Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shannahan is getting ripped a new one...

Touch of Class 17

How many scouting reports did you read? How much film did you watch last week of the Lions? How many years have you been a coach? How many practices have you watched the players during? If you can't give the same answers that Mike can you can not understand his reasoning.

Am I happy with McNabb being benched? No not at all. But I am a realist and I know that Mike knew something we didn't and tried to exploit that. Every single play can go one of two ways.....either for the offense or for the defense. All he can do is make the calls and decisions.....he CAN NOT CONTROL THE OUTCOME. Every single game we have lost over the last 2-3 years someone on here starts a thread ready to start a lynch mob to go after a player or coach. Sometimes I wonder if people on here think we should be on a 57-0 run right now including playoffs and Superbowls.

It was inexcusable and his getting ripped for it is completely justified.

And the excuse about Rex knowing the 2 minute terminology better was simply embarrassing.

He owes Donovan an apology. You don't make a guy like him look bad by making him out to be the scapegoat when your OL is one of the worst in the league and one of you're starting WR's only experience was playing in a league most people have never even heard of before.

Oh, and carrying only 2 active RB's was another ridiculous move. NFL teams carry 2 QB's, not 2 RB's. That's idiotic.

How many scouting reports did you read? How much film did you watch last week of the Lions? How many years have you been a coach? How many practices have you watched the players during? If you can't give the same answers that Mike can you can not understand his reasoning.

Am I happy with McNabb being benched? No not at all. But I am a realist and I know that Mike knew something we didn't and tried to exploit that. Every single play can go one of two ways.....either for the offense or for the defense. All he can do is make the calls and decisions.....he CAN NOT CONTROL THE OUTCOME. Every single game we have lost over the last 2-3 years someone on here starts a thread ready to start a lynch mob to go after a player or coach. Sometimes I wonder if people on here think we should be on a 57-0 run right now including playoffs and Superbowls.

I wanted to post like that but it seems like everybody is lynching him. ESPN, FOX, CBS, NBC questioning his judgment. Its not just here on Extremeskins. Someone just called him ShanaZorn on the radio just now. This isn't good.

* Haynesworth conditioning tests

* Devin Thomas

* Portis benching after the slide vs Rams

* McNabb benching

Fully on board with that. AH was in terrible shape. If he's getting that money, he's gonna be in athletic condition.

Has he done anything since to show you he belongs in the league?

I'm with you on this.

Almost unforgiveable. I also think Mike was mistakenly punishing McNabb for Kyle's tremendous failures as a play caller yesterday.

Cachie, I hear ya man. Re: Haynesworth, yea he needs to be in shape and wasn't in football shape. But some tiny part of me, says that when Shanny went home and ate dinner, he had a little smirk on his face like the cat that ate the canary.

Re: Devin Thomas... I have no idea. I never got a chance to see him play really. It was all based on vague reports from practice by Shanahan and son of Shanahan.....

When things happen like the benching, it makes me look sideways at Shanny's decisions that we listed. As if he's making examples out of some people.

And I'm not saying Haynesworth doesnt need a coach that will push him to his potential..and not saying Devin deserved to be here...but pulling the QB whom you traded for, with the reasoning of

"I felt more comfortable with Grossman running the 2 min offense, because he knows the terminology"... is.... well.. fluff. McNabb has been here since April. They run 2 min drill in practice all the time.

There's another reason. A truth that he will not say, and McNabb certainly won't speak up about. When/if McNabb leaves, I bet we hear the truth.

Edit: and next time quote me. lol that was tough putting that post together. :) Hail.

FYI...he's also being ripped on air by former players and coaches. Just sayin'.....

I wanted to post like that but it seems like everybody is lynching him. ESPN, FOX, CBS, NBC questioning his judgment. Its not just here on Extremeskins. Someone just called him ShanaZorn on the radio just now. This isn't good.

Let them. ESPN, FOX, NBC who cares??? Do they control our team? Do they sign the players? Write the checks? No. They sit inside a studio watch a carefully selected group of plays and analyze based on that. They don't spend a week in the film room, on the practice field, in team meetings. They are on TV for one purpose only.....ENTERTAINMENT. I remember when you didn't have pregame, halftime or postgame shows. That is when the game was the most important part about the NFL. Now people care more about what the so called "analysts" have to say.

As he should. Why does everyone have to be in 2 camps on this issue?

I like Shanahan a lot. I think he will be our coach for the next 4-5 years. I also think this move was stupid. I don't agree with it. But it does not make me think he is a horrible coach or an egoistical idiot.

Look dude. Most of us have been happy with Shanny. But a 10 year old can see that putting a cold QB in the game that has no mobility to escape a fierce pass rush with less then two minutes in the game is not just poor judgement. It's a colassal muck up because of not only the on-field ramifications, but the off the field ramifications as well. Couple that with a bye week and two weeks to marinate this situation and it could lead to a season that might (key word) start spiraling.

Not saying our season is done by any stretch, but one can't ignore the possible seriousness of this mistake on many fronts.

How do we know that something wasn't exchanged between #5 and MS or KS when he came back to the sideline after throwing the pick? Or how do we know that #5 didn't say something about his O-line playing like ****, and MS took it personally and put #8 in? Or how do we know that MS recognized that the O-line was playing like ****, and told #5 "you've been beaten up enough today, i'm putting in #8"?

Granted these are all just speculation on my part, but it goes to show that a million and one things could've transpired on that sideline in that brief moment of time, that none of us, or the media, or possibly even anyone other than a few people standing there at that exact moment, know about. So any judgement that any of us are gonna place on MS, KS, #5, #8, or anyone else, is based on nothing more than pure speculation. And its very possible that it does go deeper than what it simply appears as on the surface (most things do), and its also very possible with how tightlipped the FO is, we'll never know about. So i'd expect a ton of drama to continue for the next days/weeks, or at least until the next new shiny object pops up and everyone forgets about this and scrambles to go talk about that one. :2cents:

EDIT: I see that JoeJGibbs beat me to it. Everything is speculation. Of course most of time it's like that anyway, but that doesn't stop the knee-jerk-cliff-jumping.

