Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Haslett Files (Greg Blache vs. Jim Haslett, Historically bad defensive pace, etc.)

KDawg

Well, here's what the stats are for the 2009/2010 seasons (thus far) including the offenses production.

Offense:

1st Quarter: 5 points per game

2nd Quarter: 6.66 points per game

(1st Half = 11.66 points per game)

3rd Quarter: 5 points per game

4th quarter: 2.1 points per game

(2nd half = 7.1 points per game)

Defense

1st Quarter: 4.66 points per game

2nd Quarter: 4.33 points per game

(1st half = 8.99 points per game)

3rd quarter: 5.66 points per game

4th quarter: 4.5 points per game

(2nd half = 10.06 points per game)

Stand alone Analysis for 2010:

The offense and defense combine for very good 1st halves. They are scoring more points than the opposition. In the second half, however, we're averaging a field goal less per game and the 4th quarter alone is abysmal offensively and right on par with the 1st/2nd quarter numbers defensively. Biggest issue is 3rd quarter defensively and big time 4th quarter offensively.

Offense:

1st Quarter: 2.56 points per game

2nd Quarter: 4.625

(1st half = 7.185 points per game)

3rd Quarter: 5.25 points per game

4th Quarter: 4.18 points per game

(2nd half = 9.43 points per game)

Defense

1st Quarter: 5.81 points per game

2nd Quarter: 7.25 points per game

(1st half = 13.06 points per game)

3rd Quarter: 1.875 points per game

4th quarter: 5.56 points per game

(2nd half = 7.435 points per game)

2009 Stand Alone Analysis:

Our offense stunk something fierce. Our first half defense was pretty bad, but our second half defense kept us in games, particularly in the 4th quarter.

2010 vs. 2009 Stats:

Our 2010 Offense is much better in the 1st quarter and 2nd quarter, and worse in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Interesting.

Our 2010 Defense is much better in the 1st and 2nd quarter, FAR worse in the 3rd and better in the 4th.

What's even more interesting is that now, we're finding ways to score in the 3rd and fourth quarter after failed attempts during the first 4 games.

I think they're roughly on par w/ each other now, and it hasn't even been a year yet, and they don't have the right personnel. Haslett's doing pretty well given the situation imo.

Again, the purpose of this thread was to dispell the myth that Blache's defenses would have allowed scores where Haslett's hasn't. Clearly, Blache's defenses didn't allow as many points as many here believed that it did.

Much like was said about last years team: If the offense scored ~6 more points a game, they'd be contenders.

This offense is clearly doing that, but took a big step back defensively, so now have to take a bigger step forward offensively.

This defense is more fun to watch, imo, but I really would have liked to see last years D taking to the field this year...maybe just for ONE year before they decided to change it. There'd be less Al drama, less worry about Carter, etc. Landry may still have been out of place, but perhaps that could've been tweaked.

Again, I really like watching this D. This past Sunday night, people said we looked confused and were just standing around due to Peyton's no huddle. No...that's just how we roll now, sometimes no hands in the dirt, you don't know what to expect. And I don't care if so many INTs were dropped that game. That will improve (it has to ;) ) . Just the fact that our guys are in position like that is promising. Couple personnel changes in the next couple years, and this D is just fine, I'd say. Let's just hope it doesn't take so long, that by then we're playing catchup offensively because McNabb retired or something...

ok so i have a question, since you say we have numerou holes on both sides of the ball...would you go into this next draft, and solely draft defense or offensive players and correct all the holes on ONE side, and the other the next? or do you just piece the puzzle here and there and eventually all the holes filled?

ok so i have a question, since you say we have numerou holes on both sides of the ball...would you go into this next draft, and solely draft defense or offensive players and correct all the holes on ONE side, and the other the next? or do you just piece the puzzle here and there and eventually all the holes filled?

I think it depends on whats available when we pick and in the FA market. So I can't answer this question quite yet.

Man to man defense is the main thing i miss about Blache's defenses.

As much as the DBs must have disliked playing heavy man-to-man defense it actually helped the defense make stops.

When we needed to stop the Colts we went man-to-man 3 times and got a much needed 3 and out.

