Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA Times: San Francisco bans Happy Meals

#98QBKiller

I have a 3 yr old, almost 4.

I have yet to see him come up with enough money to buy a Happy Meal.

Bobby Knight said something one time that,in alot of cases, rings true: Parents today worry more about being a kid's best friend then they do being parents.

Yep, and too many worry over giving them their wants rather than their needs

Obviously, the issue lies with McDonalds marketing toys with fatty foods. However what those bureaucrats don't know is that you may substitute fries for apple slices and soda with milk or juice.

This ban is absurd.

Technically, there is no ban. All there is is a requirement that if the meal is marketed to kids with a toy, it contain those apple slices and milk or juice as the default so that it has a certain level of healthy nutrition. You can always pay a buck more to buy Junior some fries.

I don't agree with the ordinance, but it isn't a ban.

• 10 months later...

New development - San Francisco just got served.

So the ban is you can't include a toy with a meal if it's over 600 calories and has more than 35% of calories from fat. To comply, McD would have had to radically change the Happy Meal, or get rid of the toy.

However, in the past, anyone could just buy the toy separately for $2.18 without getting the Happy Meal, or any other food. So Ronald and his gang came up with this ingenious way around the ordinance:

Instead of giving away a toy with a Happy Meal, San Francisco McDonald's restaurants will now require Happy Meal purchasers to make a 10-cent charitable donation to Ronald McDonald House in order to receive their coveted trinket. Ironically, a law intending to prevent fast food outlets from using the allure of toys to push unhealthy food may now be accentuating that practice. Prior to the city's "Healthy Meal Incentive Ordinance," buyers could simply purchase a McDonald's toy for $2.18. Now, however, only those who buy the Happy Meals are allowed to obtain the toys.

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/11/happy_meal_ban_city_health_act.php

Your move, San Francisco!

I honestly don't see a problem with this ordinance. They are not saying that they can't serve Happy Meals with the IMO horrible foods they always have had in it, they are saying that they can't add a toy to them. When I was a kid it wasn't the food that made me want a happy meal it was the toy. If this teaches the kids to eat healthier, more power to it, if not, then no toys for them, big deal, they're cheap plastic toys anyway. lol

I honestly don't see a problem with this ordinance. They are not saying that they can't serve Happy Meals with the IMO horrible foods they always have had in it, they are saying that they can't add a toy to them. When I was a kid it wasn't the food that made me want a happy meal it was the toy. If this teaches the kids to eat healthier, more power to it, if not, then no toys for them, big deal, they're cheap plastic toys anyway. lol

Oh man, when I was a kid I didn't give a rat's ass about the toy (unless it was a car). French fries, chicken nuggets, and way too much ketchup? Sign my six-year-old ass up! (And occasionally my current ass, too. :ols:)

---------- Post added November-30th-2011 at 07:56 PM ----------

Here's the problem: Nanny-statism.

What do you mean? Are you saying that we should actually expect parents to sometimes act like parents and care about how often they buy junk food for their kids?

What do you mean? Are you saying that we should actually expect parents to sometimes act like parents and care about how often they buy junk food for their kids?

Did I miss something where the parents in San Fransisco no longer voted for the local government?

New development - San Francisco just got served.

So the ban is you can't include a toy with a meal if it's over 600 calories and has more than 35% of calories from fat. To comply, McD would have had to radically change the Happy Meal, or get rid of the toy.

However, in the past, anyone could just buy the toy separately for $2.18 without getting the Happy Meal, or any other food. So Ronald and his gang came up with this ingenious way around the ordinance:

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/11/happy_meal_ban_city_health_act.php

Your move, San Francisco!

:applause:

Did I miss something where the parents in San Fransisco no longer voted for the local government?

Damnit, you're right. It's quite obvious that SF parents exercised perfect control over all levels of government, yet simultaneously concluded that the only solution to the Happy Meal "problem" was an outright ban on all Happy Meals. Thank God we have people who can make these decisions for us, so we won't have to make them for ourselves.

Oh man, when I was a kid I didn't give a rat's ass about the toy (unless it was a car). French fries, chicken nuggets, and way too much ketchup? Sign my six-year-old ass up! (And occasionally my current ass, too. :ols:)

I was the direct opposite when I was a kid. My mom had to take the toy away from me and tell me to eat the crappy food before I could play with the toy.

I was the direct opposite when I was a kid. My mom had to take the toy away from me and tell me to eat the crappy food before I could play with the toy.

Yeah I loved the toy ... can't remember really liking the food that much ... maybe there is something to this pavlovian-like psychological association.

Yeah I loved the toy ... can't remember really liking the food that much ... maybe there is something to this pavlovian-like psychological association.

I agree. Kid want toy, kid eat healthy food. Later, kid prefer healthy snack. Best of all, maybe McDonald's closes... Or is that last part just one of my wishes?

And San Fran stays permanently on the list of places I never want to live.

Bunch a tree hugging hippie crap......

I am sure that the city elders are all misting up and verclumpt about this revelation.

(but i am also sure that they will eventually get over it... )

Archived