, this year neither do they :ols:

I agree with the sentiment of the thread, but using this phrasing is why Dallas fans use our hate of their team as proof that we are mediocre, if not lousy.

Not saying its right or fair, but they are usually the ones who say "this is your superbowl, because you don't have the chance for a real one".

I might point out that we have won more playoff games than them in the last decade. Also, and more importantly, I don't care what Dallas fans think.

The reason we hate Dallas is because Dallas sucks. Oh, and another thing . . .

:wewantd:

. . . get with the program here!

When was the last time those tards had a chance at a Superbowl? Those Brokebacks can go *&*& themselves.

Dallas fans are stupid. If they wanted something that proved our team sucked all they have to do is look at our record.

I am not sure why, but I am not feeling excited for this game. Not because I don't want the Skins to stomp the pig **** out of dallas but the almost certainty that the reverse will happen. I would love for the Skins to to sweep them. I would love for the Skins to pound dallas into the turf of their wretched new stadium. Every year except this one, I would be bursting with anticipation of this game, and harboring hopes of a sweep. But the Skins have disappointed too many times for too long. To be honest, after the way last year ended I am surprised I was able to get up for the first game this year.

I hope the Skins will win, but it doesn't feel like dallas week to me, it just feels like one more week of fail.

I don't care if they win or lose. I want them to win. I always WANT them to win. I cheer for them to win. But do I expect a win? hell no. Do I care if they lose? No. At this point in the season it doesn't matter and I wouldn't mind being a step closer to getting Luck.

On that note. **** Dallas. If we win great. If we lose, great.

**** Dallas! Plain and simple, I hate that team. Lets sweep them so at least we accomplished something this season we can look back on. The Skins have ripped and stomped on my heart all year, they owe me something good. Lets get these brooms out again and sweep those silver and blue stars outta here.

I don't care if they win or lose. I want them to win. I always WANT them to win. I cheer for them to win. But do I expect a win? hell no. Do I care if they lose? No. At this point in the season it doesn't matter and I wouldn't mind being a step closer to getting Luck.

Hello?!?

Didn't you hear Herm?

You play to win the game! You don't play to just play it.

That's the great thing about sports, you play to win, and I don't care if you don't have any wins, you go play to win.

If you start telling me it doesn't matter, then retire, get out! Because it matters.

This whole conversation bothers me.

I think this pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

Socrates (and I use that term loosely), every year this comes up.

Two years ago: "Don't lose to San Fran! Who cares about picking up to 7 spots higher!!! Win this meaningless game! You aren't a real fan." Then we get Orakpo.

Last seaon: "Let's win them out, and build momentum for the future! Who cares if neither JC nor Zorn will be here next season!" And then we get Trent Williams.

It's no different this year. Like hundreds before you, you too will come to your senses as the draft approaches.

Two years ago: "Don't lose to San Fran! Who cares about picking up to 7 spots higher!!! Win this meaningless game! You aren't a real fan." Then we get Orakpo.

Last seaon: "Let's win them out, and build momentum for the future! Who cares if neither JC nor Zorn will be here next season!" And then we get Trent Williams.

It's no different this year. Like hundreds before you, you too will come to your senses as the draft approaches.

Someone didn't read the title.

2009, 7 spots below us are Center Alex Mack and WR Percy Harvin, OT Michael Oher. 2010 its too soon to call, but good options were avialable lower also.

If you can't find a good player 7 spots lower in the first then you shouldn't be drafting for a team.

---------- Post added December-15th-2010 at 01:45 AM ----------

And then again, some never learn. See above.

See your entire post history on ES.

Nice attitude from a guy who's been given the nickname "perpetual fail"

I gotta give you props for one thing McD5, you are the first tanker to come to the defense of the tankers in my anti-tanker thread. Actually, I will even give you props for two things, that was funny how you used my pun against me.

Still, I think you need to listen to Herm again.

If you are not convinced by Herm's argument, and you do not care how much this means to the fans, and you disregard what it could mean for the team's confidence moving forward; that is, if it really is all about the draft for you, and not the game itself, then I offer you the following argument:

High draft picks can be busts. (i.e. Heath Shuler).

Low draft picks can be Hall of Famers. (i.e. Tom Brady).

Therefore, successful drafts have more to do with who you pick then when you pick.

And for what its worth, Herm is right, you do play to win the game. It does matter. It matters to the fans and the team.

This is Dallas week. You gotta get up for this week in this town.

Someone didn't read the title.

If you can't find a good player 7 spots lower in the first then you shouldn't be drafting for a team.

---------- Post added December-15th-2010 at 01:45 AM ----------

A center in the first round? Really? No thanks.

Percy Harvin, a star, but right after we had blown our 2nd round in a previous draft on Kelly and D Thomas? To pick yet another WR? Nope. That's not realistic at all.

Michael Oher would have been a great one.

And 2010? Look who was taken right behind us. No thanks.

The bottom line is that a higher pick is 10x more desirable than a win in a meaningless game. Both in the ability to choose any player you like, or to trade that higher valued pick to another team.

It's also why my thread "Thank God We Lost To San Francisco" went 90 pages or so years ago. And this one is on page 2.

98% of the fan base has learned, and now just silently nods in approval.

I don't get how you can praise Betts for solid work ethic, playing hard, and being committed to the team, when you yourself wish for the team to tank games just to gain draft position. You think Betts would be ok with purposely losing games just to ge a higher draft spot? If we have players that are ok with losing games from here on out, I don't want them on the team.

---------- Post added December-15th-2010 at 02:02 AM ----------

A center in the first round? Really? No thanks.

Percy Harvin, a star, but right after we had blown our 2nd round in a previous draft on Kelly and D Thomas? To pick yet another WR? Nope. That's not realistic at all.

Michael Oher would have been a great one.

And 2010? Look who was taken right behind us. No thanks.

The bottom line is that a higher pick is 10x more desirable than a win in a meaningless game. Both in the ability to choose any player you like, or to trade that higher valued pick to another team.

It's also why my thread "Thank God We Lost To San Francisco" went 90 pages or so years ago. And this one is on page 2.

98% of the fan base has learned, and now just silently nods in approval.

Totally missed the point. Would you like to bring up every single good player picked below us that has been good. You want to try and diminish them one by one also?

Again, if you can't find a good player in the 1st, regardless of where you pick, then you shouldn't be drafting for an NFL team.

Your thread got to 90 pages because you were advocating that the Redskins lose a game on a Redskins message board.

You think a 5-11 team or an 8-8 team has a better chance at reaching the playoffs the following season?

Can you name a single head coach in the NFL that would agree with you in tanking games?

Archived