Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I met Marty Schottenheimer tonight at my Nephews Pee Wee League Game

pjfootballer

Hey guys,

I went to my Great Nephew's last Pee Wee League game (7 to 9 yr olds) and they live in Harrisburg, NC, just outside of Charlotte and I met Marty Schottenheimer.

The game had just ended and my Neice's husband said, "P.J., look at that guy over there and tell me who he reminds you of. He looks similar to Marty Schottenheimer." I said, "he doesn't look like Marty Schottenheimer, it is Marty Schottenheimer." One of the other kid's father was right behind me and went up and asked him, "Are you Marty Schottenheimer?" He said, "Yes I am."

It turns out his grandson plays on the, get this, Mallard Creek "Chargers." My nephew plays on the Harrisburg "Cowboys" (And my Newphew wears his Redskins shirt underneath his jersey. He hates playing on a team called the Cowboys.

Anyway, my mom and I introduced ourselves and we got to talk to him for about 10 minutes. My mom asked his wife it was OK to talk to him and do people do this all the time and she said it was fine, she was used to people coming up to him and "he loves it.":ols:

Him and I talked about his one season here and he said he wish he could have had another season, but it wasn't in the cards for him. He said he had Jeff George start that season and then chuckled after mentioning his name. I told him that it was great when we went 8-3 down the stretch with Tony Banks and he was really surprised I remembered all that.

I wanted to let you know a couple of things he did tell my mom and me about the Redskins now. He said he loved working for Dan Snyder and he said that "Dan" is so passionate about the Redskins that he'll do anything to get us to the Super Bowl. Marty said that the problem is, he has been listening to people who are bad for his team. Without even asking him who they are, he said "You know I got Vinny fired don't you?" I said, "Yeah but he brought him back from the crapheap after you left." He laughed about that. Quite frankly he couldn't stop talking about how bad of an influence Vinny was on Dan and almost couldn't stop talking about it.

I mentioned to him that Vinny's 2008 draft of 10 picks left us with only 1 player from that draft and he said, "wow, are you kidding?" He also mentioned he talked to someone he knew at Notre Dame and they pretty much told him to get rid of Vinny at all costs because he was a bad influence.

When we finally got him to stop talking about Vinny, my mom asked him about the current state of the Redskins and what he thouhgt. He said for me to tell Redskins fans that Mike (he kept calling him Mike) would bring us back to being a good team and we need to give him time. He said all his players in Denver loved him and respected him. He said "I coached against him twice a year in SD and he is really tought to scheme against once he gets the program going." I mentioned that I was happy that Snyder gave the "football" guys control of the team and he said Bruce Allen is a real good front office guy to have and just give these guys time.

He did say he was perplexed about the McNabb situation, but said Mike is always trying to be secretive to the media. The other kids dad asked him if he will return to coaching and he said, "Nah, I'm 67 and I enjoy watching the grandkids." Then his grandson came up and he talked to my Nephew and gave him some words of encouragement. My Nephew thought it was so cool that he talked to him. Then I said thanks for talking coach. He said nice to meet some good Redskins fans.

That was about it. Oh the Chargers beat the Cowboys 36-26. We ended the season 2-8. Just as bad as the real Cowboys.:ols:

give that kid a high five for us for representing the skins anyway!

He HATES having to be a Cowboy. He wears his Cooley jersey in practice. He'll be at the game Monday with my mom. His first Redskins game ever. He is soooo stoked. If you are in section 428, you may be able to give him a high five at the game. But if you can't, I'll give him one.

Really surprised the hell out of me to see him there. His wife is nice and said to mom that she hated football until she met Marty and now she loves every Sunday watching the games. I was rocking my Redskins R-feather cap also.

I like how he gave us some insight on Vinny (I think he really hates the dude), Shanahan and Dan. He truly believes Mike will turn it around for us as long as we give them time.

He HATES having to be a Cowboy. He wears his Cooley jersey in practice. He'll be at the game Monday with my mom. His first Redskins game ever. He is soooo stoked. If you are in section 428, you may be able to give him a high five at the game. But if you can't, I'll give him one.

yeah man im stuck in central illinois now.... i have never been to a game so i am jealous. but yeah give him a high five for me...

and thanks for the read. im glad you had the oppurtunity to meet Marty and he actually took the time to be so candid..... thanks for sharing

No problem sharing the story. First time I've met an athlete/coach. Funny, my wife called me just as I was talking to Marty. She called twice and left a voice mail asking if I was staying up there to eat dinner or coming home. I called her back after talking with Marty and said "Sorry sweety, I was talking with Marty Schottenheimer and couldn't pick up the phone." My wife is from Peru and had no idea who I was talking about.

Marty said that the problem is, he has been listening to people who are bad for his team. Without even asking him who they are, he said "You know I got Vinny fired don't you?" I said, "Yeah but he brought him back from the crapheap after you left." He laughed about that. Quite frankly he couldn't stop talking about how bad of an influence Vinny was on Dan and almost couldn't stop talking about it.

I mentioned to him that Vinny's 2008 draft of 10 picks left us with only 1 player from that draft and he said, "wow, are you kidding?" He also mentioned he talked to someone he knew at Notre Dame and they pretty much told him to get rid of Vinny at all costs because he was a bad influence.

Sort of re-enforces my personal nickname for Vinny... Wormtongue

46207-161086-TheTwoTowersWormtongueAndKingTheodenjpg-620x.jpg

I wish I could have the chance to meet him. I would tell him about what a disastrous move it was to fire him and bring in an unproven college coach like Spurrier. I can honestly say, that was a move I was livid about the day it happened. You don't end a season the way Marty did and lose your job. I enjoyed Coach Gibbs 2nd stint, but that would never have happened had Marty been left alone. I really believe that man would have made us a contender for years, and we probably would have Lombardi #4 by now.

Archived