This is the worst post I've read here in awhile. How is it speculation? Shannahan said he pulled McNabb for Grossman because Grossman understood the 2 minute offense better. So a million and one things couldn't have happened if we're to take Shannahan's word for it, unless you're insinuating that Shannahan is lying about the reason he pulled McNabb on that drive?

Regardless, Shannahan gave us the reason and McNabb confirmed it. Nobody is speculating anything.

Let's not make football into quantum physics, it's not that complicated. I don't have to watch film to know that a mobile qb gives you a better chance when your o-line is handing out sacks like Oprah handing out cars. "you get a sack, you get a sack and you get a sack".

The other flaw with your position is if they saw something on film that they could exploit, why not do it earlier? Why not pull McNabb at halftime or the beginning of the 4th? It's an indefensible decision bottom line, that has the potential to have lasting ramifications in the locker room. Make no mistake, there are players who felt like Haynseworth and Devin Thomas were hosed.

i was thinking more that we'd use the picks for the people at the position.

instead of burning picks on one player, like they've been doing for the past 15 years.

i wanted to see some practicle use in the draft.

Coaching the Redskins is not the same as coaching the Raiders. We want INSTANCE success!!!
lol, instance success.

lol, "Practicle" ;)...

As he should. Why does everyone have to be in 2 camps on this issue?

I like Shanahan a lot. I think he will be our coach for the next 4-5 years. I also think this move was stupid. I don't agree with it. But it does not make me think he is a horrible coach or an egoistical idiot.

Yes he should be the critizied. But not thrown under the bus. He took a chance and lost the gamble. Then he didn't give an honest explanation. I do not buy what he said for one second. I doubt a single sports writer will. Could it be that he is trying to put a spark under McNabb? Maybe....how do we really know what his intention was. He made a mistake, I pretty sure he realizes that this morning.

"Just talked to Rex Grossman for a while, he was told to be on high alert during the week to play, so appears that Shanahan was thinking this about" 1 hour ago via Twitter for Android

PER Chris Russell Twitter

smh.. I'm on panic mode now. Rex sucks. This sucks.

Hail!

**** gets deeper

How do we know that something wasn't exchanged between #5 and MS or KS when he came back to the sideline after throwing the pick? Or how do we know that #5 didn't say something about his O-line playing like ****, and MS took it personally and put #8 in? Or how do we know that MS recognized that the O-line was playing like ****, and told #5 "you've been beaten up enough today, i'm putting in #8"?

Granted these are all just speculation on my part, but it goes to show that a million and one things could've transpired on that sideline in that brief moment of time, that none of us, or the media, or possibly even anyone other than a few people standing there at that exact moment, know about. So any judgement that any of us are gonna place on MS, KS, #5, #8, or anyone else, is based on nothing more than pure speculation. And its very possible that it does go deeper than what it simply appears as on the surface (most things do), and its also very possible with how tightlipped the FO is, we'll never know about. So i'd expect a ton of drama to continue for the next days/weeks, or at least until the next new shiny object pops up and everyone forgets about this and scrambles to go talk about that one. :2cents:

EDIT: I see that JoeJGibbs beat me to it. Everything is speculation. Of course most of time it's like that anyway, but that doesn't stop the knee-jerk-cliff-jumping.

This is exactly where my head is on this matter. Shanahan has been a coach for a very long time. He's also a bright dude. There's not a snowball chance in hell his mind frame is,

"1:45 left, with a chance to win the game, 0 timeouts, and I need to drive 70 yards... I'm brining Sexxxxxxy back!"

It defies all coaching logic not just within the NFL but within the dynamic of all sports outlets that exist.

He's not stupid or some rube that gives in to the status quo. This was not some coaching "boo-boo" or a lack in better judgement.

He's a hard-ass that seems intent on doing things his way and he's not afraid to go against the grain or take heat for it either.

He's not telling the truth -- plain and simple.

Something went down, we won't know what it was..

Let's not make football into quantum physics, it's not that complicated. I don't have to watch film to know that a mobile qb gives you a better chance when your o-line is handing out sacks like Oprah handing out cars. "you get a sack, you get a sack and you get a sack".

The other flaw with your position is if they saw something on film that they could exploit, why not do it earlier? Why not pull McNabb at halftime or the beginning of the 4th? It's an indefensible decision bottom line, that has the potential to have lasting ramifications in the locker room. Make no mistake, there are players who felt like Haynseworth and Devin Thomas were hosed.

1)Okay so where is your resume that backs your stance? Mike has one..... 2)Are you perfect? Do you go day to day without one single mistake? 3)When was the last time you donned the headset as the HC of an NFL team? Now do I agree with his decision to pull McNabb? I have said it all day....NNNNOOOOOO. I was ticked when he did it. But I am a sane enough person to realize I am a fan, he is a head coach with a resume that is pretty extensive. He made the decision, he has to and will live with it. Does he deserve the negativity? Yes he made a mistake,he is in a high profile position, give it to him. But people on here are wanting to throw him under the bus, that is ridiculous. We are fans, and I do believe we have the right (and it is one I enjoy) to speak our minds, complain about stupid mistakes like this one and cheer the good ones. But I will bet a months worth of paychecks that 98% of people throwing mud would have been calling him the greatest coach ever if Rex would of won the game. Too many people are resounding what others say instead of speaking for themselves. Mike is a great coach, he is human and will make mistakes, but he is 200% better then what we had last year.

Archived