Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Big Mike Williams

skins4ever17

I think BMW will give a little stability, center is a huge need. Grove is intriguing but how is he still on the street? Makes you wonder what's wrong with him.

He'd need to be better than what we currently have on the roster. Considering that Shanahan still seems to love Lichtensteiger for some reason, I don't see the roster spot opening up for him.

Considering that we have three centers on the roster, and it is uncertain how well the other two would do in the starting position, it is really hard to say.

As much as the fans like to talk about how much Rabach sucks, his job never seems to be in jeopardy. Makes me think that the coaching staff sees value in him that fans do not.

that is a typical fact with a lot of players around the NFL. Fans only see what is on TV and in media reports. IMO he is starting because of his leadership ability and his veteran status on the team

that is a typical fact with a lot of players around the NFL. Fans only see what is on TV and in media reports. IMO he is starting because of his leadership ability and his veteran status on the team

Or he's just the best of the worst and there is no other option. Part of the reason he stays is because he makes the line calls.

Also, I know there are varying degrees of fandom, but not knowing what happened to Big Mike is kind of....how do I put this? I mean, if you are a fan and watch them every week, you should know what happened to him.

Actually, given that BMW was a tackle, he might have the mobility that Dock is (apparently) missing.

BMW is about as mobile as a backhoe, tackle or not. The OL at least needs a Bobcat at guard.

...and that is my first construction and land-clearing metaphor of the season.

BMW is about as mobile as a backhoe, tackle or not. The OL at least needs a Bobcat at guard.

Disagree, Mike Williams is actually shockingly mobile for a guy his size. There's a reason he was drafted #4 overall.

Incorrect. Mike Williams has great feet and is very mobile for a big guy. Of all the things you could question, his mobilty is not one of them.

Disagree, Mike Williams is actually shockingly mobile for a guy his size. There's a reason he was drafted #4 overall.

The problem is the caveat "for a guy his size."

The scheme doesn't demand players who are surprisingly mobile. It demands players who are sufficiently mobile. Mike is quicker than he looks, but he's not quick enough to get the job done. Frankly, I'd be surprised if he ever plays another NFL snap.

The problem is the caveat "for a guy his size."

The scheme doesn't demand players who are surprisingly mobile. It demands players who are sufficiently mobile. Mike is quicker than he looks, but he's not quick enough to get the job done. Frankly, I'd be surprised if he ever plays another NFL snap.

Yet, he was pencilled in as the starter at RG.

If they don't think Dockery is fit for the ZBS, I can't imagine they'd be too enthused about Mike Williams in it.

Mike Williams was slated to be the starting RG and has a lot of moblity for a man his size. He doesn't have the lateral speed anymore to be effective at Tackle but he has the potential to play well at Guard even in a ZBS. We don't know how he'll do because his time at Guard has been limited and non-existant in the regular season under Shanahan. He'll be 31 next year (but with very little wear and tear). I hope he can contribute because the Skins need so much help on the Oline.

Mike Williams was slated to be the starting RG and has a lot of moblity for a man his size. He doesn't have the lateral speed anymore to be effective at Tackle but he has the potential to play well at Guard even in a ZBS. We don't know how he'll do because his time at Guard has been limited and non-existant in the regular season under Shanahan. He'll be 31 next year (but with very little wear and tear). I hope he can contribute because the Skins need so much help on the Oline.

And to play guard in the ZBS you don't have to have the lateral speed that a tackle does. You need to have quick feet, good mobility and fast reactions. All three I see no grounds to doubt him on

And Dockery was LG

My point being that, to quote Don Rumsfeld, "You go to war with the army you have." The full-time and future starters at both guard positions will be signed and/or drafted in the offseason. Williams should be kept on, but I'd imagine the front office will also want to bring in their own hand-picked players at positions of question.

My point being that, to quote Don Rumsfeld, "You go to war with the army you have." The full-time and future starters at both guard positions will be signed and/or drafted in the offseason. Williams should be kept on, but I'd imagine the front office will also want to bring in their own hand-picked players at positions of question.

Don't like the source, but like the quote.

And I agree they will bring in their own hand-picked players at those positions. I would hate to see dockery or williams let go simply because they provide backup plans in case they don't find their hand-picked players this coming offseason. It may take more then one year to get just the right player for both of those spots

once again a thread that gets taken off subject and turned into fan baggering....thanks jflow

WTF??? I don't think baggering is a word. And besides, it was ONE post and I was KIDDING. Hardly enough to throw and entire thread off topic. If I were trying to do that, I would have started saying something about bad decisions the coaching staff has made or how "Well, McNabb was labeled as the starting QB".

I guess with your entire 5 days of experience it's not noticeable, but hang around a while and you will see. :D

Anyway, to get you back on topic since you're so easily distracted :pfft:, I thought Big Mike would have made a great ZBS guard. It doesn't take a ton of athleticism to play guard in ANY scheme and Mike was extremely athletic for a guard, and for a guy of his size.

If we were having him play tackle, then I'd have been worried, but at guard I think he's a great fit. Too bad we won't know for a year.

Archived