Edit: In 2008 Blache's defense forced the highest % of 3 and outs in the NFL.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:3pSSr4aETgEJ:www.redskins.com/gen/coaches/Greg_Blache.jsp+Greg+Blache+Redskins+defense+3+and+outs&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Additionally, Blache’s secondary proved to be the strength of the defense despite the fact that his defensive backfield had 10 different starting lineups in 16 games in 2008. The Redskins defense limited opponents to just 193.4 yards per game and helped force the highest percentage of three-and-outs in the NFL.

Whiners? Welcome to Extremeskins, where having a coversation paints you as a whiner/moron.

Does that make the Saints D from last year good? Because I'd swear that people here were saying we have a good defense. We don't. We have an attacking, aggressive, relentless defense that wants the football, but that doesn't make them good. It makes them opportunistic, it helps us win games at times and it's going to help us lose games at times. That's the gamble you take when you play with this style of defense. Truth be told, I prefer this overall style, I just wish it wasn't Haslett running it. But then again, I don't know that there were any better alternatives, but I don't know every coach that's out there or that was available. That Saints defense from last year wasn't good, either. They made plays.

And I think I've said time and time again that I like that aspect of the defense. If we could meld Blache and Haslett together our defense would be disgusting :ols:

I resemble that remark :) if I understand what you are actually trying to say. I'm not an English teacher but I'd swear you left out a word, but as I said I'm a moron. ;)

Funny how all I said is "to stop people from whinning" and YOU chose to speak up. I never called anyone person a whinner. Never singled you out. But, aparently you must have felt you were whinning cause you chose to start name calling.

I just want to say thank you. Have a nice day.

I bet he had the most chances for 3 and outs with our feeble offense. I think the percentage of 3 and outs is worth a look.

We got crushed on TOP which wasnt soley the result of a feeble offense. When the game was down to the last drive, Blache's D would never get a 3and out. In fact, teams would go 80 on us and we would lose.

I resemble that remark :) if I understand what you are actually trying to say. I'm not an English teacher but I'd swear you left out a word, but as I said I'm a moron. ;)

Nope. Didn't leave out a word.

Funny how all I said is "to stop people from whinning" and YOU chose to speak up. I never called anyone person a whinner. Never singled you out. But, aparently you must have felt you were whinning cause you chose to start name calling.

Name calling? Seriously? :ols: Where did I call you a name? I was responding to what you said about people whining. YOU called the people who didn't agree with you whiners, not me. And nor did I call you a whiner. And I speak up because it's that kind of thing that aggravates me to no end. People don't agree with you, that doesn't mean they're a whiner (or insert any other word here from "moron" to "dimwit" to "simpleton" and all the way back to "schmuck".) I don't feel like I'm whining the the least.

I feel like I'm providing a real view point and a genuine concern and some folks either don't bother to read the entire thread or they manage to paint a picture that isn't accurate. Much like you did with the whiner comment.

Again, the purpose of this thread was to dispell the myth that Blache's defenses would have allowed scores where Haslett's hasn't. Clearly, Blache's defenses didn't allow as many points as many here believed that it did.

Ya I understand that. The notion that Blache's defense is worse overall than the current defense is quite a stretch, but all things considered, I'm impressed with the current defense. Blache inherited a good defense from Williams, whereas Haslett has done a 180. I don't miss the huge 10+ yard cushions that Blache would have the corners on the outside play.

When the game was down to the last drive, Blache's D would never get a 3and out. In fact, teams would go 80 on us and we would lose.

This year:

Dallas: 13 play drive to end the game. Ended on a holding penalty. Not a 3 and out, so in that regard we're 0/1.

Houston: 8 play drive. Lost game via field goal. 0/2.

St. Louis: Game was out of reach. Doesn't matter.

Philly: 10 play drive. Drive ended with a pick in endzone by DeAngelo Hall. 0/3 in forcing 3 and outs to win the game.

Green Bay: 2 play drive. Interception by LaRon Landry. This qualifies as a key stop or a 3 and out in my opinion. 1/4.

Indianapolis: 3 and out on Indy's last drive. 2/5.

40%. That's not an awful rate, but not a great one, either. Something to build off of for sure and could be much worse.

Ya I understand that. The notion that Blache's defense is worse overall than the current defense is quite a stretch, but all things considered, I'm impressed with the current defense. Blache inherited a good defense from Williams, whereas Haslett has done a 180. I don't miss the huge 10+ yard cushions that Blache would have the corners on the outside play.

