Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton, slide yourself out of the league, please...

Zarg

Clinton Portis

"As far as dude running the ball, or running with the ball, and somebody hit you helmet to helmet, I think you got an opportunity to go down. You got an opportunity to slide."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-players-speak-out-on-the-NFL-s-awful-new-da?urn=nfl-278498

As a running back, you would no clue when someone is coming at you with their helmet. Things happen in a split second. EVERYONE IS COMING AT YOU WITH THEIR HELMET.

So it looks like we haven't seen the last of the sliding Portis.... awesome...:silly:

Love it when wimps talk tough and tell professional players that they aren't tough.

Keep it real you tough guy you.

Yeah, because Barry Sanders, E. Smith, Riggo, hell, KELVIN BRYANT talked about sliding to not get hit... "wimp"... big boy behind computer, Jesus, you can't just reply that you don't agree with me. Instead you have to reduce yourself to name calling... grow up... you're 40, time to start acting like it.

My point is, it looks like we are trying to go younger after the experiment of going older (Johnson/Parker) has not worked. If Clinton is let go, or if there is no (dare I say it) football next year he's cutting his throat by saying sliding is an option...

Yea sounds like you're looking for a reason to hate on Portis.

That slide was the only time you've ever seen him do it, and you act like it's his 'thing'. You obviously haven't watched him play, because if you did, you'd notice how hard he smashes guys in the face when he's blocking.

Weak thread....funny quote by Portis though...I love how his ebonics-talk translates to news articles, haha

I know CP very well... admire his blocking abilities but his ball carrying skills have declined immensely over the past few seasons :beatdeadhorse: then, to suggest sliding, is crazy IMO. I would have no problem keeping him on for a blocking back in passing situations, screens, etc. Like I said, love his blocking abilities...

Yea, and all he said was "guys have an opportunity to slide/protect themselves." Why does that have to mean that he's a 'slide-happy wuss' all the sudden? That one 'slide' he did (that got WAY to much attention) was because 8 hands were trying to strip the ball. This is taking overreacting to a WHOLE new level.

He still could be a helluva 3rd down back for us ala us thinking B Westy this offseason....he could be a killer 3rd down back for several years with his blocking and screen play. Don't Hate...his career isn't over.....it is as a 30carry/game back but still can be very effective on team.

I know CP very well... admire his blocking abilities but his ball carrying skills have declined immensely over the past few seasons :beatdeadhorse: then, to suggest sliding, is crazy IMO. I would have no problem keeping him on for a blocking back in passing situations, screens, etc. Like I said, love his blocking abilities...

He has declined all of .4 yards per carry over his career average in which the Redskins have been horrible and fielded division two Offensive Lines at times. He is a more complete back than you are giving him credit for.

2010 Washington Redskins 4 49 12.2 195 4.0 48.8 2 27 10 20.4 1 0 0 (Injured and may still come back to go over 10k yards, has about the same avg. per carry as Torrain and Williams, but better recpeption numbers so far and can blocking is no contest.) I suggest asking Donovan McNabb who he would prefer back there on third and long, the guy gives it all and some fans don't see it.

2009 Washington Redskins 8 124 15.5 494 4.0 61.8 1 78 19 15.3 2 1 1 (Injured and the team sucked)2008 Washington Redskins 16 342 21.4 1,487 4.3 92.9 9 31 75 21.9 13 0 3

2007 Washington Redskins 16 325 20.3 1,262 3.9 78.9 11 32 61 18.8 3 0 6

2006 Washington Redskins 8 127 15.9 523 4.1 65.4 7 38T 29 22.8 3 0 0

2005 Washington Redskins 16 352 22.0 1,516 4.3 94.8 11 47T 74 21.0 6 2 3

2004 Washington Redskins 15 343 22.9 1,315 3.8 87.7 5 64T 65 19.0 5 1 5

2003 Denver Broncos 13 290 22.3 1,591 5.5 122.4 14 65T 76 26.2 13 6 3

2002 Denver Broncos 16 273 17.1 1,508 5.5 94.2 15 59 79 28.9 11 3 5

TOTAL 112 2,225 19.9 9,891 4.4 88.3 75 78 488 21.9 57 13 26

Yeah, because Barry Sanders, E. Smith, Riggo, hell, KELVIN BRYANT talked about sliding to not get hit... "wimp"... big boy behind computer, Jesus, you can't just reply that you don't agree with me. Instead you have to reduce yourself to name calling... grow up... you're 40, time to start acting like it.

He was showing his support for not changing the game and fining people just because they hit too hard. If you don't want to get hit, you can always slide. It's your choice. And no one, other than a few dummies, believe that Portis slid in that game because he's afraid of contact.

I guess he's worried about helmet-to-wrist violence.

well, personally I was extremely glad he slid. I saw those Rams closing in and I was sure he was going to try another cut, get hit hard and fumble the ball. No reason to think it, but I just was 100% certain that's what would have happened.

Anybody notice that Santana does a slide too?

Well he does.

I think alot of it is people hate CP for other reasons, then he slides to avoid a possible fumble, and it's open season on the man.. Very similar to how we still hear whining about what AH did last year.. Haters gonna hate, no matter what..

Are we talking about the same Clinton Portis that dislocated his shoulder laying a hit on a picked ball in a preseason game? If that guys afraid to take a hit, i'd love to see the line up of people on here that would be willing to stand in front of him, and play a game of chicken. Who wants to starts a sign up thread?

EDIT: Might I add:

You know CP very well? So you feel its cool then that you can bash him on the Redskins message board. Glad you don't know me. ****ing bull****!

Archived