Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Clinton, slide yourself out of the league, please...

Zarg

He was showing his support for not changing the game and fining people just because they hit too hard. If you don't want to get hit, you can always slide. It's your choice. And no one, other than a few dummies, believe that Portis slid in that game because he's afraid of contact.

Smartest post of the thread. OP is not apparently not a particularly strong reader, or just wants to hate, but this is exactly what CP was saying.

He's just saying if you don't want to risk a helmet to helmet then don't take the hit. Obviously not going to work in every situation, but I think OP completely misunderstood the quote.

OP didn't misunderstand the quote, he just read it the way anyone person who wants hate on another person would. I'd do the same to Reed DOUBTY regarding his coverage skills as a DB...as far as ST's he really good. Sucks at all else except tackling in the box.

In any event, OP is just drinking a pitcher of Haterade that he just made.

Yeah, because Barry Sanders, E. Smith, Riggo, hell, KELVIN BRYANT talked about sliding to not get hit... "wimp"... big boy behind computer, Jesus, you can't just reply that you don't agree with me. Instead you have to reduce yourself to name calling... grow up... you're 40, time to start acting like it.

I'm younger so can I say it?

Are we talking about the same Clinton Portis that dislocated his shoulder laying a hit on a picked ball in a preseason game? If that guys afraid to take a hit, i'd love to see the line up of people on here that would be willing to stand in front of him, and play a game of chicken. Who wants to starts a sign up thread?

EDIT: Might I add:

You know CP very well? So you feel its cool then that you can bash him on the Redskins message board. Glad you don't know me. ****ing bull****!

Some of you don't know how to take criticism. Or respect someones opinion that doesn't match your own. Are you assuming I know CP "personally", no, I don't. A poster didn't think I know CP as a runningback. There is a huge difference between getting hit, and giving the hit.... CP would rather give a jaw rocking block than run the ball up the middle and get taken down by a stiff breeze. Hence, I think he would be a great 3rd down back. No longer an every down back. You can't tell me when you saw him slide you didn't wonder... why? The only other time I have seen a back slide is to keep from going out of bounds to keep the clock running.

SWFLSkins Thanks for the numbers, after staring at them for a bit I will agree with you, maybe immensely was not the right word. I hate to compare RB's and their offensive lineman... "What would Barry Sanders have done with Dallas' OL? What would CP do on a better team?" I just look at the RB, and your numbers show a better CP than what I stated.

Yeah, because Barry Sanders, E. Smith, Riggo, hell, KELVIN BRYANT talked about sliding to not get hit... "wimp"... big boy behind computer, Jesus, you can't just reply that you don't agree with me. Instead you have to reduce yourself to name calling... grow up... you're 40, time to start acting like it.

You cant really be questioning portis' toughness....you can't really be that stupid...

Some of you don't know how to take criticism. Or respect someones opinion that doesn't match your own. Are you assuming I know CP "personally", no, I don't. A poster didn't think I know CP as a runningback. There is a huge difference between getting hit, and giving the hit.... CP would rather give a jaw rocking block than run the ball up the middle and get taken down by a stiff breeze. Hence, I think he would be a great 3rd down back. No longer an every down back. You can't tell me when you saw him slide you didn't wonder... why? The only other time I have seen a back slide is to keep from going out of bounds to keep the clock running.

SWFLSkins Thanks for the numbers, after staring at them for a bit I will agree with you, maybe immensely was not the right word. I hate to compare RB's and their offensive lineman... "What would Barry Sanders have done with Dallas' OL? What would CP do on a better team?" I just look at the RB, and your numbers show a better CP than what I stated.

i guess you were out of town or something for the eagles game...

i guess you were out of town or something for the eagles game...

SOoooooooo... I guess you are leading to he had a good game? He should have run with purpose after getting asked the same question by every interviewer.... "Why did you slide?"

SOoooooooo... I guess you are leading to he had a good game? He should have run with purpose after getting asked the same question by every interviewer.... "Why did you slide?"

11 carries for 55 yards if you can do math thats 5 yards per carry, i see what kind of fan you are the one who thinks he knows everything that goes on and the basis of his opinions are what he reads in the papers, if you were to actually pay close attention you would know portis is one of the toughest players in the league, so you should probably learn how to take thinks how they were meant to be taken his quote obviously was meant to be taken as if people don't want to get hit they can always slide.....

PS if you don't like CP go root for jonathan stewart and deangelo williams...

Some people just shouldnt post everything they think on this board... cp is one of the toughest guys on the team and to question that is stupid.
:look:

Anytime CP says anything it's a issue for some on this board:rolleyes:. The man was playing with a very serious groin injury, until he couldn't go anymore. Even Shanny himself said when a player like CP takes himself out of the game, then he CAN'T GO. So excuse me if I put more stock in what Shanny says over Jason Reid, Jr:ols:

That's a strange quote if you read the article.