I dont think anyone misses Blache, personally I couldnt STAND him or how he ran a 4-3. But the thing is that the 3-4 under Haslett hasnt been any better than what Blache ran. On the plus side there is room for improvement and there are positive signs. I like their agressiveness and how everyone runs to the ball. I dont like the fact that we trying to run a 3-4 without key personnel for it, nor do I see any reason to make a change to the 3-4. However if we contune to run a 3-4, its going to take 2-3 years to get the personnel for it, and by then McNabbs' window will have likely closed. And that reason is enough to put the switch on ice for a couple years.

Haslet in just 6 games has shown an exotic blitz. Gone with a different look (no down linemen). Is generating turnovers and could have more re: Rogers (he is getting more chances at drops this year). Made changes when needed (sat Carter, moved Landry to SS).

From those points alone, he has proven a better coach than Blache, who couldnt and wouldnt adjust to win a game or save his job. he had to be talked out of retiring, which may show just how much he wanted to put into helping us win. Minimal effort. And thats what our D was, the basic vanilla D that hoped for offenses to make mistakes and did nothing to force them.

I take Haslet with 43 guys lost in a 34 anyday over Blache in any situation.

Haslet in just 6 games has shown an exotic blitz. Gone with a different look (no down linemen). Is generating turnovers and could have more re: Rogers (he is getting more chances at drops this year). Made changes when needed (sat Carter, moved Landry to FS).

From those points alone, he has proven a better coach than Blache, who couldnt and wouldnt adjust to win a game or save his job. he had to be talked out of retiring, which may show just how much he wanted to put into helping us win. Minimal effort. And thats what our D was, the basic vanilla D that hoped for offenses to make mistakes and did nothing to force them.

Haven't seen one person disagree with this sentiment :)

Good thread, KDawg, and much needed. People bash Blache a bit excessively, though it was true he coached us to be way too non-aggressive. I still prefer this defense over Blache's a bit, simply because it's much more complicated and as time goes on the players will get more and more comfortable plus it's a lot more enjoyable to watch. We seem to be looking for a TO every snap.

Nope. Didn't leave out a word.

Name calling? Seriously? :ols: Where did I call you a name? I was responding to what you said about people whining. YOU called the people who didn't agree with you whiners, not me. And nor did I call you a whiner. And I speak up because it's that kind of thing that aggravates me to no end. People don't agree with you, that doesn't mean they're a whiner (or insert any other word here from "moron" to "dimwit" to "simpleton" and all the way back to "schmuck".) I don't feel like I'm whining the the least.

I feel like I'm providing a real view point and a genuine concern and some folks either don't bother to read the entire thread or they manage to paint a picture that isn't accurate. Much like you did with the whiner comment.

Clearly you misunderstood what I term whinning. To me it is people who are complaining. I see the problem as people having way too high of an expectation of this team and now either whinning/complaining or want Haslett fired. The team has played 6 games. 6. Changing from a 4-3 which the players used for like 10+ years to a 3-4 would presumably be slightly difficult especially with the DC not having all the right players for the switch. Now the question is when would there have been a good time to switch? It's very obvious the team would not get all the right players in one off season for both sides of the ball. Let me remind you Haslett came from the Steelers 3-4 scheme, tried the 4-3 with both the Saints and Rams and if you ask me bombed. Their defenses got worse each year. All he's doing now is coaching what might have actuall worked for him, the 3-4.

I'm with you though I never wanted Haslett, shocked we hired him, figured the defense would be a failur- much worse then it is now, but honestly I like what I see and it looks like the players are having fun vs. G.Williams or Blache's very strict defensive scheme. No I'm not happy about the yards being given up and hope they address it in the offseason by picking up an actual NT worth their weight in gold, but until then be happy for the team, instead of bashing it and calling for the DC's head.

Now back to the original statement, no I didn't name call. However calling someone a moron is name calling and yes your right it's like calling someone stupid which I never called you. Never even said "hey KDawg is a whinner." So if you felt slighted it was on you. But you can't say your not complaining about the defense which is what your doing so in essence our whinning. ;)

Funny off topic I noticed some words had one letter missing in them so I went to edit and it was there. I saved a second time and it didn't show up on the screen. Namely the second to the last word in my above comment. "our" is supposed to be "your."

Interesting stats. I hope things will improve to make perception a reality. I don't know what it is though, but I feel much more comfortable with the defense at this point then I did with Blache. So that intangible makes me value Haslett more than Blache, even if it doesn't really make any sense.

