Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hall had 4 int & tie NFL & team record. - Who was the first Redskin to do it?

RedskinsFanInTX

Wow! Sammy Baugh must have been amazing to watch!

Nov. 14, 1943

Griffith Stadium - Sammy Baugh put on quite a show, throw-ing four touchdown passes, intercepting four Detroit passes, getting off an 81-yard punt and recovering a fumble just for good measure, as the Redskins beat the Lions.

Two of his touchdown passes came in the first half as the Redskins built a 21-0 lead. Detroit rallied and trailed just 28-20 in the fourth quarter, but the Redskins woke up and scored two more TD’s to wrap it up.

source

This is one of the reasons why I say Sammy Baugh is the greatest to play the game, and by far the greatest to wear the burgundy and gold. Even in a day when most players played on both sides, Baugh went the next step and DOMINATED on all three sides of the ball. People remember Baugh as a great passer, but he was also a fantastic punter, a shut-down corner, and a devastating tackler.

And yes, those old school uniforms were the best.

an 81 yard punt? 4 TDs happen a lot. 4 INTs happened yesterday and 17 other times.

but an 81 yard punt? WTF? thats insane lol!

His punt was on a quick kick from what I have found, so there was no returner and it must have rolled forever, not to slight Baugh, but his punting stats can't really be compared to modern punters.

an 81 yard punt? 4 TDs happen a lot. 4 INTs happened yesterday and 17 other times.

but an 81 yard punt? WTF? thats insane lol!

His punt was on a quick kick from what I have found, so there was no returner and it must have rolled forever, not to slight Baugh, but his punting stats can't really be compared to modern punters.

I believe back then they measured from the punter's position, not from the LOS.

But still...

I would say that 330 punts over a 13 year career with a 45 yard average stacks up pretty well with modern punters. His career long punt was 85 yards, quick kick or not, He must have been awesome to watch.

I knew about that game as far as the INTs and TDs went, but I never knew about the punt and fumble recovery. What a tank.

Oh, and it was against Detroit. Let's put McNabb in next to Landry next week...

Actually, that's a really bad idea. Never mind.

Those helmets were the best. We should bring them back as our throwbacks

Oh God, that's a terrible idea too. :ols:

Man, no one in the NFL will ever come close to having a game like that again. 4 td passes, 4 ints and an 81 yard boomer. While wearing leather!

In 1945(?) the rule allowing unlimited substitutions was enacted. This led to the specialization we see today and, boy, did people whine. It also gave rise to the use of timing, route running and layering of routes as now players had time to practice them. As to punts, since you often punted on third downs, there weren't always people back there to stop your kick from rolling. Further, directional kicking and getting loads of hang-time did not come into vogue until the 1960s (hang-time and directional kicking also became much more important in the 70s when the NFL decided that only what we now call gunners could release down field before the kick).

This is one of the reasons why I say Sammy Baugh is the greatest to play the game, and by far the greatest to wear the burgundy and gold. Even in a day when most players played on both sides, Baugh went the next step and DOMINATED on all three sides of the ball. People remember Baugh as a great passer, but he was also a fantastic punter, a shut-down corner, and a devastating tackler.

And yes, those old school uniforms were the best.

I think he was what would be called a Safety today (although the terms we use for DBs today go back to the late 40s/early 50s). IIRC, he played Fullback on D in the base 5-3-3 of his day (the DBs were Left Halfback/Fullback/Right Halfback.

Archived