Almost all of the other quotes are from defensive players, saying that hard hits are often unavoidable.

Then you have Clinton, suggesting that players just slide.:ols:

lol..Never a dull moment with our boy Clinton. I can't believe the Redskins still allow this clown in front of a microphone.

11 carries for 55 yards if you can do math thats 5 yards per carry, i see what kind of fan you are the one who thinks he knows everything that goes on and the basis of his opinions are what he reads in the papers, if you were to actually pay close attention you would know portis is one of the toughest players in the league, so you should probably learn how to take thinks how they were meant to be taken his quote obviously was meant to be taken as if people don't want to get hit they can always slide.....

PS if you don't like CP go root for jonathan stewart and deangelo williams...

And here you are assuming I can't do math, why do you take these things I say to heart? Don't go including JS and DW in your rebuttal, I'm pretty sure 75% of the people on here would take either of them over CP. You think I HATE CP, I really don't. I know how tough he is, I've seen him his whole career. I have seen every REDSKIN game long before you were even born, so please, spare me the lecture on how I get my "info". In order to be objective you have to separate yourself from being a REDSKIN FAN, to being someone who can say "as much as I love **********, he does ******" Keep in mind all along, you will never get feedback from me calling you STUPID, DUMB, or demeaning in anyway... nor will I assume you can't do math....I value your opinion as much as anyones, but to tell me what type of fan I am your gravely mistaken.

I like Clinton Portis.

Of the 5 Jerseys I own for the Redskins, his name is on 1.

(Sean Taylor, Darrell Green, Santana Moss, and Terry Allen have the others)

I appreciate how he gave me moments of joy during some terrible seasons.

I laugh at his outspoken personality and respect that he speaks his mind.

He will go down as one of the greatest Redskins RB in my lifetime.

That being said, I think Portis is no longer a RB that can compete in this league.

We all (well, the educated bunch of us anyway) understand the fact that RB is a position with a very short tenure.

There will not be a 40 year old RB.

Portis has carried the Redskins on his back for several years.

It is unfortunate. I didn't want to see it happen, but it has. He is simply gone the way of Willie Parker, Shaun Alexander, Larry Johnson, and 100 others.

I respect Portis and appreciate all the moments he has given me in my life. I wish him all the best in life.

Ok, so now what happens when a guy is going low on a tackle and "dude" slides and takes the hit to his head and gets hurt because he's playing scared? Is it still the defensive players fault? This whole thing is such a knee jerk reaction by the league. It sucks.

You're so dead on. Besides the Mayweather hit where he launched himself head first I thought the other calls were questionable. I was watching the Philly/Atl game. D. Rob dropped down to make a serious hit and at the same time Jackson saw it coming and tried to drop down to protect himself. Even watching it live it didn't look like a dirty or illegal hit. Guess we should jus grab the flags or switch to flags

Clinton Portis can still play. He seems a step slow than he was four years ago, but the man can still take it to the house if he gets a little room. As far as his comments, I'm not going to say that he's wrong. He came back from a concussion last season, and those types of injuries are occurring more and more. Call him what you want. Portis has proven he's a tough guy when push comes to pushing back, so anything he says about sliding, falling down, etc is okay by me.

If Portis gets back healthy and can still block like he's an OT, I'll give him a pass on the sliding. He might not go into every run thinking "I'll bowl this guy over" but when he's blocking, he doesn't care if it's Ray Lewis, Patrick Willis, Troy Polamalu, or DeMarcus Ware blitzing, he's going to light the dude up.

Clinton Portis can still play. He seems a step slow than he was four years ago, but the man can still take it to the house if he gets a little room.
I'm sorry, Portis hasn't been able to take it to the house for years, even when fit. His longest run in the last five seasons was 47 yards, in fact according to NFL.com that is his only run over 40 yards in that time. Praise his blocking skills by all means (he still excels in that area) but as a home-run hitter he has been done for years.

I'm sorry, Portis hasn't been able to take it to the house for years, even when fit. His longest run in the last five seasons was 47 yards, in fact according to NFL.com that is his only run over 40 yards in that time.

Incorrect. Clinton had a 78 yard run against the Chiefs last season (I'm sure many of you will accuse him of falling down at the end of that run, though).

Is CP a top 10 RB in the NFL anymore? Absolutely not. Did he give the Redskins everything he had and play with undeniable passion for the game? Yes.

It is crazy how fast some of you will turn on a guy who gave everything during his time as a Redskin. Have some respect for what he accomplished and what he gave us for several years. He has the 2nd most rushing yards in Redskins HISTORY. He is coming to the end of his career, we don't need vilify him for apparently no reason at all.

I would love for him to restructure his contract and stay with the Redskins for the rest of his career (1 or 2 more seasons) as a #2 pass blocking role behind a faster younger RB. Probably not something he wants to do, but I would love it.

Archived