Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP RI - Santana Moss: "I'm just getting tired of it"

HapHaszard

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/santana-moss/santana-moss-im-just-getting-t.html#more

By Barry Svrluga

With nine seconds remaining Sunday, veteran receiver Santana Moss had every right to believe he had scored the game-tying touchdown against Tampa Bay. The Redskins had pulled within a point, and all that remained was the extra point to tie.

What happened next has already been well-documented - long-snapper Nick Sundberg sent the snap a bit high, and punter Hunter Smith couldn't get it down. The Redskins lost, 17-16, and afterward Moss - in his sixth season with the team - made it clear how frustrated he is.

"It's your job to come out here and play this game of football," Moss said, occasionally halting in his speech. "When you're playing this game, you're playing this game to win. Somebody got to win; somebody got to lose. But when you're just losing, and you know that you had a chance to win - I ain't talking about the last play. I'm just talking about throughout the game, throughout the years, throughout the weeks, throughout this year.

"When you're losing and you ain't got no say-so why," and he paused for several seconds. "That's why it hurts. That's why I feel the way I feel, because I'm just getting tired of it. Everybody play for their own perspective and their own reasons, but I put too much in it, and it means too much."

In his time with the Redskins, Moss has enjoyed two winning seasons - both under Joe Gibbs. And he is familiar with a theme that permeates Washington's locker room: The talent is there, but they haven't put it together. Whether that is true or not, Moss is 31 years old, and he realizes chances for sustained success are being frittered away.

click on the link to continue reading

Well, he's right.

And unfortunately, and I mean that because I really, really like Santana... It may be time to part with him for both the organization's sake and his. But out of all the guys on this team, Moss is the hardest for me to say get rid of. Played in a proper role with a proper #1 receiver and the ability to line him up in the slot he could be an absolute monster. He's good without a #1.

But, it may be time. :(

I get that he's tired of it.. We all are.. But he's had his share of missed opps to make something happen as well.. He's another one I hope we trade for a pick or two.. Anyone on the team who's been here long enough to feel the suck, needs to be moved on imo.. This club needs a fresh start w/o the bad mojo and loosing mentality..

You don't part ways with him unless he's part of the problem, and he's not. That's just getting rid of him for getting rid of him's sake, it doesn't make this team any better.

But I liked his quote about being close. He basically gave the bird to playing hard and being close but coming up short, they need to be winning.

Santana is always saying the right things but he part of the problem. Take this game for example, he catches a potential game-tying TD. What's he going to do next week? No one knows. One game he's at his best and another he play just as poorly as the rest of the offense.

The die hards like most of us on here feel every loss too!!! But I here what he is saying, time is running out for alot of the players on this team, and it is a shame because alot of them do put in the effort and put it all out on the field every week, and it still dosent pan out for them, its gotta be tough!

Sad state of affairs our Skins are in. Heard Moss, he was pissed using profanity and such. But its been a bit refreshing hearing comments from Moss. Cooley, Daniels, Hall and Fletcher of late. Admitting this team is flawed. They hurt. And its sad because it seems that there's nothing they can do to end this misery. And I just don't get it. Are they short of heart? Just not that talented to execute effective football? Yes they are rebuilding but why in the meantime play such inept inconsistent football for all to see?

I don't get it. Just a lost cause. depressing. :(

I would like to keep Moss, but if he approached Bruce and asked to go to a contender at the end of his career I would be okay giving him that chance and trading him for a low round pick.

I still think he could be an awesome slot WR if we got a true #1.

Santana is always saying the right things but he part of the problem. Take this game for example, he catches a potential game-tying TD. What's he going to do next week? No one knows. One game he's at his best and another he play just as poorly as the rest of the offense.

you have summed it up best

he has not been constient Imo since his pro bowl years

. He has one of the best disappearing acts in nfl games east of las vegas

He really does deserve better, I too think it is time for us to part ways with him. He's a great guy and could be a very very dangerous weapon on a team that actually knows how to use him.

I think he deserves to finish out his career with a team that is a winner... very much unlike the Redskins.

I can understand it, but the attitude is also part of the problem. Heck, even on our level I just couldn't believe how overwhelmingly negative we were in the game thread during the first half. Instead of celebrating Torain or ouur best defensive effort in a long, long time... there was overwhelming condemnation, anger, and despair. This cloud allows or makes it easier for the fourth quarter collapses because the concentration falls apart just so much, players get tighter expecting even routine plays like extra points to go wrong.

The die hards like most of us on here feel every loss too!!! But I here what he is saying, time is running out for alot of the players on this team, and it is a shame because alot of them do put in the effort and put it all out on the field every week, and it still dosent pan out for them, its gotta be tough!

We've wasted quite a few careers sadly. I can't imagine going through the offseason, going through the grind, putting your body through all it takes to be an NFL player, only to lose more often than not, often in devastating fashion, for years on end.

Well, he's right.

And unfortunately, and I mean that because I really, really like Santana... It may be time to part with him for both the organization's sake and his. But out of all the guys on this team, Moss is the hardest for me to say get rid of. Played in a proper role with a proper #1 receiver and the ability to line him up in the slot he could be an absolute monster. He's good without a #1.

But, it may be time. :(

KDawg I couldn't agree more with your sentiment here...Moss is a borderline #1 but would be a beastly #2/slot WR...It's just a shame that more hasn't been done to support the guys who can actually play or to put guys into the proper roles that would allow them to flourish...

Honestly Moss is one of the older players that you keep IMO...he has never been a cancer or locker room problem and he still has some good yrs left in him...

Archived