Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Trent Williams after 12 games

gchwood

So after reading everything about AH, I decided I was sick of it and wanted to focus on the team we actually have. People have talked about how bad Shanahan/Allen have been at assessing talent, but I actually disagree with those sentiments so far with the Skins.

When everyone (pundits and myself included) thought that the Skins should draft Russell Okung at the #4 spot in this past draft, they went with Trent Williams. Obliviously hindsight is 20/20 and Okung got hurt in Seattle, but I have seen something special with Trent Williams.

He is the best O Lineman we have on the team, especially considering the revolving doors of Stephon Heyer, Kory Lichtensteiger, and Casey Rabach. When healthy Jamal Brown has been ok, but not nearly the probowler he was 2 years ago. And Artis Hicks is servicable (when not being called for penalties).

My question to you all is what is your thoughts of Trent "Silverback" Williams? Was this the best decision at #4 after 12 games? If not, who would you have taken and why?

I personally was thrilled with the way he handle Demarcus Ware in his first start. That showed me tons. I still see him getting beat on speed rushers a bit, but I think as he works on his footwork, he will do much better against them as well.

He look good...really good and playing against, Pepers, Tuck, Ware, Cole, Allen, Williams and other top passrushers really makes him a better player.

In space he looks amazing. Most of his strugles are in the running game, somethimes his push isn´t great.

I wouldn´t take a other player, he looks like a good fit.

He was asked to play against some very good players this year without much support around him. He wore down a bit as the season wore on, but he continued to play and play hard. He got bear by some veteran moves this year, but I think he will continue to mature and improve technique and footwork to be a mainstay on the line for years.

He has been one of the few bright spots on this team, looks like a long term fix on the line, his health concerns me a little though the transition from college to the pros has to wear on a rookie. Now we just need 4 more O-linemen and we are set.

Loved the play of Williams. At first when the pick was made I was a little nervous we took Trent over Russell but I tell you what after watching Russell in Seattle we did make the better fit for our scheme. The play that sticks in my mind so far with Trent is the play where he took one of the dallas players and drove him out of bounds on a play. That was the first time where I said "wow!" he's going to be something special

DeMarcus Ware

Mario williams

Dwight Freeney

Kyle Vandenbosch

Trent Cole

and many others...

He's faced a hell of a murderer's row in his first season. He's done very well.

He's made a few rookie mistakes, but overall I've been VERY impressed with his play, his attitude, and his desire to succeed.

An EXCELLENT choice to begin rebuilding this team.

~Bang

I don't think you're going to hear any bad words from any of us about Trent. He's been slowed down by injuries and by a rookie mistake here and there, but the dude is a solid talent worth the high pick and money we gave him. He's a wonderful successor to Samuels, and I imagine him having a relatively similar career, lots of pro bowls, and creating opportunities for our skills players if we can book end him with another good, young tackle (A la Samuels/Jansen in their primes) or a nice, talented guard.

he's been better than expected IMO. Another top flight OL'man in next year's draft (I don't really care what position on the line) will make us that much better. If we can grab a legit FA C/G next year we may have significanlty improved our OL.

Again, i think some of the guys we have now can be serviceable back-ups for a game or two, here or there. But we need legit starters in there who can maul their opponents. I think (and hope) that with our 1st pick in next year's draft that we again address the OL, but if the quality isn't there when we pick, a DL'man (preferably NT) would be the next best thing.

I do agree that we should not reach for a player at whatever spot we draft in, however we need to balance that with a need, and because we have plenty of needs I guess we should have a few different options that could make sense.

I'd have to check stats to see if this is accurate, but my impression is that his pass protection has far exceeded his run blocking. But overall, I'd say he's had a pretty good rookie season. Barring injuriny, LT should be set for the next decade or so, which is great.

There is no other option at pick #4. We had to go offensive line and therefore it was down to Trent and Okung.

We definitely made the right choice there. Look for Williams to improve the rest of the season and onto next year with more experience under his belt. Now we just need to put the other pieces on the line next to him.

I am just very glad that we have him, and now we can focus on bringing in the WR's RB's and QB's that he needs to be successful, and we don't have to focus on drafting any more boring OL positions.

/sarcasm

lmao oh my god. Dude I was about to go off on you. You got me good lol.

Archived