To paraphrase Ronald Reagan"are you better off this year than you were last year?" I think the jury is still out as to how the Redskin's defense will perform overall for this season as there have been some encouraging signs in terms of keeping teams out of the end zone (especially in the 3 W's) and in creating turnovers but some not-so-encouraging signs in the number of yards given up both in the air and on the ground. Given that the team is new to the 3-4 scheme and that Haslett is new to the team, and given the caliber of competition the team has faced so far early this season, I am cautionsly optimistic that the defense will be on par if not slightly better than last year's "D." However, the bottom line is wins and losses so I am certainly more happy with a game where the team wins 27-24 and the defense gives up 400 yds then a game where the team loses 17-14 and gives up 250 yds. This year's defense will be measured by its contribution to winning games.

KDawg,

I went back and looked at my statement and I thought I was actually agreeing with you and telling you to tell the whinners to shut up? Weird how you attack me when I'm agreeing with you. See I was jumping between the two top topics at the time which was your thread here and the "Fire Haslett" thread. So I simply said hey you don't have to show stats just tell the whinners to shut up and point out that the Saints made it to the SB with a defense that also gave up yardage.

Some how you get mad at me. Whatever.

But as I said to your responce something does not look right in your attack.....

Whiners? Welcome to Extremeskins, where having a coversation paints you as a whiner/moron.

I think you were trying to say "where having a conversation, and it paints you as a whiner/moron." or " where having a conversation, what paints you as a whiner/moron."

I don't know but like I said to me your statement was not sounding right or you missed a word. If I'm wrong then I actually am a moron.

KDawg,

I went back and looked at my statement and I thought I was actually agreeing with you and telling you to tell the whinners to shut up? Weird how you attack me when I'm agreeing with you. See I was jumping between the two top topics at the time which was your thread here and the "Fire Haslett" thread. So I simply said hey you don't have to show stats just tell the whinners to shut up and point out that the Saints made it to the SB with a defense that also gave up yardage.

Some how you get mad at me. Whatever.

But as I said to your responce something does not look right in your attack.....

I think you were trying to say "where having a conversation, and it paints you as a whiner/moron."

I don't know but like I said to me your statement was not sounding right or you missed a word. If I'm wrong then I actually am a moron.

Going back and readin it myself, no, it does not come off like you are agreeing with him. Due to the fact that you brought up the Saints defense (creating turnover but giving up yards) it looks like you are defending that Haslett is fielding a good defense as opposed to one that maybe isnt so good, which was his premise. So its actually very easy to see whey Kdawg would take it as what he did, Because that is exactly what it looks like to me. You calling him a whiner for saying that myabe Haslett hasnt been doing a great job, but cause you can win a SB with the same kind of defence (give up tons of yards, creat tunrovers).

And his sentence is correct, yours is actually incorrect as you are not supposed to use a "," before "and". Unless you misunderstood where for we're (we are) then your sentence structure makes more sence.

You don't go into games saying lets try to get turnovers and sacks. You go into games saying lets stop people and if the turnovers and sacks come, then thats a cherry on top. That being said this defense is awful. I've never seen anything like. Parcells stayed with the 4-3 until he got the personnel in place to run a 3-4. Another thing I hate is when teams are in an obvious passing situation. You know the screen or draw is coming. Doesn't seem like the Skins defense knows though. Also if a team has driven to the red zone, the Skins defense continues to run a zone and I'm like if u can't man up in the red zone, something is wrong. Teams get free releases off the line of scrimmage and I'm like what is that? They don't jam, re-route or anything. Its baffling and fustrating. IMO though this defense is terrible. Yeah they get TO's but I you can't just allow teams to drive down at will. It will eventually catch up with you. People aren't making as big a deal about right now because the Skins have had some early succcess.

I think Blache's 4-3 was fundamentally sound(other than the mistake of having Landry play FS).

Blache's problem was the lack of will to be aggressive.

Think about this on passing downs:

Rak and Carter at the ends

Fat Al and whoever out of Kemo, Bryant. or Daniels at DT

Landry in this year's position as SS/rover

Fletcher Rocky and let's say Alexander or Wilson at SLB

You couple that with Haslett's aggression and are you going to tell me that group can't pressure the QB?

Archived