Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Jerry Jones heard from Super coaches

tr1

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5795997&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines

IRVING, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said Super Bowl-winning coaches have contacted him about becoming his next head coach, but he hinted that he hopes interim coach Jason Garrett will earn the job on a permanent basis.

"I will say that before I made the decision with Wade Phillips, I had Super Bowl-winning coaches solicit this job," Jones said during his weekly appearance on KRLD-FM.

Jones, who fired Phillips Monday after the Cowboys fell to 1-7, did not elaborate which coaches had contacted him or whether he intended to pursue any of the available coaches with Super Bowl rings -- a group that includes Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, Brian Billick and Tony Dungy.

Jones cut off a follow-up question, suggesting it'd be inappropriate to discuss the issue three days after appointing Garrett as the interim coach.

Dungy said Friday that had no interest in the Cowboys job.

"I'm not interested. But you never know what's going to happen or who's going to call," Dungy told The Dan Patrick Show. "... I do think it's a better job than people think. It would be somebody like me, but it wouldn't be me.

"[Jones] needs a Bill Cowher or Jon Gruden or Mike Holmgren. Those are the kind of guys he needs. All three of those guys would be pretty good right now."

When Jones introduced Garrett as the interim coach Monday, he emphasized that Garrett would be strongly considered as a long-term candidate if the Cowboys showed promise in the second half of the season. Jones said Friday that Garrett won't necessarily be judged by how many wins the Cowboys have the remainder of the season.

"It's a huge challenge for our team and, of course, a huge challenge for Jason," Jones said. "If he can meet this challenge square on and he can pull his nose up, if he can do things that you see that direction, then that's going to be impressive. Very few people have ever come into a coaching situation with any more challenges.

"We all know his qualities. He's from a great football background. He's got a great background with the Cowboys. I know what he's capable of, his demeanor, how he carries himself, how he approaches. I know all of those things. There's no stranger here for me in Jason Garrett. How the team responds, what we can do on a player-by-player basis, all of those things will weigh into it. I do not have a won-loss percentage in mind or a number of wins that impact what I do in the future."

Garrett was one of 11 coaches who interviewed with Jones after Bill Parcells resigned following the 2006 season. Jones hired Garrett, who won three Super Bowl rings with the Cowboys as Troy Aikman's backup, as the offensive coordinator before hiring Phillips.

Garrett added the assistant head coach title and was made the highest-paid assistant coach in the league after the 2007 season, when he turned down an offer to become the Baltimore Ravens' head coach.

More From ESPN Dallas

Everything you need to know about Dallas' game against the NY Giants can be found in our Cowboys Center.

• Check out the Cowboys Report • Cowboys Midseason Report

He was also strongly pursued by the Atlanta Falcons that winter. Jones said Friday that Garrett, who also interviewed with the St. Louis Rams and Denver Broncos, has turned down three offers to become a head coach in the past three years.

Jones, who said that Parcells solicited the Cowboys' job in 2003, expects that there will be great interest again in the Dallas vacancy.

However, he made it clear he's more concerned about finding the right fit than hiring a coach with a résumé that will impress fans.

"John Madden told me the Cowboys do not need a big-name coach," Jones said. "The Cowboys have a big name. What the Cowboys need is a good coach."

Just When I Thought I Was Out...

Jerry Jones said the Cowboys' coaching job has drawn interest from Super Bowl-winning former coaches, but stopped short of disclosing names. Tony Dungy has said he isn't one of them. A look back at the others, through 1985:

Ex-team Championships

Bill Cowher Steelers 2005-06

Jon Gruden Buccaneers 2002-03

Brian Billick Ravens 2000-01

Dick Vermeil Rams 1999-2000

Mike Holmgren Packers 1996-97

Barry Switzer Cowboys 1995-96

Jimmy Johnson Cowboys 1992-93, 1993-94

Joe

Gibbs Redskins 1991-92, 1987-88, 1982-83

Bill Parcells Giants 1986-87, 1990-91

Mike Ditka Bears 1985-86

It has to be Billick.

I can't see the intense and stubborn Cowher working for Skeletor.

Chucky has reiterated that he loves his MNF gig and has no plans to return.

Dick Vermeil is 74

Holmgren is working on rebuilding the Browns

Jimmie Johnson has small penis commercials to film

Barry Switzer is 73

Tony Dungy has said he is not interested

Joe Gibbs? :ols:

Bill Parcells? Naw, he's been there done that and has the scars to prove it.

Or Jerruh is just lying.

It has to be Billick.

I can't see the intense and stubborn Cowher working for Skeletor.

Chucky has reiterated that he loves his MNF gig and has no plans to return.

Dick Vermeil is 74

Holmgren is working on rebuilding the Browns

Jimmie Johnson has small penis commercials to film

Barry Switzer is 73

Tony Dungy has said he is not interested

Joe Gibbs? :ols:

Bill Parcells? Naw, he's been there done that and has the scars to prove it.

Or Jerruh is just lying.

bingo.

He's trying to generate hype for next year already lol :yes:..."Hey, everyone, don't worry about how much we suck this year, because I have Super Bowl-winning head coaches who all want to coach America's Team!! Yeeeee-haw!!

When the pukes have a half empty stadium in their next few games at home, I only hope the networks don't have any problem panning the stands.

Because the only biggest quitters other than the pukes are the pukes' fans.

:rotflmao:

When the pukes have a half empty stadium in their next few games at home, I only hope the networks don't have any problem panning the stands.

Because the only biggest quitters other than the pukes are the pukes' fans.

:rotflmao:

This needs to be QFT and maybe a banner needs to be made

Nice way to make your interim coach feel warm and fuzzy.

Jerruh is an idiot.

Agreed. I listened to the 'Jerruh Jones Show' and he stated that it was Bill Parcells who called him for the coaching job. Then he went on for 15 minutes making one excuse after another why he needs to be the GM.

I will always be a Cowboys fan, but today I officially quit Jerruh. I'm disgusted.

Agreed. I listened to the 'Jerruh Jones Show' and he stated that it was Bill Parcells who called him for the coaching job. Then he went on for 15 minutes making one excuse after another why he needs to be the GM.

I will always be a Cowboys fan, but today I officially quit Jerruh. I'm disgusted.

What did he say about remaining the GM?

See, this is the part that caught my eye that no one has really addressed. Jones is saying that top coaches are calling HIM and ASKING for the job. I have never read or heard this regarding Parcells going to dallas before I read this thread. From everything i remember, jones had to coax Parcells out of retirement, and had even contacted Joe Gibbs about the position. He expects us to believe he had top coaching candidates contact him to ask for the position and that he turned them down for Phillips?

I think these "super coaches" that jones is claiming to have been contacted by and "solicited" for the coaching spot in dallas are the same voices in his head that tell him who to draft and what to wear when he goes partying with 20-something girls in vegas.

On one of the Eagle boards I browse there is a guy with some proven credibility about being on the inside. He says all the time that Gruden has told people within the Eagles organization his dream would be to coach the Eagles. He was the OC for a bit in Philly.

I've always thought that was weird and funny. But you never know.

On one of the Eagle boards I browse there is a guy with some proven credibility about being on the inside. He says all the time that Gruden has told people within the Eagles organization his dream would be to coach the Eagles. He was the OC for a bit in Philly.

I've always thought that was weird and funny. But you never know.

NO THANKS! The guy is a great game day coach, probably one of the best, however his ineptitude on the GM side sinks his stock. He's an arrogant ass. Square peg round hole I love Tampa living. NEXT!

Archived